homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Sending Abroad. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sending Abroad.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping Heaven is the right place for this thread. I've just sent parcels to friends working abroad. This set me thinking (and I'll be sending again.) If you were abroad, what would you like to be sent from home? Any ideas both serious and silly welcome.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Brazil, I only ask for drop (black liqorice) and nasi goreng herbs from the Netherlands.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite. Tea bags. British newspapers. (Less necessary now we have the Internet but still lovely sometime.) Posh gin. Shoes in my size. (Well if I were in Asia that would be necessary.) Proper crisps in lots of interesting flavours.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fiddleheads
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my sister lived abroad, anyone going to visit was requested to bring marmalade, preferably frank coopers oxford variety!

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite, a packet of M&S Walnut Whips, any flavour filling, and their Dark Chocolate Ginger biscuits.

[ 08. August 2014, 18:32: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Fiddleheads

Amen!

I'd add good coffee and bars of Dove soap.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From my childhood home to my adult home far away: sassafras!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Fiddleheads

Amen!

Thirded!

and real Alaskan salmon and halibut, because in my experience so far, nowhere else in the world knows fish. When I spent 2 years in exile (lived Outside) I was desperate enough for fish that my Ketchikan in-laws started sending me care packages of salmon, halibut, shrimp, and dungies. only thing that got me through.

I also would probably ask for coffee from one of our local roasteries.

oh, and salmonberry jam.

PS - and birch syrup.

[ 08. August 2014, 19:45: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sausages

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English teabags (pref Waitrose or Sainsburys Gold Blend, Yorkshire Tea comes in second place as not fairtrade) and bras - for some reason only the UK really does bras in my size.

Not sure what else - maybe English cider. The proper stuff, not Wrongbow.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister lives in Italy and goes for Cadbury's chocolate, dried fruit (for Christmas baking), cheddar cheese, bacon and tea bags. When we used to drive out there we'd take Ribena, but that's not so easy to send...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chokecherry and saskatoon berry jams. Shreddies. Kraft dinner. Maple syrup. Tea, but not teabag which is an inferior drink. We're currently sending all of this to England, except for KD and Shreds which are me things.

Fiddleheads are wonderful but I haven't seen them for decades in the west. I could also die for some fresh oysters. East > west.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
My sister lives in Italy and goes for Cadbury's chocolate, dried fruit (for Christmas baking), cheddar cheese, bacon and tea bags. When we used to drive out there we'd take Ribena, but that's not so easy to send...

Surely Italy has excellent bacon?? Or does she want back bacon? Also surprised at the requests for chocolate and cheese, two things Italy does pretty well....

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I brought back enough Marmite for a decade so that is okay - what I do like people to bring are Fishermans Friends, which keep quite well in the fridge. If folk can manage it some nice blue cheese is always welcome - Stilton or Blue Wensleydale or that French one they sell in all the supermarkets but whose name I can't remember - rich folk can bring me Barkham Blue but might need a security guard as it is so blooming expensive!

comet - we have great fish here - come visit!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saint Agur - that's the name, I think. Barkham Blue is similar except it is even creamier! You can feel your arteries clogging as you put it on your crackers!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Fiddleheads are wonderful but I haven't seen them for decades in the west.

you just haven't gone far enough, darling. come see me.

as soon as I get back from my India fish-tasting trip...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite from England and Atkins meal bars from the US.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite
Dark chocolate with sea salt
Maple syrup

These are the three things I always bring back with me to Kenya.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I am back at the leading edge of the world I want for nothing, but ofttimes on our western isle I hankered after Lemon and Paeroa (even if it is now manufactured by that evil American soft drink giant [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Brit Abroad™ and what we buy when we go back home includes (but is not limited to): Tiptree jam*, Bisto gravy granules, lamb and ham stock-cubes, Polo mints, Galaxy chocolate, Solpadeine headache tablets, Maldon salt and Sloggi knickers. And of course, it's nice to get British newspapers when we're home.

I wish someone could parcel up British television and send it to me - North American TV is cr@p.

* We can get some Tiptree jams here, but they're twice the price they are in the UK and anyway, a trip to the factory café for a cream tea has become a tradition when we're home, as it's only a few miles from D's mum's.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a visit to the Jam Museum is fun, too!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The advent of Marks and Sparks on the Champs Elysées has all but eliminated my need for care packages, but in the past the traditional gift for the ferryman from anyone coming over from the UK was a packet of teabags. French tea is too light for my English tastes. Once you add milk to French tea you basically have a cup of milk and hot water [Projectile]

In the past I always used to source my lingerie from the UK as well. In France lingerie either costs an arm and a leg, or it disintegrates after going through the washing machine twice.

M&S also sell English bacon, and in answer to Jade’s question, yes this makes me very happy. While all kinds of delicious charcuterie is available in France, they don’t have the kind of thick rashers that you can make into tasty English-style sandwiches.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was an English language assistant in the depths of Provence many years ago I did quite happily without anything English, but the unexpected sight of an M&S carrier bag brought forth an indescribable surge of homesickness.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
While all kinds of delicious charcuterie is available in France, they don’t have the kind of thick rashers that you can make into tasty English-style sandwiches.

Similarly, why don't the French make pork pies? The pig is a culinary hero in France but I've not found a pork pie there. Are there charcuteries that make pork pies? I find I have to make do with rillons when I'm over.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
While all kinds of delicious charcuterie is available in France, they don’t have the kind of thick rashers that you can make into tasty English-style sandwiches.

Similarly, why don't the French make pork pies? The pig is a culinary hero in France but I've not found a pork pie there. Are there charcuteries that make pork pies? I find I have to make do with rillons when I'm over.
They have good taste.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, to address the main question: Ranch salad dressing, or, better yet, the seasoning packets you use to make it at home. I was always surprised to not find some equivalent of it in Britain—no, salad cream isn't the same thing—given how good it is on fried things eaten with or after a couple beers. The people I introduced it to had about the same reaction.

Local seasonings and spice mixtures, which, I guess, kind of goes with #1. It's always hard to find the exact same type of pepper or spice powder you used on the other side of an ocean, and some things, like Old Bay, aren't going to be reproducible. This is true even for the other side of a time zone; the glut of chile powder I'm now enjoying is thanks to friends and family living in or visiting New Mexico who know just what I need.

For many Americans, peanut butter. Yes, it's available worldwide these days, but It's Just Not The Same, I've been told. I never much liked typical American peanut butter (too sweet), so I didn't much care—but others did.

Barbecue doesn't ship well, but, if it did, that would be up on the list.

After leaving England, I started looking for HP Sauce, strong tea, and English-style cider. Tea was easy enough, brown sauce was harder (even when you find it in the "British foods" section of a supermarket, it's usually the fruity kind, rather than straight up HP), and forget about cider. Americans will rave about how delicious Strongbow is. I don't know if Old Rosie can be bottled, but...

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... English bacon ...

[Waterworks]

You can't get back bacon here for love or money - what the hell use is streaky bacon for anything except draping over the breast of a chicken while you're roasting it?

One of the delights of staying in British hotels is Proper Bacon™ for breakfast.

Pity bringing some back wouldn't be (a) practical or (b) legal. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of my Aussie junk food needs can be supplied nowadays by ocado (at a premium) but the thing I get brought whenever an expat goes home is chocolate covered macadamias. Love that stuff.

And dukkah. I don't understand why it's so hard to buy over here.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dandelion & Burdock, liquorice allsorts, pickled herring (obviously not a problem if I'm moving to Scandinavia, but otherwise). I'd second the need for a good pork pie too.

If I'm sending food packages to my tropical rellies I often send butterscotch.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer the US style yog(h)urt to what is available in Europe. So if anyone in the US are thinking of sending some abroad...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'm a Brit Abroad™ and what we buy when we go back home includes (but is not limited to): Tiptree jam*, Bisto gravy granules, lamb and ham stock-cubes, Polo mints, Galaxy chocolate,

We can buy Bisto, Weetabix, and "proper" Heinz beans, courtesy of our local supermarket's dirty foreigner shelf, but Galaxy certainly comes back in the suitcase, along with Cadbury's Chocolate Buttons, Flakes and the like. And Cadbury's Mini Eggs for nest cakes at Easter. And sometimes tea - the Twinings English Breakfast on sale in the US doesn't seem to be the same blend as that on sale in the UK. If I could bring back a supply of non-sweet bread, I would.

I've taken to candying my own citrus peels (Christmas puddings for the use of), and whilst I miss the convenience of an Atora packet, can acquire suet from the butcher for "free".

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never left the country for more than two weeks so it's hard to really know but things I missed when I did were:
tea bags
squash
decent biscuit options
British chocolate - I think some of this is because hotter countries have to add things to stop it melting.
proper bacon butties

I'm sensing that these are pretty common things to miss.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
And dukkah. I don't understand why it's so hard to buy over here.

You have a thriving Lebanese community in Australia who like it, that's why. It hasn't caught on here partly because there's just too much competition from a lot of other culinary traditions, and the fashion recently has been Spanish, though that's now starting to wane.

It took a while for shawarma, hommous and pitta bread to make it to mainstream. Give it time; with the Levantine diaspora that's currently happening, I expect it will start to make an appearance one of these days. A lot of things I never expected to see here are starting to appear in supermarkets.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not entirely me:

proper bacon butties

Proper bacon can be found in some countries if you stop trying to look for British food and think Scandewegian. D*n*sh gets everywhere.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister, who lives in Germany, always requests Marmite and teabags (Yorkshire tea, I think). When I lived abroad, I missed Marmite most. I took my preferred teas (rooibos and Lapsang Souchong) with me and got TME to bring extras when he came to visit.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
I'm a Brit Abroad™ and what we buy when we go back home includes (but is not limited to): Tiptree jam*, Bisto gravy granules, lamb and ham stock-cubes, Polo mints, Galaxy chocolate,

We can buy Bisto, Weetabix, and "proper" Heinz beans, courtesy of our local supermarket's dirty foreigner shelf, but Galaxy certainly comes back in the suitcase, along with Cadbury's Chocolate Buttons, Flakes and the like. And Cadbury's Mini Eggs for nest cakes at Easter. And sometimes tea - the Twinings English Breakfast on sale in the US doesn't seem to be the same blend as that on sale in the UK. If I could bring back a supply of non-sweet bread, I would.

I've taken to candying my own citrus peels (Christmas puddings for the use of), and whilst I miss the convenience of an Atora packet, can acquire suet from the butcher for "free".

Isn't Dove chocolate the US version of Galaxy, or is it made differently?

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're spoiled for most foods here (southern Ontario) and you can even get fiddleheads at the farmers market. One thing I miss is broad beans - I think they can grow them, but the local taste abhors them. Then there's Marmite and Aberdeen butteries... But that's what makes a trip home extra special. Marks and Spencer closed their shops in Canada ages ago, so all underwear has to be imported - nothing else will do. Books are often a problem, and have to be sent for. Postage is baffling. Last week I received a regular journal that had accidentally been given a second class stamp, and it arrived in four days anyway.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Isn't Dove chocolate the US version of Galaxy, or is it made differently?

It's different. It occupies a similar niche, but it's not at all the same stuff.

Similarly, if you buy a Mars Bar in Europe, it isn't made with the same chocolate as a UK Mars Bar (and a US Milky Way is different again).

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's not something that could readily be shipped, but 3 months away from home in North America last year gave me a major craving for lamb.

Also, on a previous overseas trip I was tremendously excited when I saw some Bundaberg ginger beer. I suspect if I lived overseas I'd be asking for the occasional shipment of Bundaberg ginger beer.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea bags. Salt and vinegar crisps. Gravy granules.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

For many Americans, peanut butter. Yes, it's available worldwide these days, but It's Just Not The Same, I've been told. I never much liked typical American peanut butter (too sweet), so I didn't much care—but others did.

Years ago I befriended a German exchange student. He flipped for American peanut butter, bagels, and apple butter (from McCutcheons in Frederick, MD.) None of these (except perhaps the apple butter) was available in Germany at the time.

When we visited him, we brought a care package!

PS A hello wave from a Shippie who lives in Brightwood (DC) and goes to Brookland *all the time*. (Menomale!!!)

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
... 3 months away from home in North America last year gave me a major craving for lamb ...

You can get lamb in North America (well, in Canada anyway), but it tends to cost an arm and a leg, even if it isn't one. [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
if you buy a Mars Bar in Europe, it isn't made with the same chocolate as a UK Mars Bar ...

A friend of ours in Belfast used to reckon that Cadbury's chocolate from the Irish Republic was much nicer than the British stuff, so we always brought him back a couple of bars if we went over the border. I'm not sure that I could tell the difference: I always find Cadbury's chocolate a bit grainy anyway.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
... 3 months away from home in North America last year gave me a major craving for lamb ...

You can get lamb in North America (well, in Canada anyway), but it tends to cost an arm and a leg, even if it isn't one. [Big Grin]

Lamb is pricey even here in Wales. When Sainsbugs have it on offer (eg, half-price) we push the boat out. It's still more expensive than anything else* because it can't be farmed as intensively.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea, and if outside of Europe a wide selection of cheeses and decent chocolate.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
PS A hello wave from a Shippie who lives in Brightwood (DC) and goes to Brookland *all the time*. (Menomale!!!)

Mmmm, yes. A delicious import from Italy, down to the flour, tomatoes, and guy who makes the pizza.

I don't think you can usually put pizzioli in care packages, though if you poked enough air holes in the box for him...

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In spite of the huge local selection of cheese available, a friend in the Netherlands wanted Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.

A 5 pound block going through the X-ray machine at airport security is enough to guarantee that my suitcase gets opened for detailed inspection.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re lamb (and goat). In Canada befriend a local butcher shop. Failing that in western Canada, ask the Hutterites. It does show up in major grocery stores but is coming typically in a frozen boat from New Zealand or Australia. They seem to ship apples in the winter on other boats these days. Yet another boat for merino wool clothing, which is great on those 2 pairs of long johns plus ski pants days.

Marmite and Veggimite are available in Safeway here, and I also saw Marmite in London Drugs™.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sent a parcel from abroad every Sunday morning. Can I describe to you the taste, the memories, the promise? Words fail ..........

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do tell!

Re weird foods going through airport scanners (TMI alert, look away NOW)--

When I was nursing LL I had way more than enough milk, and my niece in California hadn't enough for her son of the same age. So Mr. Lamb and his brother took a frozen coolerful out by plane. An odd care package, and the looks on the faces of security when they asked the two guys what it was...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016