homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Order of Events

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Order of Events
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matthew 28
New English Translation (NET)
The Resurrection

28 Now after the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. 2 Suddenly there was a severe earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descending from heaven came and rolled away the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were shaken and became like dead men because they were so afraid of him. 5 But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here, for he has been raised, just as he said. Come and see the place where he was lying. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead. He is going ahead of you into Galilee. You will see him there.’ Listen, I have told you!” 8 So they left the tomb quickly, with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 But Jesus met them, saying, “Greetings!” They came to him, held on to his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee. They will see me there.”

I was looking at the order of events as reported by Matthew.

I noticed Matthew reports this very differently than the other Gospels.

A. The women are already at the tomb when suddenly there is an earthquake

B. The angel then descends from the heavens

1. The reaction of the guards: fainted--or were struck like dead men.

2. The angel speaks to the women

a. Do not be afraid

b. Jesus is not here

c. Go tell the disciples Jesus will be found in Galilee

C. The women leave quickly with fear and joy

1. Jesus meets them

2. They hold onto his feet

3. Jesus tells them to go to disciples to tell them they will find him in Galilee.

Just when you think you know the story, Matthew throws a wrench into the works.

What do you think of Matthew's version?

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A. Is wrong. It says they were there already, but Matthew says they were going. Got to allow some time for the trip.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had that spoken at the church today, about people finding Jesus ! They were really happy and pleased to meet Him.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps49, you missed a bit out. A big bit. The angel rolls the stone away and sits on it! In other words, Jesus isn't in the tomb before the stone is rolled away.

Personally, I like Matthew's account. It's full of OTT action!

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
The angel rolls the stone away and sits on it! In other words, Jesus isn't in the tomb before the stone is rolled away.

I often wonder if the big earthquake is happening as the angel is rolling away the stone and Jesus is rising.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's Joseph of Arimathea while all this is happening?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably at home in bed, or if he's an early riser, brushing his teeth.* We haven't seen the guy since Jesus' burial. Presumably he links up with the rest of the believers later, after he hears the news (gossip must have been flying that next week or two), but at this point, he's wherever an honorable Council member should be.

* Yeah, yeah, you pedants, I know they didn't have toothbrushes. Sheesh.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016