homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is the first religious song you can ever remember learning? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is the first religious song you can ever remember learning?
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At home? At Sunday School? At school? When you joined a choir?

Songs learnt in childhood can be very powerful and can stay with you for life. One of the earliest ones I learnt was one my grandmother used to go around the house singing:

'Count your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At church, it was "When He Cometh", which, frankly, I still find rather perplexing but very fun to sing. (Which is also true of "When Mothers of Salem", another church standard back in the day.)

At the evangelical VBS in town, you know, that we took the big bus to and that paid us in chocolate Smarties for each friend we brought, it was "His Banner Over Me is Love". It has some perplexing bits too but the chorus is totally kid friendly and made sense. Also fun to sing and included actions.

Chorus:
For God loves you
and I love you
and that's the way it should be.
Alleluia.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given what 'his banner over me' means, not sure that's very child-friendly! [Big Grin]

The first one I remember learning was Shine Jesus Shine, from watching Songs of Praise with my great-grandmother.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bob un sydd ffyddlon

[ 28. March 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: Trisagion ]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wise man built his house upon the rock
And the rains came tumbling down

The rains came down and the floods came up
And the house on the rock stood firm.

The foolish man built his house upon the sand
And the rains came tumbling down

And the house on the sand went pbbth

(There were hand motions but I've long forgot them. I was about 6.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dubious Thomas
Shipmate
# 10144

- Posted      Profile for Dubious Thomas         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus loves me this I know....

--------------------
שפך חמתך אל־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך
Psalm 79:6

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Sunday School I can remember singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam"-- schmaltzy, but cute. In children's choir I remember singing "Fairest Lord Jesus". And in church I remember singing "We Gather Together" at Thanksgiving time.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy, Holy, Holy by Reginald Heber. I think my parents came to dread that song as I insisted on singing it to them over and over....

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus loves me, this I know
and O come, all ye faithful, the last is still one of my favourites, although I now sing it in Latin.

When I was dragged to church as a child (and after I learnt to read) my favourite hymn was Holy, Holy, Holy which was hymn number one in the Canadian Anglican Book of Common praise. I was an inveterate reader of the Index of First Lines, and used to amuse myself during the boring parts of the service by moving back to the hymn from the Index.

Nearly 45 years a Catholic (April 6, 1969) and I still remember all those (mostly evangelical) hymns, few of which I have heard since then.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are one in the Spirit

We sang this regularly during Mass at my Convent School and even now I still sometimes find myself humming away....and I'm still passionate about its message too.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first I learnt was Count your blessings- but the one I learnt fairly soon after and which has stayed with me is Hold The Fort for I am coming, Jesus signals still. I always chose it if given the opportunity at Sunday School

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first I remember learning was Swing Low, Sweet Chariot which I learned from my father aged about four. Rather ironic considering he we have both always been Welsh rugby supporters, I didn't learn Cwm Rhondda until a few years later

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earliest known (I cannot remember learning it but I must) is the last verse of Away in a Manger

I love the Lord Jesus I ask thee to stay
close by me forever and ever I pray
Bless all the dear children to thy tender care
and take us to heave to live with thee there.

However the two I remember

Dropping dropping dropping
Here the pennies dropping
everyone for Jesus
he shall have them all

which was the collections hymn every week at Sunday School.

I am H a p p y, I am H a p p y
I know I am, I sure I am
I am H a p p y.

Which was the one verse my Gran taught me. It does not even look religious until you know that there is a verse that S A V E D instead of H A P P Y

I am slightly worried about the theology of this.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lift high the Cross to the Sydney Nicholson tune.

It was at my father's Induction and I could read the hymn book for the first time. Still one of my favourites...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus bids us shine with a pure clear light
Like a little candle burning in the night.
In this world of darkness so we must shine
You in your small corner and I in mine.

I can remember singing this in kindergarten (the school would probably not be allowed to indoctrinate kids these days).

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto, Bib!

Also "Glorious things of thee are spoken" which I still love despite the main tune for it being Austria. Fascists have the best music!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first I can remember is Morning has broken, sung at school. I remember it because one of our punishments at school was being made to stand in a corner of the playground, watching the other children play but not being allowed participate. It was commonly referred to as "seeing play," eg. "Bertie was naughty, so he had to see play." Thus, I completely mis-parsed and misinterpreted that line "Born of the one light // Eden saw play."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one here for H-A-P-P-Y in the 'primary' section of Sunday school (age from 3).

I also recall my Grandma singing all the time:

'Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain
Heavenly breezes blow
Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain
Faces all aglow
Leave all your cares behind you
looking to the sky
Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain
You and I'

Once again, looking at the words, it doesn't even seem particularly 'religious' but it certainly felt like it!

Other early Sunday School choruses were 'Build on the rock'
'I will make you fishers of men'
'I met Jesus at the Crossroads'
and many more. All these I knew before I was five.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweet Sacrament We Thee Adore

Although I heard the line "Oh with what gifts of fervent praise" as "Oh and what gives with irreverent praise."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate to say it, but it was probably Kum Ba Yah. Which is right up there with Shine Jesus Shine. Corn syrupy goodness.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably either All things bright and beautiful or Awake my soul and with the sun which in those far off days quite often used to mark the beginning of the school day.

I've heard All things bright and beautiful fairly recently. I used to like the bit about the purple headed mountain, the river running by. But does anyone still sing Awake my soul and with the sun these days. It's the opposite number to Glory to thee, my God this night.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The birds up in the tree-tops sing this song
they fill the air with music all day long;
the flowers in the garden, praise him too
So why shouldn't I, why shouldn't you, praise him too.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn’t go to church as a child but remember learning hymns at school. There are two that I associate with my earliest time at primary school, which we seemed to sing over and over again. One was ‘Winter Creeps’ and all I can remember of it is this:

Winter creeps,
Nature sleeps,
Leaves are shed,
All is dead.

God's alive,
Grow and grive, [??]
[something about May and June]
Nought but green
Will be seen.

And the other was

For the beauty of the earth,
For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies…

And I always used to wonder what a ‘lovewhich’ was. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is the absolute first, but I recall learning to sing it in Grade 3 or so, which makes it pretty early.

Matthew Mark, Luke, and John
Heard good news and they passed it on.
Learn, listen, look and see.
The gospel books for you and me.

Good News! Good News!
The gospel means Good News.
Shout it!
Good News! Good News! The gospel means Good News!

And while I doubt that I had ever heard of Satanism in Grade 3, it must have just occured to me as a logical corrolary, because I remember singing to a friend...

Bad News! Bad News!
The devil's book means Bad News!

Granted, "the devil's book" was a pretty awkward stand-in for some hypothetical Satanic gospel, but since I did not at that point know the name of such a book...

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
We are one in the Spirit

We sang this regularly during Mass at my Convent School and even now I still sometimes find myself humming away....and I'm still passionate about its message too.

I think that song was meant to capture what the writer thought would have been the spirit of the early church, operating in a quasi-underground fashion as a minority faith.

Here's an obituary for the songwriter. As I had always assumed, the lyrics were a direct reference to the ecumenical movement.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Peter Scholtes' Missa Bossa Nova

I guess Scholtes is one of the guys people might blame for the supposed aesthetic atrocity of folk-masses. I never knew those songs were supposed to be Bossa Nova. Nor, I suspect, did most of the white-bread suburbanites who sang them.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was wee, I loved singing the Sunday School songs!

'Jesus Loves Me' was probably the first I learned.

'One Door and Only One' was a favorite.

Zacchaeus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he!

'Climb, Climb Up Sunshine Mountain'.

Now I'm singing all of these! I can't stop!

'Happy Day Express' is in my head now.

Chorister! Thanks for all the ear worms!! [Razz]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
I bob un sydd ffyddlon

Good song - we used to sing it in assembly - that and Calon lan were the hymns for Welsh assembly.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was "Away in a Manger" although "All Things Bright and Beautiful" is also a early memory.

At school, from age 5, we had the grace "Thank you for the world so sweet, Thank you for the food we eat, Thank you for the birds that sing, Thank you Lord for everything" which, whilst not a song, was chanted in a sing-song fashion.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh what memories all of these have brought back- along with Do you want a pilot signal then for Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus, and from early school days At the Name of Jesus

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those two Latin ones at Benefiction. O Salutaris. And Tantum Ergo. I used to think they were about saluting and losing your temper.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Over the seas there are little black children."

Even then there were little black children in the UK, but not where I grew up except in schmaltzy patronizing song.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember lots of these from being very young indeed: definitely 'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam', 'I'm H-A-P-P-Y', and 'Jesus bids us shine'.

I also have very clear memories of this one, which had actions that went with it:

Only a boy named David
Only a little sling
Only a boy named David
But he could pray and sing
Only a boy named David
Only a rippling brook
Only a boy named David
But five little stones he took.

And one little stone went in the sling
And the sling went round and round
And one little stone went in the sling
And the sling went round and round
And round and round
And round and round
And round and round and round
And one little prayer went up to God
And the giant came tumbling down.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one for, "Jesus Loves Me This I Know."
also J-E-S-U-S
he is the one I am living for.
J-E-S-U-S.
more like a cheer then a song.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My introduction to playing a musical instrument was in junior school doing Ye Holy Angels Bright on chime bars. One chime bar for each child, I got the D chime bar. (At least I didn't get the F# bar or I'd have only got to ding once.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Dropping dropping dropping
Here the pennies dropping
everyone for Jesus
he shall have them all

Same here.

Hear the pennies dropping
Listen while they fall
Every one for Jesus,
He shall have them all
Dropping, dropping, dropping, dropping
Hear the pennies fall
Every one for Jesus
He shall have them all

My mother always claimed that when she asked me, after my first Sunday School session, what we had sung, I replied, "Droppings".

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in ev'ry mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine.
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
He is my Father so they're mine as well;
God owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me.

Can't remember the rest. My Mum used to sing that to me every night when she put me to bed.About 60 years ago!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else get a smile remembering 'Do Lord'?

'This Little Light of Mine' is still a favorite with our choir, sung to a jazzy accompaniment.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From school (aged 8) "Oh Jesus I have Promised" and "He who would valiant be".

From Sunday School "Now Zacheus was a very little man".

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
I didn’t go to church as a child but remember learning hymns at school. There are two that I associate with my earliest time at primary school, which we seemed to sing over and over again. One was ‘Winter Creeps’ and all I can remember of it is this:

Winter creeps,
Nature sleeps,
Leaves are shed,
All is dead.

God's alive,
Grow and grive, [??]
[something about May and June]
Nought but green
Will be seen.

Winter creeps,
Nature sleeps;
Birds are gone,
Flowers are none,
Fields are bare,
Bleak the air,
Leaves are shed:
All seems dead.

God’s alive!
Grow and Thrive,
Hidden away,
Bloom of May,
Robe of June,
Very soon
Nought but green
Will be seen!

[Smile]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been taken to church every week since I was one week old I'm pretty sure most of the hymns and songs soaked into my consciousness long before I was aware of them. I know that quite early on I learned all the children's "standards" in Sabbath School -- Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Loves the Little Children, The B-I-B-L-E, etc. I had forgotten about "Jesus Bids us Shine" until someone mentioned it above, but that was one of the ones I learned quite early on too.

But the songs that linger with me longest are the ones my great-aunt, who was my daily caregiver while my parents worked and in whose house we lived, used to sing to me. "When He Cometh" was one of her favourites and to this day it takes me right back to the kitchen of my childhood. Another one she often sang, which I haven't heard anywhere else, was,

Someone shall enter the pearly gates
By and by, by and by
Feast on the pleasures that there await,
Shall you? Shall I?

It had a very haunting, melancholy tune (at least, as my aunt sang it) which seemed to fit well with the theological message, which as a child made me feel that salvation was a bit of a matter of random chance. Anyone else remember that one?

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Drifting Star!

Yes, 'Grow and thrive' makes more sense [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

'This Little Light of Mine' is still a favorite with our choir, sung to a jazzy accompaniment.

You have just created an image in my mind of a New Orleans marching band playing this song.

Thank You.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Onward Christian Soldiers I learned at primary school (nursery school) when I was three and I also sang it at Sunday School.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to "Jesus Loves Me" and "Zacchaeus", the other one I remember learning waaaaaaay back was:

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes, that's the book for me...

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no memory of learning "Away in a manger", but family legend has it I knew it all before I was 2.

"Jesus bides us shine" I certainly do remember learning before I started school, and before I started Sunday School.

"I may never march in the infantry" is possibly the first I remember learning in Sunday School, though "I will make you fishers of men" is also a strong contender there, along with "The wise man built his house upon the rock."

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were a butterfly was part of car journeys from a young age, as was Peter and James went to pray and met a lame man on they way and one about Peter James and John in a Sailboat

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Jesus I have promised and Hark, the vesper hymn is stealing - and I still love Morning has broken

Edited for rubbish typing

[ 30. March 2014, 20:22: Message edited by: Bene Gesserit ]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Sunday school went for the militant

There's a fight to be fought and a race to be run
There are dangers to meet by the way.
But The Lord is my light and The Lord is my life
And The Lord is my strength and stay.
On how word I depend,
He's my Saviour and friend
And he tells me to trust and obey.
For The Lord is my light and The Lord is my life (long pause here on a high note!)
And The Lord is my strength and stay.

It was number 189 in the CSSM book. Eventually we were rationed to having it only once a month. Much more fun than By blue Galilee, which we also had. The second favourite was

When the road is fought and steep (clap, clap)
Fix your eyes upon Jesus....

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

You have just created an image in my mind of a New Orleans marching band playing this song.

Thank You.

[Big Grin]

I hope I don't ruin your image if I tell you our NO marching band is just me on the piano. [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016