homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » SOF RPG Mechanic Votes 1

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: SOF RPG Mechanic Votes 1
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In order to support the develop of the SOF RPG, and following considerable discussion, I am putting up a poll to vote on some of the system decisions.

Key information can found on the RPG construction and RPG meta-thread.

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am of course hugely biased [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the record, when I got to five I realised I had a preference, but would not find it earth shattering if that option were not available.

I guess I like the idea of a system that meshes with the Ship, but we don't need to reinvent the wheel-- if there are systems out there that work well, it's a good idea to study them for pointers, at least. Maybe even test-run a proprietary game once or twice to see how it works.

[ 18. May 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I like the idea of something homespun, I'd also be OK with taking something very open-ended and making the minimum number of tweaks needed to make it ship-worthy.

I'd also say that I don't think I'd be particularly interested in playing a communal character, but I have no problem with others doing it. If two people were ready, willing and able to communal GM that might be a good thing. (The coordination work it would add to the gig may well not make it much less work than doing it on one's own).

[ 18. May 2014, 18:09: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
If there are systems out there that work well, it's a good idea to study them for pointers, at least. Maybe even test-run a proprietary game once or twice to see how it works.

Risus would be my choice for a test, nice and simple - with these one page challenge resources.

Most importantly for SOF, it is a free system that allows others to use it provided it is correctly cited. So no copyright issues for the ship.

[ 18. May 2014, 19:55: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Info

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
.. Hmm. Sexy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting results. I expected to be completely out in left field, but in fact I'm very much like everyone else. Or they're very much like me, which is a pleasing idea.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Some clear preferences have emerged which is helpful.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The one surprise for me here is that people seem pretty keen on keeping our current skills system. I'm not horribly opposed to this, but I did think the backgrounds idea was pretty nifty. I'd be interested to know if it's that other people don't like the backgrounds idea, or if people are OK with skills and mainly just don't want to fiddle with things that are working fine.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I suspect backgrounds doesn't really solve the problem of a) having to think stuff up without a list and b) still requires negotiation but at more inconvenient times.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
The one surprise for me here is that people seem pretty keen on keeping our current skills system. I'm not horribly opposed to this, but I did think the backgrounds idea was pretty nifty. I'd be interested to know if it's that other people don't like the backgrounds idea, or if people are OK with skills and mainly just don't want to fiddle with things that are working fine.

I know that for myself I would have been fine with backgrounds too, but feel the skill system is fine and since I could only pick one I picked the easier one.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016