homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pope calls for new look at gay marriage?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pope calls for new look at gay marriage?
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this article the Pope is going to be asking Bishops what the faithful actually think of gay marriage. However, it's hardly an unbiased source, and even the comments afterwards point out the situation is a lot more complicated than the headline suggests.

Anyway, I was wondering if the topic is at all likely to come up in next year's "extraordinary synod", and if there is likely to be any softening of the official line under Pope Francis?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Extraordinary Synod will in all likelihood merely result in a change in tone. There will be some document issued on "pastoral guidelines" that liberals will point to as proof that change is in the air but that conservatives will reject by pointing to the fact that Church teaching on remarriage after divorce, same sex marriage, artificial birth control, etc., remains unchanged. It's all part of a big PR campaign and no about changing any of the things liberals want change. The only thing that is really change-able is allowing married priests, and even though that might be a reasonable idea I doubt the current system could stomach it.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many "surprises" will occur during this Extraordinary Synod: bishops asking for ordained women, married priests who aren't converts or Eastern Rite, calls for contraceptive reevaluation.

It's hard to fathom that a group of people who tend to perpetuate the succession of similar people with similar minds can actually produce surprises at all, but I have a feeling we are in for some shockers (even if it's a private event, mitres seem to loosen people's lips a bit).

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
According to this article the Pope is going to be asking Bishops what the faithful actually think of gay marriage. However, it's hardly an unbiased source, and even the comments afterwards point out the situation is a lot more complicated than the headline suggests.

Anyway, I was wondering if the topic is at all likely to come up in next year's "extraordinary synod", and if there is likely to be any softening of the official line under Pope Francis?

I hope that this works out better than Humanae Vitae did.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waw consecutivum
Apprentice
# 18120

- Posted      Profile for Waw consecutivum   Email Waw consecutivum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is striking:

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/martin-irlanda-ireland-31976/

And this - in its context, of course - is remarkable, and puzzling:

"...According to the Argentinean theologian “there also needs to be reference to a context close to home, that is always positive in light of what is being considered or proposed. For example, it is no good opposing same-sex marriage because people tend to see us as a group of resentful, cruel, insensitive, over-the-top even, individuals. It is an entirely different thing to talk about the beauty of marriage and the harmony of differences that form part of an alliance between a man and woman. This positive context speaks for itself when it comes to showing that the use of the same term “marriage” to describe same-sex unions, in unsuitable.”

Fernández believes some have taken non negotiable principles too far, “distorting Benedict XVI’s teaching.” “Some have even claimed that all Church teachings depend and are based on non negotiable principles. This certainly is heresy! To claim that Jesus Christ, his resurrection, fraternal love and all that the Gospel teaches us depends on ethical principles is a distortion of Christianity...” "

http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/reviews/detail/articolo/francesco-francis-francisco-rodari-32436/

The theological question - or one of them - is, how, if gay unions were considered worthy of Christians, would such a recognition affect the rest of the Church's doctrine, and be compatible with the NT teaching on the calling of the Christian and the Church "to be holy, as He is Holy" ?

--------------------
James

Posts: 17 | From: North-Western Middle Earth | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Francis will repent of his anti British and pro Argentinian junta attitudes at the same time.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waw consecutivum:
The theological question - or one of them - is, how, if gay unions were considered worthy of Christians, would such a recognition affect the rest of the Church's doctrine, and be compatible with the NT teaching on the calling of the Christian and the Church "to be holy, as He is Holy" ?

Forgive me if I've misunderstood - are you saying it's not possible to be in a gay union and to be holy?

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waw Consectivum:
quote:
"...it is no good opposing same-sex marriage because people tend to see us as a group of resentful, cruel, insensitive, over-the-top even, individuals. It is an entirely different thing to talk about the beauty of marriage and the harmony of differences that form part of an alliance between a man and woman. This positive context speaks for itself when it comes to showing that the use of the same term “marriage” to describe same-sex unions, in unsuitable.”
Forgive me if I have misunderstood, but this sounds like "We still think same-sex marriage is wrong but we're going to say so nicely."

As Justinian is so fond of saying, there isn't a nice way of telling two people in love that they can't get married.

[ 02. June 2014, 10:08: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the differences that there are been individuals of the same sex, even straight ones, surely there can be a harmony between people of the same sex? Not all women are the same. Not all men are the same. One of the reasons I am not married is the persistent occurrence of discord between the men who seemed interested and me. Especially as they didn't actually seem that interested in the me I knew I was, but wanted one whose harmonics lay in the "Oh my dear, how wonderful you are, here's a lovely meal," direction. (I thought the Dr Who episode with Headless Monks was very wrong - it should surely have been Headless Nuns.)

[ 02. June 2014, 16:05: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016