homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 25 word stories. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 25 word stories.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam is wondering ... he scratches his head in wonder.

Could the Shipmate write individual stories in exactly twenty five words?

Let's see how they do.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A flash of lightening illuminates an empty page, followed by a clap of thunder. The author stares at the paper — the muse isn't flowing tonight.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Imaginary Friend sat at his desk procrastinating from w*rk. "How to waste time next...?" he wondered. A new game appeared in the Circus. That's how!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a dark and stormy night, and even that could not inspire Edward to write a decent Bulwer-Lytton Contest entry. Another April 15 shot.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Badly wounded, the soldier pulled himself off the barbed wire and struggled to get back to the the safety of the home trenches.

Failed.

And died.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My darling. I adore you and worship the ground you walk on. Will you marry me?"

"Not a bleeding chance" she scoffed.

"Ok, fair enough."

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cat stalked the mouse, pounced, carried it into the house and dropped it under the bed. Screams were heard. The mouse lives there still.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Maybe you're right. It's been a rough few years. A night out would be a pleasant change.'

'They're playing a comedy. You'll love it, Abe.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feet at the water's edge, he took a deep breath. Who knew what fate might have in store across the river? The Rubicon innocently flowed.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elephant strained to get the topmost leaves, breaking a branch of the tree. The nest fell down, the eggs broke and the parent birds cried.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rafting the white water, he was cast out of the boat, cracked his head on a massive lump of granite.

The verdict was accidental death.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Come in for your tea, Isaac!' The boy hurried towards the house. Behind him, an apple dropped to earth. The tree sighed. Damn. Missed again.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Their best friends now married, Brad and Janet headed off into the rainy night to see their good friend Dr Scott. Much musical mayhem ensued.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[This is not my 25-word story, as such, but given my username I can't resist posting a version of it here under this heading...]

Siena made me; Maremma unmade me. And if you don't know what that means, I suggest you ask my husband.

I am Pia. Remember me.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michael came home, yelled at Melinda, making her cry. They remained satisfactorily married('til death do us part etc), but things were never the same.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were never going to get on properly again. Understandable, given that she had just killed and served up his parents.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The lady was beautiful, invariably cheerful, with a broad smile - but snaggle-toothed. The painter put down his palette. 'Believe me, subtle is better' said Leonardo.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edward Gorey's The Happy Ending

Each panel being a self-contained variation on the theme.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The map clearly showed a bridge over the piranha infested river. Being trusting souls they drove on in the foggy night.

The map was wrong.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The grey-bearded yokel pointed a wavering finger at the ancient crypt.

"Whatever you do, don't open it!"

The antiquary frowned thoughtfully. "OK."

And didn't.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My darling. I adore you and worship the ground you walk on. Will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" she sighed.

"Oh! Wasn't expecting that!"

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Prior to phoning his boss and calling him a lunkheaded scumbag, it would have been advisable for Billy to double-check the lotto listings. Alas...

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The late Ted Bundy euphorically floated down the corridor of light surrounded by lilting melodies. Ooopsy! Hell is well lighted and plays Muzak continuously.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mama died today. Or possibly yesterday. Anyway, it wrecked my concentration so I blew the interview. Who will marry me now? "I will," Philippe said.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

"You what, mate?" he exclaimed.

"Ooops! Wrong person! Sorry!"

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gregor Samsa woke up transformed into a giant insect. His horrified wife divorced him. His cat shunned him. He lives with his elderly mother now.

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The gas from that meal was so bad that I caught on fire. They said it was spontaneous human combustion; however, it was the beans.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

"Yes, yes, yes!"

"Actually, I was talking to your daughter."

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

Oscar, [Overused]

On a duller note --

Three sisters lived in the boondocks, dreaming of Moscow, "Nothing ever happens here!" they cried. Years passed. Nothing ever did happen. Or not much, anyway.

[ 03. June 2014, 19:57: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lonely Viking dreamed a maiden, fought through blood and fire to find her. But she was back beside the hearth he left, foolish Viking.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Irish novelist was bored so he wrote a boring book so other people could be bored, too. He set it in Dublin. It worked.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

"But we’re already married!"

"Oh. I had quite forgotten."

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

My bicycle gears wouldn't shift properly. This thread inspired me to take action. So I went to a local bike shop where they fixed it.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roy's boys fearlessly flew to Brazil. Two defeats and a stodgy draw later they returned, tail between legs. England look for a new head coach.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

“Je ne parle pas anglais.”

"That’s a ‘yes’ then."

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walking along Shuttleworth Road, I heard a voice from inside a house shouting 'You've started on a new margarine without finishing the old one first!'
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Should I:

- go to China
- write that monograph/novel
- type up the minutes
- go to bed?'

K's eyes skimmed the screen. The answer? Chocolate. Again.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

In the sequel:

Svetlana's novel was complete. So were the minutes of that disputatious vestry meeting.

On the Beijing flight, Svetlana reclined in her sleeper seat and smiled.

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Ben skewered the rat like a weiner and roasted it over the fire. It didn't taste like chicken. His stomach was pumped the next day.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The sequel:

At the hospital, Ben's doctor also diagnosed appendicitis. As a committed communist, the doctor she removed Ben's intestines, liberating the oppressed appendix. ¡Viva la revoluçión!

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan woke up one morning to find a new picture of himself on his phone, sound asleep in his bed. He lives, he thought, alone.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The posh new computer arrived, it was wonderful except the idiot installer had loaded Office 2007 and not the 2003 version, as had been requested!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miranda dolefully picked the scab on the side of her head. She was weary of having a skin condition. She desperately craved a ham sandwich.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

He cycled into town in the early morning to visit the ATM. The machine was not working. What a complete and utter waste of time!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She woke to the sound of movement in the kitchen.
A man was climbing through the window.
Her teenage son had forgotten his keys again!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The teenager had forgotten his keys so decided to climb in through the window. Such a shame he chose the wrong house, with large dog!

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The large dog made that throaty coughing sound they do just before vommitting. Later, the teenager cleaned up the mess, and also fixed the window.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The large dog desperately craved a ham sandwich but the teenager wasn't a fool! He only intended to clean up vomit once in his life!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The perfumery was a joy to the olfactory senses but to some the major effect was to induce hay fever. I had forgotten my antihistamine.

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The conductor raised his baton. The violins took up the opening strains of the Brahms. Sadly, the brass section thought they were playing the Mahler.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016