homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wot no Wimbledon Thread 2014 !?!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Wot no Wimbledon Thread 2014 !?!
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what do we think ? Kukushkin has just gone up a set against Nadal !

Could Nadal crash out before he faces Andy Murray ?

(Also what is going on with special K's shins [Paranoid] )

[ 28. June 2014, 13:28: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Answer to your question: No.

Federer is in good form.

And it may do the longer-established players some good that Lopez (19) and other likely last 16ers have had their matches postponed to Monday...

Sharapova under the roof is incredibly loud - possibly an 'elf 'n' safety risk to hearing?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaaand Nadal's out - to someone outside the top 100 - though apparently he struggles to get past this round nromally.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a day - Sharapova out, the Williams sisters out and Nadal out.

Kyrgios was spectacular - he really deserved his win. One worth look, although I doubt he will get much further this year.

Kerber was superb and I would tip for a final place. As we are going on Saturday, I might get to see her play!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Murray out.

With a whimper, not a bang.

His body language was bad from the outset and his style of play completely different from his previous three matches. WHY?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's because Murray teamed up with other British sporting stars in deciding that 2014 would be the year when we let someone else win. We've had a fair amount of success across a variety of sports over the last couple of years.

Unfortunately, somebody also CC'd the memo to the football team who weren't supposed to be in on it.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Murray was definitely not on form. There might be a whole lot of reasons behind this, and it is a pity, but he deserved to lose.

At the start of the tournament, the commentators were saying that the top 4 were pretty much certs for the semi-finals, we have now lost 2 of them.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been a fair lot of talk from the commentators about the 'new generation' breaking through. It would be a quare geg, as they say at home, if Federer were to take it this year (though I suspect it will be Djokovic).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or what about the nice Canadian who put out the bloke who put out Nadal?

I saw that match, and he's not at all bad - huge serve, but not restricted to the boring "serve-volley-repeat" that we got from people like Pete Sampras.

I didn't see Andy Murray's match, but with a scoreline like that, I wondered if he'd succumbed to the virus (or whatever it is) that afflicted poor Serena Williams.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I didn't see Andy Murray's match, but with a scoreline like that, I wondered if he'd succumbed to the virus (or whatever it is) that afflicted poor Serena Williams.

I did think the same. He was so much worse than in previous matches, I cannot accept that it was just a "bad day at the office".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad for Serena. I played mixed doubles years ago, perhaps with my sister. It was fun. I took lessons as a lad...

Fascinated to see the new people like Eugenie doing so well!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:

Unfortunately, somebody also CC'd the memo to the football team who weren't supposed to be in on it.

Roy Hodgson is a bumbling incompetent who should be sacked!

That said, USA would have gone through if only they'd had some offence!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great to see Bouchard in the final. Can Raonic be next?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Who?

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Milos Raonic, eh?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Great to see Bouchard in the final. Can Raonic be next?

I suspect this will be the next bit in a long learning curve for Raonic. Federer knows how to play at this time of the tournament. Although Raonic, by all reports has added to his game, he still has issues with his backhand. Federer will focus on that and kill him, probably in 4 sets. This will spur Raonic to train on his backhand even more, which will be good.

I would not mind being wrong about the loss.

Raonic will win a few Grand Slam titles if he keeps up his mental approach to the game. He's got a good brain to match his serve.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I read a rumour that he'd had an argument with his girlfriend just before the match started. I wasn't watching but apparently the mics caught him muttering at some point 'Five minutes before the @*$^ing match'. (Though I don't know whether the rumours of an argument are based on any more information than this.)

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my! That was a stonking game between Djokovic and Dmititrov.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't it? And so very athletic - the amount of diving after impossible returns - and occasionally making them - was extraordinary. I don't doubt we'll be seeing him back.

The Federer/Raonic seems stately in comparison.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Some of the controlled sliding was amazing.

Last week, I made a prediction (to Mrs Cat) that the mens final would be Federer vs Djokovic, Federer winning. That is looking more likely now. Mind you, I reckoned Nadal and Murray would be the other semi-finalists, so I am not doing that well.

She predicted Murray to win, so she is losing that battle.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Federer/Raonic match really doesn't have the entertainment factor in anything like the same way.
Raonic needs to develop his game beyond just the serve....

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Never mind Djokovic, Federer et al.

I'm watching Bahrami/Leconte vs McNamara/McNamee and it's absolute gold. Pure comedy genius, but incredible talent underlying that.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

I did think the same. He was so much worse than in previous matches, I cannot accept that it was just a "bad day at the office".
I began to wonder whether someone was putting something in the food, so many of the 'greats' were falling like flies....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

The women's final is starting to look like a bit of a walkover for Kvitova.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Bloody 'ell that was quick.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

She was definitely recalibrated to 'Kill'. None of this three set business.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't decide whether the crowd was behind Bouchard because she's Canadian and is therefore (a) nice and (b) a fellow-subject of Her Majesty, or just because she was the underdog. And it seemed that the further under she got, the more they supported her.

I felt sorry for her, because I'm sure she's a good player, but Kvitova was absolutely blistering.

I was absolutely fizzing with TSN (the main network that shows Wimbledon here); they showed the men's doubles until 4:30 our time when they were a couple of games into the final set, and then transferred it to TSN2, which is one of the channels we haven't got, so that they could show a rounders match (or something like that). [Mad]

However, I have now seen the result, and we have a Canadian champion - Mr. Popsicle, along with his American partner Mr. Sock. You couldn't make it up*.

* Actually I did make it up - the gentleman's name is actually Mr. Pospisil, but the other bloke really was called Mr. Sock. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry for the double-post - I've just noticed this:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
... I'm watching Bahrami/Leconte vs McNamara/McNamee ...

I so wish I'd been able to see that - I always used to love the oldies' doubles matches, with nobody taking it too seriously. They could easily have shown that sort of thing when the ladies' final was so short, but it would never occur to them over here - instead they repeated Djokovic's semi-final.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I gave up when people I've never heard of began to win.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
I couldn't decide whether the crowd was behind Bouchard because she's Canadian and is therefore (a) nice and (b) a fellow-subject of Her Majesty, or just because she was the underdog. And it seemed that the further under she got, the more they supported her.

I felt sorry for her, because I'm sure she's a good player, but Kvitova was absolutely blistering.

I was absolutely fizzing with TSN (the main network that shows Wimbledon here); they showed the men's doubles until 4:30 our time when they were a couple of games into the final set, and then transferred it to TSN2, which is one of the channels we haven't got, so that they could show a rounders match (or something like that). [Mad]

However, I have now seen the result, and we have a Canadian champion - Mr. Popsicle, along with his American partner Mr. Sock. You couldn't make it up*.

* Actually I did make it up - the gentleman's name is actually Mr. Pospisil, but the other bloke really was called Mr. Sock. [Big Grin]

I was there, and I think the crowd was behind Bouchard because she was not the favorite. And yes, the womens games were both over very quickly.

The mens doubles was a superb fight, brilliant tennis, and lasted 50% longer than both of the other matches put together.

We saw one of the junior matches too, and that was encouraging for the future - really good players, who could, one feels, challenge.

the one they don't show on TV at all is the wheelchair tennis. Which is brilliant stuff.

Mrs Cat plays with her local club (which is how we got the tickets). As she pointed out, the seniors would, obviously, beat her. As would the "invitation" events, with people who are older than her.

As would the juniors and the wheelchair players. There is not a player there who would not beat any reasonable club players. That is amazing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well that felt close.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think Federer was having the best of the final set, until suddenly he wasn't.

It was a great match. And they were still playing at the same time that yesterday they had started the third final of the day.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think Federer was having the best of the final set, until suddenly he wasn't ...

I only saw the final set (time-zone differences, church, lunch ...) and I thought almost exactly that - I really couldn't have predicted the winner, and all of a sudden Federer started hitting some really wild, un-Federer-ish shots, Djokovic took full advantage and that was that.

Glad that the crowd got their money's worth. [Smile]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016