homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Glastonbury 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Glastonbury 2014
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi folks,

WHo's there, who's watching/streaming?

Blondie played a good set as are Jungle now...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the Glastonbury Pilgrimage then!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to Arcade Fire, tonight I think. Entre la nuit, la nuit et l'aurore, Entre le royaume des vivants and des morts. (Between the night and dawn, between the kingdom of the living and the dead).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stones and Metallica? I'd be in heaven if I were there, but being an off-duty supply teacher with a passport that needs renewing this month, it's unlikely!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard an interview with Arcade Fire on Radio 4. I would not fancy going on stage without a sound check!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never been, each year I kinda wonder if I should, it sounds like fun, I'm just not massively into camping shoulder to shoulder as I've heard it is. A friend of mine who is an experienced Glasto goer has also stopped cos he finds the other people annoying!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be interesting to see what the 'tallica boys do. I'll be seeing them in Warsaw in July among their brethren, i.e. metal fans. (Anthrax and Alice in Chains are on the same bill, a bill that makes it miles better than Glastonbury.)

A lot of Metallica fans hope that they start the concert with their cover of "So what" (link not work-safe) [Devil]

In any case, last night I saw Soundgarden, and last Tuesday I saw Iron Maiden and Slayer. I'm in music heaven.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Looking forward to Arcade Fire, tonight I think. Entre la nuit, la nuit et l'aurore, Entre le royaume des vivants and des morts. (Between the night and dawn, between the kingdom of the living and the dead).

I thought Arcade Fire were absolutely ace! Decide for yourselves...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When is Dolly Parton on ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing sunset last night when Elbow were playing, the cameraman kept going back to it, it looked like a sort of Hollywood Biblical epic, with a crimson sky, and the sun getting lower, and then thousands of people standing in the fields, and in the distance the tor. They should print it off, it would be a great picture to have.

Seen a few bands up to now, very enjoyable, Rudimental, very good, Lily Allen, cute, Blondie, fab, Paolo Nutini, not my cup of tea, Haim, ditto, Elbow, very nice. Recorded Arcade Fire, so looking forward to seeing that, and then Metallica and Dolly! Only Glasto could have those two on the same day.

Exit light, enter night! (Enter Sandman).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
When is Dolly Parton on ?

Tomorrow (Sunday) on the Pyramid stage at 1620
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Robert Plant now on Pyramid stage,
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Robert Plant now on Pyramid stage,

He still has it!
Jack White rocked too, interesting instruments in his band including a theremin.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where can I get a Metallica beach ball? (For those who didn't see them, that is not a typo.)

How do you follow an act like Metallica? With the English National Ballet, and Dolly Parton later. Glastonbury is unique in the diversity of its acts.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dolly Parton was amazing.

Brian Ferry was impressive on Saturday too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iplayer is stalling me when I try to play Dolly - I guess many people enthused [Smile]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot understand the allegations of miming levelled at Ms Parton. Twitter was full of them.

People are so used to associating perfect pitching of noted to being studio produced that hen they hear a perfect performance they refuse to believe it is live.

Good as it was, Dolly's voice did start to crack towards the end of the set, and at the end of that set, who can blame her.

A note to performers, it is possible to sing in tune for (almost) a whole performance. Well done Dolly.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She did well for a nigh-on septuagenarian. I'm sure she's had work done as they say - but cosmetic surgery won't give you the energy to do a set like that.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

They are used to second rate, they don't know talent when they hear it.

[ 29. June 2014, 19:50: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its no secret she's had 'work' - as she said, if you can look better, why not.

A good article on Ms Parton in today's Sunday Times.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched a bit of Dolly on the TV. I wasn't particularly impressed, but then, she wasn't performing for the cameras. A live set is very different when you are there, if the artist is performing for the crowd, as she was.

I am sure that if you were there, is was lots of fun, and really enjoyable.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016