homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bound by holy terror

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bound by holy terror
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I was horsing around on facebook, and a propos something, my fingers put forth the following:
quote:
I generally don't get to forceful until I think someone is being threatened.

Maybe that's part of why hellfire and brimstone sells. It teaches that everybody who's not in your church is being threatened.

And I think it's somewhat true. After a while, I got to a point where matters of personal ethics - stuff that's between you and your body - that doesn't get me at all. But once you start hurting other people by what you do, then I feel an urge to get involved. Of course, the greater the hurt, the stronger the compulsion.

Now, I've been reading fantasy for most of my life, and thinking about what compels narratives. Looking at modern movies and fiction, there's always a threat, a danger. And that's often what drives the plot. In one story, it's the fact that the villain has the hero's child dangling on a metaphorical string. In another, it's the threat of an evil overlord taking over reality, or demons that come out of the ground every night. It could be the danger of a woman in victorian England having to live as a a spinster versus getting married into a decently monied family. A sense of danger makes a story compelling. It's why you turn the page, sit on the edge of your seat, etc.

Now, I was talking to a friend in our church, and we were talking about how churches in the American south are more prosperous, and he noted that down there, they scare people into church. Given the prevalence of hellfire and brimstone, it seemed plausible to me. I've even heard non-fundamentalists speak of how the promise of heaven and the threat of hell is what makes them feel secure. They've got their existential bets thoroughly hedged, Pascal-wise.

So, it seems like people are drawn to threats. On an animal level, it makes sense. I don't want to expend my energy without a return, and what gives a stronger return than not losing everything to death? Of course, Jesus may have had some things to say about that, but I think for animals it's true. You want to make someone move, you set their butt on fire and watch them run for a means of putting it out. You watch them (pardon the expression) "run like it's the cops." Like they're being chased by a wild animal, you hope that your friend is slower than you are. Kids are "scared straight" with the possibility of incarceration.

Now, to the church, is this why evangelicals evangelize so passionately? Why they care so deeply? They really believe God is going to hurt people who don't go along with the plan (as devised by their teacher or self) and that compels them to go out into the world?

And likewise, liberals who truly believe that God is loving by a sensible definition of love, and merciful by a sensible definition of mercy, don't feel the same terrifying need Bto draw people into their church. It's not like lives are at stake, right? What merciful God would punish people for something as arbitrary and accidental as religious preference?

I think there's something to it, but figured I'd toss it out to see what folks thought.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Now, to the church, is this why evangelicals evangelize so passionately? Why they care so deeply? They really believe God is going to hurt people who don't go along with the plan (as devised by their teacher or self) and that compels them to go out into the world?

The belief in evngelising because of Hellfire goes back to before the reformation. There has always been a debate about this among Evangelicals, John Stott disagreed with Billy Graham on eternal punishment, but it did not stop them working together.

This is an old debate, and I can see no evidence that Evangelicals who believe in the eternal punishment of Hellfire are any more determined to evangelise than those who do not.

The necessity of belief in Hell and eternal punishment seems more of a catholic thing than an evangelical one to me.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
The necessity of belief in Hell and eternal punishment seems more of a catholic thing than an evangelical one to me.

I think you're overstating your case. People like Rob Bell catch holy Hell from the Evangelical world when they say they don't believe in Hell. People crawl out of the woodwork to say that if you don't believe non-Christians are going to Hell, you're not a real, bible-believing Christian.

Evangelicals, at least the obvious and public ones, seem very wedded to the idea of eternal damnation.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think that many of the extremist or fundamentalist groups in whatever theological position tend to argue that "extra Ecclesiam nulla salus" or "outside the church there is no salvation" - the church being the particular version of church that they support.

The evangelical preaching of damnation is the most graphic version of it.

And as an evangelical, I would not subscribe to this interpretation.

It always struck me as interesting that the evos have been most in opposition to fantasy writing, while actually being the inspiration - by the wonderful fantasy-style writing in much of the apocalypse and the writing inspired by this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up and live in the American South, and have experienced what Bullfrog speaks of. My family were church-going Southern Baptists so we didn't have to be terrorized into Christianity, but I remember Sunday morning sermons as evangelistic pleas to avoid eternal damnation or to escape "a devil's hell." The "invitation" would be a lengthy appeal to come to pray with the pastor as the congregation sang innumerable verses of "Just As I Am."

Similar coercion was also used to get people to return for services Sunday and Wednesday evenings, where the people who really love God come. They almost made you feel like you would go to hell if you did not attend.

I am so reactive to all this now that as a United Methodist pastor in my 50s I seldom give an "invitation" and I refuse to use coercion of any kind to get people to attend this or that or to give money. I hate manipulation in any form and refuse to be a part of it!

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I think you're overstating your case. People like Rob Bell catch holy Hell from the Evangelical world when they say they don't believe in Hell. People crawl out of the woodwork to say that if you don't believe non-Christians are going to Hell, you're not a real, bible-believing Christian.

Evangelicals, at least the obvious and public ones, seem very wedded to the idea of eternal damnation.

Except for your own counter example (Rob Bell) above. There certainly is a large continent of evangelicals who are wedded to the idea of eternal damnation and whose evangelism centers on fear. But there is an only slightly smaller contingent, of which Bell would be one of the most visible but hardly alone, that do not require threat of eternal punishment to make their case that life in the Kingdom is worth living on it's own terms.

The OP overgeneralizes both sides of the equation (liberals and evangelicals) while correctly stating the case for a subsection of each.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I do not include JW's as orthodox, I think they are evidence that groups with no belief at all in future punishment in hell can be motivated to evangelise.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear is my chief motivator. I wish it wasn't because obviously it is the antithesis of God's love (I Jn and all that). But it was inculcated in me, growing up Catholic - fear of Hell, fear of other punishment etc - but, oddly enough, when I converted to evangelicalism in my late teens, that fear was absent from the theology. So I'm not personally convinced that fear is a great motivator for evangelism since there was a lot of fear for me and my peers from Catholicism but very little evangelism in evidence, whereas that fear of Hell etc was absent in evangelicalism, yet I did much more evangelism...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear is a very powerful motivator in all social respects.

With the demise of religion in the west we now fear other things: death, disablement.

I think you could argue Hope is an even more powerful motivator, but only once you've got past fear.

Bit of Maslow's pyramid thingy.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"...and the greatest of these is love"

Shows what a spiritual pygmy I still am...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friends in Bible Belt "conservative" churches believe non-Christians are going to hell. Non-Christian by their definition includes Catholics, the major Protestant denominations, as well as Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons, atheists, etc.

They also believe some of their own deeply loved family members are going to hell. And it breaks their hearts. Their Christianity is, to me, a very unhappy religion. Can you imagine being a parent and expecting to spend eternity knowing you own child is suffering terribly and endlessly and nothing can be done?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gives new meaning to the expression "The Great Awakening."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is possible that groups of Christians who focus on the Old Testament are inclined to do so because of other influences in their culture, such as intolerance and vengeance. I think there is an interaction between the religion and the underlying culture. Christianity has spread to many cultures and they are by no means alike otherwise. Much the same has happened with Islam.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog: Now, to the church, is this why evangelicals evangelize so passionately? Why they care so deeply? They really believe God is going to hurt people who don't go along with the plan (as devised by their teacher or self) and that compels them to go out into the world?

I think you might have something there if it were obvious that those who try to frighten people into faith seemed to love them.

The 'terrifying need' to draw people in might seem to be more motivated by the desire to increase the exclusive club membership than by love.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The OP overgeneralizes both sides of the equation (liberals and evangelicals) while correctly stating the case for a subsection of each.

That's a fair critique.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
Whilst I do not include JW's as orthodox, I think they are evidence that groups with no belief at all in future punishment in hell can be motivated to evangelise.

To be fair, they believe in complete extermination/annihilation of the unsaved, which to me sounds worse than the traditional Hell.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

To be fair, they believe in complete extermination/annihilation of the unsaved, which to me sounds worse than the traditional Hell.
And I've certainly seen threatening eschatological propaganda from them.

--------------------

Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although some evangelicals prefer the "anihilation" route to the "eternal punishment in hell" route, I find both objectionable because people I love cannot enjoy the afterlife together. I suppose that's our own fault for marrying non-Christians.
Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to walk the precarious DH tightrope (I'm seeking to illustrate a point, not discuss the issues themselves ...)

Fear of eternal damnation is, I agree with the OP, core to evangelicalism. The reason evangelicals are so intractable about certain beliefs is that they hold correct conduct to be a "salvation issue." You get it wrong, you're tortured with fire for all time. This underpins their zeal to convert. As Penn Jillette so rightly said, if you really believe this, evangelism is the kindest thing you can do for someone.

That's why calls for compromise are so wrongheaded. From the evangelical perspective, they're negotiating with a gun to their heads. They can't compromise. Even tolerating what they take to be wrong conduct would be to endorse it.

Evangelicalism's closeness is surely tied to the strength of this in-group/out-group thinking. Being close-knit by a common enemy has many appealing aspects. The costs are, to my mind, far too high.

[ 04. July 2014, 22:40: Message edited by: Byron ]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
Fear of eternal damnation is, I agree with the OP, core to evangelicalism. The reason evangelicals are so intractable about certain beliefs is that they hold correct conduct to be a "salvation issue." You get it wrong, you're tortured with fire for all time. This underpins their zeal to convert.

Except, as has already been noted, there is a sizeable contingent of evangelicals who don't believe in eternal damnation.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Except, as has already been noted, there is a sizeable contingent of evangelicals who don't believe in eternal damnation.

There is, but how sizeable? Many evangelicals don't want to go into the details: they euphemize the fate of those outside the fold as "the lost."

Annihilationism might've developed among theologians as a more humane alternative to torture, but it doesn't change the way that the fear of damnation is woven into evangelicalism's DNA. Even if the alternative is eternal bliss and annihilation, annihilation will, for many, remain terrifying.

Not that evangelicals are exceptional in this belief. With rare, half-whispered exceptions, eternal damnation used to be normative across Christianity. Even now, many Christian universalists hedge the issue.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Anyone got research on this?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
quote:

There is, but how sizeable? Many evangelicals don't want to go into the details: they euphemize the fate of those outside the fold as "the lost."

Annihilationism might've developed among theologians as a more humane alternative to torture, but it doesn't change the way that the fear of damnation is woven into evangelicalism's DNA. Even if the alternative is eternal bliss and annihilation, annihilation will, for many, remain terrifying.

Not that evangelicals are exceptional in this belief. With rare, half-whispered exceptions, eternal damnation used to be normative across Christianity. Even now, many Christian universalists hedge the issue.

It's hard to quantify, obviously, but universalism is fairly common among evangelicals such as myself, particularly younger evangelicals. The prior example of Rob Bell being a prime example. The famous Bebbington fourfold definition of evangelicalism makes no mention of eternal damnation.

--------------------

que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
... they believe in complete extermination/annihilation of the unsaved, which to me sounds worse than the traditional Hell.

I have always had great difficult with the idea that annihilation is something ultimately awful. I think it may be one of those natural divides among people. For me, like Woody Allen, I'm not afraid of dying but would rather not be there when it happens. Still I can't even vaguely comprehend how it would be worse than living for ever (in either place).

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oblivion just sounds too good to be true.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it important to the OP that we map this fear onto Evangelicals? Maybe we could just assume there are some Christians for whom fear is a motivating factor in evangelization. I think it's safe to say this is true.

At the same time, in my experience, that same fear might keep some from evangelizing, if they fear that the influence could run in the other direction. What if you try to evangelize someone, and they instead evangelize you? What if their ways rub off on you somehow, and your eternal soul is lost? (Maybe that would be seen as having something to do with the parable of the talents.)

I suspect that fear-based evangelization has more to do with particular local cultures and/or personalities. Some people live their lives based on fear; others don't. They might attend the same church, even.

Maybe some denominations are more susceptible to such fearmongering than others, and that might be a way to re-work the issue. Are there strands of Christianity that might be more prone to fearmongering?

And if we're talking about certain dead horses [eta: which, of course, we're not], there are also political and economic influences fomenting it all, but that's another thread on another board. I just thought it worth mentioning in order to point out how complex these issues can be and how inaccurate it is to paint whole denominations or strands of Christianity with one brush, for so many reasons.

[ 08. July 2014, 19:01: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If non-Christians are anihilated, that leaves no hope, for if they no longer exist, by definition they cannot gain salvation.

If hell is eternal punishment, those who are sent there have no hope, for eternal punishment has no end.

If God's love is unconditional and eternal, it cannot be limited.

If Jesus died "to save us all", isn't it a contradition to say that only those who actually believe this can be saved? I realise that Jesus's resurrection means that there is hope for life after death, but if only Christians are saved, it seems like a very Pyrrhic victory, considering all that God has made.

What about hymns such as "There's a wideness in God's mercy?"

--------------------
"...But I always want to know the things one shouldn’t do.”
“So as to do them?” asked her aunt.
“So as to choose,” said Isabel.
Henry James - The Portrait of A Lady

Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Absolutely true of Seventh-day Adventists as well (springing from similar theological roots of course) -- no belief in an eternal hell (annihilationist, although I've never heard anybody within the SDA church itself use that term) but passionately committed to evangelism.

I always found it a bit odd, to be honest, hearing Adventist preachers as I was growing up attempting to use fear as a motivator -- the fear of being "eternally lost" -- while I was thinking, "Well, if they're atheists, then eternal death is pretty much what they're expecting anyway, and if they're some other brand of Christian you're telling them that your worst-case scenario is a lot better than their worst-case scenario of an eternal torture-chamber." It seems to me that if you don't believe in an immortal soul, you haven't got a lot of ammunition for motivation by fear, although I've listened to Adventist preachers who I thought secretly really wished they DID believe in hell so they'd be better able to terrify their listeners.

So yeah, you can definitely have evangelical fervour if you're an annihilationist, although I think it blunts your ability to use fear as a motivator. I don't know about universalists -- presumably there would be a lot less motivation to convert people if you believed they were all going to be saved anyway.

Incidentally, as someone who doesn't believe in immortality and thus does believe that the unsaved die forever, I don't think it's at all the same thing as believing in hell, as far as the fate of one's loved ones. I have two children -- obviously I would like them to share eternity with me. But if I believed one of them had truly rejected God and wanted no part of God's Kingdom, I could be at peace with the idea of my child living out his earthly life and then ceasing to exist. I could never make peace with the concept of anyone I cared about enduring conscious torment for eternity: I don't know how anyone can make peace with that. I can see how it might be different for those who believe "hell" is a temporary place of punishment/correction and there's still a possibility of repentance after this life.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Is it important to the OP that we map this fear onto Evangelicals? Maybe we could just assume there are some Christians for whom fear is a motivating factor in evangelization. I think it's safe to say this is true.

Works for me. I think I was thinking more of the general phenomenon, which I have mostly experienced from conservative evangelicals.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016