homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Commonwealth Games

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Commonwealth Games
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the Mother Country and all her realms, it is only about a fortnight 'til the Commonwealth Games a much better spectacle than the Olympics for us all as we win more medals, regardless of whether you are Australian, English, Scottish, Welsh, Canadian, New Zealander or Falkland Islander.

So what delights do you think the Glaswegians will have in store for us in the opening ceremony?

Who's going to win the most medals and who's going to take out the lawn bowls medal? Is there going to be cricket this time, I thought I heard a rumour.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Evangeline:
So what delights do you think the Glaswegians will have in store for us in the opening ceremony?

At least they gave up on the idea of demolishing the blocks of flats as part of the opening ceremony!

As for what we have in store, have you seen the Team Scotland uniform? [Projectile]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That uniform is truly hideous - what on earth were they thinking?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Australian ones got a negative response as well, although while googling I did see one news story that said "if you thought the Australian ones were bad, wait until you see the Scottish uniforms".

(For ours it's the knitted tops that are the real horror.)

EDIT: Oh, and this is our swimwear. Haven't seen that until today. At this rate I'm going to need to set my television to black & white.

[ 08. July 2014, 15:44: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any locals going to see any of it live? I've been lucky to get a ticket for one of the athletics sessions, so am looking forward to that. The logistics of getting to Hampden from Stirling for 10am might be interesting though ... too bad I don't live walking distance from the stadium any more.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Evangeline:

At least they gave up on the idea of demolishing the blocks of flats as part of the opening ceremony!

As for what we have in store, have you seen the Team Scotland uniform? [Projectile]

See, you Jocks! THAT'S what independence will do to you. Vote NO and save what still remains of your fashion credibility.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the idea of "A colour which clashes with itself"! I'll have to remember that.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Canadian uniforms here. It looks like casual sports wear, not dressy like the Scots and not stylish like the Aussies.

Okay, the Scots do look like Disney was involved....

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by JtL:
Any locals going to see any of it live?

Yup. A friend of mine is coming to stay and we have tickets for some hockey, rugby 7s, and I think also badminton and table tennis. But I'm not entirely sure of all of them. I'm really looking forward to the hockey! The friend I think also has athletics and gymnastics, but I'll be working that day so...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I do believe the Scots have pipped us at the post for a race to the bottom of the fashion stakes.

I did like the description of the Aussie uniforms as being like Kermit the frog dipped in custard. It's mainly the nanna jumpers but that skirt is badly cut too.

Oh Canada! if that's the uniform you're going to wear at the opening ceremony.. NOOO it's a tracksuit.

I'm hoping Australia will win bot the mens and women's hockey.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bagpipes. Let there be many bagpipes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

What about haggis? There's gotta be haggis and Highland country dancing.

I almost forgot that it's upon our fair shores in 2018, Gold Coast **shudder** but I am gunna go in 2018, better book accommodation now.

[ 09. July 2014, 03:44: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best bit about the Commonwealth games was always watching people from the various Channel Islands and other really small bits and bobs of the Commonwealth do their level best in swimming. Occasionally, one would triumph and end up in the final. Yes, the Aussies and the Canadian usually were fighting it out for the 3 medals (the English were not very good for a loooooooong time in the pool) but I'd rather see a lass or lad from Guernsey get 8th then watch another Thorpedo win.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always cheer for the Falkland Islands. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Ah yes, the thrill of the underdog, it is indeed a lovely story when someone from an obscure corner of the Commonwealth does well, even to swim against a Thorpedo or run against a Linford Christie if you're from Guernsey or Sierra Leone. One of my favourite parts is the march-on ceremony, if nothing else, i stare in wonderment at the influence a tiny island nation at the edge of Europe has had on so many diverse people.

Only 1 more sleep peeps, let's get excited.
Not sure whether to sing God Save the Queen (she is my head of state after all) or Advance Australia Fair [Big Grin]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016