homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Absence of Zach82 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Absence of Zach82
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know where else to post this thing
So Hell will have to do
Today I Consign To Hell
The absence of Zach82.

I remember when he joined the Ship
A very long time ago
At first he didn't seem as nice
But later did change and grow

I was off and away for far too long
And now that I've returned
I'm sad to see that Zach just left
Perhaps feeling a tad burned

It makes me sad, perhaps not mad
So Hellish, maybe not
But maybe he'll see this here somehow
I'd like that quite a lot

Please come back, Zach82
Your absence leaves us bereft
I hope that you will come back to us
As quickly as you left.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How much absence to make my heart grow fonder?
I'd say a thousand years - or not much under.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading that doggerel, I'm on tenterhooks as to whether he'll respond. The scansion is unbearable.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want no dissension,
Just dynamic scansion.
In just seven days, I can make your rhyme scan.

( I'll leave the fishnet stockings to your imagination)

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish that Zach
would come back.

I wish Newman's Own
would come home.

I wish Preslyterian
would be here again.

I wish Mary Magdalen College
would accept our apolege.

I just hate it when people leave,
reading old threads makes me grieve.

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People move on or need a break:
Get over yourselves, for goodness' sake!
It's good to think about them well,
But here's not the place, as this IS Hell!

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't our poetry Hell enough for you?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconded, Twilight! There are a lot of people who don't seem to be onboard (well, posting, anyway) at the moment, and I hope they are all OK... Zach was just the one who left as I hopped back on. (Well, and the other stuff too. When he first started, I remember Zach as being quite harsh in lots of ways (I think he was still an undergraduate in college at the time, around 20?), but also that he grew and mellowed, and ... well, damn, you know, that's really rare. I've had so many old friends go in exactly the opposite way...)

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
( I'll leave the fishnet stockings to your imagination)

you made my morning.

and I've seen your pictures, dude, you'd look SEXAY in Dr. F's getup.

carry on.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I wish that Zach
would come back.

I wish Newman's Own
would come home.

I wish Preslyterian
would be here again.

I wish Mary Magdalen College
would accept our apolege.

I miss them too
That much is true
But why oh why
(This makes me cry)
Can no-one ever
Scansion. Ever?

When doing pomes,
You useless drones,
You need to make
For goodness sake
Your stresses find
For peace of mind
An EQUAL length
(Lord, give me strength)
And ev'ry line
Conform (like mine)
To fit the plan
An MAKE IT SCAN.

It's not that hard
You sad fucktard
To make it work-
Don't be a jerk!
Just spend some time
When making rhyme
To think around
The way words sound
When they get read
Inside the head,
And choose the word
That won't disturb
The rhythmic flow
And make it go
Within the verse
And, if I'm terse,
And start to moan
And gripe and groan
About your stuff,
And call it duff,
I here suggest
(It's for the best)
That you don't quit
(Because they're shit)
Your day job for
One poem more.
No, not one more
You crushing bore.
That's all.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

I'd add Ultraspike, Sacristan, Pax Romana and many others to the list. [Waterworks]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

And the Ship's Valkyrie!! Where is she??

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck me, when did Hell morph into All Saints?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yorick:
When doing pomes,
You useless drones,
You need to make
For goodness sake
Your stresses find
For peace of mind
An EQUAL length
(Lord, give me strength)
And ev'ry line
Conform (like mine)
To fit the plan
An MAKE IT SCAN.

Amateur.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick - nicely put. If the expected thread should come to pass, I do hope that the whip-wielders are resolute, and have the power (and conviction) to delete the kind of pony which makes me wince and run screaming from allegedly poetic game threads.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

There are AS overtones, but reading the poetry posts has been all Hell (with the commendable exception of Yorick's).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You read my mind, Sioni.

[ 20. July 2014, 18:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

As I said, I didn't know
Where this little thread should go.
Please do close it if it's wise to do
Or move to All Saints--up to you.

... Burma Shave

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fans of poetry are all very well,
But why the fuck you posting in hell ?
It's in the styx, you're needed
So the case for the forge, goes not unheeded !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

(Actually, poetry aside, the real inspiration for this thread was Zach82's departure--the poetic doggerel was almost an afterthought. I do hope he comes back soon. [Tear] I know he didn't get on with some people, but he really did change and grow a lot from when he first started, and, well, I've lost people over the years as they've ... changed the other way and become harsher and harsher. It honestly helps give me hope to see the reverse of that.)

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
But why the fuck you posting in hell ?

Well, really, because I was thinking of TICTH the absence of Zach82, but since it was ABOUT a Shipmate who left as a result of a Hell-call thread, I thought it would be kind of... awkward in All Saints, so I thought that since he'd last been in Hell, and, um... maybe he'd see it here if he was lurking or something... [Frown] (voice trails off)

(please come back Zach)

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know chastmastr you can always send him a PM. Don't know if he'll see it or not but it's worth a try.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
You know chastmastr you can always send him a PM. Don't know if he'll see it or not but it's worth a try.

I did that first. [Smile] I must ask--and maybe this could be in All Saints?--where did, Lord, so many people go? There are so many Shipmates who just don't seem to have posted in a while. I just assumed they were still here.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Chastmastr -where did you go? You've been away for years more than once.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well, technically it was more like one long period with occasional unsuccessful attempts to scramble back onboard. Where did I go? *sigh* My (crazy, abusive, relationship problems never resolved till perhaps the afterlife I suppose, I pray that they're better and saner now) parents died within 6 months of each other (2006-2007), I inherited some money and their house, and as we moved back down to Florida (good) and bought a house (terrible mistake) and then the housing market collapsed (yikes) and we couldn't sell my parents' old house (double yikes) and the money started running out (danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!) and there were health issues for both me and Cubby, and I didn't have a job (and I should never have been allowed a mortgage without an income but we asked and they gave us one and and and), I collapsed into what I now recognize was a slow sort of nervous breakdown, and even up in DC I had a lot of stress (some mornings before work I would just... throw up while trying to take a shower out of pure anxiety), and so on. And of course consequent depression and guilt over losing the house (foreclosure) and the money.

In some ways I have never quite got back on track since Daddy Vern died but I am working on it again, and I think this time it is going much better.

I am starting my fifth year in a job which I actually like (and I seem to be useful in doing, yay!)--being a college professor, albeit a part-time/adjunct (i.e. no benefits, and not as much money as we'd like); we have friends and loved ones here--not many but they are very special to us; Cubby's health has been up and down but various things are currently improving; we're working on getting back into the eating habits and such that Daddy Vern taught me; we're currently doing terribly at making it to church but are working on that (our sleeping schedule is ridiculous); and so on.

I realized recently that I'd been far far too focused on the internet... but also that one place that I have missed and needed in my life, perhaps with an array of Christians I am closer to than most I have met in person, is the Ship, so while I am trying to disconnect a bit from, say, the meat market sites (as you may remember, Cubby and I have an open relationship) and focus on meeting people in person in real clubs, re-adding the Ship back has been wonderful for me, and I am so sorry I was gone for so long. [Hot and Hormonal]

And now that I've completely made the thread un-Hellworthy, perhaps it should be moved to All Saints? [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 20. July 2014, 22:50: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It's not that hard
You sad fucktard

"Fucktard" has the accent on the first syllable and so requires a feminine rhyme. To make the rhyme work, one is forced to read the word incorrectly and shift the beat to the last syllable, thus ruining the scansion.

And you were doing so well.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, such close friends of Zach. How sweet. How odd that none of you have his off-Ship contact details.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why assume they don't have contact details for Zach?

Sine Nomine and I are both avid Facebook users, and we interact there far more frequently than we did on the Ship. The same is true for Grits. I still find the Ship a much greyer, duller place without their participation.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

OMG how are they? And I don't have Zach's info. I am on Facebook but am only in touch with a microscopically small number of Shipmates there (name on FB is screen name here for any interested people).

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, such sweetness. Such light. Such yippy-skippy happiness creating hugging and sharing. Is that a unicorn shitting rainbows I see on the horizon?

I'm gonna puke. I hate all of you.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
It's not that hard
You sad fucktard

"Fucktard" has the accent on the first syllable and so requires a feminine rhyme. To make the rhyme work, one is forced to read the word incorrectly and shift the beat to the last syllable, thus ruining the scansion.

Ah, that's a shame. I had hoped that my admittedly rather clever artistic intent would have been clear to the smart reader, as that particular word, being so iconic on this website, might have flagged the satirical humour in my deliberately dissonant trip of scansion there. It's a very common device in poetry, after all.

Oh well.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are so many Shipmates who just don't seem to have posted in a while.
Just stopping with the posting thing, sigh, that is SO unrestful. Get Banned ftw.

Weaklings.

And the only shipmates I allow myself to maybe miss are the ones with an "O" in their names.

and:

No more rhymes now I mean it ....

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

To be fair, it's hardly surprising that people drift away from here. With the advances in online technology over the last ten to twenty years, contributing on here can sometimes be like trying to communicate using a typewriter; it's a perfectly functional medium, but so laboured, so (comparatively) primitive, so restrictive. The insistence on restricting access to even the limited extra functionality available in UBB, for whatever reasons - be they good, sensible, or even practical - is the death knell of the site. The endless arguments/discussions over a "Like" button or whatever is a case in point; every discussion on the advancement of the site gets bogged down in minutiae and then peters out. The decision by the PTB not to progress the site is entirely up to them, but eventually they'll be here on their own.

(As an aside, I'm delighted to hear that Sine is alive and well on Facebook. I also miss his contributions - it's people like him who caused me to stay once I'd discovered this place, but it's the absence of people like him which contributes to the decay).

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh look, another opportunity for Passer to take a swipe at the H&As [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must be a day ending in "y"...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There's a whole board for that. It's called The Styx.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was an admin on another forum, and the same accusations would be made - "you are ruining the forum, and I know a ton of people who have left because of you, and I chat to them on Facebook". And so on and so on. There is always a natural drift away from any forum, but for some reason, some people see it as a cause for blame.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
It's not that hard
You sad fucktard

Gong. Right in both of your heads. As hard as possible.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

Fuck me, you lot are a tad sensitive. To be clear, that wasn't a swipe at the H&As at all, just an observation on the board and its infrastructure. I don't include either of you in the PTB generalisation, if that's what the first two were implying - it was a qualified comment on the owners and the operating model, not the staff. However, if personalised sniping helps you to distract from the underlying issues, be my guests.

I had a puppy once, used to follow me everywhere. Bless.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left twice, because of Zach,
But it would be a shame
If he didn't come back.

(I think it works either way, but I initially compressed "would be" rather than giving the words equal stress.)

[ 21. July 2014, 13:02: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully, the fact that some things stay the same no matter what will give the poor, bereft, badly rhyming souls here a level of solace. passer being a passive-aggressive knob, then claiming ignorance when called on it, for example. An enduring trope on these boards. Bless!

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

sigh

Does anybody want a peanut?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just couldn't resist, could you?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He couldn't resist. How could you?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what you all could do? You could make a proposal in the Eighth Day Styx thread to start a board where everything has to be in rhyme, or have a metrical rhythm, or both, even the criticisms of somebody's rhyme or misuse of meter.

Because, you know, if you did that, we'd have something for the 8D board (oh shit, I just realized the likely abbreviation of that name looks like an emocon) that people seem to love in theory but nobody is coming up with ideas for, and, more importantly, we could shunt this lovefest/whinebinge somewhere else.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I was an admin on another forum, and the same accusations would be made - "you are ruining the forum, and I know a ton of people who have left because of you, and I chat to them on Facebook". And so on and so on. There is always a natural drift away from any forum, but for some reason, some people see it as a cause for blame.

Who said all that? I was the one who brought up Facebook, and I certainly didn't say it.

Bulletin boards in general aren't exactly the latest thing. That this one has lasted as long as it has is a testament to the fact it offers something different. I'd like to think the concept isn't "quaint" yet, but I realize I could be deluding myself.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather think that this place offers a rare triumph of content over presentation. Less bells and whistles = more pressure to say something meaningful.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
passer, no "O" in that name.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah. Blank verse. My favourite.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

[Overused]

quote:

Oh look, another opportunity for Spike to be randomly snide.

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:

Ah. Blank verse. My favourite. [Big Grin]
[Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016