homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shopping clerical tat

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Shopping clerical tat
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be ordained Deacon shortly and I am looking on buying my first clerical clothing (collars, clerical shirt, jacket)

Anyone have any tips?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure you'll get lots of good advice, but meanwhile this is rather snazzy although it might not fit and you might be looking for something more quotidian.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You want a robe. The purple and white number is particularly fetching.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does your college have a tat fair? What you need will vary by church as you won't need so much stuff if you are at a tshirts and shorts type of place as if you are in an any colour as long as it is black shack.

I got black shirts, cassock, cassock alb and surplice from the tat fair. I should have bought a preaching scarf and an academic hood but I didn't know I would need those until I turned up at the church and Taylors of Oxford were very good at getting them to me ASAP.

Some ordinands spent a fortune on artistic stoles but as you tend to wear the ones that the church has there is not much point unless you are awash with cash. It is worth checking which colour your diocese ordain in (white or red)before purchasing a stole for the ordination.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You want a robe. The purple and white number is particularly fetching.

Tangent// I note that one of the female clergy robes is called the "Rahab" [Eek!] //end tangent
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Augsburg Fortress in Kitchener has a good range of stuff for sharp looking new priestly types. Us presbyterians don't do much shopping there, but they are good, and if you shop in person, discounts sometimes appear magically.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a tip that'll having the fashion police coming down on me like a ton of bricks, but it's based on over 20 years' experience. If you're going to wear a black clerical shirt, go for polyester/cotton rather than pure cotton. Even the best quality cotton shirts go from black to grey pretty quickly, and not in a nice "ooh look, I have a charcoal grey shirt" kind of way. They're also much more difficult to iron, and creases in black shirt fabric somehow seem to show up worse than in almost any other colour.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>What is this word "iron"? Is it in common usage?</tangent>

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, in reading this thread obviously my slang understanding is different. I thought you wanted a tattoo and help designing it, about which I thought "oh no!"

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Okay, in reading this thread obviously my slang understanding is different. I thought you wanted a tattoo and help designing it, about which I thought "oh no!"

Happy thought! Not long ago I was sitting in a presbytery meeting behind a young minister who has a cross tattooed on the back of his neck. I was wondering where to post that for everyone's edification.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he'd been an Anglican, I'd have said it was to help him line up his stole, of course.

[ 05. September 2014, 13:07: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
<tangent>What is this word "iron"? Is it in common usage?</tangent>

It used to be in cockney rhyming slang anyway ....
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats on your Deaconing. [Yipee] [Yipee]

I remember when you and I started out together about the same time. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
... go from black to grey pretty quickly, ...

A piece of advice I will never forget from my seminary rector, as he handed me my first two clerical shirts: always wash on cold with Woolite, never tumble dry. I'm sure there are much deeper pieces of advice from him I've forgotten, but that one has come in very handy!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also available is washing detergent targeted for black clothing. Source: goth friends

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016