homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » An empty nest (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: An empty nest
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In eight days time LRP and I revert to being a couple after being a family for over 30 years. Our son moves out leaving the hose to just us for the first time in over 30 years.

What are the best tips on being alone together?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This recent thread now shunted off to Oblivion might be of interest...
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our daughter left home for good at age 21 and she's been self-sufficient since then.

We have things we like to do which we couldn't have done when she was still at home: sleeping in, going to the UK, singing in a choir which performs at the local Irish cultural center, buying my third new car, etc.

The dog is gone also, well not physically gone - his ashes are on a bookshelf in the front room.

We are no longer close to our daughter: we talk on the phone about once a month and see her only once or twice a year - usually on her birthday and around Christmas.

It is nice to establish leisure time rituals like taking a walk to one of the local Irish-owned pubs on the weekend, successfully going on an Atkins diet and going to weight-loss club meetings, de-cluttering the house, etc.

Establish some new traditions now that the kids are all grown!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
23 year old just moved back yesterday. We've been empty nest on and off for a while. Kids are boomerangs these days. Plenty of time to grow and find your way in this difficult world.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
really? make sure each has an escape room for when the other is watching rubbish on the telly......
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you google around, you can find those graphs about happiness over a lifetime. The line tends to trend down in the twenties (career, children) and bottom out in the late forties. But then it picks up again. You can guess why.
My son boomeranged home again after college, for want of a job that pays a living wage. However, we are much happier anyway. Life is DEFINITELY better in your 50s.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left for university at 19 and periodically cam home for summer employment. I boomeranged back at 30 and lived in my parents' flat until I was 32 and got married. My wife and I promptly moved into the flat downstairs from my parents. We now live about a half hours drive from my parents' house.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Telly? No young person watches that any more. They stream things on that expensive tablet while wearing earphones.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Telly? No young person watches that any more. They stream things on that expensive tablet while wearing earphones.

Like this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoy it while you can - the chances are that they will come back home again at some point. Both of our children did. We had to emigrate to stop that happening again!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're counting down until we can evict our youngest - and then we'll move onto our boat and disappear. They'll never find us!

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you tell the difference between sensible preparing for an empty nest and full-on ridiculous mid-life crisis?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Develop a variety of things you do on your own and some you do together. That way, you've always got something interesting to talk about. Now that you actually have time to talk, without teenage ears overhearing everything!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Resurrecting this thread to find put how everyone is getting on? Nenlet2 will be moving out of the family home in September to pursue further studies - really excited for him [Yipee] - so Mr Nen and I will be Empty Nesters. [Eek!]

We're getting a taste of what it's going to be like as he is away this week. Can't say I'm enjoying it. [Waterworks]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of cross-threading with the Decluttering Support thread - clear their rooms out, re-decorate and dedicate the room to another purpose. If their room becomes a sewing-cum-ironing room it's a whole lot less attractive to a boomeranging child!

Seriously, it's a permanent work in progress. Mr S and I are not only empty-nesters but both retired, and it isn't always easy, two of you 24/7, unless you take steps to moderate that.

Find things you want to do together, but also seek out things you can do separately so you have other things to talk about. Keep up with friends, both jointly and severally - now we have no kids at home we can have the parties chez nous, no driving, and at our age you normally make a profit on the booze.

Most of all - have fun together!

Mrs. S, having managed to displace her little chickadees [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Intrepid Mrs S: at our age you normally make a profit on the booze.
You sell booze at your parties?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're into the countdown - empty nest in 6 weeks time. However, we have friends coming to visit soon after which will defer the full horror of it being "just the two of us."
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
The Intrepid Mrs S: at our age you normally make a profit on the booze.
You sell booze at your parties?
I don't know what Mrs. S means, but when I host a part I provide lots of wine and a little beer. (The wine I make myself from a kit -- the work is actually done at the place I buy the kit, so all I do is pay and bottle.) I've been making the same wine (2 white, 1 red) for about 10 years and its perfectly drinkable.) My cost is about $5 a bottle, and we drink 4-5 bottles (partly the party is only about 25-30 people, but fewer and fewer of our friends drink more than a glass, or bottle of beer).

But at least half of those who come bring a bottle. That's 8-10 bottles back from the 4-5 they drink. And much of what they bring is of higher quality than what they drink -- or at least, more expensive, averaging I'd guess $12-15 a bottle at the least. A double profit, though not one that I expect or count on.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
... But at least half of those who come bring a bottle. That's 8-10 bottles back from the 4-5 they drink ...

That's what I understood by Mrs. S's post - it quite often works along those lines when we have dinner parties.

[tangent]
Am I right in thinking that in parts of Canada it's regarded as a bit naff to open bottles of wine brought by your guests? I've seen contestants on Come Dine With Me expressing horror when the hosting contestant does it, but maybe in those cases it was because the host's supply had run out (or the guests were just looking for something to carp about).

FWIW I disagree; if someone brings a nice bottle of wine that goes well with what we're eating, I'll open it. Conversely, we have friends who aren't really wine buffs*, and they're happy enough for us to say "go ahead and open this one" when we bring something that we like (although as they've got to know us, they've started getting in wines that we like when we visit them).

[/tangent OFF]

* Think Piat d'Or or Maria Cristina ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nenya, when my youngest left home it hit me like a train. I howled (after he had gone, he knows nothing about it). It was a visceral, animal howl which came, unbidden, up from my boots. The feeling I had was that Manchester - which was where he went, all of 10 miles away! - had stolen him. It was like a bereavement and I was in no way prepared for it. I had always waved them off to nursery, school, trips away etc without the slightest pang.

Of course, the feeling soon passed and now Mr Boogs and I enjoy the freedom. We love it when the Boogielets visit, but would not want them to come home to stay again!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't dream of selling booze at the parties - we provide loads, but the guests almost invariably bring a bottle of wine per couple even if they both drink soft drinks!

Actually I now suggest people bring what they want to drink if it isn't wine or lager - we've given up on trying to cater for everyone's taste in ale, cider, fruit juice that isn't orange and so on.

On a similar point, I once took a large box of Hotel Chocolat goodies to a dinner party. The hostess promptly spirited them away and produced the After Eights and Matchmakers [Mad]

Mrs. S, won't get caught again!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried converting the offspring's bedroom into a craft / sewing / ironing / spare room when she properly moved out a few years back. That one backfired when she boomeranged home with furniture a few months back. It was a short notice and the changes made it so much harder to turn the flat around to make space for her return.

The furniture is permanent, but her presence is not as she's taking time out to travel before starting a PhD in October and will move out again in late September.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
... But at least half of those who come bring a bottle. That's 8-10 bottles back from the 4-5 they drink ...

That's what I understood by Mrs. S's post - it quite often works along those lines when we have dinner parties.

[tangent]
Am I right in thinking that in parts of Canada it's regarded as a bit naff to open bottles of wine brought by your guests? I've seen contestants on Come Dine With Me expressing horror when the hosting contestant does it, but maybe in those cases it was because the host's supply had run out (or the guests were just looking for something to carp about).

FWIW I disagree; if someone brings a nice bottle of wine that goes well with what we're eating, I'll open it. Conversely, we have friends who aren't really wine buffs*, and they're happy enough for us to say "go ahead and open this one" when we bring something that we like (although as they've got to know us, they've started getting in wines that we like when we visit them).

[/tangent OFF]

* Think Piat d'Or or Maria Cristina ... [Eek!]

To follow the tangent

I wouldn't dream of not offering the wine/chocolates that somebody brings to a 'do.'

It would feel miserly and ungracious to hide them away for my own consumption later.. Of course if there were many bottles we couldn't open them all, but I would let them be available in a free choice when the next bottles were to be opened

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all. Decluttering is certainly on the list of things to do, I am formulating a plan and even reading a book about it. [Biased] I will definitely need to keep busy.

It is true that we'll get the dining room table back - he likes to study there at times, for a change of scene - so could have people round for meals more. Mr Nen and I have always had plenty of spaces in our togetherness and we'll have to work at finding things to do together. He, I think, is looking forward to it being just the two of us.

Thanks for what you said, Boogie. I feel a bit ashamed of feeling so bereft at the prospect of Nenlet2 not being here, glad I'm not alone in those feelings. We have an autumn of busy weekends, which should alleviate what NEQ describes as "the full horror." [Killing me]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are now firmly in the empty nest category after several instances of boomeranging offspring. As each child or couple moved out we did repurpose the room as suggested upthread.

After the last departure, the remaining spare bedroom was converted into a winter sitting-room cum guestroom by the purchase of a really good quality sofabed, with a slatted pullout base rather than one of those folding spring ones which dig into you when you lay down.

So, I have my study, Mrs BA has her craft room and we have that guestroom. I work in mine, she works in hers and we peacefully co-exist.

Our major issue is decluttering. We have inherited three deceased estates over the last ten years from my parents, my aunt and most recently her mother. Emptying her mother's house has been a slow process, and as both she and Mrs BA had/have extensive collections of craft materials, it is a real challenge to sort, store or dispose.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Just updating the appropriate thread with news I've posted elsewhere - Nenlet2 sorted out his accommodation rather more quickly than anticipated and moved to his new university town last week. So Mr Nen and I are Empty Nesters rather earlier than we'd expected. Or, as NEQ would put it, the full horror is upon us. [Biased]

Nen - [Eek!]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

We have another two weeks to go. Fortunately September is rather full - I have two conferences, husband has one, we have friends coming to stay and both the North East offspring will be home on the 18th as they're both registered to vote here.

So the full horror of it being "just the two of us" shouldn't hit till October. [Biased]

OTOH, the fact that we'll be apart for conferences for almost a third of September might be the start of what Nenya described elsewhere as "living parallel lives" - up to now, when one of us was away, the other had a child or two at home; the lack of "coupledom" was invisible because we were still living a "family" life.

[ 21. August 2014, 07:50: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Start getting ready for grandchildren. [Biased]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My son aims to become a full time writer. How many years do you suppose we'll have to wait till that pays enough for him to provide us with grandchildren??

Answers on a postcard....

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] [Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was advised to encourage offspring to remove all belongings when they leave [Killing me]

In reality, student rooms/ one room accommodation/ shared flats/ frequent moving.....all conspires against this.

Maybe it's something to be aimed at but no sleep lost over

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In any case, the removal of all their stuff is a sign they no longer regard you as 'home'.

Since my empty nest involved both of mine going off to uni 3 months after my other half died, it is not a time I look back on with fondness; in fact I feel pretty grim at the start of every term.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
I was advised to encourage offspring to remove all belongings when they leave [Killing me]

In reality, student rooms/ one room accommodation/ shared flats/ frequent moving.....all conspires against this.

I agree with L'organist on this one. It really hurt when my mother turned up at my 1-bed flat with boxes of stuff that I did not need immediately but did not want to lose, announcing that there was no room for them in the 4-bed house. It did feel like a clear statement that I was no longer welcome in the house that had been my home for the last 20 years.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:

I agree with L'organist on this one. It really hurt when my mother turned up at my 1-bed flat with boxes of stuff that I did not need immediately but did not want to lose, announcing that there was no room for them in the 4-bed house. It did feel like a clear statement that I was no longer welcome in the house that had been my home for the last 20 years.
I wasn't that hard on my two - we got all their belongings down from the loft and asked them to go through and get rid of what they no longer wanted. Anything they wanted us to keep was fine, as long as they gave me a business plan for WHY they needed it kept and FOR HOW LONG.

The Former Miss S's MiL, on the other hand, used to turn up at their new house with a car full of Stuff, in many cases not actually belonging to SiL (and clearly labelled to that effect [Ultra confused] )

Mrs. S, loving her children more than their belongings! [Biased]

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My SIL knew it was time to have a clear out when they realised they were only keeping a very large house going, in order to house teh stuff that their 4 grown up kids had left behind.

The last of whom had left home 10 years before....

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
My SIL knew it was time to have a clear out when they realised they were only keeping a very large house going, in order to house teh stuff that their 4 grown up kids had left behind.

The last of whom had left home 10 years before....

I still have some stuff in my childhood home - a few boxes of treasured mementos, a few shelves of books. I've been gradually paring it down over the last decade.

There wasn't much point in dragging my collection of memories through a series of very temporary homes, and the first place that we intended to live for more than a couple of years is on a different continent, so just going home with a carload is a non-starter.

I don't even sleep in "my" bedroom when we go back now, which I find I rather miss.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(slight) tangent

Of course, as a clergy house I never had a 'family home' which may have made me rather sensitive on the issue, but I know that the offspring, too, are not keen to see the house stripped bare of their presence.

In any case, how do you expect a 20 year old who plays virtually every sport there is to keep all their gear? At the moment the house (or an outbuilding) has within it
  • full cricket kit
  • spring-loaded stumps
  • golf clubs
  • surf boards
  • badminton kit
  • tennis kit
  • hockey sticks, boots, etc
  • ice skates
  • fishing rod, keep net, bag, waders
times two - plus the smaller stuff like football and rugby boots and other specialised clothing such as wetsuits. Even if a student could actually transport that lot to uni at the start of the year, where would they keep it all? Dammit, the furniture provided in hall by one place was so minimalist I actually had to go out and buy a chest of drawers for one since the only drawer in his room was the one in the 'desk'.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have stuff in my parents' house, mostly stored in boxes. I've lived in so many places and countries, often for a couple of years at most, that it isn't really feasible to drag everything along with me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Well I don’t count going to university as really leaving home, for a start you are only there for about 30 weeks a year – the other 22 you have to go somewhere else.

But that’s how so many parents end up storing their adult children’s stuff for years. Kids go to uni and leave what they can’t take with them at home with mum and dad. Then when they finish uni for good, they don’t come home but move to another place to work. And their stuff still stays at parents.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am in no hurry whatsoever to clear the kids rooms.

I move all the bits and pieces - left behind shoes and scarves out of the porch, the scatter of books everywhere, dump them all in their rooms and close the door. That makes the house feel empty enough without clearing what is behind their shut bedroom doors.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in favor of the gradual approach if nothing (e.g. illness, sudden need to move house) makes the faster approach necessary. I know when I left it hurt to have my mother actively trying to clear my stuff out of the garage (and some of my sister's to me, too!). But what really, really hurt wasn't that, but when she showed up with our baby teeth, kindergarten report cards, etc. and said "here, this means more to you than to me." My sister and I almost lost it. Symbolically it felt like she wanted no part of us anymore. I'm not doing that to my son, I've already informed him that he gets the most intimate baby souvenirs only after I'm dead.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad died when I had been living over here about 9 years and only after that did I manage to clear a whole load of my stuff out of his house before it was sold.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeping all your kids' stuff for them necessarily entails keeping a big house. Not fun, as the years roll by. Eventually , one must downsize. What are two older people doing in a house big enough for six? Merely housing the kids' stuff?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my parents moved after we were grown, they agreed to store one trunk for each of us. It was up to us what went into that trunk.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Gosh, Moo, a really good idea.

One I'll try when they finish at uni and move onto a first job away from home. (I passed this onto a friend just now and he's going to give it a try too).

Thanks.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

When I moved out of the family home and got married, I made sure I took everything that belonged to me. It made me feel at home in my new house. So I do find it hard to understand why everyone else doesn't want to do the same.

I have agreed to keep our adult offsprings' belongings, on condition that they go up in the loft. And you never know what the mice will get up to....

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left home to a bedsit, I could only take all my stuff from home when I was renting a bigger place. I suspect that's a factor for many.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

admitting: that i quite like having their clobber around
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
When I moved out of the family home and got married, I made sure I took everything that belonged to me. It made me feel at home in my new house. So I do find it hard to understand why everyone else doesn't want to do the same.

Because I wasn't making a new home when I moved out of my parents' home. My permanent move out of the family home came when I finished college and went to graduate school. In order, I rented ...

--a bedroom in a condo (9 months)
--a sublet one-bedroom apartment full of the renter's stuff (3 months)
--a three-bedroom apartment with two roommates (2 years)
--a one-bedroom apartment (3 years)
--a four-bedroom house with three roommates (3 years)

... and then I finally settled down into the one-bedroom apartment I have now.

So yeah, I left some stuff in my parents' huge house. They had no intention of moving, and what was I going to do with two crates of china from my grandmother? It's not something you move when moving entails renting a truck and buying pizza and beer for your friends.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Moo's idea is great.

I think I took all of my crap within four years, and it took that long because four years is how long before you get your first permanent call (= placement) in the ministry of the LCMS. We could easily have ended up living a few blocks away from her, if our first congregation had turned out to be in CA. We thought it would, and had good reason to think so.

In which case it would have been silly to move unneeded fragile stuff cross-country only to re-move it back to the same place again.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016