homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why is Evangelicalism associated with homophobia? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why is Evangelicalism associated with homophobia?
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(This thread is a spinoff from the Death of Evangelicalism thread in Purgatory).

My answer to the question in the title is quite simple; Homophobia is an Evangelical Shibboleth. It may or may not be the issue that Evangelical Christians are all homophobes - but dissent from the homophobic party line and they will throw you out - as happened in the case of Steve Chalke. On the other hand if you're only a little shy of the level reached by Fred Phelps and Christianity Today may call you "Too Christian". No, I don't consider Fred Phelps had much to do with normal Evangelical Christians, but based on the Christianity Today response, his was a fault on the right side.

And even within as "moderate" a church as the Church of England (where moderate means "We try to remain friends both with the persecutors and the persecuted, judging neither") the high ranking Evangelicals are trying desperately to defend their homophobia - with results ranging from the laughable and knowingly wrong to a straight up surrender to terrorism (in Justin Welby's case) - which is considerably better than someone of the intellectual stature of N. T. Wright can manage. Neither of them are stupid people - they must know how much hogwash the arguments I've linked are. But to remain Evangelical and in good standing they need to support the party line.

Dealing with the reply on the Purgatory thread that lead to this

Homophobia is the word for this form of bigotry. Object or not, I do not care. But if you oppose the right of people who love each other to get married and are working to separate families (as opponents of gay marriage are) then homophobia is being polite. If you have a pharisee-like dedication to the rules and are callous and unempathetic about those they hurt, that's worse. If you deny your approach leads to suffering, that's just callous blindness. If you're going by the derivation rather than the meaning of homophobia, the phobia part at least gives you an excuse. If it's a matter of religious purity and making man for the Sabbath, who cares? And destroying mutually loving relationships is, I trust, failing to love your neighbour as yourself.

As for society changing on you, cry me a river. Evangelical Christians didn't generally seek an end to slavery either (there were a few exceptions - and an Evangelical Anglican like Wilberforce had to lead the Abolitionists in parliament because Quakers were banned). For that matter, one major evangelical denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention, was founded explicitly for the purpose of being pro-slavery.

Jonathan Edwards of the Great Awakening was not just a slaveowner but lobbied successfully to have slavery expanded into the state of Georgia. And before you claim he was a man of his time, that was also the time of John Woolman - who converted the Quakers into an anti-slavery denomination. The Quakers then, as now, were far ahead of the times.

But that "society has changed" is even used as a defence only underscores the fact that unless actively evangelising you need the shibboleths to tell Evangelicals from everyone else in day to day life. (And in Britain we don't have the "Right wing" shibboleth and abortion isn't such a big thing).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preach it, Brother!

I've never understood how Christians, who supposedly follow the Two Great Commandments as laid out by their Inspiration, can mange to be so utterly hate-filled in their dealings with some groups of people.

Remember? Those who are made in the Image of God?

But then I don't understand Bishop Amalric "Kill them all. God will know His own" either. There are times when I wonder if certain Christians have moved past that viewpoint even now.

Makes it difficult to attempt to evangelise among people who know and like LGBTs, women, the disabled, the oppressed ethnic minorities, blacks....

And I'm seeing more notes about the "nones" who are "spiritual, but not religious". Funny that - you'd think they would love to join in doing oppression, slander and lying.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was raised an Anglican/Episcopalian and went to an evangelical university (Azusa-Pacific U. in southern California) and returned to the Episcopal Church my senior year, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm gay.

Biblical literalism and an idealization of 1st Century moral norms and culture are at the root of it. Homophobia is merely a subset of evangelical patriarchy which manifested itself in many ways. Women went to college to find a husband (also known as getting your MRS degree). Female purity was celebrated. On our college campus, dancing was prohibited because it might lead to inappropriate touching, etc. Men and women were in separate housing and could not be in a closed room together. And of course homosexuality, particularly male homosexuality, is a no-no.

All this feeds on a literal interpretation of the Bible where the culture of 1st Century Palestine is believed to be an ideal that we're falling away from.

The evangelical outcry over homosexuality is such because it cuts to the root of this patriarchy. It's a direct challenge to it in a way that divorce, slavery, charging interest on a loan, materialism, worship of celebrity and the powerful (all condemned in the NT) isn't.

Conservative evangelicalism as we know it is falling apart for the reasons articulated here: 3 Key Reasons Why Religious Right Leaders Are So Angry. Younger evangelicals are far more egalitarian and much more relaxed about homosexuality. My former university even has a gay-straight alliance now. The Baby Boomer leaders can see the writing on the wall and try to use homosexuality as a last attempt to rally the troops and stop these changes from happening, but you can't stop this kind of social change.

[ 27. June 2014, 17:36: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Jonathan Edwards of the Great Awakening was not just a slaveowner but lobbied successfully to have slavery expanded into the state of Georgia.

[pedantry] I think you're confusing Jonathan Edwards with George Whitefield. And he lobbied for the legalization of slavery in the colony of Georgia, which wouldn't be a state until about a quarter of a century later. [/pedantry]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The association is not helped by reporting bias in the media. Not all evangelicals believe homosexual activity to be a sin. And, of those that do a large number would consider that it's not the business of the church to be dictating what laws should be passed in a secular society and, therefore, would not protest against same sex marriages. But, one person standing up and shouting about the evils of homosexuality attracts the press. A hundred, or a thousand, people sitting in their homes not making a protest at all goes unreported. And, even when evangelicals stand up and say they support same sex marriage and do not consider that homosexuality is a sin it fails to make the news. Unless there's some form of counter protest - in which case what do the papers say? "Evangelical says 'homosexuality is not a sin'"? Do they heck, you get "bunch of raving lunatic evangelicals denounce tolerant views".

Just in case anyone wonders. I'm an evangelical. Give me a copy of the UCCF doctrinal basis, the EA statement of belief or something similar from a broad evangelical organisation and I will sign where it says "I believe this".

I also believe that all people have the right to form permanent, faithful, loving relationships called marriage. And, I don't believe it matters one jot whether those people are gay or straight.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evangelicals, by definition, are relatively conservative about matters of sexual behaviour. That's why they're 'associated with homophobia'.

Like all religious groups they change in various ways over time, but if (gay or straight) evangelicals with contemporary moral sensibilities find it's all taking too long, the most reasonable thing to do would be to abandon evangelicalism, since there's no shortage of other more tolerant churches that desperately need more members.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, long-time lurker delurking to say ...

Evangelicalism's fixation on gay relationships is really about biblical authority. Homosexuality is just the presenting issue. It's a conflict between types of revelation: did God's revelation close with the Bible, or can evidence reveal new things today?

TBF, there are affirming evangelicals who believe the Bible doesn't condemn loving gay relationships, but they're currently in the minority.

The precedent of evangelicals who affirm women's ministry indicates that pro-gay evangelicals may end up in the majority, which is why anti-gay evangelicals work furiously to separate the two issues.

If evangelicalism does stop fighting a proxy war over homosexuality, expect a new "issue" to emerge in short order. Unless it fundamentally changes its beliefs about revelation and authority, it needs one.

[ 27. June 2014, 21:20: Message edited by: Byron ]

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not that easy to ditch evangelicalism. As I said, I agree with the basic theological position of evangelicalism. If I was to transfer my allegiance to a different part of the Christian tradition I would have to change my theological position on a lot of things, just to find a better fit for a secondary issue.

As it happens, I don't belong to or worship in a self-defined evangelical church. That's because I find too much evangelical worship fails to reflect the spiritual and intellectual depth of evangelical belief. But, I'm still an evangelical. And, I still find what some evangelicals say about homosexuality disgusting, and I wish I could disassociate myself from them. But, I am evangelical, it's the core of what I believe.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Byron,

That is a while to lurk. Thanks for that post.

You are, of course, right that homosexuality is a presenting issue over a deeper question. I'm not sure it's as simple as "is the Bible authoritative?". The big questions are, what do we mean by saying the Bible is the "supreme authority on matters of faith and conduct"?, what does "authority" mean anyway?. Also there is a whole bunch of questions about interpretive methods.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Evangelicals, by definition, are relatively conservative about matters of sexual behaviour. That's why they're 'associated with homophobia'.

What definition is that you're referring to?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:

TBF, there are affirming evangelicals who believe the Bible doesn't condemn loving gay relationships, but they're currently in the minority.

I suggest that they'll always be in the minority, because churches that go down this path may eventually cease to label themselves or to be labelled as evangelicals. The term may lose its appeal for them (although 'evangelicalism' seems to be a 'brand' that many people are reluctant to give up these days).

In terms of women in leadership, it's not clear why it should be considered as exactly the same sort of issue as homosexuality. If it's a matter of evangelicals choosing to 'go against the letter of Bible' on one but not the other, you have to admit that all Christian groups, evangelical or otherwise, aim to be biblically literal on some matters but not on others. I don't see why evangelicals alone should be called out on this!

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Byron,

That is a while to lurk. Thanks for that post.

[Smile]

(Do like to warm up. [Big Grin] )
quote:
You are, of course, right that homosexuality is a presenting issue over a deeper question. I'm not sure it's as simple as "is the Bible authoritative?". The big questions are, what do we mean by saying the Bible is the "supreme authority on matters of faith and conduct"?, what does "authority" mean anyway?. Also there is a whole bunch of questions about interpretive methods.
Yup, different types of authority is an interesting one. Open evangelicals do seem to tend towards a more holistic approach, emphasizing the overall message of scripture over proof-texting.

The thread that links the evangelical types is whether words gain special weight from being in the Bible. Liberal theology would, by and large, say no, that source is irrelevant to merit, going right back to differences over revelation.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
I suggest that they'll always be in the minority, because churches that go down this path may eventually cease to label themselves or to be labelled as evangelicals. The term may lose its appeal for them (although 'evangelicalism' seems to be a 'brand' that many people are reluctant to give up these days).

In terms of women in leadership, it's not clear why it should be considered as exactly the same sort of issue as homosexuality. If it's a matter of evangelicals choosing to 'go against the letter of Bible' on one but not the other, you have to admit that all Christian groups, evangelical or otherwise, aim to be biblically literal on some matters but not on others. I don't see why evangelicals alone should be called out on this!

I agree that most Christian groups are guilty of using selective authority: even someone as liberal as John Shelby Spong deploys the word "heresy" unironically. The problem's most pronounced in traditions that place particular weight on special revelation (evangelicals; Catholic and Orthodox churches).

Evangelicalism's framework (Bebbington quadrilateral, roughly) needn't be lashed to dead horses. Its model of authority and salvation can stand apart from them, which is why affirming evangelicals are keen to keep the name. They have far more in common with their fellow evangelicals than they do with the Spongs of the world.

Sexuality and headship are different, true, but there're more similarities than selective traditionalists want to admit. Those who've rejected headship but not straight-as-norm, like Fulcrum, are in a very difficult position, unable to control the precedent they've set.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:

I'm assuming that evangelicalism promotes relatively high standards of personal sexual restraint because this quality seems to be promoted as virtue in the NT; there may also be an anxiety about maintaining borders around the family as the protected site of religious transmission and acculturation, which would also be backed up by appeals to the NT.

It might be possible to found an evangelical church that positively claimed biblical justification for sexual liberation, rather than simply inching towards it as a result of cultural pressure or of personal sexual preferences, but perhaps such strict positivity might have been more in evidence in some Christian groups in earlier centuries rather than today. Polygamy is now depicted as existing only as a means of oppressing women, but googling suggests that some early Anabaptists allowed it as an outworking of personal conscience (see p. 29). Presumably this attitude would work for other kinds of sexual relationships as well.

Such groups never seen to become normative. They remain small and often to die out. Persecution contributed to this, of course, but even in modern America, where religious diversity runs rampant, how many self-proclaimed evangelical churches have a theology that openly proclaims the value of polyandry or even the biblical acceptability of the ever-new practice of sowing one's (heterosexual) wild oats? I suppose there's the Amish 'rumspringa' period, but even that seems to be more about pragmatism than theology.

I stand to be corrected! It's a very interesting subject.
[Smile]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:

Sexuality and headship are different, true, but there're more similarities than selective traditionalists want to admit. Those who've rejected headship but not straight-as-norm, like Fulcrum, are in a very difficult position, unable to control the precedent they've set.

I don't know anything about Fulcrum, but it would be interesting to know if gay relationships tend to be more tolerated or acceptable in congregations led by women ministers than otherwise. I've read research which claims that women clergy tend to be more liberal than men. Tolerance may be allowed in certain congregations, but whether denominational teachings will change is another matter, especially since there are fewer women leaders the further up the ladder you go.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The association is not helped by reporting bias in the media. Not all evangelicals believe homosexual activity to be a sin.

I'm not sure you can blame media bias for this one. No one ever got their membership in the evangelical tribe revoked for being too anti-gay. On the other hand, you frequently hear the evangelical bonafides questioned when someone previously thought of as evangelical endorses any kind of rights for gay people.

quote:
It's not that easy to ditch evangelicalism. As I said, I agree with the basic theological position of evangelicalism. If I was to transfer my allegiance to a different part of the Christian tradition I would have to change my theological position on a lot of things, just to find a better fit for a secondary issue.

Part of the problem is that modern evangelicalism seems to be not so much about theology as tribal boundary markers. In other words, it doesn't seem to matter how closely you conform to the Bebbington quadrilateral, or any other combination of theology and geometry. What matters is that you're anti-gay, complimentarian, and creationist.

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

The boundary markers that Crœsos notes are likely tied to evangelicalism's long history of separatism, forever in tension with its desire for revival. If you're the elect of God, with an eternity in hell awaiting if you get it wrong, boundaries are everything.

Get your boundaries fixed, and you can be in the world, but not of the world, be the diamond in the mire.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Jonathan Edwards of the Great Awakening was not just a slaveowner but lobbied successfully to have slavery expanded into the state of Georgia.

[pedantry] I think you're confusing Jonathan Edwards with George Whitefield. And he lobbied for the legalization of slavery in the colony of Georgia, which wouldn't be a state until about a quarter of a century later. [/pedantry]
Point. Edwards was "just" a slaveowner. It's Whitefield who was the active advocate of slavery.

quote:
The association is not helped by reporting bias in the media. Not all evangelicals believe homosexual activity to be a sin.

Indeed. And not all Roman Catholics believe that contraception is a sin. Nevertheless the most directly influential leaders almost all do (and in Britain I'll start with Welby, Sentamu, and N.T. Wright) - and when someone like Steve Chalke refuses to toe the party line they try to throw him out.

quote:
But, one person standing up and shouting about the evils of homosexuality attracts the press.
I will accept that Fred Phelps and Stephen Green attract the press. But to say that it's "one person standing up and shouting about the evils of homosexuality" is thoroughly disingenous I'm afraid. I suppose that the current Archbishop of Canterbury is one person. The current Archbishop of York is a second. The last but one Archbishop of Canterbury is a third. Nicky Gumbel and his Alpha Course is a fourth. N. T. Wright and his influential scholarship is a fifth. And we can add the official position of the Evangelical Alliance

Find me five non-homophobic Evangelicals as influential and in the positions of power of those five. (OK, so George Carey's over the hill so that leaves four).

You yourself mention the Evangelical Alliance (which has just kicked out Steve Chalke for not being homophobic) and the UCCF. Both unapologetic promoters of homophobia. And you could sign your name to the UCCF and EA mission statements? I could probably sign the majority of the Tory manifesto and I've been playing The Internationale earlier today. The implementation on the other hand?

And one of the things the late Fred Phelps and Stephen Green allow decent evangelicals to do is wash their hands and thank God that they are not like that pharisee. This while turning a blind eye to the fact the leaders that they empower are in many cases preaching things that, once you look at what is being said rather than how it is being said, more resemble Stephen Green than their own views.

So no, you don't get a free pass for being so far as I can tell a thoroughly decent person. You especially don't get a pass for trying to distract attention by bringing up Stephen Green, Fred Phelps et. al. filling column inches. You want an Evangelical movement that represents your views on things other than the Doctrinal Bases? Get. It. Changed. It's your movement, not mine.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
I don't know anything about Fulcrum, but it would be interesting to know if gay relationships tend to be more tolerated or acceptable in congregations led by women ministers than otherwise. I've read research which claims that women clergy tend to be more liberal than men. Tolerance may be allowed in certain congregations, but whether denominational teachings will change is another matter, especially since there are fewer women leaders the further up the ladder you go.

When a person who's been subjected to oppression gets power, two responses appear common: empathy and solidarity with the suffering of others; or shoring-up your newfound status by joining the (modified) status quo.

I don't think women in leadership will be any less of a mixture than men: in the Church of England, the eight women invited to the House of Bishops as "Participant Observers" have, sadly, proved more than the equal of their male counterparts in keeping silent about the rights of lesbian and gay people.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:

Hypocrisy. Few groups other than Evangelicals claim full biblical literalism so the charge that they aren't being doesn't sting.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I don't think all evangelicals claim 'full biblical literalism'. That's fundamentalists.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do, however, tend to bang on about how Biblical, Bible-believing and/or Bible-based they are, with the strong implication that other Christians are deficient in that area. "I believe what the Bible teaches" as a preface is almost always followed by a splurge of homophobia, and less commonly misogyny too.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continued association is an ongoing issue for me. On balance I'd rather be inside the tent pissing out. That was the line I took over women In leadership and ministry thirty years ago. It cost me some credibility with conservatives in the short term. Earned me respect in the long term. I think that's the way it will go on the gay issue as well.

But we'll see. I'd rather work for reform than posture. In an independent Congo like the one I go to and where I have many friends after 40 years association, it feels like the right way to go. Most of the folks I know who are conservative about this issue are very fair minded on lots of other issues. I'd rather work with that, patiently. advance the good moral and hermeneutical arguments.

But I appreciate why others regard it as akin to condoning prejudice. The problem is that bias is normal and everyone has blind spots over something. Including me. So I keep on trying to make a difference and I'm far from being on my own on this issue. In my Congo, I don't think this will be an issue in a few years time.

There is a groundswell of movement. Steve Chalk spoke at our celebratory service when we moved to a new building. His social action agenda earned him a lot of respect. Loads of people read Brian Maclaren and find him helpful. I think these are very good signs.

But the issue remains a tricky one for me personally.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

You yourself mention the Evangelical Alliance (which has just kicked out Steve Chalke for not being homophobic) and the UCCF. Both unapologetic promoters of homophobia. And you could sign your name to the UCCF and EA mission statements?

What I said was I could sign their respective doctrinal statements - Evangelical Alliance and UCCF - neither of which say a word about sexuality. I said that as a statement of my evangelical "credentials", not that I necessarily support all that those organisations do (I'm not at present a member of either). I've not looked at what UCCF have said about sexuality recently. But, clearly the EA has been making noise recently with the severing of the membership of Oasis Trust. It's still interesting to note that that decision followed an extensive period of discussion within the Alliance, and between the Alliance and Oasis Trust. If there was a simple, single opinion within the EA then there would have been no need for that discussion - Oasis and Chalke would have been out much earlier. The affirmations of the Pastoral Responses to Homosexuality report make interesting reading, and certainly don't represent a virulent homophobia - although personally I still think they are not as affirming as I would like. But, we have to remember that the EA represents a broad constituency (even if recent events has probably resulted in a narrowing of their constituency to the more conservative end of the evangelical spectrum), and a large part of that membership would hold very conservative attitudes to marriage, who probably thought that same document went too far in affirming homosexuality.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Homophobia is the word for this form of bigotry.

"Homophobia" is not the word, but on the contrary a manipulative, dishonest and unacceptable smear.

And a theologically based opposition to homosexual practice is not bigotry.

Caliing opponents of homosexual practice "homophobes" is like calling homosexuals "poofters", girls who wear short dresses "sluts", supporters of the welfare state "communists", policemen "fascists", and boat-people "queue jumpers".

quote:
if you oppose the right of people who love each other to get married and are working to separate families (as opponents of gay marriage are) then homophobia is being polite. If you have a pharisee-like dedication to the rules and are callous and unempathetic about those they hurt, that's worse. If you deny your approach leads to suffering, that's just callous blindness.
This is nothing more than a confused and moralistic attempt at emotional blackmail.

Jesus taught love of God and neighbour AND what we would call "traditional" sexual ethics; they are not mutually exclusive.

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
...a theologically based opposition to homosexual practice is not bigotry.

Okay, but what about a theologically based desire for homosexual practice and homosexual people to be treated differently in the eyes of the law?
quote:
Jesus taught love of God and neighbour AND what we would call "traditional" sexual ethics; they are not mutually exclusive.

Even if one grants this, did Jesus teach that we should campaign for so-called traditional sexual ethics to be favoured by the law? (For example, with regard to pension and inheritance rights, differing ages of consent, tax breaks for opposite-sex but not same-sex couples etc.)

Wishing that one's own particular take on morality should be made law without a clear evidence base for why such laws would benefit society surely merits use of the word 'bigotry'...?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
quote:

I'm assuming that evangelicalism promotes relatively high standards of personal sexual restraint because this quality seems to be promoted as virtue in the NT; there may also be an anxiety about maintaining borders around the family as the protected site of religious transmission and acculturation, which would also be backed up by appeals to the NT.

It might be possible to found an evangelical church that positively claimed biblical justification for sexual liberation, rather than simply inching towards it as a result of cultural pressure or of personal sexual preferences, but perhaps such strict positivity might have been more in evidence in some Christian groups in earlier centuries rather than today. Polygamy is now depicted as existing only as a means of oppressing women, but googling suggests that some early Anabaptists allowed it as an outworking of personal conscience (see p. 29). Presumably this attitude would work for other kinds of sexual relationships as well.

Such groups never seen to become normative. They remain small and often to die out. Persecution contributed to this, of course, but even in modern America, where religious diversity runs rampant, how many self-proclaimed evangelical churches have a theology that openly proclaims the value of polyandry or even the biblical acceptability of the ever-new practice of sowing one's (heterosexual) wild oats? I suppose there's the Amish 'rumspringa' period, but even that seems to be more about pragmatism than theology.

I stand to be corrected! It's a very interesting subject.
[Smile]

I don't think it necessarily follows that promoting high standards of sexual behaviour equates with being opposed to homosexual behaviour. Indeed, I know of some gay Christian groups that take the line that while sexuality is not a choice, sexual morality is and that homosexuals ought to have the same high standards of sexual behaviour as heterosexuals.

But of course, such a position requires taking the view that homosexual behaviour is not, in and of itself, a falling below standard and a departure from a heterosexual norm. Many Evangelicals are wedded (if you'll pardon the expression) to a reading of Scripture that presupposes it's the very homosexuality of the behaviour that makes it wrong when a piece of homosexual behaviour is condemned in the Bible, not any other aspect of the behaviour. The fact that much heterosexual behaviour is condemned in the Bible - and not because it is heterosexual - is not generally considered.

Thus, Sodom is destroyed because the perpetrators were male and the intended victims were male, not because raping houseguests is wrong regardless of gender.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The affirmations of the Pastoral Responses to Homosexuality report make interesting reading, and certainly don't represent a virulent homophobia

Nope, the 'affirmations' you link to are pretty strongly anti-gay, so I would regard them as a thousand percent unacceptable on grounds of homophobia.

I was particularly amused and angered by "We do not accept that holding these theological and ethical views on biblical grounds is in itself homophobic." LOL. What meaningless drivel! They might as well just write something like "We do not regard racism as in itself racist." Why not just be done with it and add an affirmation: "We do not regard the definitions of English words as applying to us, so we can write whatever self-contradictory stuff we like. And so, no matter how homophobic we are, if we say it isn't homophobia then it isn't, because we get to define words."

There is, I think, a pervasive delusion within evangelical Christianity that being against gay people living their lives is different to "homophobia". The delusion is that if someone is anti-gay in a nasty way that stems from simply an innate fear of gay people, then that is "homophobia" and bad; whereas if a person is anti-gay in a "kind" and "loving" way that stems from sincerely held biblical belief, then that is totally okay and not "homophobia" at all. This absurdity stems, I think, from the conviction that it must be not a bad thing to be anti-gay because "the bible says to be", but that "homophobia" must be bad because society says it is and because even the staunchest evangelical can see that there are ways of being nasty to gay people that are just too nasty and are overdoing it. So then they set up "homophobia" as bad and representing the bad ways of treating gay people, versus the "good" ways of being anti-gay which they convince themselves are "not homophobia".

This, I think, is behind the patently absurd pronouncements that Evangelicals then make about how they hold anti-gay views because they're biblically based but they themselves definitely aren't homophobic. Such statements read, to the outside observer, exactly like saying "well I don't think black people should be able to marry, because from a biblical standpoint I've come to that view, but I'm not "racist", I really don't think it's fair to call me "racist", I just don't like black people is all." The outside observer can then only conclude that the person is an idiot who does not understand English, and also that they are very definitely racist. The really strange thing is that nearly all evangelicals would agree immediately that someone who was opposed to black people being able to marry would be "racist", but they go into massive denial mode at the suggestion that being opposed to gay people being able to marry is "homophobic" or "anti-gay" and start pulling word-redefinitions left, right and centre. Because of course when they do exactly the same thing to gay people as the racist does to black people, they aren't doing anything wrong, but the racist of course is. The hypocrisy is sickening.

For this reason, I myself tend to avoid using the word "homophobic" because anti-gay Christians deliberately misinterpret it and respond "oh, no, no, I'm not homophobic, I just have a biblically based view about why gay everything is bad", so to avoid myself from having to bang my head repeatedly against walls and call them morons when they give that response, I prefer to simply talk about them being "anti gay-rights" or "anti gay-marriage". Even they can usually agree that they are "anti gay marriage", and they don't usually start playing stupid word games to try and paint themselves in a less negative light (except when they decide "oh no, I'm not anti anything, I'm just for traditional marriage!" [brick wall] )

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ADDENDUM: The fact that the Bible itself equates Sodom with inhospitality, rather than homosexuality, on at least 2 occasions tends to be ignored in many Bible-quoting churches.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
There is, I think, a pervasive delusion within evangelical Christianity that being against gay people living their lives is different to "homophobia".

One has to examine why that's a 'delusion', though. Because on a proper etymological derivation, it is different.

Phobias are not about being 'anti'-something, they are about irrational fear. Being irrationally afraid of black people is not actually the same thing as being 'racist'. I don't know what the correct word 'phobia' word would be for fear of black people, but it would have 'phobia' in it. 'Racist' has to do with treating one race disadvantageously in comparison to another.

Similarly, 'sexist' does not necessarily connote fear of women.

So how is it, then, that 'homophobia' has come to be the go-to word for being against homosexuals in any way whatsoever? Is it just because 'sexualist' or 'heterosexualist' didn't roll off the tongue?

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The affirmations of the Pastoral Responses to Homosexuality report make interesting reading, and certainly don't represent a virulent homophobia - although personally I still think they are not as affirming as I would like.

You know how if someone says, "I'm not a homophobe, but...", and how as a rule of thumb, everything after "but" is homophobic? Well, statements 1 and 2 in your link are "I'm not a homophobe", and somewhere between 2 and 3 there's an invisible "but". I'm sure that, from this, you can deduce what I think about everything that comes thereafter.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

"Homophobia" is not the word, but on the contrary a manipulative, dishonest and unacceptable smear.
A lot of racists had that term too, but it doesn't make it any less applicable.

quote:
Again, the same was said about those who had theologically based opposition to interracial marriage or desegregation. (i.e., God put the different races on different continents just so they wouldn't mix.) Just because one can find some rationale in the Bible doesn't make the animus go away.

quote:
Caliing opponents of homosexual practice "homophobes" is like calling homosexuals "poofters", girls who wear short dresses "sluts", supporters of the welfare state "communists", policemen "fascists", and boat-people "queue jumpers".
Hardly. Being gay is an innate and unchangeable part of a person. Homophobia is a consciously chosen belief or attitude.

quote:
if you oppose the right of people who love each other to get married and are working to separate families (as opponents of gay marriage are) then homophobia is being polite. If you have a pharisee-like dedication to the rules and are callous and unempathetic about those they hurt, that's worse. If you deny your approach leads to suffering, that's just callous blindness.
This is nothing more than a confused and moralistic attempt at emotional blackmail.

quote:
Jesus taught love of God and neighbour AND what we would call "traditional" sexual ethics; they are not mutually exclusive. [/QB]
Jesus said nothing about homosexuality.

[ 28. June 2014, 11:38: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If you are against a certain race of people being able to have rights that other people have, then you are "racist". That is a descriptive word that is used in English to describe that kind of view. It secondarily has taken on negative connotations since racism is widely disapproved of, so we perceive people who are "racist" in a bad light. So the word is primarily a simple description but secondarily a derogatory term that can be used as a slur on people's character by accusing them of holding the opinions denoted by the word.

In English the word for being against gay people having the same rights other people have is "homophobic." Like the word "racist", this word is primarily descriptive, but has secondarily become a negative slur because of the widespread disapproval of being against gay rights. If you are against gay rights then by definition you are homophobic, and if you don't happen to like that word then sad day for you.

quote:
Would you regard theological based opposition to black people as bigotry? I would. And the gay case is analogous, so of course such opposition is bigotry.

quote:
Jesus also apparently accepted slavery and yet we've rightly come to realize that slavery is not consistent with the true love of one's neighbour. You also severely overstate your case in claiming Jesus was a teacher of "traditional" sexual ethics. He said nothing anti-gay. He possibly said something very pro-gay depending on how the word "eunuchs" is interpreted. And he responded very positively in the case of the Centurion's beloved sick slave where Jesus would have known there was a definite possibility that it was a gay relationship.

quote:

[Axe murder] [Overused]
Excellent summary of the important points!

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
So how is it, then, that 'homophobia' has come to be the go-to word for being against homosexuals in any way whatsoever? Is it just because 'sexualist' or 'heterosexualist' didn't roll off the tongue?

That's an interesting historical question. Because obviously if you break the word "homophobia" down into its components, "homo" and "phobia" then it looks as if it would mean "fear of gay people" and thus that only a person who feared gay people would be "homophobic". Obviously it doesn't actually mean this, and thinking that the meaning of a word is the sum of its etymological pieces is a pretty basic fallacy in linguistics, but I think it's a fallacy that a lot of people do fall into with regard to this word ("I'm not afraid of gay people, therefore I'm not 'homophobic' right?" [Disappointed] ).

The question of why the word in English for being against gay people and gay rights is "homophobia" rather than "hetroist" or "sexualist" as you suggest is an interesting one, which I can offer absolutely no insight into! I think, however, if one of those alternates had been adopted historically then there wouldn't be nearly as many problems today with people saying the nonsensical: "Well I'm anti-gay but I'm not homophobic!" [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
quote:
Hardly. Being gay is an innate and unchangeable part of a person. Homophobia is a consciously chosen belief or attitude.

Forgive me, but that is a massive non sequitur. Since when is being a policeman innate and unchangeable? How does your response actually have anything to do with what was said?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
Obviously it doesn't actually mean this, and thinking that the meaning of a word is the sum of its etymological pieces is a pretty basic fallacy in linguistics, but I think it's a fallacy that a lot of people do fall into with regard to this word ("I'm not afraid of gay people, therefore I'm not 'homophobic' right?" [Disappointed] ).

I agree it doesn't actually mean this in usage. I don't agree that it's "obvious". That's the point, really. It's actually a very odd choice of word.

I can't immediately think of any other example of a 'phobia' coming to mean opposition instead of fear. It certainly stands apart from the vast majority of 'phobias', which have continued to mean something that we are afraid of. Which is why I can well understand that people object to being called homophobes when they're not exhibiting a fear response. Actual usage does trump etymology, but the usage here is inconsistent with all the other usage as well.

I really do suspect it simply has to do with the word being 'catchy' and easy to say. All those 'o' sounds together are nice.

And I suspect the reason that the usage causes conflict is because the usage is recent. Not that I have any data to hand, but I suspect the word 'homophobia' can't be more than a few decades old.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
What I said was I could sign their respective doctrinal statements

An organisation's mission statement doesn't say everything there is about them. There is very little in the Conservative Party's Aims and Values I couldn't sign up to. But my chances of voting Tory in the next fifteen years? About the same a genetic engineer succeeding in creating a Pigasus.

The Tory Party exists beyond its aims and values, and the UCCF and EA exist beyond their doctrinal bases.

quote:
The affirmations of the Pastoral Responses to Homosexuality report make interesting reading, and certainly don't represent a virulent homophobia
Really? If you want to know whether a document is homophobic, there's one simple test. Go through the thing replacing the mentions of gay sex with inter-racial sex. Your entire document there reads to me as fairly virulent homophobia that's dressed up and put on makeup for the cameras.

quote:
From the linked statement:
5. We oppose moves within certain churches to accept and/or endorse sexually active same-sex partnerships as a legitimate form of Christian relationship and to permit the ordination to ministry of those in such sexual relationships. We stand prayerfully with those in such churches who are seeking to resist these moves on biblical grounds.

6. We oppose church services of blessing for civil partnerships and other forms of gay and lesbian relationships as unbiblical and reject any redefinition of marriage to encompass same-sex relationships.
9. We believe both habitual homoerotic sexual activity without repentance and public promotion of such activity are inconsistent with faithful church membership. While processes of membership and discipline differ from one church context to another, we believe that either of these behaviours warrants consideration for church discipline.

10. We encourage evangelical congregations to welcome and accept sexually active lesbians and gay men. However, they should do so in the expectation that they, like all of us who are living outside God's purposes, will come in due course to see the need to be transformed and live in accordance with biblical revelation and orthodox church teaching.

"Not as affirming as [you'd] like"? That's one way of putting it. Me, I wouldn't call that document affirming in the slightest. Quite the reverse. I would say that the very central message is "You must not affirm gay relationships in any way, shape, or form, and if people are truly members of the Church they will lose any gay relationships they have."

After reading that link I'm in full agreement with Adeodatus. "I'm not a homophobe but..." never goes anywhere good. And there's an unspoken but between points 2 and 3.

quote:
And back to Alan Cresswell:
But, we have to remember that the EA represents a broad constituency (even if recent events has probably resulted in a narrowing of their constituency to the more conservative end of the evangelical spectrum), and a large part of that membership would hold very conservative attitudes to marriage, who probably thought that same document went too far in affirming homosexuality.

Could you tell me how that statement is in practice any different from:
quote:
Justinian sumarising Alan Cresswell:
But we have to remember that EA has a lot of members, and a lot of those members are raging homophobes. It is more important for us to make nice with raging homophobes than it is for us to provide any support or affirmation to gay people in any way, shape, or form. And even the line we have drawn might be too much for the raging homophobes - and they are more important to us than the gay people they would oppress.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
I don't think all evangelicals claim 'full biblical literalism'. That's fundamentalists.

Fundamentalists are normally a subset of Evangelicals IME. And I really must stop confusing inerrancy with literalism (although both the Bebbington Quadrilateral and the Five Fundamentals refer to inerrancy rather than literal truth).

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the OED homophobia has had two distinct meanings

1. Fear of men (either 'male' or 'human') with quotes from 1920 and 1960

2. "Fear or hatred of homosexuals and homosexuality" dating to 1969 (Time magazine), "such homophobia is based on understandable instincts among straight people, but it also involves innumerable misconceptions and oversimplifications". The 1975 example from the Globe and Mail (Toronto) is "There is no such thing as the homosexual problem any more than there is a black problem—the problems are racism and homophobia" and so directly equates racism and homophobia.

So 40 to 45 years and probably a bit longer since the 1969 reference doesn't treat the word as completely new.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

I'm intensely suspicious of any definition of "bigotry" that excludes Fred Phelps. Theology isn't a magic "Get Out Of Bigotry Free" card.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:

Would you prefer "bigotry" then? Or "apartheid supporter"? I'm trying to think of another single word that fits for people trying to deny rights to others based on who they are.

Homopobia is the word in common use in English.

quote:
As Creosus pointed out, this sort of non-sensical apologetics would excuse Fred Phelps. It doesn't matter that the bible is your excuse to ban inter-racial marriage. Doing so still makes you a racist. It doesn't matter that the bible is your source of approval for slavery - you are stil pro slavery. Likewise homophobia.

quote:
Caliing opponents of homosexual practice "homophobes" is like calling homosexuals
Stop right there. You're already starting with the anti-gay slurs by calling them "homosexuals" rather than people.

quote:
He spoke not at all about gay marriage or other such acts.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
According to the OED homophobia has had two distinct meanings

1. Fear of men (either 'male' or 'human') with quotes from 1920 and 1960

2. "Fear or hatred of homosexuals and homosexuality" dating to 1969 (Time magazine), "such homophobia is based on understandable instincts among straight people, but it also involves innumerable misconceptions and oversimplifications". The 1975 example from the Globe and Mail (Toronto) is "There is no such thing as the homosexual problem any more than there is a black problem—the problems are racism and homophobia" and so directly equates racism and homophobia.

So 40 to 45 years and probably a bit longer since the 1969 reference doesn't treat the word as completely new.

But the 1969 example does not equate with the modern meaning. It does appear as if the 1975 example could.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
You're already starting with the anti-gay slurs by calling them "homosexuals" rather than people.

Eh?

That's just silly. Calling people "people" completely fails to identify a particular subset of "people" to which you wish to refer. If I have to call all people "people" then everything I might say about "people" applies to all people on the entire planet.

As a homosexual, I simply cannot understand why you would object to talking about "homosexuals". What people SAY about "homosexuals" may well be completely erroneous, but that doesn't make it wrong to use "homosexuals" as a category. Heck, I'm quite sure I've made remarks about both "heterosexuals" and "homosexuals" because, you know, sometimes I'm trying to say something where sexual orientation is relevant.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Justinian, Croeos and others - would you say it is homophobic to believe that same-sex activity is wrong? Not wishing to ban it, or to treat people any differently based on who they choose to have sex with, but just believing it is not approved of by God.

I certainly think that treating people any differently because of the gender of who they sleep with constitutes homophobia, but what if you simply believe on a personal level that it's wrong? So you won't be doing it yourself, but you have no wish for those who do so to be in any way restricted or discriminated against.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

ADDENDUM: Saying that "homosexuals" is an anti-gay slur makes about as much sense as saying that "gay" is an anti-homosexual slur.

And in fact 'homosexuals' is actually the more inclusive term, seeing as how 'gays' would often be taken to mean only male homosexuals, not female ones.

Really, folks, there is quite enough in the world for us homosexuals to be outraged about without manufacturing new outrages out of thin air.

[ 28. June 2014, 14:52: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
ADDENDUM: Saying that "homosexuals" is an anti-gay slur makes about as much sense as saying that "gay" is an anti-homosexual slur.

And in fact 'homosexuals' is actually the more inclusive term, seeing as how 'gays' would often be taken to mean only male homosexuals, not female ones.

Really, folks, there is quite enough in the world for us homosexuals to be outraged about without manufacturing new outrages out of thin air.

That's certainly not one I've manufactured - but it comes up under two circumstances.

The first is when the word homosexual (or any other group term) is preceeded by the definite article. "The homosexuals" "The gays" "The blacks". Using such a term with the definite artice is inherently othering and is a problem.

English, however, makes a lot of things implicit and the normal procedure is to give the benefit of the doubt in any communication or it breaks down. Benefit of the doubt, however, changes in discussions where standard words in standards usage that have been standard words for longer than I have been alive are claimed to be slurs.

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Justinian, Croeos and others - would you say it is homophobic to believe that same-sex activity is wrong? Not wishing to ban it, or to treat people any differently based on who they choose to have sex with, but just believing it is not approved of by God.

Wrong as in incorrect or wrong as in bad?

Assuming you mean bad, intent isn't magic. As long as it's a purity code you apply to yourself and don't insist others follow then I'd say that having your heating on and your windows open (and thus wasting electricity/gas) is worse. As long as you stick there and don't let it affect how you see others.

Googling the term homophobia itself it does indeed appear to come from little before 1969.

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:

I certainly think that treating people any differently because of the gender of who they sleep with constitutes homophobia, but what if you simply believe on a personal level that it's wrong? So you won't be doing it yourself, but you have no wish for those who do so to be in any way restricted or discriminated against.

If a person doesn't act on a belief, since they're doing no harm, labeling it is academic. As most people do act on their beliefs, it's by the by.

This does illustrate the potency of authoritarianism. Clamp "because the Magisterium/Bible/Jesus said so" to a statement and many people act like they don't need to defend it further.

I'd draw no distinction between theological homophobia and the regular kind. All beliefs should be held to the same standards, and fall if evidence and reason don't support them.

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the 1969 example does not equate with the modern meaning. It does appear as if the 1975 example could.

Which is why I said 40 to 45 years. It would be interesting to have the fuller context in the Time story.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
That's certainly not one I've manufactured - but it comes up under two circumstances.

The first is when the word homosexual (or any other group term) is preceeded by the definite article. "The homosexuals" "The gays" "The blacks". Using such a term with the definite artice is inherently othering and is a problem.

Which isn't what Kaplan Corday did, so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

quote:
English, however, makes a lot of things implicit and the normal procedure is to give the benefit of the doubt in any communication or it breaks down. Benefit of the doubt, however, changes in discussions where standard words in standards usage that have been standard words for longer than I have been alive are claimed to be slurs.
And now I don't even know for sure which words you're talking about. Are we talking about 'homophobe'? I've already pointed out that the OED reference, with a 1969 example, says fear. The entire point is that people are now using 'homophobia' to mean something other than fear. People are now using 'homophobe' to simply mean 'anti-homosexual'.

And I don't even see how that was a second circumstance, and it just doesn't make sense. You're basically saying that because Kaplan Corday complained that use of a certain word was a slur, he MUST have been using a slur himself because hey, apparently you've decided he must be talking in bad faith.

It's precisely conversations like this that make me sympathetic towards someone like Kaplan Corday. The reaction he's getting is frankly quite embarrassing to me. If someone is complaining about homosexuals engaging in cheap verbal shots, you do not prove him wrong by engaging in cheap verbal shots. And cheap shots, it seems to me, are coming from a variety of sources.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few points about the extent to which evo opposition to same sex relationships is "traditional", I would say that before, say, the 1980s, these matters were barely thought about at all in evo circles. Rather, the casual homophobia of the background population pretty well permeated, not only the evangelical constituency, but, with honourable exceptions, the whole of the church. I became a Christian in 1969, and for twenty years not only did I not hear a sermon on the subject, but I never even heard it mentioned. So much so, that I assumed that the Pauline references to homoerotic activity were along the lines of "and don't let you homosexuals think you are exempt from the prohibitions on porneia which are binding on heterosexuals". In other words, I assumed that what the Bible forbade was not any particular expression of sexuality, but rather that all sexuality should be expressed in committed, loving relationships, rather than in orgies, riotous living, and prostitution. I suppose that background position has stayed with me, but I can well remember my astonishment when a church member made some comment about lesbianism in the presence of two highly respected members of the church who I had always assumed were in a gay relationship. Apparently, this idea had never entered the head of the person making the comment, and there was much raising of eyebrows and shrugging of shoulders between me and the two ladies concerned.

Anyway, my point is that until fairly recently, overt and focussed opposition was a matter of agnosticism rather than faith amongst most evos, certainly the ones I knew, and the circles in which I moved at the time were pretty conservative .

In a way, this is quite encouraging - the homophobia within the church is no more deeply rooted than it was within the background culture, in spite of the best efforts of those who have sought to stir up "culture wars" in order to mark out their territory. "Hey, we might all be getting divorced and selling out to the almighty (insert currency of choice), but at least were not like them lot over there. We'd never fall for that temptation! And whilst were on about it, I thank Thee that I was not born a woman..." [Disappointed] But what we learned yesterday, we can unlearn tomorrow, God willing.

And, of course, the advent of SSM makes it much more difficult to make those accusations of "porneia"-type casual sex being inherent in same-sex relationship patterns.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

I'm reminded of the man temporarily dubbed "The Most Racist Pastor In America".

quote:
Hybreeding, hybreeding, oh, how terrible, hybreeding. What white woman would want her baby to be mulatto, made by a colored man? Let’s stay the way God made us. I believe it’s right.
Pastor Reagan didn't express any desire to enforce his views via the law, yet I can't think of any way the descriptor "racist" doesn't apply. The same reasoning would seem to apply to homophobia. Hating others is less problematic if you're not trying to use the law to enforce your bigotry, but it's still hate.

For those arguing the semantics of the term "homophobia": Would you prefer to use the term "anti-gay bigotry"?

[ 28. June 2014, 17:27: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016