homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Streetview

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Streetview
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just cheered myself up doing a google street view drive around Islay. Going to Jura next. Great way to spend a pleasant half hour. Any favourite places for visiting?
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually just "streetviewed" the Luxe apartment building in Santa Monica where my daughter-in-law is currently staying. It's mere blocks away from the ocean, right up the street from the Santa Monica pier. I'm threatening to visit...

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IRL I was in Dublin in 2001 for two nights. I recently re-visited via Google street view, and found that I remembered my way around the few places I'd traveled on foot. Good to know I'm not the only one who does that! [Smile]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For this, GeoGuessr is your friend.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like memories. Driving down roads I've traveled, teasing out recollections and seeing if they still match.
And random places are relaxing, a free-form rambling down new roads I might like to see.
related tangent/There is a thread in the Circus which is bragging/ranting about GeoGuessr.com. This is a website which randomly* places you somewhere on the planet recorded by the Google street-view cameras. You receive point for how close your guess is to the actual location./related tangent

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all just reminded me. I am re-reading A Midwife's Tale and wanted to see what was left of the old town of Hartwell, ME.

[ETA: Hallowell, I mean. And I found the corner of Water St and Winthrop, which is the main drag in the area covered in the journal!)

[ 21. January 2014, 07:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
IRL I was in Dublin in 2001 for two nights. I recently re-visited via Google street view, and found that I remembered my way around the few places I'd traveled on foot. Good to know I'm not the only one who does that! [Smile]

No, you aren't. A while ago I revisited what used to be my grandmother's house in Dublin, which I haven't seen since the last century, and wandered down to my old school. That really was a trip down a memory lane.

(Doesn't half save on plane fares and hotel bills.)

[ 21. January 2014, 07:26: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I stayed in Portsmouth, I would take this long walk down King's Road to get to the harbor. When I came home, I would use street view to wander down that road again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I street viewed a part of Belfast where I lived as a child - and not only could I not find our old house, the very street had disappeared. All of it - cobbles, Victorian terrace, Mrs McDowell's shop with jars of sweeties and the bacon slicer with the fly papers hanging above it - all under some Lego-like medical centre.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a dream day where I ride a bicycle from Rochefort, Belgium, the home of my favorite Trappist brewery, through Soy, home of Brasserie Phantom, a small, single-owner operated farmhouse brewery known around the world, to Achouffe, home of Brasserie Chouffe, another wonderful Belgian brewery. I have definitely spent some time doing that ride by street view.

[ 21. January 2014, 16:18: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just done Colonsay by street view. Stunning, photographed in June. Pity that Oronsay is out of bounds to street viewers. No roads.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
Just done Colonsay by street view. Stunning, photographed in June. Pity that Oronsay is out of bounds to street viewers. No roads.

I presume you don't mean Colonsay, Saskatchewan?

The thistle and the maple leaf are friends. [Biased]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I street viewed a part of Belfast where I lived as a child - and not only could I not find our old house, the very street had disappeared. All of it - cobbles, Victorian terrace, Mrs McDowell's shop with jars of sweeties and the bacon slicer with the fly papers hanging above it - all under some Lego-like medical centre.

This seems particularly common in Belfast. There are places where there are even discrepancies between street view and satellite it's changing so quickly like

see below
and
see below

TLDR the housing density in Belfast and immediate suburbs is dropping and taking with it many Victorian terraces - maps from even 25 years ago are completely useless in many neighbourhoods. Only thing comparable that springs to mind in England is Burnley.

[Edited to eliminate scroll lock
jedijudy
Heaven Host]

[ 22. January 2014, 02:03: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry scuffleball, I'm not sure what point you're trying to illustrate here as both urls seem to be exactly the same.

May I recommend Tinyurl for lengthy urls? Keeps them neat and tidy and saves space.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you look at the location scuffleball posted (twice) on street view, you see a tarmac carpark-type area surrounded by a metal fence. On the satellite view, there's a whole terrace of houses where the carpark / empty space used to be.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Belfast more than forty years ago, I lived in the Stranmillis area. My daughter went there recently and photographed the house where we lived.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

This seems particularly common in Belfast. There are places where there are even discrepancies between street view and satellite it's changing so quickly like

this

and

this

TLDR the housing density in Belfast and immediate suburbs is dropping and taking with it many Victorian terraces - maps from even 25 years ago are completely useless in many neighbourhoods. Only thing comparable that springs to mind in England is Burnley.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scuffleball, Ariel offered you excellent advice regarding Tinyurl. I took the liberty of utilizing that website to shorten your links so they would not break the scroll lock, mostly because it was making me crazy!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:

There is a Google street view pedestrian - think man with backpack with cameras-on-a-stick.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm off to look at the Tardis.
[Smile]

I enjoy going through locations I've visited on holiday or visited...brings it all back. Sadly Lebanon, Georgia and Istanbul do not seem to have been photographed by our new digital overlords yet so its the Western Memory Tour for me for now.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016