homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » An Update

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: An Update
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, I'm Wood. I've had an account on the Ship of Fools forums in its various incarnations since 1999.

I haven't posted here for a long time, although I've been lurking, on and off. The last time I posted anything in any volume was in February 2011 when I started a thread based around my leaving of the evangelical Baptist church of which I had been a member for 16 years.

In the thread, I made reference to "joining the Anglicans."

I thought that those of you who remember me might like to know what happened next. So. This is what happened: we stayed there, in the local Anglican church, for almost two years. In that time, I healed, but at the same time my family found it hard to integrate. My eldest boy had only one other kid in Sunday school with him, and Mrs Wood found it hard to be in the sort of church where you could sit opposite someone in a pew for twenty years and not ever speak to them (me, I thought it was perfect because I never wanted to speak to anyone in a church ever again).

We were OK, basically. In January 2013, though, the issue that caused me to leave my previous church came up in the pulpit, although I had always thought it would not. And Mrs Wood's dissatisfaction came to a breaking point - she had been in a housegroup for more than six months and still had people asking her what she did for a living. She said, how about we try the church that she went to as a student (which, incidentally, is the church long-standing shipmate Chalky still is part of).

So we did. I was apprehensive to begin with, but the church welcomed us. I made it clear to the elders why I left my old baptist church and they were fine with it - there are actually gay people in the congregation who are welcomed and allowed to take full part.

More than that, it's made my faith grow again. My experience in the Anglican church was one of healing. It made me not want to avoid church, it helped me to sit quietly, to listen, to hear God. And this church now has made me part of the family. I wouldn't have been able to go there were it not for my time at the Anglican church. We made the right decisions, but we needed to find a home. And I think we have one.

They've even had me preaching. I never thought that would happen again.

In the last three years life has been sweet. I was appointed Artist in Residence at my alma mater; I have been published, been on stage, organised events, taught, and I'm writing a comic book now.

So... yeah. Life, eh?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey there, Woodrow! [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear you've found a spiritual home [Yipee]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that - hearing people's different journeys always intrigues me.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed you!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you mate. Glad things are going so very much better.

Do you intend to stick around a while?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Good to see you mate. Glad things are going so very much better.

Do you intend to stick around a while?

Oh, you never know.

--------------------
Narcissism.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Perks up]
Comic book, you say?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Good to see you mate.

Perhaps this needs a comma?

But more importantly... welcome back, Wood!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood - excellent to see you back, and glad that your journeying has lead you to a good place.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
[Perks up]
Comic book, you say?

Yeah. When my artist has finished Issue Zero, and we're in a place to preview it, I'll tell you more.

--------------------
Narcissism.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG WELCOME BACK HI

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

I just got back on board recently myself!!

Very intrigued about the comic too!

Welcome back!!!!!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Mr Wood. Nice to have to back, to have you back, nice, Sir! [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Angel]

This of course reminds me of:
quote:
You can't beat wood.

[ 10. September 2014, 18:06: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another very pleased Shipmate.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I was just saying that I've notched up a higher post count on the Ship than Wood has, which feels Wrong.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fabulous news
[Smile]

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please check out my comics thread in Heaven!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Please check out my comics thread in Heaven!

Er? I don't see no comics thread...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check again! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pleased to see you back and especially that you're happy now.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you again!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear your update, hope things work out well for you. Guess we're all on quite a journey through this thing called 'life'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to see you back, be it for a short or a long time! Your contributions were ever a highlight of my early years aboard this vessel [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Glad to see you back, be it for a short or a long time! Your contributions were ever a highlight of my early years aboard this vessel [Smile]

[Smile]

Although I suspect people are beginning to remember the reason for the "Wood gives you splinters" line that people used to wheel out at ship meets...

[ 16. September 2014, 16:38: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood who?

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

[Smile]

Although I suspect people are beginning to remember the reason for the "Wood gives you splinters" line that people used to wheel out at ship meets...

The My Word story: Splinter in the Arse, set in the Trojan horse.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood! It's so good to see you posting again!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016