homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What were the parents thinking?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What were the parents thinking?
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an amazing news story.

Two teenaged boys were arrested for beating a mentally disabled man. Here is an excerpt from the linked article telling how they came to be arrested.
quote:
The unidentified suspects were taken into custody after they showed up at New Castle County police headquarters to complain about being harassed when their contact information was posted to social media, along with a video of the assault, authorities said Monday.
They see it as a crime that they were harassed, but see nothing wrong with beating the man. [Ultra confused]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What were their parents thinking?"

Probably what they always thought each time they got called in to talk to the teacher/principal about their sons' behavior: someone's picking on their little darlings, and it's so unfair- the other guy stated it, and it's a parent's job to defend them. After all boys will be boys and why can't people understand that?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are being picked on.
Their right to bully has been infringed, it is political correctness gone mad.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nasty and thick as pigshit.

A winning combination.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
They see it as a crime that they were harassed, but see nothing wrong with beating the man. [Ultra confused]

Moo

I'm not sure the parents knew about the video. It looks to me like someone else posted the video online and the kids and their families started getting a lot of threats, which they reported to the police. In the course of investigating the threats the police came across the video.

In the first video someone yells "c'mon hit him back" to the victim. In both videos the bystanders do eventually intervene and tell the perpetrators to stop.

In Newark there's a chance that things like that happen to them in the hallways of their schools without teachers saying anything.

(That was pretty much standard high school fare when I was going to school. You spent most days hoping it wasn't your turn to get slammed. Not saying it's right - just that it takes time to change a culture of violence.)

[ 09. September 2014, 22:39: Message edited by: saysay ]

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

I'm not sure the parents knew about the video. It looks to me like someone else posted the video online and the kids and their families started getting a lot of threats, which they reported to the police. In the course of investigating the threats the police came across the video.

And when the haters started in on their sons about bullying and beating up a defenseless man, they didn't ask, "Hey! What are they talking about? What happened? Why is everyone calling you scum?"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The article did say the family was appalled and one of the boys has a developmental disorder Williams Syndrome which can lead to aggression although usually they are very sociable.. The boys certainly deserve a court date. However it's not clear that the parents knew anything but that the boys were getting threats from the internet.

The boys were odious. It seems the police acted correctly. It's not clear that parents did anything wrong and the syndrome probably gives them enough to handle through no fault of their own.

[ 10. September 2014, 02:25: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
And when the haters started in on their sons about bullying and beating up a defenseless man, they didn't ask, "Hey! What are they talking about? What happened? Why is everyone calling you scum?"

They don't roll with that in Newark. It was more likely to be "I'm gonna come to your house and break your hand/beat the shit out of you/ beat you to death/ kill you/ rape you."

And they'll do that without the slightest provocation, so it's not necessarily a question the parents' would have automatically asked. (Unless you'd like to argue that I brought those kinds of threats on myself by disagreeing with certain feminist ideas).

What I can't figure out is why they went to the New Castle County police - I wouldn't think they would even have jurisdiction given that Newark has its own police department. But I've never been able to figure jurisdiction in Delaware; I just know there's a class war and even the Newark cops frequently don't get along with the county cops.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The article did say the family was appalled and one of the boys has a developmental disorder Williams Syndrome which can lead to aggression although usually they are very sociable..

No, it's the VICTIM that has the developmental disorder and the appalled family.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

saysay:
quote:
(Unless you'd like to argue that I brought those kinds of threats on myself by disagreeing with certain feminist ideas).
[Confused]

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
saysay:
quote:
(Unless you'd like to argue that I brought those kinds of threats on myself by disagreeing with certain feminist ideas).
[Confused]
Sorry. It's just your assumption seemed to be that the perpetrators brought the threats on themselves with their behavior. I doubt the people who were calling, texting, emailing, or whatever else the perpetrators and their parents were being particularly clear about telling them what, exactly, they did that people disapproved of. IME that type just threatens, leaving you to wonder what you did and how serious the threats are.

This is Delaware. A state where a friend of mine was protesting Black Friday by wearing a t-shirt that said 'buy nothing day' and holding an empty jar in a mall wound up getting arrested for solicitation.

It's also a place where people will call the cops on teens hanging out in front of the public library claiming that they're harassing and threatening the library patrons because the wealthier members of the area don't know how to read working class and black behavior and body language. (The teens in this instance were not threatening anyone; they were simply taking a break from their studies and standing around talking - but some people apparently found having to walk past them without knowing what they might do and if they might attack them threatening).

I don't think what these kids did was right - in large part because of the whole consent issue and the fact that the disabled kid clearly asks to be left alone - but if you watch the video it's clear that they also play with each other in that kind of rough-and-tumble manner. It's also clear that - while a kid his age should know better than to kick a man while he's down - he's not stomping on him with his full power, which is what I expected from the descriptions before I had watched the video.

Again, all I can say is it's Delaware. It's a very confused and confusing place.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

saysay:
quote:
Sorry. It's just your assumption seemed to be that the perpetrators brought the threats on themselves with their behavior. I doubt the people who were calling, texting, emailing, or whatever else the perpetrators and their parents were being particularly clear about telling them what, exactly, they did that people disapproved of. IME that type just threatens, leaving you to wonder what you did and how serious the threats are.
Well, IMO the boys did bring the threats on by their behavior. (And beating up someone and getting harrassed is not the equivalent of a woman wearing whatever-is-disapproved-of and getting raped.) But I understand your point that their parents probably didn't necessarily get the gist of the event from the threats.

My comment was speculative on the parents' previous behavior, but as a person who has worked in education, children with problem behavior are often children of people who do not take their kids' bad behavior seriously but will fight tooth and nail against anyone who criticizes or tries to discipline them.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

To be clear: Going to the police to complain about threats to their kids is a good thing. Going to a school conference on a child's behavior and denying their kid deserves penalties for disruptive or violent behavior is a bad thing and tends to re-enforce bad behavior. And it isn't that uncommon.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
My comment was speculative on the parents' previous behavior, but as a person who has worked in education, children with problem behavior are often children of people who do not take their kids' bad behavior seriously but will fight tooth and nail against anyone who criticizes or tries to discipline them.

I've certainly seen that. But the demographics of the group (mixed race and gender), the way they're dressed, the fact that they're allowed to roam freely during their summer days, and the fact that they're public school kids in an area where the vast majority of middle-class white people send their kids to private schools suggests to me that this is not the case.

Given that it's a group, I'm sure there's some variety. But for the most part public school teachers in that area don't hold parent-teacher conferences. I know of one father who had to beg the school to allow him to shadow his ADD-son for a day to see if he could spot the source of some of the problems and suggest appropriate solutions and discipline (time-outs don't work for everyone for every behavior).

And of course neither of us really knows.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

True.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016