homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tom Magliozzi of "Car Talk", RIP

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Tom Magliozzi of "Car Talk", RIP
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Magliozzi, co-host of NPR's raucous, instructive, and much-beloved "Car Talk" has died.

I've gotten so much joy, bad-joke groans, and easing of stress from that show, over the years. Fortunately, they're going to keep running archived shows.

[Votive]

[ 03. November 2014, 21:33: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was so sad to hear the news on NPR this afternoon. [Frown]
Daughter-Unit just called me and was shocked and saddened, too.

Rest in Peace, Tommy. You've brightened many hours for a great multitude of people.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sorry to read of this. On the long drives to Florida from Ottawa, he and his brother greatly entertained my mother and me. His joy and exuberance in helping others, while informing and educating the ignorant such as myself, were a delight. May he be entertaining Saint Peter with carburetor noises! [Votive]
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever heard two people who enjoyed what they did for a living as much as those two did.

R.I.P., Tom, and deepest sympathy to Ray.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made my father into an NPR listener many years ago, in part by describing Car Talk jokes.

He'd often begin a story at the dinner table: "I was listening to the boys today..." That the boys were Tom and Ray was understood.

RIP, Tom.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom's death was due to complications from Alzheimer's. Here's a "free click to donate" site for Alzheimer's research.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Tom's death was due to complications from Alzheimer's. Here's a "free click to donate" site for Alzheimer's research.

Ray apparently asked for memorial donations to one's local PBS station. I'm sure either would be appreciated.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

From what I saw on the Car Talk site, it's suggested that people donate either to Alzheimer's research or to NPR.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
From what I saw on the Car Talk site, it's suggested that people donate either to Alzheimer's research or to NPR.

Oops! I meant NPR, not PBS.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in Cambridge and friends of mine used the garage they ran.
I once went by their offices at one car talk plaza. It was in an old building in Harvard Square. On the door was a copy of letter they had sent a listener. It apologized for the t-shirt he had ordered having fingerprints in ink on the shirt and they were sending a replacement along with some other items. They emphasized that they had no idea how the fingerprints had gotten on the shirt.

The letter was covered with inky fingerprints.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I've just spent the past 47 minutes listening to a special "Fresh Air" episode about Tom and Ray. I'm in tears -- partly from laughing and partly from loss.

[ 06. November 2014, 03:05: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
I made my father into an NPR listener many years ago, in part by describing Car Talk jokes.

Someone--maybe producer Doug Berman?--remarked on NPR that Car Talk was "the gateway drug for getting people hooked on NPR".
[Cool]

Oh, and the "Fresh Air" interview that Pigwidgeon mentioned is really good.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ray is hosting a tribute broadcast, with great clips from his brother. I'm listening right now. I presume you'll be able to listen later online at either NPR.org or Cartalk.com.

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just listened to the tribute broadcast by Ray this morning. It was wonderful - funny, yet also touching to remember all of the laughter those two gentlemen brought to me and other listeners over the years. I'm so grateful to them! May Tom rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was laughing and crying at the same time. We know who he got his laugh from!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

From their mom? I got confused during that one bit with her, because I couldn't tell whether the laugh was hers or Tommy's. [Smile]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So glad that the NPR programming department is keeping this program on the air. It is still relevant and so funny.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016