homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Keep awake..."

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: "Keep awake..."
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that's puzzling me about this week's Gospel passage, the parable of the wise and foolish bridesmaids/virgins. Jesus in verse 13 draws the conclusion that His disciples should "keep awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour." But keeping awake and not keeping awake wasn't the difference between the wise and the foolish bridesmaids: they all fell asleep. The apparent problem was that the foolish bridesmaids didn't have enough oil: but Jesus' "keep awake" doesn't seem to relate to this - at least not directly.

(And I've linked to three different translations there because none of them put Jesus' words in any sense that seem to relate them more directly to the apparent "take away" from this parable. They all translate it in some sense of "keeping watch" - which, again, is something none of the bridesmaids did).

Most of the commentaries I've read either overlook this or handwave it by suggesting Jesus meant something more general than "keep awake" - but then, why didn't Jesus say this? The only comment I've seen that comes close to addressing this is one of the "below the line" comments on this commentary (the comment by Barbara Wilson), who suggests that the foolish bridesmaids were foolish, not (just) for not having enough oil, but for worrying about that when the bridegroom came and not focussing on what they were supposed to do: to go and meet the bridegroom, even if they didn't have enough oil. In this sense, "keeping awake" means focussing on what's important: playing one's role (in this case by greeting and accompanying the bridegroom; this interpretation assumes, however, that not having a functioning torch/lamp was of less importance that not being there with the bridegroom - is this plausible?). This might suggest that what's really at stake is not "do I have enough oil", whatever "oil" might stand for here, but "am I focussing on the bridegroom", ie Jesus? Am I concerned most about Jesus, or am I fussing about stuff that doesn't really matter?

So, I guess my question is, am I missing something, or getting too worked up about an apparent discrepancy that I should read more widely? Or is the usual interpretation of this (that we need to be prepared like the wise virgins were and the foolish virgins weren't with respect to the amount of oil they had) a bit off-track.

Can any shippies help - I'm sure you can!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In context with the previous chapter, I see it as another attempt to impress upon all who would listen the importance of constant vigilance, to be ready for the second coming, and to be aware of the danger of complacency.

Although the wise virgins slept, they were prepared for the hour, their lamps were bright, while those of the foolish virgins were going out.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although all the virgins fell asleep (v.15), it's not actually the issue of sleep that Jesus refers to at the end of the passage, there it's about staying alert (along the lines Raptor Eye referred to). Although of course one has to be awake in order to stay alert, Matthew is using two different verbs here. The 'staying alert' aspect would refer back to the awareness that some planning ahead was needed by those virgins who took extra oil. Those who didn't were not being alert.
Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we are worried about the "second coming" we miss out on the myriad ways the bridegroom is already here. Keeping alert means to be aware of the presence of God in the here and now.

I have experienced Jesus in so many ways. Going to the story of when the sheep are divided from the goats, the sheep are told "I was hungry, and you fed me." I was a stranger and you welcomed me." etc. The sheep ask when did this happen. The master says, whenever you have done it to the least of these my brothers (and sisters) you have done it unto me.

There is also the sacramental presence of Jesus. Jesus comes in the fellowship of the believers--whenever two or three are gathered in my name, I am there with them.

Ours is not a religion of escapism, It is a religion of the present.

I am not so much worried in some "second coming" as that I am more concerned about how the bridegroom is already here.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the replies - those explanations really help (and Nigel's reply makes me wish - again! - we'd been taught NT Greek at college - for some reason it was never part of the training). Seeing it as alertness at all times - especially before the moment, whatever that moment might be, comes upon us - is very helpful and, I think, helps tie this in with Remembrance Sunday tomorrow.

Gramps49: part of me's thinking along similar lines to you (especially when I read commentators such as N T Wright, who maintain this isn't about the Second Coming at all, but about Jesus' death and resurrection and, ultimately, the fall of Jerusalem). When does Jesus call us now, what do we need to be alert for as followers of Christ now, what are the ways in which we can be asleep/un-alert to where Jesus is now in the world?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
N.T.Wright's approach does seem to unlock this parable, especially with the concerns you've raised, IMHO.

The context is Jesus' announcement of the coming kingdom. Jesus is urging his followers to be ready for the coming judgement. Those who continue to do Torah to follow God run out of light; those who see Jesus as the next stage will keep the light burning for the bridegroom.

The staying awake thing is probably more of a “wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late” call.

There are any number of similar examples in the gospels- trees not bearing good fruit, weeds gathered to be burned, those who refused wedding invitations not going to the party...

The key point, which has been mentioned already, is the 'now but not yet' nature of the Kingdom. The parable is a choice of the here and now. We have to act as God's people now if we want to be God's people in future.

[ 10. November 2014, 22:05: Message edited by: Sarah G ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they were all saved would it be extra virgin oil?

.. I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you mean "Oil get me coat".

[ 11. November 2014, 20:04: Message edited by: Sarah G ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016