homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Megachurch With a Beat" (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Megachurch With a Beat"
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So after their front page story on Mars Hill a few weeks ago, it seems the New York Times has caught the evangelical bug. Big story about Hillsong's expansion into the United States yesterday.

quote:
The Hillsong empire might appear to be a musical powerhouse first and a church second. It is, after all, a multimillion-dollar enterprise, drawing large crowds to arena concert performances; one of its bands, Hillsong United, is even the subject of a documentary scheduled for release by Warner Bros. next year.

Its songs, with a folk rock sound and simple, accessible lyrics, pervade the Christian charts and have transformed the Christian songbook.

“They are without a doubt the most influential producers of worship music in Christendom,” said Fred Markert, a Colorado-based leader of Youth With a Mission, a Christian organization. And Ed Stetzer, the executive director of LifeWay Research, an organization based in Nashville that studies practices in American Christianity, declared in an analysis of Hillsong, “In sensory stimulation, Hillsong’s productions rival any other contemporary form of entertainment.”

But its critics, and there are many, deride Hillsong as hipster Christianity, suggesting that its theology is thin, its enthusiasm for celebrities (Justin Bieber is among its fans) unbecoming, its politics (opposition to abortion and a murky position on homosexuality) opaque.

I think the article captures quite well why I find myself on the fence with Hillsong. They're very much in my charismatic evangelical lane, and I admit to loving their music ("Oceans" has been on repeat for the past month or so). But I'm not sure how strong their theology really is, and how much of the church is a hype machine for the record label versus people really being taught what it means to be a Christian.

So - when do we need to start taking Hillsong seriously as a church (or perhaps we already should have)?

[ 10. September 2014, 14:21: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
I think the article captures quite well why I find myself on the fence with Hillsong. They're very much in my charismatic evangelical lane, and I admit to loving their music ("Oceans" has been on repeat for the past month or so). But I'm not sure how strong their theology really is, and how much of the church is a hype machine for the record label versus people really being taught what it means to be a Christian.

I think their theology is in general very weak - it is also not consistent, which means it isn't always uniformly weak. They lean heavily in a prosperity theology direction whilst also borrowing from the more managerial bits of Willow Creek. Finally, in Aus at least there are crossovers between people involved in their movement and various reactionary political parties.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the thing that bugs me about their music is that they have this thing where they take a line from a Psalm and a line from another bit of the Bible willy nilly and it's almost as if the songs are William Burroughs style cut ups of the Bible, decontextualised near-random selections from scripture pasted together.

It's about as postmodern as Christian expression gets (although they'd go mad denying that).

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
Finally, in Aus at least there are crossovers between people involved in their movement and various reactionary political parties.

Every Australian evangelical I have ever met has been scary right wing. Like, just as much as the American ones I've met.

--------------------
Narcissism.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Finally, in Aus at least there are crossovers between people involved in their movement and various reactionary political parties.

Every Australian evangelical I have ever met has been scary right wing. Like, just as much as the American ones I've met.
Sorry to have frightened you. Boo!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally dislike their worship songs as being too much 'Jesus is my Boyfriend' in content; Darlene Zschech (sp?) is a particular offender IMO.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So - when do we need to start taking Hillsong seriously as a church (or perhaps we already should have)?

2nd attempt (accidentally lost this first time round)

There can be a temptation to adopt an 'older brother' (as in the parable of the prodigal) attitude to churches that are new or do things slightly differently. This can lead to some criticism being rather haughty in nature and rather lacking in grace, which is rarely good for ecumenism.

That's not to say there shouldn't be some eyebrows raised or questions asked.

I've not yet been to Hillsong, but I know a few who were part of one of the many teams that help it to operate as well as several who go there once every couple of months as a sort of 'day out'. What I glean from them is that it is very 'non-local' drawing people in from far and wide and scattering them back out again, with little sustained local footprint.

There was a similar article in the evangelical alliance magazine which raises some questions about a generational split.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Shout to the Lord. Wouldn't want to sing it every Sunday but I like it as far as praise music goes. What is Hillsong going to offer that a thousand other megachurches aren't already offering? American megachurches already use some Hillsong music.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

This is going to have to stay off "bitching about church music" if it is to stay out of Dead Horses.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
What is Hillsong going to offer that a thousand other megachurches aren't already offering? American megachurches already use some Hillsong music.

Two things from what I can tell:

1) leaders, music, venues that attract young people

2) an urban rather than suburban focus

A lot of the big megachurches in the US target wealthy middle-aged white suburbia, to put it bluntly.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young people already attend megachurches. How is the same style of worship and preaching going to attract a different sort of people? I'm not opposed to Billabong per se. I just question how much US Christianity is in need of more megachurches.

--------------------

Highfive
Shipmate
# 12937

- Posted      Profile for Highfive   Author's homepage   Email Highfive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The exceptionally-talented Australian singer Sarah Blasko has an interesting mention of Hillsong Church in her Wikipedia page.
Posts: 111 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
What is Hillsong going to offer that a thousand other megachurches aren't already offering? American megachurches already use some Hillsong music.

Two things from what I can tell:

1) leaders, music, venues that attract young people

2) an urban rather than suburban focus

A lot of the big megachurches in the US target wealthy middle-aged white suburbia, to put it bluntly.

I am not sure that Hillsong is necessarily that different in that respect.

It is very much a church "brand". It comes across as appealing to people who are secure financially, professional and white, which tbh is a big chunk of churchdom, so that probably doesn't say much.

--------------------
Narcissism.

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Young people already attend megachurches. How is the same style of worship and preaching going to attract a different sort of people? I'm not opposed to Billabong per se. I just question how much US Christianity is in need of more megachurches.

It's not in need of any more, but you have a generation of young Christians who grew up listening to Hillsong music and want to be a part of that, for whatever reason. There are two American women quoted in the NY Times article who went to the Hillsong "seminary" and have come back to support expansion in LA.

Also the fact that it seems non-denominational (although technically AoG) helps. A lot of young Christians have been burned by the Moral Majority-type evangelical movements of the 1980s and 1990s. Hillsong doesn't have that taint in the US.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess would be is that they're going where the money is and the money for this sort of thing can be found in the USA.

It'd also be a lot easier for them to grow their brand there than it would be in Outer Mongolia, Albania, Hungary, Ouagadougou and a hundred and one other places one could mention.

It's down to economics. The US has lots of young people already involved with megachurches who would willingly change brands whenever offered the opportunity.

They'll be preaching to the converted to a large extent.

That might sound ageist, cynical and elder brotherly but tough ... the whole Hillsong thing sucks.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the original OP by seekingsister:-
quote:

That's key, isn't it?

You can't answer the question without having an idea of what actually constitutes (a) church. There are very different opinions on that.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok - I know it's old news but there was that business back in 2008 about one of the Hillsongs leaders lying about having had cancer - and then claiming he'd been healed of it.

There have also been questions about some of the financial aspects.

Quite apart for the dire music of Darlene Dreck or whatever she's called and the lack of consistent theology - or should that be the lack of theology? - Hillsongs is one of those places I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Sorry. It looks all bright and shiny but underneath ...

http://hillsong.hubpages.com/hub/hillsongchurch

[Help] [Paranoid]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Cheshire needs a Hillsong.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does there need to be consistent theology in a church, Gamaliel? [Two face] Isn't it far more important for there to be consistently Christlike character among a church's members?

Thinking a bit more, I wonder if inconsistent theology in a church is actually a positive thing (up to a point!) - because it shows unity in diversity, rather than conformity to external 'boundary markers'.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Why does there need to be consistent theology in a church, Gamaliel? [Two face] Isn't it far more important for there to be consistently Christlike character among a church's members?

Thinking a bit more, I wonder if inconsistent theology in a church is actually a positive thing (up to a point!) - because it shows unity in diversity, rather than conformity to external 'boundary markers'.

Hmmm, wouldn't the CoE come under that?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
greenhouse
Shipmate
# 4027

- Posted      Profile for greenhouse   Email greenhouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
My guess would be is that they're going where the money is and the money for this sort of thing can be found in the USA.

They have previously planted churches in Ukraine and South Africa - hardly the wealthiest countries in the world.
Posts: 94 | From: North West | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cheshire needs a Hillsong.

Why Cheshire? And what is so significant about Cheshire for it to be singled out in this way?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
- read Gamaliel's location!

Though I believe BA left out the "...like a hole in the head" bit.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greenhouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

They have previously planted churches in Ukraine and South Africa - hardly the wealthiest countries in the world.
I suppose they're going where they think their work is most likely to be successful. This generally means going where other successful churches of a similar type have been, whether that's Los Angeles, London, Ukraine, or wherever.

I don't know about Hillsong, but to be fair to them, most churches of whatever sort usually develop a strategic focus on particular areas, and few churches will remain in a district that yields insufficient fruit, whether that's in attenders, converts or income. Even the CofE closes churches in some places, and in others it finds it hard to attract clergy. Why would other denominations have it any different?

To those who have, more will be given.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Really? YOu need to get out more. Seriously I'd say that element is a very small minority of Australian Evangelicalism. Of course our defintions of Evangelical might differ, I'd tend to put Hillsong outside that camp because they play very fast and loose with the bible They're extremely Evangelistic but in Sydney, they are deemed to be on the charo/Pentecostal spectrum and definitely not kocher to "real" Evangelicals like those who hang around Moore Theological College. Most of those are not particularly political and support the separation of church and state because they fear political interference in the church.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
quote:
quote:

Really? YOu need to get out more.
I think it's more that a) I'm in the UK so my sample is tiny and skewed towards people who can afford to come to the UK for any length of time and b) Australian politics are somewhat to the right of the UK anyway.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

(also, pretty much everyone I know is politically to the right of me)

--------------------
Narcissism.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Wood, but I still haven't come across any Australians who are as right-wing as the American right wing Christian brigade. Socially conservative and capitalistic yeah, I can accept that but not bat-shit crazy.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:

I don't see how this is achieved without a framework. Just saying "Jesus" and "love" a bunch of time and having awesome music isn't really enough.

The fact that Hillsong does focus on prosperity - when I was looking at joining a church in London I came across them but was put off by the fact that they were running more courses on financial success and career achievement than Bible studies - makes me question if the "Christlike" character they are aiming to achieve is actually based on the Jesus in the Bible.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Perhaps Wood, but I still haven't come across any Australians who are as right-wing as the American right wing Christian brigade. Socially conservative and capitalistic yeah, I can accept that but not bat-shit crazy.

I'll grant you, none of the half dozen or so I met were really what you'd call mentalists.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The really naughty thing about Hillsongs (who are not alone in this) is that they stage their services on Friday evenings; this means they can siphon off people from other churches whilst giving those people the impression they are not being disloyal to their original church, even though they are likely to get sucked in timewise and financially.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The fact that Hillsong does focus on prosperity - when I was looking at joining a church in London I came across them but was put off by the fact that they were running more courses on financial success and career achievement than Bible studies

Having attended Hillsongs in London a few times years ago, giving, and the pre-offering talks were definitely a fairly big part of the service.

Both from my own experiences and that of a friend who met his wife there and who attended there for a number of years I'd make the following additional observations:

- The branch in London definitely depends on expat Australians/OEers for their numbers - plus it tends to be very young, with older people either going back to Australia or eventually leaving for other churches.

- Yes they do talk about money and success and influence a lot.

- They used to have a regular spot in the service where they'd highlight someone working behind the scenes (which was generally good overall), but then often this person would have 'won' a trip to Hillsongs HQ as a result and then they would highlight that (which was somewhat less good).

- There was a definite tendency to push the most attractive members of the worship team to the forefront - and conversely push the less attractive members to the background.

I'll just link this here because it is appropriate to the subject in question:

http://markmeynell.wordpress.com/2007/11/29/the-cruelties-of-the-prosperity-gospel-a-very-modern-heresy/

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Unfortunately, BA, the Hillsongs songs have reached Cheshire ...

[Frown]

A Pentecostal guy who attends our local parish started introducing them on a backing track during the services and we were all expected to sing-along with them karaoke style. Fortunately, to my relief, the vicar soon put a stop to it.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Both from my own experiences and that of a friend who met his wife there

This is probably another important part of its attraction - the number young people meaning opportunities to find a partner. If I had been single when church-shopping I might have been more inclined to give them a chance.

I just looked at their website in London and in addition to the Surrey and Kent branches they've just launched one in Oxford. So I guess they are trying to keep hold of the young people who couple up and move to the suburbs.

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
This is probably another important part of its attraction - the number young people meaning opportunities to find a partner. If I had been single when church-shopping I might have been more inclined to give them a chance.

This is true of all the large churches in London though and not specific to Hillsongs. There are large numbers of young singles at All Souls, St Marys, HTB, KT etc (and even ostensibly more traditional churches like Metropolitan Tabernacle).

Hence jokes about HTB standing for 'Hunt The Bride'.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Hmmm, wouldn't the CoE come under that?
That's quite a good point. If we want to go and look for areas to disagree with and criticise a church, then one could turn equally a critical eye to the CofE as they could to the Baptist Union, the Methodist Church or any host of smaller church groups.

For example, take Eutychus' critique that they could siphon off worshippers from elsewhere. Well, the CofE do that too. Sometimes I pop along to a church that does a lunchtime service near my office. That happens once a week; there's another that has daily services. Are they trying to suck me from my local congregation or are they providing worshippers with additional time and a place to engage in corporate worship? Unless it is a stated aim from one church to 'pinch' other people, then I would posit that your answer to that question in relation to Hillsong must be the same as the answer to the CofE (or any other church that puts on non-Sunday services).

While I would echo the others in expressing concern over the emphasis on money, are they perhaps simply more open about it than others. While the prosperity gospel may not be preached by many Anglicans,
the CofE is not exactly the poorest church around.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I don't see anyone here reserving their criticism for outfits like Hillsongs and letting the CofE and other historic churches off the hook ...

[Confused]

If you want me to criticise the CofE, I'll criticise the CofE.

I'm like James Dean in 'Rebel Without A Cause':

"What are you against?"
"What have you got?"

The subject of this thread is Hillsongs. So I'm having a go at Hillsongs.

This is the Magazine of Christian Unrest not the Magazine of Letting Churches Off The Hook Because We Happen To Agree With Some Aspect Or Other Of How They Operate ...

There are equal and opposite issues with the CofE, the Methodists and whoever else ...

To say that there are issues with Hillsongs isn't to say that there aren't issues anywhere else - they're just different kinds of issues.

The CofE, I'm sure, would love to have some of the issues that Hillsongs have.

But I can only speak as I find and I find that the music is largely bilge the presentation is so glitzy and appalling and the whole ethos of the thing makes me barf.

Also, there's little direct comparison between, say, an old Wren church in the City of London laying on lunchtime communion services for City workers and a whopping big Friday night bells-and-whistles megachurch bash designed to draw in young singles and so on ...

And yes, the CofE has a lot of assets - but it doesn't enshrine dubious prosperity and 'success' teachings into its core values in the way that Hillsongs do.

[Mad] [Disappointed]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact that Hillsong does focus on prosperity - when I was looking at joining a church in London I came across them but was put off by the fact that they were running more courses on financial success and career achievement than Bible studies - makes me question if the "Christlike" character they are aiming to achieve is actually based on the Jesus in the Bible.

I was just making a general point, not specifically defending Hillsong - for all I know, they may well be horrendously heretical in terms of their theology and / or way off beam in their conception of Jesus.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:

Well, the CofE do that too. Sometimes I pop along to a church that does a lunchtime service near my office. That happens once a week; there's another that has daily services. Are they trying to suck me from my local congregation or are they providing worshippers with additional time and a place to engage in corporate worship?

Obviously the CofE could do exactly the same thing - however, having attended midweek/lunchtime services and talked to people who organise these, quite often they see it as part of the duty of a 'national' church providing christian witness to everyone. At the evangelical end there would be an emphasis on not making those meetings a substitute for church and a similar emphasis on getting involved in a local church where you lived (and quite often they'd mention churches nearby if you hadn't found one yet). I have no doubt that at least some churches saw this is a method of transferring at least some people from midweek to Sunday attendees, but this didn't seem to be so much the focus.

Whereas the emphasis of Hillsongs *was* on trying to get you involved with Hillsongs, via pushing you to get involved in your local Hillsongs homegroup. Similarly with KT.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately, we're all free to 'barf' at churches we don't attend. Perhaps it's one of the unintended benefits of belonging to such a highly diverse religion!

Regarding the prosperity doctrine focus, I have Pentecostal relatives who seem to have been influenced by it, but I fail to understand why it would appeal to educated middle class singles (Hillsong's target group?) who are already destined to do well in life. What do they gain that a nice upbringing and an excellent education hasn't already given them? (Mind you, these attributes are no guarantee of a good job and a pension these days. And disillusioned young people are unlikely to make the best churchgoers....)

Plenty of Christians appear to feel quite comfortable about earning a good salary and living an agreeable lifestyle. It's not something they think they have to justify with a fully fledged 'doctrine'.

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

Regarding the prosperity doctrine focus, I have Pentecostal relatives who seem to have been influenced by it, but I fail to understand why it would appeal to educated middle class singles (Hillsong's target group?) who are already destined to do well in life.

I presume you are contrasting people who are struggling in society - so it's worth mentioning that in the US at least, both groups are targets for the Prosperity gospel.

In terms of the latter group, it's mostly a case of baptising trends that are evident in society anyway and wrapping these things in a language that both justifies and imbues cultural trends with the message of eternal significance, thus making people feel like they are part of something bigger than themselves.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

chris stiles

It's not that they're struggling, but that they're upwardly mobile in a developing country where many people are poor. The alternatives to success are all around them in a way that's not obvious to young professionals worshipping in megachurches in London or Oxford.

I have heard about the widespread infiltration of prosperity doctrines in the USA, but I admit I find it an awkward fit for white, middle class, professional Britain. This is not least because talking about wanting money or being blessed by wealth is traditionally a no-no among well-bred folk here! Whatever happened to that idea? Times change.

Maybe the message from Hillsong is that, despite the disapproval of more sophisticated Christians, churches gain a degree of popular success when they respond to felt needs. The privatisation of religious faith and the growth of new denominations have perhaps made this more obvious. You go to a church that 'meets your needs', which may involve finding a spouse, improving your career prospects, or being made to feel less guilty about being rich, etc. Going to a specific church so your child can attend a specific school is a similar thing: you're looking out for your own family.

Churches are likely to become more and more focused on meeting the felt needs of particular groups in order to survive.

[ 12. September 2014, 13:17: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:

Churches are likely to become more and more focused on meeting the felt needs of particular groups in order to survive.

Yes, telling people what they want to hear is popular everywhere. Generally it isn't the Gospel though.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Maybe so, but the Gospel tends to be promoted by institutions that need a decent supply of both people and money to survive. I'd say that the costliness of our church structures is inevitably going to undermine the message that we claim to preach. But perhaps that's a subject for another thread.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Having been involved with a church where 'prosperity gospel' style teaching did gain something of a foothold, I can say that it doesn't happen very easily in a more middle-class UK context ...

Our church was fairly mixed in terms of demographic - with the more prosperity flavoured stuff coming from those with a more Pentecostally and working-class background ...

What happens is that the more polite, middle-class types resist it for as long as they can but they are eventually won over by other aspects they do agree with ... and so end up taking it on board almost despite themselves.

Or else they get fed up of protesting about it and leave.

--------------------

Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the appeal of the Prosperity junk is it's gnosticism: if you embrace it you are one of God's special favourites not one of the hoi palloi.
As far as the spangelly Cape Town franchise is concerned - it didn't look like a particularly "township" church when we drove past a few years back if you catch my drift.
How do they relate to other AoG churches and KT etc?

(edditted foor speeling)

[ 12. September 2014, 14:31: Message edited by: Twangist ]

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Maybe so, but the Gospel tends to be promoted by institutions that need a decent supply of both people and money to survive. I'd say that the costliness of our church structures is inevitably going to undermine the message that we claim to preach. But perhaps that's a subject for another thread.

Going back to your previous post - part of the reason the Prosperity Gospel survives at Hillsongs London is because a large amount of their congregation is expats (please read the thread).

It's also perfectly possible to have enough resources to survive as a movement without resorting to the Prosperity Gospel.

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
I have heard about the widespread infiltration of prosperity doctrines in the USA, but I admit I find it an awkward fit for white, middle class, professional Britain.

From what I have seen of Hillsong London, it's not that white and has a lot of students - particularly international students. So you have different cultures and young people who while they may be in university themselves are not necessarily from well-off backgrounds. Aspirational Christianity might speak quite directly to their needs actually.
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

To go back to Hillsong USA for a moment, another thing I've noticed is the coziness with celebrities.

I've attended some HTB events where there were celebrities - as in people anyone with a TV licence would recognize - and we were told specifically not to take pictures with them, bother them, or treat them in anyway like any other Christian.

Hillsong USA on the other hand makes a huge deal about celebrities. In recent weeks I've seen Kevin Durant (NBA basketball 2014 MVP) and Ja Rule (rapper who had a lot of hits in the late 1990s/early 2000s) talking up Pastor Carl Lentz in NYC. There are a few teeny bopper actresses and several other athletes who are also reportedly members.

Something about the way that they make a big song and dance about the famous people who come through rubs me the wrong way. Especially as a good number of them are not even based in New York, so how active can they actually be in the church?

Add to this the fact that several - Bieber and Durant - are known to live lifestyles not exactly consistent with the Christian life*, and it makes me wonder whether discipleship and fellowship is really the basis of the senior staff's relationship with these celebs.

* Kevin Durant and Fiance Split over Religious Differences

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

To be fair, that's always an issue with celebs irrespective of style of church or churchmanship ...

Even the RCs and the Orthodox aren't beyond playing the celebrity card at times and it can bite them on the backside too ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016