homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Does spiritual direction via computer communication exist?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Does spiritual direction via computer communication exist?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this done? Has anyone any experience with it? I'm considering re-engaging in SD, but live in an area of the world where we are sparse in population with few resources and even fewer Anglicans. I would think via something like Skype and internet chatting it could be workable. Anyone know anything about this, if exists. Are there standards for how to do it when the parties have never met face-to-face, obviously from different dioceses let alone from different national churches?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of someone who is a Spiritual Director, based in Saskatoon but is prepared to use Skype.

PM me if you want to know more.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought spiritual direction via skype could work well. I think you'd lose something if you didn't have video link, though. My experience is that it's very hard to comfortably have silence in a telephone conversation (as you can't read what might be happening during the silence visually), and silence is an important part of a good direction conversation (at least, for me).

Are you set on an Anglican director? The Archbishop of Canterbury sees a Roman Catholic.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have personal experience of it, but I know it exists. And also what Hart says - an Anglican can have a RC spiritual director and vice versa.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main issues for me are not to see someone who is too close a connection. Most of the time it seems to be someone who knows someone who knows me. Too close for comfort: rather not have someone I will see on a committee for diocese or province. RC or Lutheran can be fine. I'm a lay person but have a history of lots of involvement at various levels.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We practice it in remote East Gippsland, Victoria, Australia. I use skype with my directees.
How else do far away folk cope otherwise?
When I arrived here, five years ago, and asked for suggestions of who I should see, the powers that be gave me names in our capital city, four hours away.
Thank goodness things have improved recently.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to direct someone long-distance via email and the occasional phone call.

Because of the delay between being told stuff and my answering, I spent a lot of time trying to read between the lines before answering.

So I reckoned the directee got a better quality of direction.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the last year, I've been seeing my spiritual director via Skype. In my case, it is a continuation of a relationship that started face to face. Whilst I've found this works well enough, it does lack something compared to being in the same room.

For me, it was because I had relocated for a year's internship as part of a discernment journey, and I felt it was important to have the continuity of direction with the disadvantages, rather than try and establish a new relationship for a short period of time.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016