homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Writing in Tongues

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Writing in Tongues
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a place with two literary languages - English and Scots. Hamish Henderson's Freedom Come All Ye was sung at the opening ceremony of The Commonwealth Games - as this translation shows a lot of the power of the poem inheres in the Scots words. Scots is still in vigorous use - as witness this poem published a few weeks ago.

Scots, of course, is just the one I know about - there are a great many other dialects and stuff written in them. Possibly they leak into the mainstream more through music - like the Jamaican patois of No Woman No Cry.

As a writer, the dialect words you grew up with are always the 'real' words in a way that cannot be displaced. What do you think? Do you have another tongue which says things that cannot ever be quite translated?

[ 26. July 2014, 21:02: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother is from Yorkshire, though she hasn't a strong accent now. I've always felt an affinity for the dialect - and there are few words in my core vocabulary that I only realise are non-standard if I read a dialect dictionary.

This is a nice example, of switching in and out: Patrick Stewart

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all writers use the words that they grow up with. Most dialect words don't properly translate, because they have a feel that is distinct.

I write prose, but I suspect that for poetry, the cadence and rhythm of the words is far more important, so the sound and feel of the words that you grow up with, or you hear around you. They reflect more than just the meaning, they reflect the context.

So for me a jitty, ginnel, alley or cut-through all mean the same thing (a pedestrian only route between houses). But choosing the right word for a situation is important, because they are not interchangeable. They can all refer to the same place, but they all reflect the person or the people who are addressing the particular feature.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a lot of dialect and period-speak in my novels, and it is a constant challenge. It does not help that in some periods no one ever wrote down slang or profanity (the women and children might have their morals corrupted, after all!). In the good old days I would go through a Partridge's Dictionary of Period Slang with a pack of post-it notes in hand, marking dirty words that might be of use. These days the Internet is wonderfully helpful. This year I happily reverse-engineered a Latin obscenity back from English into its original crude Latin, for fictional use.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That translation of the Freedom come all ye doesn't just show the power inherent in the Scots, it is itself a possibly deliberate demonstration of the power not inherent in English political upper echelon speak. That last line is ludicrous. You could rend the power of the bosses' chains better.

To have the two tongues is a great gift.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a good deal of poetry written in the regional language I grew up in, but to be honest I'm not very familiar with it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the land of my fathers has this to offer. I'll try to transcribe the accent properly, and you'll get it's from.

quote:
I bawt a lot of brandy
when I was cawtin Sandy
took eight to make 'er randy
and all I 'ad was shandy
another fing wiv Sandy
wot often came in 'andy
was passing 'er a 'Mandy'
she didn't 'arf go bandy

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only problem with Billericay Dickie that is that Ian Dury was born in Harrow, Middlesex. But he is sadly missed nonetheless.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He apparently lived a while in Upminster, Essex - a town with which I have some association. The wierd thing is, he bigged-up that association as some kind of badge of honour - which compared to Billy Bragg's background in Barking, really comes across as a bit limp. Upminster is full of folks who commute to the city; buying a Guardian at the station is a tall order, given the huge piles of the Daily Mail which must first be negotiated. But Drury seems to have clutched at it, perhaps owing to its appearance on the tube map. Whatever - 'New Boots and Panties' is a masterpiece. Though one no longer on heavy rotation, since my kids started to pick out some of the lyrics:

quote:
I come awake - with the gift for womenkind
you're still asleep - but the gift don't seem to mind

When they started to say 'Dad, why is he singing ''arf way up your back" it seemed wise to keep it for post 9pm! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I write, well I try to, in the literary British English of the middle of the Twentieth century. This increasingly feels like a minority dialect.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you say 'literary British English' are you thinking of a vocabulary especially for poet-tree, or just English as spoken by literate people?

I don't think there is any one dialect for poetry: there's the language you need to make your point - a good example Tom Leonard's Six o'clock News.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the English I was taught at my school in the 1950s - a small country grammar school with a very good English teacher.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

To which I should add that I've described the English in which I try to write; I can, with luck, read an astonishing variety of dialects and variants of English.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016