homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So, what *is* poetry after all?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: So, what *is* poetry after all?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is poetry? We use words all the time. Why do we suddenly get happy, excited, upset ... if we put them in a certain order? Is it the story they tell? The rhyme? The rhythm? But there are good poems where at least one of these elements are missing.

Why do we want to listen to them?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly an answer to the question "what is poetry," but related: In college I took courses in modern poetry and the modern novel at the same time from the same professor. One day in the poetry class, the prof said that he had noticed that folks in the modern novel class always got kind of depressed about the whole thing, but that that never happened in the poetry class. (I had by that point lost interest in the novel class but loved the poetry class.) He asked if we had any idea why, given that there were plenty of the same depressing themes in the poetry as in the novels. The upshot of our discussion was that the order implied in poetry, even in the free verse, somehow made it all okay -- the organizing principles were clearly visible in the poetry in a way that they weren't in the novels, and the very fact of organization made it all seem bearable.

As for the why questions -- because it's art?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what Pope says of Wit -

True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
What oft was Thought, but ne'er so well Exprest,
Something, whose Truth convinc'd at Sight we find,
That gives us back the Image of our Mind:

applies to poetry. It articulates better than we can what we all feel, and does so in away that is shapely, satisfying and memorable. It combines beauty and truth.

Not all poetry, all the time, of course. But when it works.

The other thing I find extraordinary about it is the way it transcends time. You read a thing written five hundred, a thousand, two thousand years ago in an unimaginably different world, and it's as if a voice spoke in the room with you, abolishing all that distance.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016