homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are LGBT people routinely denied Communion in the Church of England? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are LGBT people routinely denied Communion in the Church of England?
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Inclusive Church Sunday thread in Ecclesiantics shipmates posted the following:

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Call me jaded and cynical, but I fail to see how such an event could be anything but a Big Lie (because the Church as an institution is far from what I'd call "inclusive"); or smug ("Hey, look at us! We don't beat you with sticks any more! Aren;t we good girls and boys?")

Other minorities' mileages may vary.

The national church, sure.

But we can celebrate those parish churches which refuse to follow the national church's line. To assure people that we won't refuse the Holy Communion.

quote:
Originally posted by S. Bacchus:
Also, in re this:

quote:
The national church, sure.

But we can celebrate those parish churches which refuse to follow the national church's line. To assure people that we won't refuse the Holy Communion.

It is most emphatically NOT the policy of the Church of England, or of the Roman Catholic Church for that matter, to refuse Communion to any of those people with whom Inclusive Church is primarily concerned. I am almost entirely certain that the Pope himself would not refuse communion to a lay Roman Catholic who happened to be gay, or who disagreed with the Church's teachings on the ordination of women (and that was as true in Benedict's time as it is under Francis, despite the attempt of the media to draw larger contrasts between their respective pontificates than can yet be conclusively demonstrated). And I know that either of the current English Archbishops would. In fact, I can't recall the last time I heard of anyone being denied communion in an Anglican church.*

*Okay, that's not true, I did once see a priest who blessed a man rather than give him the host; the man proceeded to make a big fuss about this and claimed it was because he was homeless, but I suspect that the real reasons were that he had walked in halfway through the Eucharistic prayer and was very visibly drunk. I don't know if the priest (who was old enough and of such a tradition that he probably believed strongly in fasting and careful preparation for all communicants) did the right thing or not.

quote:
leo responded by saying:
quote:
It is most emphatically NOT the policy of the Church of England, or of the Roman Catholic Church for that matter, to refuse Communion to any of those people with whom Inclusive Church is primarily concerned.

But it happens, especially in some conservative evangelical and charismatic churches. (Some use the Prayer Book line in the Exhortation about 'notorious sinners')

LGCM now has a policy of celebrating Communion at all its national and regional events because that is the only chance some people have of receiving the sacrament.

There followed a lively thread about wheather or not this was possible, until the whole topic was cut off by the Hosts, who reminded everyone that the subject was inappropriate for Ecclesiantics.

I admit that I was surprised by the notion that there are parts of England where LGBT people cannot find an Anglican church where they are welcome at the Lord's Table. For one thing, I think that if it had happened often, someone would have complained to the media and there would have been a big stink. Certainly there has been a strong negative reaction in the news whenever a LGBT person here in the US is denied Communion in a RC church.

Secondly, while I am aware of the fact that many Anglican churches in the more rural parts of the UK are formed into teams whereby all of the churches in a region served by the same priest(s), my impression was that the priests chosen for such service were fairly middle of the road in their theology. Are there really team ministries with an extreme con evo or charismatic theology? My impression, from the ship, was that extreme theologies on either end of the spectrum were pretty much an urban and suburban phenomenon.

Finally, would any of the bishops in the Church of England today approve of such a practice? +Grahm Dow and +Nazir Ali might have, but they're both retired.

Mind, I can see denying communion to gay people happening in some Anglican churches- but I am very surprised to hear that they can't find a more welcoming Anglican church within a reasonable distance.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Try:
For one thing, I think that if it had happened often, someone would have complained to the media and there would have been a big stink.

If we've learned nothing else from the various clergy sex abuse scandals, it should be the idea that "surely someone would have said something if this were going on" is not a reliable indicator of anything. That doesn't mean this sort of thing is going on, just that we can't take "I've never heard anyone talking about this" as evidence one way or the other.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, except that if soemone is actually refused at the altar rail it is in public view- though of course if a gay person were not to present themself for communion because they'd been warned off, no-one else would necessairly know about it. AIUI if a proiest refuses communion to someone at the altar s/he has to inform the Bishop about it: perhaps this deters some clergy from refusing communion who might otherwise do so- I don't know.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O.P., do you mean:

"denying communion to those who openly practice LGBT lifestyle and push the Gay Agenda",

or,

"denying communion to those who identify as LGBT and struggle with it"?

I can imagine conservative evangelical places like All Souls Langham pl. practicing the former, but not the latter... though I guess John Stott's days at All Souls are long gone.

[ 28. September 2013, 21:52: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------
Des Christen Herz auf Rosen geht, wenn's mitten unterm Kreuze steht.

Feel free to visit the Anglican Forums: http://forums.anglican.net/

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
VDMA, do you mean "LGBT and struggle with it" as in "I listen to homophobes who deny my inherent right to exist and it's destroyed my soul" or as in "OMG look at all these attractive people I really enjoy my God-given sexuality in healthy ways"?

Because I approve of the latter but the former need all the help we can give them as Christ's Body in the world.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No and I have never heard of it even being discussed.

What a strange question.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VDMA:
O.P., do you mean:

"denying communion to those who openly practice LGBT lifestyle and push the Gay Agenda",

or,

I don't practice a lifestyle; I live my life. I wish it involved an awful lot more passionate loving sex with another man. I'll only ever push the gay agenda to the extent that I am utterly certain, as certain as I am of my own existence, that this is no barrier whatsover to God's love for me. My manifold perversity is; my alleged perversion is not. If you don't like that, tough.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
VDMA, do you mean "LGBT and struggle with it" as in "I listen to homophobes who deny my inherent right to exist and it's destroyed my soul" or as in "OMG look at all these attractive people I really enjoy my God-given sexuality in healthy ways"?

Because I approve of the latter but the former need all the help we can give them as Christ's Body in the world.

I can't really reply to that post. You've worded my question in such a way that it's impossible for me to answer it without looking like a completely heartless bastard.

Christ preached repentance as much as He preached love and mercy. Read the Gospel of Matthew again with a view to how rude the Lord actually is to people who live in sin. He doesn't say one nice thing to anyone for about the first 10 chapters or so, and in the last few chapters it's almost constant teaching about judgment, Hell, sin, and evil.

I personally abstain from the sex which I desperately crave because I believe the Lord would condemn me for engaging in it, and I also believe the Lord will be more merciful and tender toward me because of my abstinence.

Anyway, how do you interpret the middle of the first chapter of Romans? Paul clearly says that a result of paganism among the Greeks was that men lusted after men. He lists this as a bad thing. Even if we question his idea of psychological causality or whatever, the fact is that he didn't exactly have a rosy view of it. The Biblical testimony against engaging in our lusty passions can only be circumvented by simply denying the divine inspiration of the Scriptures.

quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
quote:
O.P., do you mean:

or,

I don't practice a lifestyle; I live my life. I wish it involved an awful lot more passionate loving sex with another man. I'll only ever push the gay agenda to the extent that I am utterly certain, as certain as I am of my own existence, that this is no barrier whatsover to God's love for me. My manifold perversity is; my alleged perversion is not. If you don't like that, tough.
"Tough"? You sure are defensive about this. There's no reason get thorny the moment the subject comes up.

I, too, would like to "find love" with a man. I have fallen in love, in a very genuine way, before. There is one who I love now but cannot ever have, because of the choice I make to follow the Bible rather than my lusts. Even the straight man must follow the teaching of the Lord. Why should I be exempt because I'm a minority?

"I live my life" is the rallying cry of the individualist, the sentimentalist, and the man of pleasure. "Who are you to condemn me for living as I was born to live?", you might ask. Well, no one is born gay, but everyone is born into sin. God calls us precisely to live in ways that are [i]not[/] in accordance with our birth into sinfulness, selfishness, and worldliness. Engaging in gay sex is just another sin - nothing special, nothing to get prickly over.

There are no barriers to God's love, of course; that's the important thing. God has compassion on those who don't realize the mire they're stuck in, and on those who do realize but repent. Thank God for that, because none of us really understand the severity of sin. It doesn't mean there's no such thing as sin.

If a church is going to refuse holy communion to a man, it is because he is fornicating with other people against the commandment of God, not because the other people happen to be men. I should hope that vicars do the same for straight men who are having sex outside marriage. It's exactly the same sin.

Anyway, Anglicans are far too nice to to all this, so it's a moot point. [Razz]

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is all a question of interpretation. Which is why it's a dead horse of course.

I think we'll also find a wide difference of opinion on what we understand by the "LGBT lifestyle" or "gay agenda" if they even exist at all. I think they do not.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I, too, would like to "find love" with a man. I have fallen in love, in a very genuine way, before. There is one who I love now but cannot ever have, because of the choice I make to follow the Bible rather than my lusts. Even the straight man must follow the teaching of the Lord. Why should I be exempt because I'm a minority?

All I can say is that I believe you will live to deeply regret this decision.

My SIL's father made the same decision as you for the same reasons. He ignored his sexuality, thought the Bible was telling him to do so, married and had six children. It was only when he was sixty that he realised how hard he'd made life for himself and his family. He had five years with his new partner, then died of a heart attack.

Three of his children are gay and three straight - all in committed relationships. I felt for him, his wife and his family. I know that, if her were a young man now he'd make very different choices - and of course I would not have my lovely SIL. But life as a Yorkshire farmer in those days did not allow for faithful gay Christians, sadly.

It does now. Don't waste such hard won freedom.

Sorry, rather off topic [Hot and Hormonal] but close to my heart.

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good post, Boogie. It's very sad to read these 'ex-gay' posters. I know a little bit about 'gay conversion' professionally, and it fills me with horror.

I thought your point about 'how hard he'd made life' is exact. If you deny your sexuality, you don't just swan through life - the toll on you and those around you can be very severe.

I remember working with married couples who were both gay, and fortunately, realized they were messing themselves up, and came out, got divorced, and became authentic, thank God.

[ 29. September 2013, 10:12: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be marginally relevant, so bear with me.

Back in 1992 (I think), at the height of the controversy over Synod's decision to allow women's ordination, the vicar at our church decided to preach a sermon about Why Synod Were Wrong.

Now, I disagreed with him. I might have sat fuming all the way through the sermon, but the beginning of it included a number of factual errors about church history which *really* irritated me. Along with some other people, I walked out. It was either that or stand up and shout back at him.

A quick headcount in the church porch revealed that I was the only woman who had actually got up and walked out; all the rest were men. After a short debate we decided we were not annoyed enough with this priest to refuse to be in communion with him, and went back in for the rest of the service.

Judging by the pregnant pause before we got our communion wafers that day, he *considered* refusing us communion, but he didn't actually do it; perhaps because if we had complained to the bishop he would have had to explain the content of his sermon.

Going by this experience, I doubt there are many LGBT people who would be denied communion if they presented themselves at the altar. There are other ways of excluding people, though. Making them so unwelcome that they only ever come once, for example.

[ 29. September 2013, 10:20: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anecdotally there are a number of local churches that are not welcoming to LGBTs (or paedo-baptism or a number of other things). I'm not sure that communion is refused, but neither am I sure that the area bishop would support the want-to-be communicant if it was.

A number of Reform voters that voted down the Women Bishops proposal in November last year come from this area, from a number of churches with a strong Reform tradition and this was one of the Dioceses that voted against.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes; if my vicar had refused me communion in those circumstances I could have complained to the bishop and the bishop would probably have done something about it (even if it was just wagging his finger at the vicar and saying 'Tut, tut.') LGBT people cannot expect the same level of support; if they are refused communion the bishop is likely to back the priest's decision.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CofE always strikes me as a church that keeps an eye on PR. Surely refusing someone Communion could potentially lead to bad PR if the media got hold of the story?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Yes; if my vicar had refused me communion in those circumstances I could have complained to the bishop and the bishop would probably have done something about it (even if it was just wagging his finger at the vicar and saying 'Tut, tut.') LGBT people cannot expect the same level of support; if they are refused communion the bishop is likely to back the priest's decision.

I really don't think this would be the case.
And I would like to see some chapter and verse: some actual churches named where people have actually been refused communion. It is vanishingly rare for anyone to be refused communion for any reason these days. I know of one person who left St Andrew the Great in Cambridge because the church made clear their disapproval of this person being divorced, but even in this case the Lord's Supper was not refused. I'm with Pyx_e here.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent to Svitlana>
At what level are you seeing the Church of England controlling publicity?
  • The Archbishops - both York and Canterbury have their own websites and Twitter feeds? Most of which is not picked up by the media and what is picked up is usually partial and garbled.
  • The Church of England website and Twitter feed? Ditto to media coverage.
  • The local Dioceses?
  • The local Deanery?
  • The local parishes?
Because all of these publicise their events, sermons, etc and have to deal with the fall out of publicity or newspaper comment. </tangent>

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by quetzalcoatal:
quote:
Good post, Boogie. It's very sad to read these 'ex-gay' posters. I know a little bit about 'gay conversion' professionally, and it fills me with horror.

I thought your point about 'how hard he'd made life' is exact. If you deny your sexuality, you don't just swan through life - the toll on you and those around you can be very severe.

I wholeheartedly agree.
In fact if we deny anything that is fundamental to our identity, I fear we are in big trouble.

As to VDMA and being "ex-gay", I don't read his post as saying he is ex-gay but rather trying to abstain from sexual activity because of his commitment to the Bible and how he interprets it. And whether or not I agree with him, he deserves my respect for attempting to live by his beliefs regardless of how I or others view it. If he were being aggressive and telling other people how they should be behaving then I would feel very differently.
So much of this debate and indeed very many other topics revolves around the different approaches to interpreting and using the Bible (which is a topic in its own right and for another thread)

As to denying communion to people who identify as LGBT or anything else for that matter, quite honestly my heart breaks. Why, oh why would we wan to deny anyone a source of grace and intimacy with our Lord? I fear this is down to how we view the role of the church in our lives and matters of power and control and "church discipline" all of which come back to how we view the role of the Bible.....

God have mercy on us all!!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

At what level are you seeing the Church of England controlling publicity?

I don't know how all 'levels' interact in the CofE. I just get the impression that 'Gay Person Refused Communion' is a story that anyone in church leadership would rather not hear at the moment. The media would be interested in such a story because the media seems fascinated by anything that involves homosexuality and the CofE.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never come across it any denomination.

I have though been in a church where an individual was denied communion for reasons of sexual immorality and another where individuals were removed for gossip and division.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Well, my point was that the Church of England nationally may not want to see "Gay Person refused Communion" headlines in the press, but that action would happen at a local level, with a local parish. Any other levels - deanery, diocesan, national - would have to pick up the pieces later.

See this story which broke in local press first and national later.

--------------------

S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skirting around the nastiness.

I've never known ANYONE to be refused Communion in most Anglican churches, including people whom the celebrant in question must have known were not Christians. The two exceptions I've known to this were both in conservative Anglo-Catholic places with an SSC priest celebrating: one who refused the sacrament to drunk man (he blessed him instead) and another who refused the sacrament to a woman on the grounds of schism (it's a complicated story, which can't be told without revealing personal details). I also know of a case where a man was dismissed from all positions of authority in a church when it was revealed that he'd been impersonating a priest (dressing in clericals, and telling everyone that he was 'Fr so and so', and even conning his way into a concelebration), but I don't think he was excommunicated.

So, I would say that LGBT people being excommunicated because of their sexual orientation or gender expression is something rarer than the teeth of the proverbial hen.

By the way, I also know that there are openly gay (and non-celibate) people in numerous Roman Catholic congregations, including to my certain knowledge such bastions of traditionalism as the London Oratory.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

I can't really reply to that post. You've worded my question in such a way that it's impossible for me to answer it without looking like a completely heartless bastard.

Christ preached repentance as much as He preached love and mercy. Read the Gospel of Matthew again with a view to how rude the Lord actually is to people who live in sin. He doesn't say one nice thing to anyone for about the first 10 chapters or so, and in the last few chapters it's almost constant teaching about judgment, Hell, sin, and evil.

What? Not even
quote:
8:10-12 - When Jesus heard this, he was astonished. "Believe me," he said to those who were following him, "I have never found faith like this, even in Israel! I tell you that many people will come from east and west and sit at my table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of Heaven. But those who should have belonged to the kingdom will be banished to the darkness outside, where there will be tears and bitter regret."

8:13 - Then he said to the centurion, "Go home now, and everything will happen as you have believed it will." And his servant was healed at that actual moment.

or
quote:
9:1-2 - So Jesus re-embarked on the boat, crossed the lake, and came to his own town. Immediately some people arrived bringing him a paralytic lying flat on his bed. When Jesus saw the faith of those who brought him he said to the paralytic, "Cheer up, my son! Your sins are forgiven."
or
quote:
9:29 - Then he touched their eyes, saying, "You have believed and you will not be disappointed."
or
quote:
0:40 - "Whoever welcomes you, welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me is welcoming the one who sent me.

10:41-42 - "Whoever welcomes a prophet just because he is a prophet will get a prophet's reward. And whoever welcomes a good man just because he is a good man will get a good man's reward. Believe me, anyone who gives even a drink of water to one of these little ones, just because he is my disciple, will by no means lose his reward."

?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't repeat what I wrote in the thread referred to in the OP but will add that people have been told not to present themselves a the rail until they repented of their 'lifestyle.'

In one case, a gay couple still presented at the rail of their charismatic evangelical anglican church and the vicar performed an 'exorcism' without their request.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Leo

Yes - I suspected that if there's a problem, individuals will either be asked not to present themselves for Communion, or will simply choose not to do so. The issue won't reach the Communion rail, where 'refusal often offends'.

One wonders why anyone in modern Britain would want to attend Communion at an church where they have a fundamental theological disagreement with the minister on this supposedly key issue. The whole point of diversity in the CofE - and of a diversity of alternative denominations to choose from - is surely that you don't need to find yourself in such an embarrassing situation!

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I won't repeat what I wrote in the thread referred to in the OP but will add that people have been told not to present themselves a the rail until they repented of their 'lifestyle.'

In one case, a gay couple still presented at the rail of their charismatic evangelical anglican church and the vicar performed an 'exorcism' without their request.

You've been asked before: please provide the evidence to support your claims.

The operative word in the OP is "routinely" ie as a matter of course or regularly. One example is one too many but you just don't back up your wild claims.

[ 29. September 2013, 15:59: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

There is a difference between "LGBT people" and "practicing" LGBT people. A bishop or priest refusing communion to a person who is gay and celibate would be a horrible evil deserving of scandal. This is all about fornication, adultery, and the commandment of God to love our neighbour, I think. [Smile]

leo, These are all fairly neutral statements. Note that the Lord is responding to people who repent of their sins. There is no forgiveness of sins without repentance. He doesn't just go around willy-nilly touching everyone.

With regards to the actual Biblical standard: "sexual immorality" is often listed along with adultery as a sin to be repented of, so there must be something to it. Is it simply paedophilia? Bestiality? Homosexuality? (All verbs, actions) If it doesn't cover fornication, I'd be pretty surprised, given the sacredness of marriage. We know marriage is held as sacred in the Bible because it is the highest metaphor that the writers can use to describe both God's relationship with Israel, and Christ's relationship to His Church (His Bride, not His Groom, incidentally). They wouldn't use something "meh" to describe such cosmic connections. Since God constantly condemns Israel's faithlessness and whorish behaviour (i.e. Hosea), it stands to reason that sex outside marriage is condemned. Since marriage is between a man and a woman in the Bible, there can be no "healthy" sexual action outside marriage.

Sorry, lads. We all like to stand firm on what we think is right. I will do so, for the sake of my sinner's soul, and hopefully that others can be a little bit inspired.

MrsBeaky , thanks for the understanding and respect, sister in Christ. This is what I was talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

All I can say is that I believe you will live to deeply regret this decision.

My SIL's father made the same decision as you for the same reasons. He ignored his sexuality, thought the Bible was telling him to do so, married and had six children. It was only when he was sixty that he realised how hard he'd made life for himself and his family. He had five years with his new partner, then died of a heart attack.

Three of his children are gay and three straight - all in committed relationships. I felt for him, his wife and his family. I know that, if her were a young man now he'd make very different choices - and of course I would not have my lovely SIL. But life as a Yorkshire farmer in those days did not allow for faithful gay Christians, sadly.

It does now. Don't waste such hard won freedom.

Sorry, rather off topic [Hot and Hormonal] but close to my heart.

Dear Boogie,

I know this is off-topic, but it's important to address it because it's part of the reason why pastors may refuse Holy Communion to us.

I do not plan to deny my sexuality and get married. Women are icky. What I mean is that I wish to follow the Biblical pattern of the person who is not married: celibacy. I have my Christian friends; in the end, there is more joy and fellowship in close friends than in the passions of the flesh. That's what all this is about, after all.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Paedophilia, bestiality, homosexuality?"

Ah, the sight of that old triumvirate sends a bracing thrill through my old joints, and I think I hear the wind outside moan a little, in sympathy. It's fresh (not), it's brash, it's bollocks.

"Women are icky". Eh? No, they're wonderful, smart, grown-up, beautiful, adorable, sometimes dull, sometimes horny, but alive.

[ 29. September 2013, 17:01: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
"Paedophilia, bestiality, homosexuality?"

Ah, the sight of that old triumvirate sends a bracing thrill through my old joints, and I think I hear the wind outside moan a little, in sympathy. It's fresh (not), it's brash, it's bollocks.

"Women are icky". Eh? No, they're wonderful, smart, grown-up, beautiful, adorable, sometimes dull, sometimes horny, but alive.

Note that I did not make a list connecting the three, with commas. I said "Paedophilia? Bestiality? Homosexuality?" as separate entities. It was a set of questions: "which of these is meant by 'sexual immorality'?" Please do not twist my meaning.

I'm perfectly aware that almost every active gay person campaigns vigorously against paedophilia. Bestiality is just not even in our purview. The point is that the Scriptures meant something by "sexual immorality", and we must be honest in finding the answer.

I was joking about female ickiness. Just showing that I have no intention of being some self-denying "ex-gay". That's silliness. We are what we are.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We are what we are"

And who made this so?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do not plan to deny my sexuality and get married. Women are icky. What I mean is that I wish to follow the Biblical pattern of the person who is not married: celibacy. I have my Christian friends; in the end, there is more joy and fellowship in close friends than in the passions of the flesh. That's what all this is about, after all.

Good, at least other people won't be affected by your choices.

I am sure it all sounds very interesting and holy now. But I stand by what I said, if you continue this route I believe you will live to bitterly regret it. Homosexuality is natural and normal, and pretty much accepted as such these days PTL. A couple of verses in the Bible possibly condemning it don't make such 'sacrifice' worthwhile imo. You can serve God and be sexually fulfilled.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Good, at least other people won't be affected by your choices.

I am sure it all sounds very interesting and holy now. But I stand by what I said, if you continue this route I believe you will live to bitterly regret it. Homosexuality is natural and normal, and pretty much accepted as such these days PTL. A couple of verses in the Bible possibly condemning it don't make such 'sacrifice' worthwhile imo. You can serve God and be sexually fulfilled.

I'm very much gay and very much believe in committed gay relationships but it shouldn't ever be about our "sexual fulfillment". That is certainly not the be all and end all

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Leo

Yes - I suspected that if there's a problem, individuals will either be asked not to present themselves for Communion, or will simply choose not to do so. The issue won't reach the Communion rail, where 'refusal often offends'.

One wonders why anyone in modern Britain would want to attend Communion at an church where they have a fundamental theological disagreement with the minister on this supposedly key issue. The whole point of diversity in the CofE - and of a diversity of alternative denominations to choose from - is surely that you don't need to find yourself in such an embarrassing situation!

When I lived in Sussex, in my town it would have been difficult to find a church that wasn't conservative evangelical, Anglican or not. While I don't know if they'd refuse the Eucharist to LGBT people (I was not out at that time) there was a lot of hostility towards LGBT issues. If one wanted to go to church, there wasn't a lot of choice - there were the Quakers, but that meant no Eucharist and no anything else that meant 'church' to me. As I've said before, the diversity of the CoE really varies by location.

And speaking as a queer person - the importance of the 'key issue' really varies. At the time, my church family were more important to me than my church's view on sexuality. LGBT people of faith are very used to compromising in this way.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
VDMA - not everyone here views the Bible as the literal word of God. Even if people do, there are multiple valid interpretations of the 'texts of terror' regarding homosexuality (and also those texts regarding sexuality in general - I mean the Bible never outright condemns sex outside of marriage anyway!). So 'this is what the Bible says' is not a position that a lot of people on here will support, since it's just far too simplistic. The Bible is nuanced and complex and deserves a nuanced and complex approach to interpretation.

Regarding the OP, I have never heard of any LGBT people being refused Communion in the CoE. I've never heard of *anyone* being refused Communion in the CoE, not even very conservative churches.

Just out of interest, I'm curious as to how many here go to CoE churches that have out LGBT people in the congregation, and/or churches where sexuality issues come up. I'm out in life in general but given that sexuality issues just never come up in my church, and I don't have a significant other to talk about/introduce people to, most people in my church are not aware of my sexuality.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Jade

Yes, you have talked about your Sussex town. It sounds as though someone ought to have planted a more liberal church there.

I think a lot of us end up having to compromise when it comes to church life. Ironically, the current attention being given to the difficulties of gay people in the church should highlight the need for a greater diversity of church communities. If it has that outcome many people, both gay and straight, might benefit.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
leo, These are all fairly neutral statements.

"I have not found such faith, even in Israel!" is a neutral statement? Toss out your one-volume commentary because it's leading you astray.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Jade

Yes, you have talked about your Sussex town. It sounds as though someone ought to have planted a more liberal church there.

I think a lot of us end up having to compromise when it comes to church life. Ironically, the current attention being given to the difficulties of gay people in the church should highlight the need for a greater diversity of church communities. If it has that outcome many people, both gay and straight, might benefit.

A liberal Anglican church is unlikely to have blossomed given +Benn being our suffragan at the time [Smile] There are lots of other places in the CoE where churchmanship is linked to geographic location though - some places are FiF hotspots, some places are strongly evangelical, etc etc. The CoE is diverse, yes, but not homogenised. Sometimes, you just have to make do with what's there. That's why the 'why don't you just find another church' thing is annoying, because it's very much an outsider's perspective on the CoE and not how it actually works in practice. How things 'should' be is not how they actually are.

Also yes, most people have to compromise at some level in church circles, but for straight people it's usually regarding how often Communion is or the music style, not whether or not they can openly be out as LGBT.

Speaking more generally, as a queer person I am deeply deeply uncomfortable by being told by straight people how I should experience church or having my lived experiences ignored.

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"sexual immorality" is often listed along with adultery as a sin to be repented of <snip> If it doesn't cover fornication, I'd be pretty surprised, given the sacredness of marriage.

I'm not entirely sure that's how to do exegesis.

quote:
Since God constantly condemns Israel's faithlessness and whorish behaviour (i.e. Hosea), it stands to reason that sex outside marriage is condemned.
I don't see how that logically follows. The sin of adultery you mentioned in your post would seem to be closer to what Israel had been up to - they are already in a relationship with God and go off after other gods. Noone would suggest that two (unmarried) people of the same sex in a loving sexual relationship with one another were committing adultery.

quote:
Since marriage is between a man and a woman in the Bible
Not if by "a" you mean singular in both cases.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

The 'why don't you just find another church' thing is annoying, because it's very much an outsider's perspective on the CoE and not how it actually works in practice.
[...]
Speaking more generally, as a queer person I am deeply deeply uncomfortable by being told by straight people how I should experience church or having my lived experiences ignored.

Goodness me! I'm a totally inadequate representative of 'straight people'!! My point is simply that we should strive to experience church in a way that's best for us. That's why I think we need more diversity than we have at present. If that's not how the CofE sees things, then some other denomination will have to step up to the plate.

FWIW I do attend Anglican services relatively often these days, though perhaps I'm just too much of an outsider to understand the CofE. My wanderings will no doubt continue.

S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just out of interest, I'm curious as to how many here go to CoE churches that have out LGBT people in the congregation, and/or churches where sexuality issues come up. I'm out in life in general but given that sexuality issues just never come up in my church, and I don't have a significant other to talk about/introduce people to, most people in my church are not aware of my sexuality.

You're a self-described Anglo-Catholic. Out of curiosity, is the church where you worship in that tradition and, if so, are you a relative newcomer?

Because Anglo-Catholicism and homosexuality go together like two things that go together (if you'll forgive the Baldrickism). In urban Anglo-Catholic churches (Inner London, Brighton, Oxford), gay men are often the majority. In suburban and village Anglo-Catholicism, they're likely to be a relatively visible minority.

How much sexuality is discussed seems to vary by generation. Even so, it's not been uncommon in MY 'lived experience' as a queer person and an Anglican to hear even relatively elderly Anglo-Catholic priests refer to 'parishes, like ours, with many gay men in the congregation'.

My impression is that AIDS went a long way toward bringing Anglo-Catholicism out of the closet (I know that I will be criticized for talking about things I didn't experience personally, which is true, but I've heard this from several people).

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

You're a self-described Anglo-Catholic. Out of curiosity, is the church where you worship in that tradition and, if so, are you a relative newcomer?

Because Anglo-Catholicism and homosexuality go together like two things that go together (if you'll forgive the Baldrickism). In urban Anglo-Catholic churches (Inner London, Brighton, Oxford), gay men are often the majority. In suburban and village Anglo-Catholicism, they're likely to be a relatively visible minority.

How much sexuality is discussed seems to vary by generation. Even so, it's not been uncommon in MY 'lived experience' as a queer person and an Anglican to hear even relatively elderly Anglo-Catholic priests refer to 'parishes, like ours, with many gay men in the congregation'.

My impression is that AIDS went a long way toward bringing Anglo-Catholicism out of the closet (I know that I will be criticized for talking about things I didn't experience personally, which is true, but I've heard this from several people).

I do go to an A-C church, and I wouldn't describe myself as a newcomer to the tradition. I am well-aware of the link between A-C churches and homosexuality, but it's not the case in my own church - it's mostly made up of women and heterosexual couples, with some widowed or married men (and yes, I know these men are widowed or married, not just assuming). I think the FiF churches in the area fit your experience more, although I haven't spent a lot of time around their congregations.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise in advance for what follows:

Can I just get rid of all the shits who tell me that to be a faithful Christian I must deny my entire sense of being? That I must, by virtue of being who I was created as, be subjected to a life that only, scripturally speaking, some are called to (ie celibacy)?

As I say, I apologise for including language unbecoming, but despite the intercessions of Michael, I've had a rather crappy day, and I can't be arsed with homophobes today, feeling no fraternity towards anyone of any persuasion on any dead horse issue...

Anyhow, I know for a fact that my Bishop and all of the senior clergy in the Diocese, as well as my Parish clergy would be horrified if I returned with a claim that a Priest in the Diocese had refused me Communion based on my sexuality or relationship status, and would fight my corner beyond a mere slap on the wrists... Based on the knowledge that a member of the congregation I worship with has had a more than a mere slap on the wrist over raising this issue in the past from other congregation members, clergy and Diocesan big-wigs, when I was starting out on the Discernment process and was with Mr S-M.

I sometimes wonder whether minority groups develop a persecution mentality and seek to see persecution where it really isn't... but anyway I've downed too many bottles to night and am not making any sense in my mind or on the keyboard... I'm shutting up and going to bed.

Sorry for subjecting you to my rambling but I had to express it somehow.

god bless you all, and may the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Michael and St David pray for you an for all you hold dear this day and always.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry, lads. We all like to stand firm on what we think is right. I will do so, for the sake of my sinner's soul, and hopefully that others can be a little bit inspired.

I spent about 17 years standing firm on that same thing, because I thought it was right. It took me that long to admit that it was the line of thinking that was wrong and making my life hell.

The only thing I'm a little bit inspired to do is tell you that I really hope, for your sake, it takes you less than 17 years to change your mind.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A liberal Anglican church is unlikely to have blossomed given +Benn being our suffragan at the time [Smile]

Didn't seem to have that effect in Brighton.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
A liberal Anglican church is unlikely to have blossomed given +Benn being our suffragan at the time [Smile]

Didn't seem to have that effect in Brighton.
True, although I always got the impression that Certain People in the CoE in Sussex would have loved to see Brighton disappear off the map forever for many reasons, not just being an AffCath haven. In Brighton it's just a numbers thing - there are so many gay men that there are the numbers to keep churches going even in the face of hostility. Outside of that concentration of gay men, things are rather different.

Also, it is worth pointing out that Anglo-Catholicism is extremely friendly to gay men - but gay men aren't the entirety of LGBTQ+ people. A trans person, for instance, probably has a rather different experience, as would a lesbian of colour (heck, a gay man of colour).

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I know this isn't in England, but i was interested in this:
quote:
at General Synod 2005, Dean Michael Burrows (now a bishop) stated that he regularly gives Holy Communion to parishioners in long-standing homosexual relationships
Irish Angle, 31 March 2006

It looks as if they are reporting this as something unusual.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The practice or the statement? Could be either. And whichever it is, it being reported only means that the person reporting it thinks it's unusual.

[ 30. September 2013, 15:52: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the OP, I would be very surprised to find a con evo CofE church 'refusing communion' to LGBT people, simply because, usually, communion isn't so important (indeed, as I've said elsewhere, I attended St Helens Bishopsgate weekly for 2 years without seeing a single communion), and there isn't the same idea of 'being in communion', or as using communion as an indicator of fellowship. Because who would care?

Rather, the way of indicating breach of fellowship would be in the form of quiet words after the service, or, in extreme forms, being asked to leave cell groups etc.

In the con evo CofE churches that I have had communion at (eg St Aldates Oxford), there are no checks before one is given communion, as to sexuality, whether one is confirmed, whatever. The only question would be if an LGBT couple were being openly couply. That might be an issue, but I am not sure (though I do not know) if they would be refused or just 'quiet-word'ed after, and it would probably be a similar stance if the couple were straight but unmarried.

So I think Leo's famous 'examples' must be on the FiF end - I think it would sound too quaint to a Reform-ist.

Finally, since we all seem to be doing tiresome 'speaking as' arguments here, I would probably class myself as a bi man, and am perfectly happy to have entirely straight people telling me what they think. My straight Bible teacher will openly criticise same-sex behaviour, as he would a great many other traits in me, all of which are 'part of me' but I do not wish to encourage. I often disagree with him but I can understand why he says it. Having said this, I get that it is a lot lot easier to be a bi man (who on balance prefers women) than entirely gay, which I appreciate must be exceptionally difficult, so I make no comment on that.

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

quote:
Originally posted by ButchCassidy:

So I think Leo's famous 'examples' must be on the FiF end - I think it would sound too quaint to a Reform-ist.

I find it extremely implausible that churches on the FinF end of things would excommunicate openly gay people. FinF gatherings are trés gay. Even if that weren't the case, the Catholic tradition is to deal with matters of personal morality in the confessional.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No disagreement from me! Mirrors my own FiF experiences also. If I wasn't being hit on by one or two at the Oratory (I know not FiF but feels similar in aspects) they were v friendly [Paranoid]

[ 30. September 2013, 18:53: Message edited by: ButchCassidy ]

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016