homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Comics fins (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Comics fins
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi! Any other comics fans here? * 'm mainly Marvel and DC with some Dark Horse and Dynamite, though this is kind of general, but * thought * 'd see who else there is...

[ 18. September 2014, 08:24: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvel girl! Not much time for DC, I like some Dark Horse. I really enjoyed Image back when they first came out, but I've not really been much of a reader in recent years. (grown-up life, blah blah blah)

our dear departed ken was a marvel man, as well.

My tastes run pretty mundane. I collected Spidey since I was about 6 until about 30. Also read a lot of X-Men (and various spinoffs) and I was a huge Alpha Flight fan, but it used to be hard to get those. Do they even exist anymore?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alpha Flight does indeed still exist, and is currently guest-starring in the Amazing X-Men storyline, "World War Wendigo." [Smile]

I like both DC and Marvel traditionally, though I hate the New 52 over at DC and only like a few of those in spite of it, pretty much based on who the authors are.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like weird indie stuff. Fantagraphics has put out a treasure of the old "Love and Rockets" comics form the late 80's -90's and I am getting sucked back into them all over again.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drawn and Quarterly, Pantheon, and some weird self-published indie stuff for me. SPX is one of my favorite weekends of the year. As for particulars, Chris Ware, Alison Bechdel, and Craig Thompson are good standbys; Ulli Lust's Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life is an unusually good autobio comic (usually don't like those), and Asterios Polyp has such a great architectonic quality to its multi-layered drawings that it's worth seeking out. I've been meaning to find more Johan Sfaar and Art Speigelman, but I'm a cheapskate who likes abusing the local library collections, and there's only so much of either they have. Also need to start in on that Bone omnibus I got at the last SPX…

Sigh. You'd think it'd be even more incentive for me to finally finish reading about Hegel's religion, right?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been a comics fan for decades, and have a very nearly complete Batman collection (DETECTIVE, BATMAN, etc.) that runs back to the 1970s. Unfortunately I have recently fallen off the sled, and am thinking of selling my entire collection on Ebay.
However, I still adore Modesty Blaise.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Drawn and Quarterly, Pantheon, and some weird self-published indie stuff for me. SPX is one of my favorite weekends of the year. As for particulars, Chris Ware, Alison Bechdel, and Craig Thompson are good standbys; Ulli Lust's Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life is an unusually good autobio comic (usually don't like those), and Asterios Polyp has such a great architectonic quality to its multi-layered drawings that it's worth seeking out. I've been meaning to find more Johan Sfaar and Art Speigelman, but I'm a cheapskate who likes abusing the local library collections, and there's only so much of either they have. Also need to start in on that Bone omnibus I got at the last SPX…

Sigh. You'd think it'd be even more incentive for me to finally finish reading about Hegel's religion, right?

We SERIOUSLY need to hang.

And you forgot Last Gasp.

Also,I recommend the "Barefoot Gen" series-- at least the first three books, it got a little preachy after that. Basically manga based on the author's experience surviving the bombing of Nagasaki.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

However, I still adore Modesty Blaise.

Have only just figured out what Modesty Blaise is about. Seems interesting.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, Peter O'Donnell (her creator) passed away and there will be no more Modesty in comic strip or novel. But almost all the strips have been reprinted in large-format edition by Titan Press, and the novels are around.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love and Rockets, Sandman etc. were/are my favourites.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be. Before DC blew up their universe. More accurately I've a few shelves full of graphic novels but consider the DC universe in which John Constantine can have a crossover with Shazam and not have a clash in tone to be something I can't be bothered with. The artform itself is fascinating, as are the stories; I'm just not buying anything new as an ongoing (although have in the past month bought a collection of Hellblazers including the only Garth Ennis I'll ever own* and Rat Queens).

* Dangerous Habits

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll admit that Matt Fraction does an OK job, but most Marvel/DC stuff is nigh-unreadable to me now. It feels like the quality of writing in some ongoing web comics just utterly slays the over-hyped print stuff, and that's where most of my comic interest remains. Order of the Stick and Sluggy Freelance being a couple stand-out examples.

Which is not to say that I don't occasionally re-read my Watchmen / Cerebus / Sandman / Hellboy compendiums, because they're still awesome.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandman, death, watchmen, V for vendetta grace my shelves.
As do Calvin and Hobbes, Gary Larson and Don Martin.
And Scott pilgrim.

I am looking for my next graphic novel series now but haven't found it yet.

I blame Neil Gaiman, he introduced me to the joy of graphic novels.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It feels like the quality of writing in some ongoing web comics just utterly slays the over-hyped print stuff, and that's where most of my comic interest remains. Order of the Stick and Sluggy Freelance being a couple stand-out examples.

RooK turned me on to Sluggy Frelance. He's right, it kicks most of that slick, glossy DC stuff to shreds.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't really an AS thread - so you're all off to Heaven!

WW - AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I really enjoy THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN. And ASTRO CITY, which is just superb. People here would enjoy "Confession", the second arc in ASTRO CITY -- it is readily available in trade paper format. A Catholic priest turns super-hero...

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I like weird indie stuff. Fantagraphics has put out a treasure of the old "Love and Rockets" comics form the late 80's -90's and I am getting sucked back into them all over again.

Fantagraphics! I used to live right up the street from one of their offices in Seattle. I had a disastrous interview with them once...(hey! how was I supposed to know NOT to dress up in a business suit?!) and some of my friends work there and have their stuff published by Fantagraphics. I love Love and Rockets and anything by Chris Ware.

I've loved Spiderman since I was about ten. I love Wonder Woman and some Batman/Dark Knight stuff. Ironman, Thor, X-Men.

I also had every single issue of the "V for Vendetta" series, almost all of the Sandman/Death series from Vertigo. Yep, I'm a nerd! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Sandman, death, watchmen, V for vendetta grace my shelves.
As do Calvin and Hobbes, Gary Larson

yes! all of these. as well as Mutts and Get Fuzzy. and Maus!

also - dare I admit it? I was a crazy Conan and Sonja fan as a kid, and obsessive - OBSESSIVE! - about Elfquest. I had all of the graphic novels and they were worn out. I honestly don't know what happened to them, they disappeared somewhere in one of my many moves.

I... [Hot and Hormonal] ... my first tattoo came from Elfquest.

Don't laugh! I was young. and it's aged very well. so huh.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've come close to buying Maus several times. Is it good, or just too bleak? or both?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

both.

fabulous. you will cry, but it's okay. get it.

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I collect the Doc Savage comics, as well as the books. Used to haunt comic book stores searching for them...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I think Marvel's doing really well right now overall, but I'm focused mainly on the writers--a whole bunch of whom (not all) were doing great stuff at DC a few years ago (pre-New 52).

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
I collect the Doc Savage comics, as well as the books. Used to haunt comic book stores searching for them...

How are the current Doc Savage comics? They're on my "get when I can afford them" list.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't read many comic books and have lost track of the Marvel/DC universes. I do like Alison Bechdel and also Girl Genius. I did like Sandman and Watchmen. Maus is very good if depressing. I do plan to pick up the locus award comic which is about Dr Who going to a Science Fiction Convention.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

and tank girl.
which is a guilty pleasure.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I don't read many comic books and have lost track of the Marvel/DC universes. I do like Alison Bechdel and also Girl Genius. I did like Sandman and Watchmen. Maus is very good if depressing. I do plan to pick up the locus award comic which is about Dr Who going to a Science Fiction Convention.

Damn! [Yipee]

Very much agreed about the brilliance of Maus. Our local high school districts assign in in literature classes.

And Patdys-- why guilty? Tank Girl rocks!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Just to combine a couple levels of geekiness-- has anyone out there heard of Sam Hurt's Eyebeam? It's like if Seinfeld and Dr. Who had a baby.

Here's a good tip-of-the iceberg example

Also, if you are a gaming fan, look up some compendiums of Knights of the Dinner Table, a strip that focuses on the antics of a table top RPG group, which ran in Dragon magazine for many years before becoming a comic on its own. Really, really funny. Also, a comic series spin off developed around the gaming group's characters-- Hackmaster.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maus is required reading. I held off on getting it for the longest time (because, you know, required reading, why should I read it, I should already know everything in it, I've read enough about it there's nothing new in it, ooh, signed copy, okay, I'll read it, oh hey, there's a lot here I didn't know about, imagine that), but yeah. Once you've read it, the craft of comics will make sense. Also check out MetaMaus, Spiegelman's commentary and research notes.

Also worth finding: the Contract with God trilogy by Wil Eisner, along with Comics and Sequential Art and, if you can find it, Comics: The Invisible Art. There's not very much high-level criticism on the level of literary criticism in comics (well, unless you're sitting in on panels at SPX, in which case, gender studies, here we come!), but if you read the two "theory" books and Contract, comics and comic theory will make more sense. Actually, I prefer to use Craig Thomson's Habibi as a better example of the use of graphic and lettering theory—I don't think I own a more gorgeous book than that one—but to each their own.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
and tank girl.

I worked on the set of the film and really enjoyed it.

I hope to work on Comic.Con next year (as well as the Super Bowl...)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maus is required reading. I held off on getting it for the longest time ...because, you know, required reading, why should I read it, I should already know everything in it, I've read enough about it there's nothing new in it....

The entire family read it when it came out and really enjoyed it, including our then pre-teen daughter. First grapic novel I'd seen since ( the X-rated ) Fritz the Cat!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The disconcerting thing for me reading this thread is that every time I see 'DC' I think D C Thompson.

And then I think of Desperate Dan in a skintight leotard, Beryl the Peril as a super villainess and Oor Wullie as a Dark Nicht the noo. And then I have to go and lie down.

Pay no attention. A British childhood in the '50s does that.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, nobody has mentioned Bunty, Buster, or Whizzer and Chips yet, either. Welcome to Heaven, btw.

[ 28. June 2014, 08:14: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The seminal book -about- comics is UNDERSTANDING COMICS by Scott McCloud. A marvelously entertaining book and illustrated (of course) by himself, it lays out all the tools for understanding and critiquing the sequential art form. Read it (and the two sequels) and you will truly understand comics.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Maus is required reading. I held off on getting it for the longest time (because, you know, required reading, why should I read it, I should already know everything in it, I've read enough about it there's nothing new in it, ooh, signed copy, okay, I'll read it, oh hey, there's a lot here I didn't know about, imagine that), but yeah. Once you've read it, the craft of comics will make sense. Also check out MetaMaus, Spiegelman's commentary and research notes.

Shit, I saw that in a used bookstore the other day, and just assumed it was a compilation alone. Must go back.

I was following political comics and indie comics for years, but Maus really seemed to signal a shift in public perception of comics-- it's was the first ( and still the best) solid argument for comic art as a form of literature.

The only Craig Thompson I have read is Blankets, which is almost unbearably raw and touching.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who saw the title to this thread as "Comic sans" and thought it was going to be about fonts? [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 28. June 2014, 18:47: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want meta comics; the books by Scott Mcleod starting with "Understanding Comics" give a huge insight in the art of making comics. It's worth reading even if, like me, you can't draw.

While "Maus" is definitely great, I remember with great fondness Speigelman's all black cover for the New Yorker the week after 9/11 and the comics he did shortly thereafter. Very moving art in a politically difficult time.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
Am I the only one who saw the title to this thread as "Comic sans" and thought it was going to be about fonts? [Hot and Hormonal]

Yes.

Sorry about that [Big Grin]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK versions were 2000AD and Judge Dredd - and they weren't that easy to get hold of, the American versions were even harder - to the point that there were (are?) comic books shops in Covent Garden I used to visit.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I have to watch my pennies a LOT right now due to poor finances (indeed, part of what interrupted my time on the Ship a few years ago was my parents' deaths, getting a house, then losing the house, having a sort of near-nervous breakdown, getting my life back together, etc. and now I have a nice but not-high-paying job in which I have found my niche, in an apartment with Cubby), but here is what is coming out I most recommend on the super-hero side of things from DC:

THE MULTIVERSITY (Grant Morrison)
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK (J.M. DeMatteis)
SECRET ORIGINS
TRINITY OF SIN: THE PHANTOM STRANGER #22 (DeMatteis)
JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 (DeMatteis)
WORLD’S FINEST (Paul Levitz)
EARTH 2 (Tom Taylor)
ACTION COMICS (Greg Pak)
BATMAN/SUPERMAN (Pak)
ALL-STAR WESTERN #34 (Palmiotti)
SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN
ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE
ASTRO CITY (Kurt Busiek)

The Gentle Reader may note that many of these are not set in the New 52 at all:
THE MULTIVERSITY
SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN
ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE
ASTRO CITY
(periodically, when they collect them, the digital-first non-continuity Legends of the Dark Knight stories)

Of the remaining ones, many are not set in (1) the present day or (2) the main New 52 Earth:
SECRET ORIGINS
JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000
WORLD’S FINEST
EARTH 2
ALL-STAR WESTERN (ending soon, alas)

Which leaves just these as my glimpse into the present-day main-Earth New 52:
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
TRINITY OF SIN: THE PHANTOM STRANGER (ending soon, alas)
ACTION COMICS
BATMAN/SUPERMAN

All of which I am getting for two reasons: J.M. DeMatteis and Greg Pak.

When I can afford them, which is not right now, I will go get back issues or trade collections of Gail Simone's Batgirl, Jeff Parker's Aquaman, and Dan Jurgens' Aquaman and the Others. Geoff Johns made an Aquaman I couldn't stand, but I am sure Parker and Jurgens can make him more suited to my tastes.

As for Marvel:

A few years ago, I hated, hated, hated Civil War and much that came from/led to it. Hated it. Passionately. To me, that was Marvel's Bad Period. I think things have much improved, especially due to Marvel having a lot better writing than DC overall right now. (In my opinion.) I think things have become vastly better with Axel Alonso at the helm.

My Marvel list of stuff, basically based on writers (Aaron (which is why Original Sin is the first crossover series I've actually bought in YEARS), Robinson, Davis, Remender, Moore, Slott, the whole Ms. Marvel team, Rucka, Cornell, Claremont, etc.) plus my Logan/Wolverine fix (which I will always buy unless it is by one of the writers I truly, truly dislike, not naming names here):

ORIGINAL SIN
FANTASTIC FOUR
ALL-NEW INVADERS
ORIGINAL SINS
SAVAGE HULK
MIRACLEMAN -- yes, by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman BY THE WAY, IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW, MARVEL NOW HAS THE RIGHTS TO THIS GROUNDBREAKING EARLY 1980s SERIES AND IS REPRINTING IT ALL FROM THE START
UNCANNY AVENGERS
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
MS. MARVEL
AMAZING X-MEN
CYCLOPS
WOLVERINE
SAVAGE WOLVERINE
WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN
NIGHTCRAWLER

Marvel list of stuff for later when I can:
Everything not on the above list by Waid (Daredevil, Hulk), Slott, Aaron (Thor, etc.), and Remender (Captain America), with some other things possibly.

Dark Horse: Conan stuff.

Dynamite: Sometimes, when I can afford it, Warlord of Mars or Tarzan or Red Sonja stuff.

I have a LOT of stuff on lists for "getting when I can afford them as either trade paperbacks or in back issues."

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And there are some fantastic web comics. I highly recommend GIRL GENIUS, but plan to have a chunk of time in hand before you begin. You will wish to read it from the beginning (it's all on line for free) and it'll take you a while. They've been publishing three comics a week for more than ten years.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Webcomics I like:

Sinfest
Thepunchlineismachismo
From Draenor With Love
Oglaf (NOT SAFE FOR WORK AT ALL)

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:

Yes.

Sorry about that [Big Grin]

Not a problem, it has been that sort of week.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, webcomics. I wasn't going to post on this thread, but then they came up! I avidly follow, and heartily recommend, all of the following (in no particular order):

Gunnerkrigg Court (mythology, mystery and schoolkids messing around)
Girl Genius (steampunk + mad science)
Order of the Stick (RPG pisstake becomes excellent story)
Dresden Codak (really intelligent, beautiful art, glacial update schedule)
Sinfest (one of the oldest web comics still going)
Sequential Art (slice of life + furries)
Questionable Content (slice of life + robots)
Darths and Droids (Star Wars if it was an RPG!)
Exterminatus Now (Sonic the Hedgehog meets Warhammer 40K. Yes, really)
El Goonish Shive (slice of life + magic)
Zebra Girl (dark, especially the more recent storylines)
Go Get a Roomie (NSFW)
Oglaf (VERY NSFW)
Dr McNinja (he's a doctor and a ninja. What's not to like?)
XKCD (natch)

If I had to pick one to recommend over the others, I'd pick Gunnerkrigg Court. After a shaky start the art is beautiful, and the storylines are incredibly detailed while never becoming impenetrable.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh, I forgot Scandinavia and the World!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly I went and read Oglaf.

You really have to like looking at penii a lot to enjoy it.

It is a shame, cos the non-subporn sections are mildly funny.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Clearly I went and read Oglaf.

You really have to like looking at penii a lot to enjoy it.

Which at least makes a change from most NSFW stuff, that only tends to have female parts in it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I discovered Oglaf by accident a while ago and have been following it ever since.

I also regularly read YAFGC which I discovered after following a Doctor Who comic by the same writer

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I've kinda sorta heard of sinfest-- didn't they used to be part of keenspot?

I used to prowl keenspot regularly, but checking it out recently was kind if disappointing-- the occasional manga/ d& d knockoff is ok, but that seems to be all they got now. I like the unusual. ( one of my faves in that site was some soapy thing about a Canadian girls' school.). On that note, I was cheered to see that Chopping Block-- the single panel hijinks of a cuddly serial killer-- is still going strong.

Boxjam's Doodle seems to have faded into the blue. Sad. It was a pleasant little bit of weird.

I actually had a great discussion about graphic novels with a cousin yesterday, and I told him I really owe my love of comics to two books I read when I was abour 9 or 10-- one was A History of the United States Through Political Cartoons, 1776-1976 ( I don't think I was seriously interested in history before reading this) and The Brass Ring by Bill Mauldin, who was a cartoonist for the Army newspaper Stars and Stripes throughout WWII. The latter book I should not have been reading at age 10, but I highly recommend it both as a war narrative and a celebration of comic art and the power of political cartoons.

But this memory of clandestine reading brings me back to hiding in my grandparent's attic and reading through my grandpa's stack of Playboy 's -- for the cartoons. *One shock I remember was seeing the name of beloved children's book author Tomi Ungerer as the creator of some bizarre comic strip about anthropomorphic genitalia chasing each other around a desert.

* ok, the centerfold bios were pretty funny, too.

[ 29. June 2014, 15:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first started reading comics back when Green Arrow moved to Seattle and the stories were aimed at more mature readers - I loved Mike Grell's work, and was lucky enough to meet him at a Comic Con this year. That was the weekend I dressed up as Green Arrow and Captain Marvel on different days - I think Carol Danvers is brilliant, and why can't Marvel do a tshirt of her uniform top? I had to make my own.
At around the same time, I was another Elfquest fan (via a novelisation I bought at a Star Trek Con), but I never did get to find out if they ever found the space ship their race had arrived on the planet in.
Then there was a long gap, and now my Young Man is educating me - he's a long-time Captain Britain fan, and Paul Cornell, one of my favourite Doctor Who writers, did a series of stories featuring Captain Britain, MI-13, and various other characters like Spitfire and Captain Midlands - and a Muslim woman doctor who ends up wielding Excalibur! That led me on to a stand-alone Pete Wisdom/MI-13 story.
The Young Man can also explain long and complicated back stories of various characters, and stop me from making social faux pas like mixing up Marvel and DC characters!
I also dipped my toe in the water by buying the Neil Gaiman graphic novel, 1602, which introduced me to his version of Daredevil - I love Daredevil!
And just recently, I saw a trailer for a new John Constantine TV series, and I've started looking out for Hellblazer now.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first started with the Alan Moore Swamp Thing which I still love.
And of course all other Alan Moore stuff. Or Neil Gaiman but they have been mentioned before.
What about Grant Morrison?
Animal Man
Doom Patrol
His Justice League
His X-men stuff?

I Also like the Authority and Planetary by Warren Ellis.

As someone mentioned before get the Miracleman re-issues I loved reading those back in the 90's.
I recently re-read it and it still holds up for me.

More recent stuff The Unwritten, Saga, Fables.

Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016