homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How do you pray to a great and loving Mystery?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How do you pray to a great and loving Mystery?
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you pray to a God who is not an Old Testament patriarch, nor a micro-organiser, nor anything but a great and wonderful and loving Mystery?
Not in words, but in connecting...
I have settled on a body prayer, nightly in the garden, based on Julian of Norwich but somewhat different to her intention.
Mine goes something like this:
Hands together in prayer – acknowledging the holiness of Creation
Hands upraised and apart – I am part of creation, aware of both the nearby sounds, scents, what I can see and what I feel – there is almost always a stirring of air on my face – and the immensity above and beyond.
Arms crossed on my breast – bringing myself into the wholeness of creation.
Hands wide apart at elbow height – this is where I hold in my consciousness those for whom my concern has been aroused during the day, from people I know who are ill or in distress, to those suffering in places of famine or war, to distant or nearby friends and neighbours and family.
Namaste gesture – greeting to those in my thoughts – known or unknown, you are loved and cared about.

When it is my turn to offer intercessions, I write a prayer using words as I would a in poem, but rather than ask god to send help or care, I ask rather that there will be someone to bring comfort, peace, healing.

St Francis' prayer 'Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace...' appeals because instead of asking god to do something it acknowledges that it is in our hands to make a difference.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes meditating in nature helps for me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one GG. That's part of the jigsaw for me, I'll be putting in to practice again tonight at the soup kitchen. The intercessory prayer that we be God's ears, hearts, minds, wallets, encouragement.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016