homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Advent Processions/Lessons and Carols

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Advent Processions/Lessons and Carols
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello my esteemed shipmates. I'm looking for a source for an order of service for an Advent procession/Lessons and Carols for use in an Anglican/Episcopal liturgical context. While the US Book of Occasional Services does have the order of the readings, it is silent on the order of the procession (i.e. when to move to the font, quire, etc.). Thanks!
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First, sorry that I do not know of such a source.

However, from an old recording from King's College and from attending excellent Advent procession services in Oxford chapels, I do know one method is for the choir to sing an advent prose (I think that is the term) in the ante-chapel (or back of the church) then process into place during the opening hymn.

I may add I know of one or two pieces that are very dramatic when sung from afar. I can look around and find them later if you wish.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old Carols for Choirs series, published by the Oxford University Press, contained a suggested order of service in the back of vols 1 and 2. I think that where specific parts of the service are placed in the church are a matter of individual choice - on the altar, from the organ loft, etc.

[ 15. October 2014, 12:37: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
First, sorry that I do not know of such a source.

However, from an old recording from King's College and from attending excellent Advent procession services in Oxford chapels, I do know one method is for the choir to sing an advent prose (I think that is the term) in the ante-chapel (or back of the church) then process into place during the opening hymn.

The responsory "I look from afar" is often used here, usually set as a contrafactum of a Palestrina Magnificat.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the one we use: the other that I've heard (at St Mary Mag in Toronto) is an equally stirring set of Advent Responses by an Alan Wilson (non papa), beginning "Send us, O Lord, your saving power."

I'm away with relatives for an extended Thanksgiving holiday, but when I get home on the weekend I should be able to find the booklet from our service of Lessons & Carols and Benediction, which I believe includes the trajectory of the procession.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sacristan&Verger
Apprentice
# 17968

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan&Verger   Email Sacristan&Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You will find much of what you need in 'The promise of His Glory - Services and prayers for the Season from All Saints to Candlemas'. it contains readings, antiphons and an excellent introduction to Advent liturgy. There are a few copies at AbeBooks http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13969941179&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26amp%3Btn%3Dthe%2Bpromise%2Bof%2Bhis%2Bglor y

--------------------
Did I do something wrong today or has the world always been like this and I've been to wrapped up in myself to notice?

Posts: 8 | From: Beside the sea | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might be less of a help than the one above, but here is the Order of Service from King's College: Order of Service.

You should also look at the recordings of the services on the BBC website, even though the strict rubrics aren't there, it is helpful.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, all! Wonderful suggestions and resources!
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

Thank you, all! Wonderful suggestions and resources!
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan&Verger:
You will find much of what you need in 'The promise of His Glory - Services and prayers for the Season from All Saints to Candlemas'. it contains readings, antiphons and an excellent introduction to Advent liturgy. There are a few copies at AbeBooks http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13969941179&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26amp%3Btn%3Dthe%2Bpromise%2Bof%2Bhis%2Bglor y

Or save money and get it online for free in its updated version. (The promise... has been superceded.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Online you will also find, on the Cofe website, Times and Seasons PDF all sorts of useful bits and pieces, freely available and as mentioned in PDF form.

Much has been derived from The Promise of His Glory, with novel and sometimes helpful additions.

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the nostalgic, the text of POHG is available on-line here.

But T+S now has all you really need.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Qoholeth - its good to see you back in Eccles, by the way!
Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Thanks Qoholeth - its good to see you back in Eccles, by the way!

Thanks [Smile] . I've always been here, just nothing to say that someone else hasn't said better already.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016