homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Unlikely twinning

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Unlikely twinning
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mordor twinned with Slough thread title inspired me to ask What unusual twinning of towns are there or should there be.
For instance Walt Disney World in Florida is twinned with Swindon in the UK. This came about through a competition held by Walt Disney World to find a twin town in Britain.
Any other odd twinned towns.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dull (Perthshire, Scotland) is twinned with Boring (Oregon, USA).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the twinning I've seen in Britain has been with towns in France or Germany.

Coventry is actually twinned with no less than 20 other towns, including three other Coventries in the US, a town in China and another in India. It was the first city to be twinned just after the war, when they linked up with Dresden which had similarly been bombed heavily.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During WWII, the town of Bulls in New Zealand sent food parcels to Cowes in the UK.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My town has eight "sister cities", the main one being Sendai, Japan. After the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami destroyed its port and much of the city itself, we sent $1,000,000 from our city coffers and more money raised by citizen volunteers. So happy we could help. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whitwell, an extremely small village in Rutland, is (not very officially) twinned with Paris - at least partly as a result of the efforts of the late lamented TV gardener Geoff Hamilton. One of those ideas that got out of hand, really, it seems.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tenterden on the Kent/Sussex borders is twinned with Avallon in France. It always amuses me when I see the sign as I tend to read it as Avalon . The idea of being twinned with a fictional place makes me giggle [Big Grin]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went to Tenterden on the bus from Fern Cottage last month. Nice place. [Smile]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
isn't there a place in Somerset that's twinned with Ankh-Morpork because Terry Pratchett (or his friend) lives there?

Edit: It's Wincanton

[ 07. October 2014, 11:50: Message edited by: cheesymarzipan ]

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
... when I see the sign as I tend to read it as Avalon . The idea of being twinned with a fictional place makes me giggle ...

It's not as fictional as all that - I live there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, I was wondering, can you think of anywhere that might be amusingly, if obscenely, twinned with Dildo?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
We went to Tenterden on the bus from Fern Cottage last month. Nice place. [Smile]

It is lovely isn't it? [Big Grin]

Piglet, I always thought that you might be the sort of person who would live somewhere fictional. I sort of thought the 100 Acre Wood though [Razz]

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Piglet, I was wondering, can you think of anywhere that might be amusingly, if obscenely, twinned with Dildo?

AG

If Piglet can't come up with anything how about this place

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
piglet: It's not as fictional as all that - I live there. [Big Grin]
But are you real? [Razz]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

AG

Moving from to Orkney Islands to Newfoundland, Piglet should know that Dildo should be twinned with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twatt,_Orkney

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totnes was briefly twinned with Narnia.
Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

That's the one I was thinking she's know, but Beaver will do nicely! [Snigger]

AG

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
piglet: It's not as fictional as all that - I live there. [Big Grin]
But are you real? [Razz]
And Avalon is my neighbor. But I've never seen Piglet there.

[ 07. October 2014, 23:56: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My home town of Preston is twinned with several places including La Rochelle. Oddly enough my wife stayed with a pen friend in La Rochelle when she was younger.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
quote:

AG

Moving from to Orkney Islands to Newfoundland, Piglet should know that Dildo should be twinned with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twatt,_Orkney
That's exactly what I was thinking! [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
isn't there a place in Somerset that's twinned with Ankh-Morpork because Terry Pratchett (or his friend) lives there?

Edit: It's Wincanton

Somerset and Wiltshire (plus bits of Dorset), could easily be twinned with Discworld. Weird little towns abound. Wincanton beat Frome by a short head.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ambridge is twinned with Meyruelle.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a sense of humour like a cesspit!

AG

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a sense of humour like a cesspit!

AG

You and plenty of others... How can we forget a nice little place in Austria that cries out for a twin?

One of my favourite place names is Uncertain in east Texas. There isn't much there, so getting a twin would be a major event if they can find one, though Westminster comes to mind.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
You and plenty of others... How can we forget a nice little place in Austria that cries out for a twin?

Here's a quote from that website
quote:
The village is especially popular with British tourists; as a local tour guide explained: "The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg; the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed; the Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau; but for the British, it's all about Fucking."
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AG

Not worth twinning, given their proximity, but just up the road are Heart's Delight and Heart's Content. This all leads to mild interest in the Bay itself, known as Trinity Bay. There is probably a good reason why this trio of villages is not located on Conception Bay.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How could you be sure that the twinning of Uncertain would actually happen?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I live, Hay-on-Wye, is twinned with Timbuktu.
They chose us - there was a competition, and Hay reached the final along with York and Glastonbury. Then the Mayor of Timbuktu and his entourage came to the UK and visited all three, and they liked us best! There are several links between the two places, the main one being books - even after the recent rebel action in Timbuktu, the city is a depository of an unequalled collection of Islamic books going back to the Middle Ages - it's still a university city, and back before printing every scholar who went there had his books copied for the archives. Hay is also stacked to the gunnels with books, being the first ever secondhand Book Town. There have been several visits in either direction, the most recent here being a Tuareg silversmith who set up his blanket on the pavement outside the shop in Hay that sells the Tuareg jewellery, and the local doctors have recently got a motorbike ambulance to Timbuktu to be used by pregnant women.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Where I live, Hay-on-Wye, is twinned with Timbuktu.

My city in Arizona is also twinned with Timbuktu.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Haworth, West Yorkshire, is famous as the former home town of the writing Brontë sisters (the nearby moors are the setting for Wuthering Heights) is twinned with the even higher and also wuthering Machu Picchu in Peru.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
There is probably a good reason why this trio of villages is not located on Conception Bay.

Indeed there is. Condom.

In other news, my city is twinned with one mentioned here. I'm sure there's a book out there somewhere about someone travelling the world from twin town to twin town, but I can't find it right now.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Haworth, West Yorkshire, is famous as the former home town of the writing Brontë sisters (the nearby moors are the setting for Wuthering Heights) is twinned with the even higher and also wuthering Machu Picchu in Peru.

My Episcopal church in Blacksburg, Virginia is twinned with St. Michael and All Angels Church in Haworth. The rector and his wife came to our church last year, and this year our choir and our rector visited there.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew there was an American city twinned with Timbuktu, Pigwidgeon, but I didn't know where it was. Isn't there a French twin, too?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two in fact, apparently: Saintes and Château-Chinon.

Saintes feels about as remote, albeit in a different way.

[ETA and rats, Eigon, I was in Hay-on-Wye* for lunch this summer. Missed you, though, apparently [Frown] ]

[*informally twinned, I believe, with another "city" of books: Bécherel.]

[ 13. October 2014, 19:35: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

Here's a quote from that website
quote:
The village is especially popular with British tourists; as a local tour guide explained: "The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg; the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed; the Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau; but for the British, it's all about Fucking."
Moo

Which should obviously be twinned with Intercourse, Pennsylvania

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016