homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Ten Commandments, Satan, and Hanuman

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Ten Commandments, Satan, and Hanuman
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd been turning this around in my head for a few days and thought about mentioning it on the interfaith worship/first commandment thread, but it's really a separate (though related) subject.

A few years ago, the state of Oklahoma passed a bill authorizing a Ten Commandments monument on the Capitol grounds, provided it was funded by outside sources, not government money. This private funding was probably done to evade the First Amendment's requirement that the government not endorse or subsidize religion.

At any rate, the end-run around the First Amendment seems to draw on the idea that the state is simply providing a forum in which private individuals can express their religious beliefs. Naturally this kind of invitation won't go unanswered forever.

quote:
The Satanic Temple, a New York City-based religious organization, has offered to donate a monument on behalf of Oklahoma Satanists for display upon the capital grounds
And then other religious groups started expressing an interest in installing displays at the Oklahoma statehouse.

quote:
Hindus are also thinking of erecting a statue of Lord Hanuman if the space is available in the Oklahoma State Capitol grounds in Oklahoma City (USA).

Universal Society of Hinduism is planning to apply to Oklahoma State Capitol Preservation Commission for permission to place a statue of Lord Hanuman in the statehouse grounds and hopes that Commission will approve it.

So the state of Oklahoma is in something of a bind. They have to come up with a reason to accept the Ten Commandments monument and reject the Satanist one that doesn't boil down to "we like Christianity, but don't like Satanism and Hinduism".

If there's a way for Oklahoma to reject the proposed monuments without violating the First Amendment's provision against religious favoritism, I'm not seeing it. At the moment the best I've heard is that the Ten Commandments are "historical" but the proposed monuments are "religious", which seems like a special pleading cop-out. Thoughts?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please note that I am not advocating this, but the natural line of argument is that the ten commandments are legal stuff which happens to have formed a large part of this culture's legal/governmental system. So the Hindu/Satanic/whatsit stuff would be out, though someone wanting to put up a monument to Roman law (the Twelve Tables, was it?) Would be in with a good chance.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Please note that I am not advocating this, but the natural line of argument is that the ten commandments are legal stuff which happens to have formed a large part of this culture's legal/governmental system. So the Hindu/Satanic/whatsit stuff would be out, though someone wanting to put up a monument to Roman law (the Twelve Tables, was it?) Would be in with a good chance.

The thing that makes this argument implausible is the fact that most of the Commandments, if passed as laws in the U.S., would be blatantly unconstitutional. You'd expect more overlap if they were truly "a large part of this culture's legal/governmental system". The only Commandments that would pass constitutional muster are those against murder, theft, and (depending on how "witness" is defined) bearing false witness.

--------------------

hugorune
Apprentice
# 17793

- Posted      Profile for hugorune     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If courthouse staff were arbiters over the original decision, then let them arbitrate on this. Not hard. Common sense would dictate that you dismiss the Satanists' contribution as a wind-up, and maybe consider the Hindu one for display - if there's a large Hindu community in Oklahoma.

If on the other hand the Oklahoma politicians legislated that the courthouse must accept and display those ten commandments if they were privately funded - as I suspect they may have done - then that law would have to apply to both these things as well IMHO. Let the politicians have red faces over it, and either repeal the law or accept the outcome that their pointless and provocative gesture for social conservatism has lead to.

I'm no lawyer and I don't know the background of the case, but that's how I would think this plays out.

Edit: Right... it was a Capitol, not a state courthouse? Well, umm. Not sure who would be in charge. I think most of what I'm trying to say still applies though.

[ 14. December 2013, 04:19: Message edited by: hugorune ]

--------------------
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity

Posts: 47 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the whole thing is hilarious. I hope they have to put up something Muslim, too. [Two face]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by hugorune:
If courthouse staff were arbiters over the original decision, then let them arbitrate on this. Not hard. Common sense would dictate that you dismiss the Satanists' contribution as a wind-up, and maybe consider the Hindu one for display - if there's a large Hindu community in Oklahoma.

Despite my suspicion that the whole Satanist movement is nothing but an elaborate trolling of Christianity, giving the state the power to say "your religion's not really a religion" seems like an incredibly dangerous precedent to just leave lying around.

quote:
Originally posted by hugorune:
If on the other hand the Oklahoma politicians legislated that the [Capitol] must accept and display those ten commandments if they were privately funded - as I suspect they may have done - then that law would have to apply to both these things as well IMHO. Let the politicians have red faces over it, and either repeal the law or accept the outcome that their pointless and provocative gesture for social conservatism has lead to.

You suspect correctly. The whole thing seems to have been the vanity project of Congressman Mike Ritze, abetted by fellow state congressmen and -women who didn't want "Voted Against the Ten Commandments" attack ads to be run against them next election.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Hindu Temple of Oklahoma City there are about 1500 Hindu families involved with that temple. There is also another temple in Tulsa.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

It may be the natural line of argument, but it happens to be completely false--though your point about Roman law is correct. The American legal tradition derives from British common law, which is Anglo-Saxon law (thoroughly pagan) with an overlay of Roman (pagan with a Greco-Christian overlay). Jewish law really doesn't figure into it in in any significant way.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
If there's a way for Oklahoma to reject the proposed monuments without violating the First Amendment's provision against religious favoritism, I'm not seeing it. At the moment the best I've heard is that the Ten Commandments are "historical" but the proposed monuments are "religious", which seems like a special pleading cop-out. Thoughts?

American law is based on the Ten Commandments: That makes it historical. That's the only reason I can think of, but they'll have a hard time trying to convince anyone.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I think the whole thing is hilarious. I hope they have to put up something Muslim, too.

Me too! let 'em all in - it'll be quite a carnival!
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deciding that other peoples religions are unimportant or a windup would certainly violate the first amendment. That's why the "any religion can put a monument up, but we've only heard from the 10 commandment people so far" rule was established.

It is funny. I suspect an Islamic monument would irritate as many people as the Satanists. I've always considered most Satanic cults as an odd form of Christianity although I suppose there are Islamic versions.

Extra chuckles if the Viking Pagans show up. It's not that far from Minnesota...

In the end they'll try to fudge it and if that fails remove all of them.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the feet of clay I'm worried about!
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the Ten Commandments cover Islam and Judaism as well? So no need for then to have a separate one.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on folks - you are just not constructive enough. Let it rip already! This has the makings of a fine theme-park. Bring on the stele of Hammurabi, the whatsit cylinder and all that other Akkadian stuff the archaeologist dudes have dug up. I'm sure it could be monetized in due course - for a paltry $2000/hr, you could retain a lawyer to give you a guided tour. Start off in the temple of Mammon.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm all for the statue of Hanuman but I'd leave the Satanists out, on the grounds that that is one "religion" I really feel quite confident saying isn't a religion. But, as someone said above, it's hard to get away with stating that publicly as a reason. Surely the rule for any religious display in a public space has to be either allow all or allow none.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The place could become like those accommodating temples in Hong Kong where you have Buddhas, Confucian sages, shrines to the Ancestors - you pays your money and you burns your joss.

In fact, you could ask visitors to complete a questionnaire on their DSLs (Deity Satisfaction Levels) based on the various objects of veneration available.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Satanism is different to Satan-worship. Satanism is basically ritualised Libertarianism.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me as one who doubts whether satanism actually exists, except as an expression of teenage angst or as a way to pull a stunt against Christianity.

[ 14. December 2013, 15:37: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Count me as one who doubts whether satanism actually exists, except as an expression of teenage angst or as a way to pull a stunt against Christianity.

I believe in the sociological literature, the term "self-styled practitioner" is used to describe those who cook up their own satanic theology and rituals, with the deliberate purpose of being anti-Christian.

That said, this academic from my old university believes that at least some reports of Satanism involve people who really believe that the oppositional forces described in the Bible etc can grant them wealth and power. Basically, according to him, these are people who read scripture, and somehow determine that Satan must be more powerful than God.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This particular Satanist group seems to have as its raison d'etre using this country's permissive definition of what constitutes a religion to protest both violations of the separation of Church and state and also to protest anti-gay fundamentalist religious performance art (like that of the Westboro Baptist Church) with their own anti-anti-gay religious performance art. In fact, their primary target so far has been the Westboro Baptist Church (of "God Hates Fags" and protesting the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq/Afghanistan because they believe their death was God's judgment against a country that tolerates homosexuality). The things they have done include:

-Holding and filming for YouTube a Satanist "pink mass" outside the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters.

-Performing and filming for YouTube a ritual over the actual grave of the mother (or grandmother?) of the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church in order to "convert" her soul to homosexuality in the afterlife (there was plenty of girl-on-girl kissing in the video) - they said that her soul would be happy and sexually satisfied as a lesbian. (I don't think the members of this Satanist group actually believe anyone can convert or be converted to homosexuality.)

Like Stephen Colbert, they don't seem to ever go out of character (although Colbert has occasionally), so if you're not in on the joke you're not likely to get it. That means that, based on this country's standards, it would be hard to prove that they are not a religion. I think that if you are going to allow religious displays on government property, you need to allow everything, even submissions from religions founded only to protest the influence of religion on government.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking of other religions that should put up a monument on the Oklahoma state capital grounds. Other than another monument to gross ethnocentric half witted triumphalism, that is.

Quetzalcoatl comes to mind because my other choice is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.*

Think of it. To Heck with that candy ass interactive satanist stuff. The State Capital grounds could have dogfights between Quetzalcoatl and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What fun for the kids.

________
*Seen here going Christmas shopping.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would an animated scene involving St. Paul's dissertation on the Unknown God cover the whole thing?

At least, Saul/Paul would do for Judaism and Christianity, and the Athenians could stand in for "the rest".

Maybe a Stonehenge would be needed for the older pagan groups.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city of San Jose, California already has a statue of Quetzalcoatl in place, on city property. See it in all of it's glory. Unfortunately it looks like something a careless dog owner would leave behind. There have been times when some will leave flower offerings to it. It did spark a lawsuit, on the grounds of separation of church and state, which didn't go anywhere.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in a nearby state that is only slightly less nuts than Oklahoma, I find this quite amusing. I am hoping that there will be a lot other religious groups that choose to take advantage of this law. That is the only way we are going to get these crazy laws over turned.

I want to see Catholics erecting statues of St. Ives patron saint of lawyers. And the Orthodox an icon of of St. Gregory the Wonderworker . The Moslems could erect something. Oklahoma's huge Native American population could have each tribe submit a monument for each of their tribal religions. And so on, and so forth. And don't forget the atheists and humanists! They get their fair share of space as well. Actually, this whole thing could turn out to be quite interesting. LOL

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
Living in a nearby state that is only slightly less nuts than Oklahoma, I find this quite amusing. I am hoping that there will be a lot other religious groups that choose to take advantage of this law. That is the only way we are going to get these crazy laws over turned.

If all groups claiming religious status can erect monuments on Capitol grounds, there are no, er, grounds for overturning the law, except for the fact that some religious codes forbid the making of images of any living thing.

Note that Islam generally decorates its places of worship with Qu'ranic (where the heck does that apostrophe go?!) texts and geometrical designs for this reason. Such groups may be unable to participate in the forthcoming monumental-free-for-all on equal footing with the rest as a result. The whole thing's a Perpetual Employment Act for Lawyers.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way we will get these laws over turned is by non-christian and non-right kind of christian groups being given the right to place memorials such as this in the public square. When these evangelical (as most of these folks are) nut cases see that they have to accommodate other groups they don't care for, they will back off. There is no way in hell they want to see these other organizations put on the same ground as themselves. They want the world to see what special little snowflakes they are. When they don't get that, they will abandon this battleground and seek another one.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
The city of San Jose, California already has a statue of Quetzalcoatl in place, on city property. See it in all of it's glory. Unfortunately it looks like something a careless dog owner would leave behind. There have been times when some will leave flower offerings to it. It did spark a lawsuit, on the grounds of separation of church and state, which didn't go anywhere.

You beat me to it! I was living in the Bay Area at the time it was initially discussed, and the "no idols" brigade was in full fettle. Once they saw the... ah... leavings, they quickly faded away.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The atheists have already done their thing in Florida. I found this when searching for Zilchmas fare.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All further monuments on the Oklahoma Capitol Grounds are suspended pending the outcome of litigation challenging the Ten Commandments monument (stall tactic...).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/oklahoma-satanist-monument_n_4476533.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

As for Florida, atheists and the flying spaghetti monster all got their monuments but not the Satanist Temple. It was "grossly offensive." I look forward to this court case.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-19/news/os-satanists-florida-capitol-holiday-20131218_1_proposed-display-christia n-nativity-dms

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonder which version of the Ten Commandments they have up. KJV? Hebrew? Orthodox, RC and Lutheran? Exodus or Deuteronomy? Coverdale's? Murder or kill?

But they don't mean it, do they? Do they really want to stone rebellious teens and those who break the Sabbath, not to mention those who swear!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Click here to see a sketch of the proposed Satanist monument.

quote:
The Satanic Temple, a religious group based in New York City, on Monday unveiled their design for a monument they hope to erect at the Oklahoma Statehouse.

The 7-foot-tall monument would include a goat-headed Baphomet figure sitting cross-legged on a stone slab, flanked by two smiling children. The monument would also include quotes from poets Lord Byron and William Blake.

“The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond. The statue will serve as a beacon calling for compassion and empathy among all living creatures. The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation,” spokesman Lucien Greaves explained.

<snip>

“Our monument celebrates an unwavering respect for the Constitutional values of religious freedom and free expression,” Greaves explained. “Satanism is a fundamental component at the genesis of American liberty. Medieval witch-hunts taught us to adopt presumption of innocence, secular law, and a more substantive burden of proof.

“Today, we are rightly offended by the notion of blasphemy laws and divine fiats. Acknowledging wrongful persecutions has helped shape the legal system that preserves the sovereignty of our skeptics, heretics, and the misunderstood. It has shaped a proud culture of tolerance and free inquiry. This is to be a historical marker commemorating the scapegoats, the marginalized, the demonized minority, and the unjustly outcast.”

Seems about as legitimate an understanding of American history as the Christian nation folks.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016