homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hey deano, why don't you despise me for something I've said?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hey deano, why don't you despise me for something I've said?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than something I haven't? Something I wouldn't. Ever.

Your apology is accepted.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, what the fuck are you on about? give us a link, at least. at the minimum some context. You talk so much shit it's hard to narrow it down.

same could be said for deano, really. So what are we upset about this time?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is asking a lot, But could you be a bit less opaque. Please?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If (and I know this is an if) this stems from your other Hell thread, you could have just kept it on your other Hell thread.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know there are only 362 shopping days until Christmas.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It ain't nuthin ter do with my other Hell thread but is to do with another Hell thread.

deano accuses me of denying Christianity to soldiers and despises me for it.

A straw man on his part he's deluded himself in to believing based on my belated pacifist conversion.

I had bad mouthed him for his obscene anti-Christian politics which not so long ago I'd have been applauding or rather condemning as being too charitable.

If he wants to quote me, prove me a liar and/or swivel eyed loon from my own words here, he's welcome.

But he won't.

Neither will he have the courage to admit he's wrong and apologize.

THAT I despise.

God forgive me.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link

Martin,

Insults are just insults. Shit was being flung all around on that thread. You caught a little, and it was not worth wasting your time being upset about it.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
It ain't nuthin ter do with my other Hell thread but is to do with another Hell thread.

Okay, noted. I still think you could have carried on the fight right there. Hell threads (like other threads) frequently divert from their original course.

But, if you DO create a new thread in the future, please provide a link to the original source of conflict so that everyone else knows what you're talking about.

orfeo
Hellhost

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Sir.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What continues to sadden me is that a man accuses me of an evil thing, despises me for it and runs away.

If I were guilty of the evil of denying the Christianity of those who serve by taking up arms, I could understand someone being so depressed by that that they curse me and leave.

I can only assume I gave that impression, if only to deano with whatever he brought to the party.

If anyone else got that, please say.

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin,

We seem to have more than our usual quota of no-shows. It must be the time of year.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re OP I don't really know who said what .

However my observations of deano is that he's like a recurring bout of the trotts .
Someone occasionally offering relief in the form of enlightening erudite posts . Whereas more often likely to come out with pan-worthy shite characterising someone who appears to enjoy being a pain in the arse.

Certainly not a personality I would consider worth getting depressed over Martin.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rather than something I haven't? Something I wouldn't. Ever.

Your apology is accepted.

Well no. I offer you no apologies except including you in a general one for my absence over Christmas and the New Year. Before Christmas, with two kids, it was as hectic as you imagine and I didn’t have the time. I thought I’d be around to post after Christmas, but on Christmas morning we found my 87 year old dementia and Alzheimer suffering Mother-In-Law on her kitchen floor. She had picked up an infection and that had caused her to become disoriented and she fell over sometime over the night. She was taken to hospital and was there for two days, when she stood up (a fall risk with no monitoring!) fell over again on the ward and broke her hip. She was operated on New Year’s eve and is recovering but very, very confused. So again, I just haven’t had the time to post.

Anyhoo, let us not dwell on my family problems but let us return to the matter in hand. Let’s take a look at this thread here shall we Martin…

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000914;p=6#000258

And read on for a few pages. Specifically let’s extract the following couple of gems…

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
No Martin, I clearly said it was for clarification. If you felt my understanding of your position was wrong why did you noty just explain it?

But I am at a loss, I must confess, as you confirm readily that a Christian must be a pacifist.

If I post to say I disagree with you that pacifism is always correct, that MUST make me a non-pacifist, surely?

And if I am a non-pacifist, by your first premise, according to you I cannot be a Christian.

I am just trying to understand here. It seems to me that it is you making some very fine distinctions here.

I suppose I'm trying to get you to confirm that anyone who does not accept pacifism as wholeheartedly as you cannot - in your opinion - be a Christian.

Can you confirm or deny that, with a reasonable description of the thinking behind it please, so that someone who lives in woodwork can understand it?

And…

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I'm just wondering who is going to tell all those soldiers, sailor and airmen who thought they were Christians and who fought in Normandy, Bastogne, Arnhem, Burma, India, Iwo Jima etc, that, sorry boys, but you aren't Christians.

Of course, I'm sure that they thought that, by serving and sacrificing, they were taking up their crosses. But if you want to tell them that they are not Christians, go ahead.

Followed tellingly by this…

quote:
You understand just fine deano. I don't play the foundationalist game any more. Christians ran Auschwitz. Christians were in the air crews over Hiroshima and Nagasaki and Hamburg and Dresden. Christians are the greatest warmongers in 2000 years bar none. Christians hit Omaha Beach and were mown down by Christians. Just like on the Somme. At Ladysmith, Gettysburg. Waterloo. Agincourt. The Milvian Bridge. Jerusalem. Find me an exception.

And like most Christians, aren't very. Whilst being noble, brave, self-sacrificial killing in or against the name of Caesar.

All because 'real' Christians, Christian leaders were nowhere to be seen or heard.

Apart from scattered across occupied Europe of course. Conspicuous by their witness. The Greek for which is what?

It’s an interesting thread to read through, and also the spin off Hell thread that I was the beneficiary of. They both contain a number of wonderful quotes from not just ol’ Martin the Confused, but also No Point, as well as a display of a remarkable grasp of history by Fool on a Hill and a stunning approach to book reviewing by Fletcher Christian (don’t read the book before reviewing!)

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm sorry for your horrendous Xmas.

We're not allowed in my 83 year old mother's house, 30 miles away. So she drives to stay ...

One of these days she's going to make headlines on the A5.

I can always respond on the thread I suppose, I have no appetite for doing so at this juncture.

Happy New Year deano

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Okayyyyyy. I take full responsibility for leaving you, deano, with the impression that I don't regard Christian soldiers as Christian.

I do.

I'm not critical of them.

But of Christianity. It has failed them. WE have failed them. That's where I was and am coming from.

And I failed you.

And I'm sorry.

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016