homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » YECs - to debate or not? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: YECs - to debate or not?
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill Nye "The Science Guy" is going to have a debate with Ken Ham on the subject of evolution and creationism. Nye presumably hopes to introduce a large, science-shaped cluebat to the heads of a few YECs in the audience, but the AiG article reads as if this debate is exactly what they want to raise the profile of their nutty ideas. It's worth noting that Ham has refused to debate with many other people in the past, but that could conceivably admit more than one explanation.

I've set out my concerns in detail on my blog, but in summary:

• Science is a matter of painstaking investigation, not a quick chat. If Ham thinks the evidence supports his views, he's welcome to publish peer-reviewed research
  • A debate only reliably shows who has the snappier soundbites or sounds convincing, and as Duane Gish demonstrated, a total absence of evidence is no hindrance in that department
  • Apart from being the wrong medium for the exchange of views, this risks giving YECs an aura of credibility and respectability
  • Between Ham's blather, Confirmation Bias and the Backfire Effect, any YECs in the audience are likely to end up more certain of their position than they were before
I can see arguments in favour as well - taking on known lies, bringing proper science to people who've been indoctrinated to this point, showing that we're not running scared - but they all rely on other people to act rationally, and they don't explain why this has to be done in the form of a debate, which is a poor way of conducting science, even without the involvement of a YEC who considers reality to be a liberal conspiracy.

In this particular case or any other, is there any point in debating like this, or is it just playing into the YECs' hands?

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've given up all engagement with YECism; it's utterly pointless. It's only when my FFS level overcomes my better judgement that I find myself addressing their codswallop.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, that it's pointless. Also, a skillful debater can produce a kind of illusion of cleverness and knowledge, and the Gish Gallop technique can do this.

Scientific research does not proceed in this manner. If creationists have something serious to present, then do it via peer-reviewed publication.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The footsoldiers are amenable, sometimes. The generals, never - they have too much at stake to ever let their guard down in public.

Private conversations are much better than in the glare of the TV cameras.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I agree, that it's pointless. Also, a skillful debater can produce a kind of illusion of cleverness and knowledge, and the Gish Gallop technique can do this.

In fact, even this isn't strictly necessary. Experimental evidence has shown repeatedly that a single pithy claim sticks better in the mind and is more persuasive than a detailed debunking of that same claim. All any YEC has to to is regurgitate some old PRATT about the benefit of half an eye or half a wing, and he'll probably be considered to have won even after his arguments have been reduced to smouldering rubble.

I think Doc Tor has the right idea, in engaging on a different level. Debates like this signal confrontation, making it a matter of identity, and entrenching positions. Even the audience will roll up wanting to have their existing position bolstered. But if a small concession by a single person can be sneaked through on a more friendly level, that's something that can be built on, until the cognitive dissonance reaches uncomfortable levels. Maybe.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
In this particular case or any other, is there any point in debating like this, or is it just playing into the YECs' hands?

Hmm, tough question, Mr Gumby! I agree with you that the debate format is not great for detailed consideration of scientific ideas but then if scientists refuse to engage in this kind of way, they're accused of running scared and not having the courage of their convictions.

Maybe a back-and-forth in writing would be more helpful, so the use of rhetorical techniques (which most scientists would shun, at least I assume!) is minimised and there might be a more measured examination of the various claims made (made by both sides).

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Debates in writing on this topic result in the C. side producing a series of assertions, each one line long, which each take several paragraphs or more to properly examine and answer. In other words, the Gish Gallop translates easily into writing.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Debates in writing on this topic result in the C. side producing a series of assertions, each one line long, which each take several paragraphs or more to properly examine and answer. In other words, the Gish Gallop translates easily into writing.

But at least in writing you can provide links or point people towards more detailed material on the various issues, to show that there are rebuttals for each of the one-line assertions. Then each reader can check out the further details on the issues that trouble them, and skip over the issues they're not fussed about.

Whereas in a debate, if someone gives a series of one-liners, you might be struck by just one or two of them but still then be left with doubts if those specific points aren't addressed properly.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think in writing, many creationist claims fall apart. For example, I have taken part in discussions on their use of 'kind', which seems to mean variously species, genus, family, and who knows what else, but it was quite clear that the creationist side were equivocating like mad. But in a spoken debate, they can move on quickly to something else, and appear to have escaped criticism.

But it's peer-reviewed material which really counts, and I know that some creationists have a kind of conspiracy theory here, that their work is not accepted in scientific journals. Well, yes, there are good reasons for that, namely that they don't follow standard scientific methods.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never met a real-life YEC.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I'm American and was taught in Sunday School at the "Bible-based" conservative church my family attended, that dinosaur fossils were placed by God as a test to our faith.

I never believed it myself and even as a child that struck me as making absolutely no sense at all.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
But at least in writing you can provide links or point people towards more detailed material on the various issues, to show that there are rebuttals for each of the one-line assertions. Then each reader can check out the further details on the issues that trouble them, and skip over the issues they're not fussed about.

ISTM, the Internet proves writing is not inherently more effective.
The best public debate setting is having a limited scope and a good moderator.
But really, you can drain Loch Ness but the Monster will still be seen.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, the internet produces some exotic stuff, as it has enabled every amateur and hobbyist in the world to vent their stuff, whereas before they would have written furious scrawls in green ink. See all the conspiracy theories on-line.

Well, this is also OK, democracy in action. But groups like creationists have taken to the internet like ducks to water, since they can produce reams of nonsense, with no constraints. Think of an echo-chamber.

Hence, back to peer-reviewed publications in serious journals - that is the way to go.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Whereas in a debate, if someone gives a series of one-liners, you might be struck by just one or two of them but still then be left with doubts if those specific points aren't addressed properly.

And yet, a nonsensical one-line claim is far more effective and persuasive than the detailed and accurate rebuttal. It's true in text or speech. And then there's the magic reset button beloved of all kinds of internet quacks and loonies - the one they press once you move onto a different topic, to restore factory settings for their particular flavour of nuttiness. Then before you know it, you're back at square one.

If they think a scientific theory is flawed, they're welcome to provide peer-reviewed evidence to support that belief. That's fundamental to how science works. Once they've done that, just demonstrating the vaguest glimmer of genuine controversy, maybe there might be something worth debating. Until then, engaging like this only seems to benefit one side.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, it always reminds me of the old joke about wrestling with a pig - you end up covered in shit, and the pig loves it. (From Shaw I think).

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And this particular pig will indeed love being in the limelight.

A major goal of the YEC movement -- especially in its highly politicized variants in the USA -- is precisely to have their ideas debated on equal terms in a scientific arena. This is clear in those states where there is pressure to include creationism in textbooks as a valid, scientifically plausible alternative to science itself.

I assume that there are people who actually believe this stuff. It's the political agenda (in the US; perhaps not elsewhere) that disturbs me most, however.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After seeing Bill Nye's stint on Dancing with the Stars, I've come to suspect he is an attention whore. I'm not at all certain he is trying to convince anyone who isn't already convinced--I'm rather suspicious he's doing it for the attention.

That means both sides will get what they want out of this fiasco, but neither the cause of science nor the cause of religion will be helped.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there is a fundamental issue at the heart of the peer review process, in the sense that even if there was some truth in Young Earth Creationism it is very unlikely that anything of that ilk would get published in a reputable journal. Of course, most scientists will accept this is because the creationists are incapable of stringing an argument together which makes sense.

But there is a deeper argument - if there is a mountain of study, and argument built up, you're going to need a mountain of argument to knock it down - which is very unlikely to ever happen on the fundamental level at which the creationists disagree with the scientists.

Also I suspect the journal editors are quite adept at rather rapidly deleting papers from the usual suspects before they even get sent to reviewers. There is an inbuilt inertia within them to utterly outrageous ideas which aim to overthrow their very existence.

But then the creationists know even this, and will obviously portray this as bias against the truth. So the scientists can't possibly win.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think it's simpler than that: creationism isn't scientific.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, some people aren't either.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This will be one of those non-events which allows everyone to feel superior without changing a single mind. It's really just mental masturbation.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl

And, strictly speaking, neither is the entirely naturalistic explanation for life and the universe.

If the only admissible theory has to conform a priori to the philosophy of naturalism, then it follows that such a theory is ipso facto unfalsifiable. Ergo unscientific.

There is no reason why the universe cannot be dependent on dimensions of reality, which transcend empirical investigation. QM implies this, after all.

Of course, that is not YEC, but it certainly gives credence to ID in general terms.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl

And, strictly speaking, neither is the entirely naturalistic explanation for life and the universe.

If the only admissible theory has to conform a priori to the philosophy of naturalism, then it follows that such a theory is ipso facto unfalsifiable. Ergo unscientific.

There is no reason why the universe cannot be dependent on dimensions of reality, which transcend empirical investigation. QM implies this, after all.

Of course, that is not YEC, but it certainly gives credence to ID in general terms.

Scientific work does not conform to the philosophy of naturalism, but the methodology of naturalism. That is, it observes and describes nature, but does not proclaim, 'there is only nature'.

This is a common source of confusion, for some reason; but for example, scientism is not a scientific argument, but a philosophical one, as is also scientific realism.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

A coincidental, but sadly related, article.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
I think there is a fundamental issue at the heart of the peer review process, in the sense that even if there was some truth in Young Earth Creationism it is very unlikely that anything of that ilk would get published in a reputable journal. ...

But there is a deeper argument - if there is a mountain of study, and argument built up, you're going to need a mountain of argument to knock it down - which is very unlikely to ever happen on the fundamental level at which the creationists disagree with the scientists.

Actually I think you'll find that the biggest issue is one of scope. The vast majority of journals have a very narrow scope, they publish articles in one, usually small, part of science. In addition, journal articles are short, they address one particular point, identify a problem somewhere or present data that helps to explain something. So, a YECcie could write a good paper giving evidence why a particular fossil is something different from what it had been described as and an appropriate journal would accept it. But, the editors and referees would take a conclusion that "therefore the entire process of identifying fossils in evolutionary sequences is flawed" as going beyond the evidence presented in the paper supports. An approach that would work, if the evidence supported it, would be to publish a sequence of papers identifying flaws in fossil identification. When several such papers are produced then a review article drawing broader conclusions could be written and if the cumulative effect of the prior publications is sufficient to support a scientifically controversial conclusion the paper should be published - although the peer-review process would then kick-in in full force with a flurry of articles in response, new work to try to demonstrate this controversial conclusion is wrong etc.

Of course, I don't for a second believe any YECcies could write such a review article, because I don't believe that they can create enough examples of problems that they can undermine the theory of evolution. But, in principle at least, they could identify particular problems with some parts of accepted science, and get their work examining such issues published.

quote:
Also I suspect the journal editors are quite adept at rather rapidly deleting papers from the usual suspects before they even get sent to reviewers.
Having been asked to review some really awful work, I'm not so confident of the ability of editors. Most I suspect don't even necessarily read the papers that cross their desk, a quick skim of key-words and maybe the abstract and cross-reference the apparent subject with potential referees ... and when the authors suggest referees anyway, well, that's an easy place to start.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you explained that better than I could, Alan.

And you are right, there is a lot of rubbish which gets sent to reviewers, and unfortunately a lot of rubbish which eventually gets published - some of which is later retracted.

I still think that papers sent by Ken Ham and his mates are almost inevitably going to immediately line the bin of any serious journal editor.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

I still think that papers sent by Ken Ham and his mates are almost inevitably going to immediately line the bin of any serious journal editor.

The most polite reply I can think of is The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You're lucky.
One who turned up and derailed a Darwin centenary lecture day at Darwin College Canterbury, whom I had met while running a school chess club.
One doing Science 101 at summer school with the OU - "I will give the answers I need to pass" (Actually, one of the tutors might have been, as well.)
One who turns up at nearly all the folk clubs I have tried, and sings about Piltdown as though it disproves something.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
One who turns up at nearly all the folk clubs I have tried, and sings about Piltdown as though it disproves something.

Well, it could. Singing about Piltdown could disprove the "I have a handle on reality" hypothesis!

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
I'm American and was taught in Sunday School at the "Bible-based" conservative church my family attended, that dinosaur fossils were placed by God as a test to our faith.

I never believed it myself and even as a child that struck me as making absolutely no sense at all.

And here I thought God kills babies, created despicable diseases, and like famines and death by starvation as tests of faith, but really all it took was dino fossils.

Of course I am one of the school of thought that thought nipples on men and misplaced clitori (or is the plural clitorises?) was the proof: Link to pdf "Male Nipples and Clitoral Ripples, by Stephen Jay Gould, 1991

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
And you are right, there is a lot of rubbish which gets sent to reviewers, and unfortunately a lot of rubbish which eventually gets published - some of which is later retracted.

Publication and retraction is still part of peer-review. It's a mistake to limit peer-review to just the anonymous (supposedly - though in a small field it's often easy to identify who the referees are) review of journal articles. There is review of research proposals even before the work starts. There is discussion of preliminary results with colleagues. There are conference presentations and subsequent questioning (great for pre-empting what a journal reviewer will ask!). Then after publication there's work that cites the article (or, not - an uncited paper says a lot about what your peers think of it!).

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:

You're lucky.
One who turned up and derailed a Darwin centenary lecture day at Darwin College Canterbury, whom I had met while running a school chess club.
One doing Science 101 at summer school with the OU - "I will give the answers I need to pass" (Actually, one of the tutors might have been, as well.)

Heh. Every folk club seems to have someone like that. Ours (mostly people somewhere to the left of Leon Rosselson*) has one guy who mostly sings completely incomprehensible songs he thinks are philosophical, and occasionally something completely reactionary. You could have cut the air with a knife after his four minute musical exposition of why domestic violence is usually the woman's fault, coming hot on the heels of his song about how 30 year old teachers should be allowed to run off with their 15 year old pupils. No-one knew where to look.

Somehow I get away with the occasional Martyn Joseph.

*For those who don't know, he makes Billy Bragg sound like the Daily Heil.

[/Tangent]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:

And here I thought God kills babies, created despicable diseases, and like famines and death by starvation as tests of faith, but really all it took was dino fossils.

Of course I am one of the school of thought that thought nipples on men and misplaced clitori (or is the plural clitorises?) was the proof: Link to pdf "Male Nipples and Clitoral Ripples, by Stephen Jay Gould, 1991

This is of course the basic problem with ID. Because "goddidit" can explain anything, it actually explains bugger all. There is no observation that you couldn't put down to the inscrutability of a free intelligent creator, although some raise eyebrows (I wouldn't, personally, have made the airway and the alimentary canal cross each other and require a sort of traffic light controlled junction, unless I needed to be able to make people choke and die), so by the same token there's no observation that can make you say "Ah! There must be an intelligent creator!", because any observation is compatible with said creator.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, our guy is actually nice as a person, and does good things, so after an attempt to argue, and pointing out that his song would work better if he omitted the works of Charles Dawson, I withdrew. I did continue on a website, but he is deep in the YEC bubble, and unreachable.
Shipmate
# 76

Many Creationists are hosts for Morton's Demon (qv)

I got nearly banned from another forum for mentioning Morton's Demon - point thoroughly missed by the mods who thought I was accusing another member of being demon-possessed [Roll Eyes]

Projection, I call it.

Years later, a few months ago, I paid another visit. A few new faces on the creationist side, a few new scientists, but the same old arguments.

[ 08. January 2014, 21:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Individual interaction on a one to one level with YECs can work reasonably well, IME. The idea that you can have a staged debate between truth and falsity in which truth will win out is an illusion stubbornly adhered to by Anglo-Saxon peoples with about the same amount of empirical underpinning as YEC.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for that - I have just spent a few minutes looking that demon up on Wikipedia. My local victim accused me of having been educated only to see what supported evolution. He did acknowledge that I could say the same, in reverse, of him. (I suggested he went and studied the rather nice turbidites outside M&S in the shopping centre, and contemplate the purity of the Chalk outside, and the depth of it, and the hardgrounds and the burrowing heart urchins, but I doubt he did.)
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I know someone who is, for the most part, an entirely sensible, rational human being, who nevertheless firmly believes that man really did walk with the dinosaurs.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Karl wrote:

This is of course the basic problem with ID. Because "goddidit" can explain anything, it actually explains bugger all. There is no observation that you couldn't put down to the inscrutability of a free intelligent creator, although some raise eyebrows (I wouldn't, personally, have made the airway and the alimentary canal cross each other and require a sort of traffic light controlled junction, unless I needed to be able to make people choke and die), so by the same token there's no observation that can make you say "Ah! There must be an intelligent creator!", because any observation is compatible with said creator.

Yes, exactly right. There are no constraints.

I remember asking a creationist about island species, which often tend to be unusual or different from the mainland, and I asked him how he thought this arose, and he said, 'Because it pleased God to do so'.

Yes, brilliant. But here there are absolutely no limits. In a sense, God seems to be arbitrary or capricious in this view.

Whereas evolutionary theory would explain island species in terms of geographical isolation - see for example, Darwin's finches.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
There are no constraints.

Bingo.
YEC is functionally no different to Bigfoot, Ancient Aliens or Government Conspiracies.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, the point of debate rarely has much to do with the debaters; it's the audience that matters.

Assuming a bell curve of spectators/auditors taking in this debate, there will be the usual unswayables at each end of the curve, and a bubble in the middle. Some in the bubble may be persuadable -- though I wouldn't take any bets on which side they'll buy into.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Yes, but the perception of who "wins" a debate is based more on perception than the validity of statement. So your bubble people may be swayed by other than real information.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I know a few - sadly they are the leading lights in the youth work in church - total stranglehold over it

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first argument when addressing real life creationists is: "does God lie?" and pointing out that creating a world that appeared to every conceivable observation to be older than it is, would be a lie given solid form. I've rarely had a coherent response to that one, and it has the advantage of approaching the question from a theological point rather than purely scientific.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which is not the right approach, IMHO.

There's a real danger in dismissing any and every paper just because of its source, or because you think that it's part of some wider agenda that you don't agree with. A paper on a particular issue may in fact turn out to be RIGHT on that particular issue.

The reason I say this is partly because of a couple of fairly infamous examples within the scientific community of people being dismissed purely and simply because what they had to say didn't fit with preconceived notions. The example I'm most familiar with is from this part of the world, as everyone 'knew' that stomach ulcers were caused by stress right up to the point that an Australian scientist proved that a bacteria caused it by infecting himself.

Another possible example is the controversy around the work of the anthropologist Derek Freeman, although it seems in that case that the controversy still isn't resolved and people still can't agree whether Freeman was right or Margaret Mead was right about adolescence in Samoa.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

orfeo, that was (in a round-about way) the point I was making. There is an inbuilt inertia to radical ideas in the peer-review system.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, that inbuilt inertia is part of the strength of science. If it gets to the point that no new idea gets published science stops. But, at the other extreme if every new idea gets published without the constraint of community inertia then we all flit every which way and lose the foundations of the community built up over centuries. Of course, sometimes new ideas result in a radical shift in the community consensus ... in philosophy of science that's called a paradigm shift.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

I think it can accurately be described as both a strength and a weakness of the system.

It is very difficult to get your paper published in a reputable science journal unless you are working in an established research institute. Which in some ways is totally understandable - it is very unlikely that someone is going to do cutting edge microbiology in a garage at home.

But then not all science is like this. It is not inconceivable that someone could find out something interesting/important in a garage that would be immediately rejected by all reputable editors. I can't speak to academic journals in other areas of study.

The system is based on a large degree of trust between peers. And this does work - because by its very nature, scientific study does usually build on the work of others, so we have new papers that constantly refine the idea of others. But that also means that a massive amount of effort is needed for the type of paradigm shift (on the most fundamental level at which the creationists are actually talking, we're basically meaning overturning 200 years of science in geology, never mind everything else). I think that is functionally impossible, even if it could be proven that the 200 years of science was wrong. It is actually easier to believe in the structures we have than attempt to rethink the whole science.

Of course, I don't actually think there is any need to rethink the whole science. But as a philosophical point, that level of paradigm shift is very difficult to conceive.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
My first argument when addressing real life creationists is: "does God lie?" and pointing out that creating a world that appeared to every conceivable observation to be older than it is, would be a lie given solid form. I've rarely had a coherent response to that one, and it has the advantage of approaching the question from a theological point rather than purely scientific.

Or, as Karl has pointed out, the argument that God is a poor designer is an interesting one, easily demonstrated via the human body.

Rather naughtily, I sometimes recommend them to read 'Your Inner Fish' (Shubin), which shows how like fish humans are; this often elicits the argument from incredulity - we can't be like fish!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, I don't actually think there is any need to rethink the whole science. But as a philosophical point, that level of paradigm shift is very difficult to conceive.

You mean, like the transition from classical physics to quantum physics, or classical astronomy to general relativity?

The fact is, we've already done it. Not painlessly - plenty of careers foundered - but it was still done.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016