homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dead Horses - Hosting Changes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dead Horses - Hosting Changes
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This month TonyK hits the psalmist's age of man - 3 score and ten - and feels that it is time to step down from hosting Dead Horses.

TonyK is one of our longest serving Hosts. He has held the post of Dead Horses Host since May 2002. Before taking that role on, TonyK hosted various boards behind the scenes, including the Gods (the old Host & Admin Board) and also held a “roving commission” and was transferred, often at short notice, to cover Boards where a sudden Host shortage had occurred.

Thank you doesn’t even begin to cover the debt the Ship owes TonyK for his long and faithful service, good humoured and laid back Hosting style and general wisdom and common sense. But it’s a start … Please use this thread to raise a glass to toast TonyK and help him celebrate his retirement from day to day Hosting.

Barnabas62 and John Holding are taking over the reigns (sorry!) in Dead Horses alongside Louise, but will also continue in their current Hosting roles.

Tubbs
Admin

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
12 years hosting Dead Horses is something quite special and takes, I guess, someone special to do it for that long. So, although I rarely post there (or on these types of threads [Hot and Hormonal] ), thanks TonyK and enjoy your more-than-well-earned retirement from hosting duties!

And all the best (and [Votive] ) to Barnabas and John Holding as they take this on as well as their other duties: I'm sure they'll be much more than adequate replacements for Tony.

(This is why I never post on these threads - I'm rubbish at it!)

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TonyK. I cannot seem to make make my keyboard express the quantity and quality of gratitude I feel for your tireless and temperate service. It feels like digging out one of the cornerstones of the Hosts board.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Twelve years a host" -- didn't they make a movie about that recently?

I'm not a dead horses regular by any stretch, but kudos and thanks to anyone who can put in that much service for the ship!

As a matter of trivia interest, does he have the record for the longest time hosting without the admin-selector bunny pooping on his square?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TonyK is absolutely a top bloke. He has been a fantastic host. My abiding recollection is his good humoured responses to my suggestions that he should punt the homosexuality thread to the Circus during a Host and Admins day. Apparently this wasn't possible because they weren't sure that a thread of that size could be punted back. Remember that a host is obliged to read every single post on their board. [Ultra confused] Well done O good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of those who muse, that looks a bit dull, I'll ignore it.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TonyK, thanks for doing such a great job, so consistently, for so many years. Well done, mate. Very well done. Enjoy your retirement.

It's good that John H and I got only one shoe each. Filling both would have been a bit much for anybody.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you TonyK

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
TonyK is absolutely a top bloke. He has been a fantastic host. My abiding recollection is his good humoured responses to my suggestions that he should punt the homosexuality thread to the Circus during a Host and Admins day. Apparently this wasn't possible because they weren't sure that a thread of that size could be punted back. Remember that a host is obliged to read every single post on their board. [Ultra confused] Well done O good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of those who muse, that looks a bit dull, I'll ignore it.

Totally. I don't have anything to add to that. (Except that I don't remember anything about the homosexuality thread, but I'll take your word for it.)
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks TonyK - enjoy your retirement and don't be a stranger [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TonyK.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoy your retirement [Smile]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Anyone who has read that quantity of Dead horse topics, and handled them so gracefully should be up for the Ship's equivalent of the Nobel Prize.

TonyK enjoy your retirement.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks TonyK for hosting with such patience and restraint. A great example to everyone.

Now you can let rip!

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

As a matter of trivia interest, does he have the record for the longest time hosting without the admin-selector bunny pooping on his square?

I'm sure the PTB considered this very seriously then thought "How the heck do we replace TonyK in DH?"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TonyK [Overused]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Thanks TonyK for hosting with such patience and restraint. A great example to everyone.

Now you can let rip!

quote:

I'm sure the PTB considered this very seriously then thought "How the heck do we replace TonyK in DH?"
TonyK and Louise have been DH hosts since the board was set up IIRC. Which probably is a record!

And yes, when we got the PM that was pretty much the reaction! Thank goodness that John and B62 stepped in.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Tony.

That is all that can be said, really - thank you!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Twelve years a host" -- didn't they make a movie about that recently?

[Overused]
Thank you, Tony, for holding down the old corral.

And thank you, John and B62 , for taking up the reins, joining the rodeo...uh, Can't think of any more horse metaphors right now.

[ 25. February 2014, 21:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done TonyK, 12 years is a long time to be holding the reins in a knackers yard. Enjoy the fresh air and the freedom!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for all your work in Dead Horses and being such a wonderful person generally, TonyK.

Thank you too, to Barnabas62 and John Holding for taking this one on.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a fairly regular contributor in Dead Horses, I have appreciated the superb hosting of both TonyK and Louise. I know I couldn't read through the amount of decomposing matter without wanting to scream, so I have every admiration for the evenhanded, sensitive way in which they have operated (and will continue to do so).

Thanks for your contribution Tony.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoy your retirement TonyK. You will be missed for certain!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After that length of time, no doubt TonyK has seen the horse poked and prodded with every instrument imaginable in an attempt to find signs of life.

I applaud your perseverance in the face of our collective stupidity. Enjoy your well-earned rest.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you TonyK and his intrepid successors.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TonyK. [Overused]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you TonyK! enjoy your (very well earned) retirement!!!

[ 26. February 2014, 08:08: Message edited by: Mrs Shrew ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, good and faithful servant. But what will you do now to bring sleep on, now you don't have those endless threads to read.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And from me too.
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just don't shoot the horse on the way out - do DH hosts get frisked for weapons on their way into the Hosts' Lounge?

Thank you so very much for your efforts in DH hosting.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Tony. Come for Lunch soon.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks, TonyK. Don't be a stranger.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Thank you Tony. Come for Lunch soon.

Pyx_e

I have just the thing.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that the adulation has calmed down (and my head is returning to something near its original size!), I guess I’d better say something.

I volunteered to host Dead Horses soon after it was set up. Initially it ran without a host – whether because they couldn’t find anybody (mug enough) to do it or because it was felt it wouldn’t need one I don’t know. Certainly Erin (of blessed memory) was quick to take up my offer. My motives, I have to say, were not entirely unselfish! It was then a very minor board, with very little traffic, and I thought I wouldn’t have too much to do while still enjoying the status of Host.

And to be honest it was always a bit like that. We had flare-ups, but most of the DH posters were long-term shipmates and played fair – though newbies sometimes gave problems! There were, and are, never the number of active threads that other boards and their hosts have to control, and for much of the time it was just a case of catching up on 3-4 threads-worth of posts daily. Of course, the contents became increasingly mind-numbing – there are very few new ideas or arguments in DH!

I was the only DH Host until Louise was appointed. It was great to have somebody else to share the work, and meant that Admins didn’t have to fill the gap when I was away. It has, I think, been a successful partnership – thanks Louise.

But that’s now over, and I shan’t have to go straight to DH every time I sign-on to see if, by some improbable chance, somebody has found a new insight. Using the Purgatory Hosts to cover DH as well will give them a chance to unwind a bit when they are rostered to DH, while the fact they are not permanently there should ease the boredom bit! A brilliant solution – well done the Admins!

I shall continue to watch the Ship – old habits die hard – and will post from time to time. As you will realise from my (pathetic) post count, I’m hardly the greatest contributor, but I have
always been very grateful for the companionship and education I have found here since 1998.

People come and go – but long may the Ship sail with its (often contentious) crew.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TonyK, you are the one who introduced me to Ship of Fools nine or ten years ago, during a February pilgrimage to Walsingham and I have to thank you for that. Admittedly, I have only visited Dead Horses occasionally, posting mainly on Ecclesiantics.

I haven't forgotten you and I wish you well.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TonyK, for your long and excellent stint of hosting.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016