homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bellringers shipmeet - unrest for ken?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bellringers shipmeet - unrest for ken?
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken's church, St John's Deptford, is an eight.

So first I thought, ringing for ken's funeral. But ken, like a lot of evangelicals, couldn't see the point of church bells. When I knew him IRL, way way back in our long-ago student days, we had some entertaining arguments about the ministry of ringing (don't get me started).

But I've been mulling it over and I'd like to ring for ken some time. So are there any other ringers on the Ship who'd like to meet up some time for a ring, in the sure and certain hope of triggering a classic, ken-style rant in the heavenly realms? Maybe a quarter, if we've got the right crew, or just some general ringing and of course the traditional pub visit afterwards?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Celtic Knotweed and I are both ringers, though issues with my family mean we may not be able to commit to anything for a while, plus we are on holiday for the second half of June. Plus I haven't asked her and I don't think she'll have seen this yet. But I think it's a possibility.

We are both 6-bell ringers, though I could probably plonk behind a simple triples method with a bit of prompting.

We both drink real ale.

So let's see what can be done...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great! I'm sure we can sort out a mutually convenient time, if enough people are up for it.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't ring much thee days but I'd be up for it

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to confirm that I'm up for this. Mainly a doubles ringer, with a couple of quarters inside in Bob Minor. If we're ringing triples, the most I've done is treble for a touch before service whilst visiting one Sunday.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in, as well.

Have PMd Sarum Sleuth too, although I'm not sure how close to London he is these days.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SS is based in Derby these days and works most weekends

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone in touch with The Great Gumby?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely up for it. Is there any real reason why we can't actually ring for the funeral, or after it, to pass the time before the close friends and family get back from the burial? I'm also not much above doubles or a simple assignment (treble or tenor) on triples.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike said this:

quote:
I don't ring much these days but I'd be up for it
I am very keen on anything that gets him back on the end of a bell-rope! I'd love to ring for (?) Ken with Spike.
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In principle up for it, but not sure whether logistics will work (Verging in Bristol these days)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

Great! If I've counted correctly that makes 7 of us so far - provided we can agree on a date that suits everyone. I'll wait a bit longer and see if anyone else pops up. I was thinking maybe some time in early July, before school holidays start.

Deputy Verger, please go ahead and ring for the funeral if you can organise a band. Unfortunately I can't make it.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DV I'm expecting to be at the funeral. But maybe PH and the family wouldn't like bells if ken didn't? There's also the local band to bear in mind. Or maybe he might just be tolled in and out?

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the funeral to be at St John's Deptford? I am around for a few days this week, but am otherwise unavailable. Be warned, the bells are a pretty tough proposition: I rang a few peals there back in the 80s and they were difficult then. I don't think there is a band and I imagine they are even more neglected now.

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, St. John's Deptford.

I'll try and find out about the condition of the bells, but it may take a few days.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Contact details here.

--------------------

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're very welcome to from our perspective. Dad didn't at all *dislike* them, and I rather like the idea! I'll see what I can find out.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Thanks for that. I'm pleased to know that the bells would be welcome.

How many would be available to ring either before or after the service? It's possible that one or two of the local ringers might also pitch in to make up six or eight. I'm hoping to speak to the tower captain this evening.

Otherwise, we need to think about a memorial quarter peal on a different date.

I understand that they are challenging to ring (plain bearings), but that's somehow not inappropriate, to my mind.

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Good morning,

I've spoken to the tower captain and he will be there to open up and to ring with us. He reminded me that they are challenging bells, and rallied at least two of the local band to pitch in as well.

It would be helpful to have confirmation from any ringers who know they can come, so I can let him know how many more pairs of hands we need. At the moment, I can confirm myself and three of them.

Thanks.

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had a text from the curate asking my permission. Which I gave, incidentally ;-)

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

Persephone, thank you.

Deputy Verger, I hope you manage to raise a full band and I'm sorry I can't join you.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I'll be there.

--------------------

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

And the tower captain texted me to say that Heston the curate was "delighted" we would be ringing. He's obviously a consummate diplomat!

I've no doubt we will raise a band. I don't know what we'll ring, but the local tower captain will run it, I'm sure. I'll be there from 11:00am onwards to get the bells up and make a noise.

Sadly we cannot muffle them for logistical reasons.

Still waiting for a show of hands of Shipmates willing to grab a rope. Don't make me PM you!

DV

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

PS this is all about ringing on Friday 13th. It is separate and distinct from a memorial Quarter Peal one day, which someone else can organise!
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am contemplating going along, but I haven't made up my mind. I have looked up the church on-line, and I found it is the church I know better as 'St. John's Deptford'.

I am a ringer and I rang at this tower on an outing some years ago. I must have coped with these bells, or I would remember if not.

IF I go along on Friday, I will aim to be there in time to ring. It remains to be seen how you are going to be for numbers of ringers; if in the end, you are over-subscribed, it won't matter to me if I don't ring. I am capable of ringing standard methods, but I decline to be included in any quarter-peal attempt, especially on bells I don't know.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

That's great. Definitely not a quarter peal attempt on this occasion. We can discuss on the day if we want to try for one another time.

I'm thinking that there are probably at least four of us and hopefully four locals, so we should be able to bong all the bells in Ken's memory and honour. This pleases me.

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
we should be able to bong all the bells in Ken's memory and honour. This pleases me.

Us too [Smile]
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

<bump>
Spike?

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
And the tower captain texted me to say that Heston the curate was "delighted" we would be ringing. He's obviously a consummate diplomat!

He is delighted! But also a consummate diplomat, yes, and a very lovely person indeed. I hold him in extremely high regard. (You'll meet him on Friday; he's leading the service.)

I really am very pleased this is happening. It will be lovely.

--------------------

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

I think we could be four: Qoheleth and I are definite, Ecclesiastical Flip flop and Sarum Sleuth are tentative, from how I read the messages. May I please encourage you to come? It would mean so much to the family to know there are shippies up there with the locals, and it would improve our chances of covering all the bells.

A couple of people have expressed reluctance due to the reputation of the bells themselves, but I can assure you that the locals like them. They have moved their regular weekly practice to St John's next week due to a conflict in their regular tower.

See you all tomorrow I hope!

[ 12. June 2014, 16:39: Message edited by: Deputy Verger ]

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

And ring we did, with a blended band of locals and shipmates. Call changes on eight and plain courses of Plain Bob Doubles. Other Shipmates told us that they could hear the bells as they came up from the station. Ken was then 'tolled' on his way with 57 strokes of the tenor [deepest bell] at the end of the service.

I found the bells less challenging than feared. They are seldom rung these days and just about held together for ken, until the seven's rope broke as we were ringing down [putting the bells to bed] at the end. As a connoisseur of the curious, he would probably have appreciated that. A glorious Victorian ringing room, too. Geeky bit.

--------------------

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so pleased it went well. If it hadn't been over 40 years since my bell-ringing days ......

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Thanks to Q and EFF for coming along. I was also pleasantly surprised after hearing lamentations about the bells. They were not that hard. Well, one or two were, and a rope broke at the end, but really, they sounded lovely and were fun to ring.

I hope someone else will organise a quarter for us one day, which we can ring elsewhere and still footnote in Ken's memory.

And by the way, I have known two chaps come back recently after decades away. It's one of those skills, like riding a bicycle...

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad I went along and able to take part in the ringing of the bells and staying for the service followed by the meet at The Rising Sun. It was an enjoyable if emotive occasion.

We could have had one more bellringer. The previous evening, I was at a ringing practice elsewhere. A certain ringer was there who to my utter amazement, showed up at the funeral without ringing and I could have briefed him had I known. "What in the what name are you doing here!!? You are the last person in the world I expected to see here!!" Jeff was a contemporary of Ken at Durham University, and that is how he came to be there. It's a small world!

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Small world indeed. I was at the Highgate Fair on Saturday and ended up buying some marmalade from ?North London & Middlesex? Bell Ringers group stall. Somehow got chatting to chap behind the stall about the ringing for the funeral and turns out Deputy Verger had been in touch with him about maybe coming to ring!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016