homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Purgatory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Apologetics

Source: (consider it) Thread: Apologetics
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First, I'm going to admit - I'm past my prime.

It's fifteen-twenty years since I was seriously active on forums like this. I've spent the last decade dealing with a massive real life responsibility that has prevented me from indulging myself with fun like SOF.

But it is hugely disappointing to see that an issue from the 1990s remains an issue now: apologetics is a lost art.

Too many people jump into online debates with their opinions, and defend them by attacking opponents.

Where is the art of the apologetic? Where is the careful deconstruction of challenge? Where is the use of reference, rhetoric, logic and persuasion to defend a position?

After twenty years most people online still seem to use the same tactic: I'll attack arguments I don't accept - then I don't have to defend my position.

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly apologetics takes place more in the realm of blogs than in that of fora. That's mostly what I encounter in blogs anyway.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
Possibly apologetics takes place more in the realm of blogs than in that of fora. That's mostly what I encounter in blogs anyway.

I agree. Apologetics would be extremely awkward in a multi-party conversation-like place such as a forum.
SOF is much more akin to an informal debate. One makes a point and counters or affirmations will be issued.
In essence, the motive is the same, the form adapted to the situation. Not sure what the problem is.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would agree. I try to engage in reasoned and thought out discussion on my blog. On forum, or social media, is a far more complex interaction process, where basic responses and exploration of points raised is more appropriate.

My response question is, why should we need apologetics? There are very few occasions where a clearly worked out and argued exploration is the right answer, rather than an engagement with a question raised, or an issue mentioned.

Maybe the real answer is that engagement, not argument, is the way to do things?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Maybe the real answer is that engagement, not argument, is the way to do things?

I completely agree.

I'm not just referring to discussions here on the Ship.

A discussion on a newspaper site is typical of the problem: the winner of the debate is not the one who defends his own territory, but the one who lays waste to his opponent's.

That, as far as I am concenred, is a very poor excuse for a discussion.

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, professional politicians have found it works better, haven't they? Why wouldn't the amateurs follow suit?

We reward the professionals for going and attacking the other guy instead of explaining their own policies.

EDIT: I suspect one of the reasons it's so successful is simply that destruction is easier than construction. The effort to build an argument is much greater than the effort to knock out one step of the argument and thus invalidate the whole argument. Or claim to have done so.

[ 26. May 2014, 22:16: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IMHO, this is a very good topic for good, civil, rational discussion—completely unlike the kind you'd find in a newspaper comments section (why DO I read those), about three quarters of the Internet, and here in Hell. I think it's time to turn on the A/C a bit and take things to Purgatory.

*whip-POW!*

—Ariston, Hellhost

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016