homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Affirming churches in Caerphilly?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Affirming churches in Caerphilly?
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An non-churchgoing friend is interested in exploring Christianity a bit more, but is worried about churches not being affirming/being too conservative for her. Now I am under the impression that the CiW is generally on the AffCath side, but wanted some confirmation of that. She needs a church in the Blackwood/Hengoed area, accessible by foot/bike/public transport. Churches being high or low don't matter as much as affirming-ness.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's Abervicar when we need him? He's in Abertillery.

I know Caerphilly but am not familiar with the churches there. I grew up a Valley or two to the east.

By and large, and this is a generalisation, most Church in Wales churches in that area would be fairly middle-of-the-road but would appear 'high' if you're from a nonconformist background.

'Find a Church' website would be your best bet.

What do you mean by 'affirming' in this context?

My impression of Welsh Anglicanism in general is that it isn't particular Forward-in-Faith-ish and would be probably more towards the 'Affirming' end of things but the mileage would vary. There are also evangelical Anglican parishes in South Wales too, it's by no means a monolithic scene.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what the Anglicans in Caerphilly look like.

I notice it refers to 'Holy Eucharist (Mass)' so that might give us a clue as to the churchmanship.

http://www.parishofcaerphilly.org.uk/

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the parish has a female curate so if accepting OOW is "affirming", that's positive. If affirming is what we Yanks call "inclusive" ie welcoming to the LGBT, I dunno.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Where's Abervicar when we need him? He's in Abertillery.

I know Caerphilly but am not familiar with the churches there. I grew up a Valley or two to the east.

By and large, and this is a generalisation, most Church in Wales churches in that area would be fairly middle-of-the-road but would appear 'high' if you're from a nonconformist background.

'Find a Church' website would be your best bet.

What do you mean by 'affirming' in this context?

My impression of Welsh Anglicanism in general is that it isn't particular Forward-in-Faith-ish and would be probably more towards the 'Affirming' end of things but the mileage would vary. There are also evangelical Anglican parishes in South Wales too, it's by no means a monolithic scene.

Sorry, affirming as in LGBT friendly. And have tried the find a church website but it's not very helpful for Wales.

I think she said that St Margaret's Blackwood was nearest to her?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

And sorry, my knowledge of Wales isn't good enough to know if Caerphilly is an area as well as a town!

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caerphilly is county as well as a town. Blackwood is near Caerphilly (town) but a place in its own right. The Caerphilly parish is probably too far if she needs walking/cycling/bus. I've been to St Martin's Caerphilly and Wesley Caerphilly is in the circuit I serve in so I have preached and presided there. St Martin's is fairly middle of the road - I've no idea where they are on LGBT inclusion. Wesley is a fairly traditional Methodist Church - five hymn sandwich, music with the organ. The minister is a member of Progressive Christianity Network and her theology is fairly liberal but I don't know where the church as a whole is on LGBT inclusion. Unfortunately, I don't know the churches in the Blackwood/Hengoed area at all (but I can recommend cycling over the Hengoed viaduct - lovely views!)

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the people I know, I'd avoid Abertridwr but Caerphilly is safe. I need to message my friend in that part of the world, so I'll ask for advice.

A church near you only deals with CofE. Unfortunately.
Carys

[ 15. March 2014, 22:40: Message edited by: Carys ]

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Thank you Carys. Yes, the CiW website is very unhelpful! I looked at the St Michael's college website out of interest and that's also not the most helpful.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I know the curate in Caerphilly. I think your friend would be fine there. I know Blackwood but not the churches there. I can try to find out.

--------------------

God Explorer
Apprentice
# 18078

- Posted      Profile for God Explorer   Email God Explorer       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi - new to this website but can confirm that the Wesleyan church in Caerphilly has a lovely minister, the Rev Sue who is 101% affirming. I'm a convalescent fundamentalist and I spent a lovely couple of weeks in attendance at this church until I found another church more local to my home in Llanbradach.

I just want to say that although I can't vouch for other churches in the Caerphilly, I would be honoured to share a pew with your friend.

God bless...
The non-conformist Nonconformist

--------------------
God Explorer

Posts: 1 | From: Llanbradach | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your friend is in Hengoed then they're in the parish of Gelligaer - St Anne's in Cefn Hengoed is part of the benefice but the Rector is based at St Catwg's.

If on the other hand they're nearer Blackwood you want the parish of Mynyddislwyn - which has five churches but I'm guessing that St David's Oakdale would be the nearest.

My spy in the pew (OK, occasional visiting worshipper) tells me it doesn't aspire to the sometime heights of St Saviour's, Roath, but the welcome if friendly and genuine.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Martin's, Caerphilly just gives you a lovely welcome, whoever you are. I go there about once a month, because it is where Garfield now lives and worships. It doesn't come over as high at all, despite wording on the website. They are particularly welcoming towards children.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very disappointing: I was intrigued by the title of this thread, which I read as "Affirming chickens in Caerphilly". Sadly it's not ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know nothing about Caerphilly Parish. But having looked at their website, I find it amazing that the only way I could discover when the Sunday services were held was by downloading the weekly news sheet. There doesn't appear to be anything on the website itself - not even under "Regular Church Events".

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest-in-charge of Blackwood is a very welcoming guy but I don't know where he or his congregation stand on LGBT-affirmation. I've found Valleys churches to all be different - don't expect them all to be traditional in views and practice. Mind you, going a mile or two in any valley takes you to a different country according to the inhabitants, so such differences are to be expected!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only just spotted this thread - as Gamaliel says, there is a female NSM at St. Martin's, Caerphilly - she is a mutual friend.The vicar there is our area dean. On the whole, Llandaff diocese is quite high, and we found Caerphilly very high when we went there for our friend's "first mass" - our parish is definitely low down the candle, and I'm afraid there was no way I was going to kiss her hands after recieving communion from her, no matter what her vicar said about it being customary after a priest's first communion!.
If your friend is at Hengoed, there is a good train service up and down the valley and a train station next to Hengoed Viaduct. I can't comment about the "inclusiveness" of local congregations though. There's a lively church at Pengam (Ebeneser Baptist) and several house churches in the area. The parish church woukd probably be Ystrad Mynach, one stop further down the train line, about a mile, mile and a half. It's pretty high.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

If on the other hand they're nearer Blackwood you want the parish of Mynyddislwyn - which has five churches but I'm guessing that St David's Oakdale would be the nearest.

If they live on the west side of the Sirhowy valley they will be in Fleur de Lis parish

[fixed code - Preview Post and the UBB practice thread are your friends!]

[ 29. May 2014, 22:36: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016