homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nashville Shipmeet - Tuesday 20 May (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Nashville Shipmeet - Tuesday 20 May
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! I'm heading to Nashville & it looks like a Meet is possible. Who's up for it - and (more importantly) who can make the arrangement - I don't get in till the evening of 18th?
The Heading to Nashville thread seemed to indicate the following Shipmates might be around:
Grits
Monkeylizard
Barefoot Friar
Kuruman
ME!!!!
Any others?

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect we can convince Tortuf and Sine Nomine to turn up as well.

What do y'all think of Puckett's on Church? It's in a convenient spot for our visiting shippies and they take reservations. They usually have live music starting at 7:30 on Tuesdays. If we got in before then, we'd have time for conversation. Then whoever wants to can stay for the tunes.

If we want to venture beyond downtown, I'd be happy to pick up our guests and go to wherever.

[ 03. April 2014, 14:03: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two of my travelling companions (Murrage and Maggie) are also up for this. Pucketts looks good.

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, I think. I'll have to double check with the missus.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curious, what time would you and your crew be done at your conference and ready for dinner?

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are done at 5:45, so we can shoot for 6:00, unless we need to make it a bit later.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
kuruman
Shipmate
# 8892

- Posted      Profile for kuruman   Email kuruman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, I'm guessing, Grits?! It's a real bonus to be meeting up with a pile of you during this conference - and Curious, it'll be good to have you at the conference itself. How will I recognise you?

--------------------
Let us, in Heaven's name, drag out the Divine Drama from under the dreadful accumulation of slipshod thinking and trashy sentiment heaped upon it, and set it on an open stage to startle the world into some sort of vigorous reaction. (Dorothy Sayers)

Posts: 390 | From: back home under the Long White Cloud | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello kuruman. I remember you!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Breakouts finish at 5.45 on 20th, but I guess it will take a few minutes for people to disperse. Could we say a 6.15 gathering (unless the Nashville residents want to get to the venue to decorate it...... [Biased] )
I'm still working on the UK attendees. Can someone let us have the address of where we'll all meet (and an idea of cost......???)
VERY excited about all this!
Curious

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the link to Puckett's. It is LITERALLY right across the corner from Downtown Pres.

I just checked reservations, and they are not showing any available that evening! Let me call them later today and check it out.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Grits
# 4169

Puckett's is closed that evening for a private event. Too bad. At least we have a month to come up with an alternative!

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

What do you think about Peg-Leg Porker in the Gulch? I've been looking for an excuse to try it. I can pick up our guests and drive over there if the UK contingent will tell me which hotels they're staying in.

http://peglegporker.com/

which kind of reminds me of this old Ship article.

[ 16. April 2014, 20:08: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

It looks a little, well, man-ish. I mean, the choice is barbeque or barbeque. The ladies will be going to the Wildhorse on Wednesday night as part of their festivities. Maybe we need to find something a little less rough for Tuesday night.

Thanks for offering to help with transportation!

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

I'm trying to think of somewhere downtown that's a taste of Nashville, not a honky tonk, not fast-food, and not crazy expensive. Nothing comes to mind at the moment besides Puckett's.

What about a restaurant in Midtown or East Nashville? Again, I can provide transportation.

[ 17. April 2014, 14:51: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
What do you think about Peg-Leg Porker in the Gulch? I've been looking for an excuse to try it...[/URL]

Do they serve Whistle-Stop style barbeque?

[Eek!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Don't worry too much about the sensibilities of the female contingent from the UK!!!! Anything that shrieks Nashville will suit us all.
BTW there's at least one more UK taker - Penny F.

Curious

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in for reals. Kuruman! We've not crossed paths, so you don't know me, but I read old threads and I'm tickled to meet you.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Unless someone else can pitch in with ground transportation, it will have to be downtown. I can handle 4 passengers, but I think we just went to 5.

Take a look at Rock Bottom Brewery. It's part of a small chain of brew pubs. I usually don't like chains, but the food's actually good there. It has a casual atmosphere and I think it may be our best choice. It's on Broadway between 1st and 2nd Ave. If the weather permits, they have a great rooftop seating area.

There's nothing that shrieks Nashville more than the honky tonks, but the food is basic bar food and they're loud, so not good for conversation.

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Looks good. We'll be up for anything.

Curious

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

That does look interesting, ml, and I think it might be fun to be down on Broadway. I can pick up some of the ladies, too, so we should have that covered. I'll check out the location before then and see about some parking options.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

If they're all staying at downtown hotels, Rock Bottom is within walking distance. Depending on the hotel, it may be closer than a good parking space [Smile] Why don't we just meet at Rock Bottom? It's on Broadway between 1st and 2nd, across Broadway from the Hard Rock Cafe.

If any of the UK contingent is staying away from downtown (The Gulch, West End, Airport, etc.) or would have difficulty walking to Rock Bottom, please let either Grits or I know via PM and we'll make sure to pick you up.

FYI for the locals: The new Music City Center is a good parking choice. It's 0-2 hours: $4; 2-4 hours: $6. Sometimes it's $4 flat after 5pm but not always. The Library Garage (entrances on 6th and 7th between Church and Commerce) is always $5 after 5pm. Good location, but not as close to Broadway as the Music City Center. All parking meters are free after 6pm if you can find one.

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

FAB! We're all in Downtown Hotels, so walking shouldn't be an issue. It looks like there might be 9 or 10 of us - I hope that's OK. (And they may not all be Shipmates, so can I stretch my shipmateyness to cover them??).
I'll do a final count up & let you know the number so that you can book.
Curious - and excited!

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

That sounds great. I'll give them a call when you give me your numbers. I'll be sure to add a few extra spots just in case.

--------------------

kuruman
Shipmate
# 8892

- Posted      Profile for kuruman   Email kuruman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barefoot Friar, thanks! Looking forward to meeting you too! I'm afraid I've got way out of the habit of checking SOF in recent years - hence the slow response - but it's wonderful to think of meeting you all face-to-face in Nashville. All getting rather close, too. I'll be in Santa Barbara for a few days before this at another conference, but I'm not sure if there are any Shippies there?

--------------------
Let us, in Heaven's name, drag out the Divine Drama from under the dreadful accumulation of slipshod thinking and trashy sentiment heaped upon it, and set it on an open stage to startle the world into some sort of vigorous reaction. (Dorothy Sayers)

Posts: 390 | From: back home under the Long White Cloud | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

2 weeks to go!

This is what I have. Please correct anything I have wrong.

Tuesday, May 20th at 6:15pm
Rock Bottom located at 111 Broadway

9 or 10 UK shippies and friends
Grits
Barefoot Friar
myself

I'm going to go ahead and ask for the rooftop seating. It has a limited menu vs. the main restaurant. Personally, I think that's worth it for the vibe of the rooftop. If the weather is bad that night, or if enough of us want the full menu we can move it inside. I doubt it will be too busy on a Tuesday night. There's nothing scheduled at the Bridgestone Arena or The Ryman that night so it should be a little less crowded than usual.

Rooftop dinner menu:
http://www.rockbottom.com/images/pdfs/NashvilleMenus/April2014/402740RB4202DIN_Rooftop.PDF
Main dinner menu:
http://www.rockbottom.com/images/pdfs/NashvilleMenus/April2014/RB_CoreMenu_4202DIN_040914_lo.pdf

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Update: No reservations needed for a group our size. They don't anticipate being busy that night. The rooftop is first-come seating.

Why don't we plan to just meet up on the rooftop unless it's raining? Then we'll meet by the hostess stand. Happy hour is 4:00-6:30 for anyone who wants to get there a little early.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Wow. I already know what I'm ordering.

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

Tortuf will be there, and I'm working hard on getting Sine to come. I hope he will.

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Looks like we may be a group of 10 from the UK (including an Aussie and a South African)- is that OK?

Couple of quick questions - what's the weather likely to be like/ Do the buses run from the Airport to Downtown on a Sunday evening?

Really excited to meet you all.

Curious

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
What's the weather likely to be like?

25-30°C, give or take, with relative humidity anywhere from 50-80%. You can get the forecast on Google as we get closer. There is always a chance of a shower or thunderstorm in late spring through the summer, in which case the temp will remain the same, the humidity will rise, and the sauna will be on.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
Do the buses run from the Airport to Downtown on a Sunday evening?

Yes. The #18 bus will take you downtown from the airport. It picks up at the airport at 40 minutes past the hour on weeeknds (17:40, 18:40, 19:40, etc) until 22:40. That's its last pickup.

PM inbound for how to get to your hotel from there.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route18.pdf

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

It looks like we'll be around 14 or 15 strong. Rock Bottom said a group that size can be handled as a walk-in, so nothing to worry about there. This will be the next British Invasion. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kuruman has begun the long trek, via days in Auckland and days in Santa Barbara ... youse'all make sure you be nice to her, now, okay?

(She travels on an OZ passport but probably identifies as kiwi, by the way, Just sayin').

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

I wish you could have come along, Zappa. If you ever find yourself in this part of the world, please stop by to say hello.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went there to try it out. Not bad food and the view is nice.

So was the scenery.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Does that mean you're in?

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Final check in before I head off State-side! Our programme shows that sessions finish at 5.45pm, so we'll get to you as soon to 6pm as we can.
Roll on Tuesday!
Curious

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
I wish you could have come along, Zappa. If you ever find yourself in this part of the world, please stop by to say hello.

Consider this a solemn promise ... though I'm not much of a jetsetter

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

... oh ... and someone please take a camera!

--------------------

kuruman
Shipmate
# 8892

About to board the plane to Nashville. Looking forward to all this very much indeed! And Zappa - no one wished more than me that you were here!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Smile]
Say hello to the footprints of Bob Dylan there - he recorded Blonde on Blonde in Nashville ...

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Just over 24 hours to go. The weather for Tuesday looks good. Sunny and 87F (That's 31C for our visitors) for the high, but it may be a bit windy with a 15-25 mph (15-30kph) breeze.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Kuruman will think she's back in a wankydilla spring or a Darwin dry season .

[ 19. May 2014, 19:07: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

kuruman and I passed the place today, and it looks like it will be a great spot. See everyone at 6:15!

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Alas, I shall not be able to make it after all. I had a pastoral thing come up that needs my immediate attention.

Have fun!

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Thank you all - great choice of venue and lovely to meet Shippies in real life.

Curious

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I hope all were dignified and decorous

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

Sadly Yes. Very decorous. No alcohol consumed at all, but good food eaten and decent conversation undertaken!

Curious

--------------------

Grits
# 4169

It was a really lovely evening to dine outdoors with good company.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did my best to make it non decorous, but failed.

In that spirit, I present to you The Big Nekkid Statute.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016