homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christables

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Christables
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I came across this, because if it can exist you'll find it on the internet.

quote:
Individually Packaged Bread & Juice Communion Set

Each communion cup features traditional unleavened communion bread and 100% Grape Juice together in one cup to allow for a 1-Pass method during the service.

Unique, Ergonomic Cup Design:

• Easier to hold, position, and open for all from young to old
  • Flat side of cup allows for better grip and control of cup during seal removal
  • Large bread compartment allows for easy removal
  • Our cup is 100% recyclable

Doesn't this seem a little . . . cheap? I mean it's one thing to get your cheese, crackers, and lunch meat in separate, pre-packaged compartments, but is this kind of pre-packaged convenience really necessary with the body and blood of Christ? Who, exactly, is this product for? Impatient pastors? Churchgoers on the go who don't have time for a "home cooked" eucharist? Who is the target consumer of this product?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can communion (with other believers) be individual?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the thing when you need a little Snackrament.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Individually Packaged Bread & Juice Communion Set

Is it wrong that I saw the picture, and immediately thought of the Muller fruit corners where you fold over the corner to dump the fruity bit into the yoghurt?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put them into vending machines - have each machine consecrated by a priest and then bypass the clergy shortage by self-service communion.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

In those denominations which use individual cups, they generally have a practice of consuming the wine/ grape byproduct at the same moment, which is how they demonstrate their communion with each other. There are a number of manufacturers which prepare these individual-dose packages.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

Do a search for the phrase "wee cuppies" on these boards and you will see this question has been asked many times previously.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the simples answer is when you eat with family or friends do you need to all eat off the same plate and drink from the same glass to share a meal? Isn't it more important that you all eat at the same time?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Put them into vending machines - have each machine consecrated by a priest and then bypass the clergy shortage by self-service communion.

If a bishop had laid hands on the machine once, then there would be no need to have a priest to refill the machine each time it ran out. The machine would be able to consecrate by itself.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was bemused to learn that our Vietnamese parishioners prefer the individual cups over the chalice, so I've started preparing them again. Whatever. But I refuse to use something that looks like pre-portioned coffee creamer. If we must use wee cuppies, by gum I'm going to pour the suckers out myself just before communion and wash up afterward. Next thing you know it'll be drive through! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Perhaps the simples answer is when you eat with family or friends do you need to all eat off the same plate and drink from the same glass to share a meal? Isn't it more important that you all eat at the same time?

Agreed with this. While I find the package aesthetically displeasing I don't have any theological objections per se. My problem is when it's just someone, their fishing rod or nine iron and the Lord's Drive-thru Supper.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen this kind of product used at a conference with several thousand people in attendance.

From a practical point of view, it had its advantages.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

If a bishop had laid hands on the machine once, then there would be no need to have a priest to refill the machine each time it ran out. The machine would be able to consecrate by itself.
A bit like Trotters Ready Blessed Communion Wine [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:

Fabulous!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I have to use a wee cuppie, let it be this.

The Medicine of Immortality and All That.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not this, then?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I'm thinking not. Were I to go squandering material resources on a debased symbol, I'd choose the biodegradable waxed paper.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's how I first came across the whole idea. The vending machine was Japanese, surprise, surprise.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crap spouted by Lamb Chopped:
.... Next thing you know it'll be drive through! [Roll Eyes]

Too late

......much too late

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crap spouted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:
.... Next thing you know it'll be drive through! [Roll Eyes]

Too late

......much too late

But how does one genuflect?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not this, then?

Certainly not this

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Geneva Gown ON

Lessee, mention of Wee Cuppies, 1 point. Sale of church ordinances, -10 points. The Sledgehammer of Righteousness twitches. And this thread does not benefit from the doubt.

Thread Closed

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016