homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Play zone" experimental board (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Play zone" experimental board
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The suggestion is simple, add a new board, a "play zone".

The point of the "play zone" is quite simply to give Shipmates an opportunity to try out some idea for a board that should be hosted on SoF (rather than a private board). Whether it is about a new kind of topic to be discussed, or a different mode of discussion, or a different mode of hosting, or whatever else people can come up with.

The "play zone" would be hosted by the person making the suggestion, plus potentially (but not necessarily) helpers they recruit to make it work.

Suggestions for what should be tried out will be posted on a dedicated Styx thread, and the H&As will decide what gets a run (they can also of course decide other means, perhaps running a poll on suggestions or whatever... point is that the final decision rests with them, even if they choose to delegate it).

It is understood from the outset that the "play zone" will host any particular idea only for a certain time, perhaps three months or so. After this it will get cleared for trying out something else. Presumably the results could get stored somewhere. And of course, if the trial was super successful, then maybe a new permanent board could be established. But the "play zone" itself would become available for a new trial.

I suggest that in addition to the "play zone" board proper, there should be an additional "meta play zone" board. This basically acts as a mini-Styx, only concerned with the trial, and is also hosted by the persons managing the trial (the person who suggested the trial plus helpers). This should largely isolate queries about the trial and discussions thereof from Styx proper. Of course, complaints about the trial hosts and the like can still be made to Styx.

That's basically it. The simple idea is to give people a playing field to try things out, with the clear expectation that most of it will never get anywhere in the end, but with the hope that some of it will pass the trial and error stage and contribute to an even better SoF.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you actually need an entire board for each new idea? Or just a thread or two?

I raise this because what you're suggesting seems to mean that only one idea can be worked on at any given time, and it also means that the Hosting privileges of the board have to be played around with. Whether these are pluses or minuses, I'm not sure.

[ 08. July 2014, 16:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see three reasons for giving it an entire board (or indeed two, if you count the meta board):

First, it allows you to do much more. For example, anything to do with hosting then can be trialled out as well. Or perhaps games that have to do with where your thread is in the posting order. Or whatever.

Second, it isolates the trial run from the rest of the Ship, and it puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the person suggesting the trial run. You probably don't want to shuffle extra work on the regular host's shoulders. And you probably don't want the trial leader to become a host of a regular board.

Give them rights only over the trial board, then they are responsible for what happens there, and cannot mess up things elsewhere. As a side effect you might get more people knowing what it means to be a host.

Third, I think in terms of advertisement and visibility. A separate board is much more visible than one thread among many on a regular board. If a trial is going to be relevant, you would want a lot of participation. To a a large extent that depends on the pull of the idea itself, of course. But a bit of structural exposure would certainly help.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM, the hosting itself is problematic.
Hosting isn't merely handing a person a gavel or rusty farm implement. If I understand the procedure correctly, there is evaluation and testing. You are asking for more work from unpaid, overworked volunteers.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would favour taking an actual idea and considering how it might be trialled rather than spending time elaborating a structure to contain all hypothetical states of a as-yet-undefined process.

ISTM though that something which is distinctly different from the other threads on the same board - to wit, the Mafia and RPG games - manage fine with a Narrative Thread and a Meta Thread.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thoughts occur. But one is - *if* you had a playzone - the meta could just be a single stickied thread on the same board.

(Crosspost.)

[ 08. July 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a fine idea. I have a feeling that this website suffers a little from staleness, which I suspect contributes causally to the phenomenon of established and well-invested Shipmates dropping overboard. Anything that encourages fresh new ideas has got to be a good thing, right?

[fresh new ideas, not fish new ideas. Damned iPad]

[ 08. July 2014, 18:32: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Many thoughts occur. But one is - *if* you had a playzone - the meta could just be a single stickied thread on the same board.

That would then presumably not encompass the hosting suggestion? Or can you set up permissions to allow someone to mod a single thread within a board?
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking single permenant experimental board, with on it when in use - mini host, Closed Stickie OP explaining the experiment board and open stickied meta-thread. Then as many other threads on the board as it generates.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(I may only be posting on this thread because I like the idea of board where you can post about anything but only in iambic pentameter - I believe it would make people think before they post, and would be more stimulating to read.)

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhymed couplets. Proper rhymed couplets, with equal syllables and actual scansion.

There's nothing like following a verse form for clarifying the mind.

In fact, that is my suggestion for the new Board content: everything to be written as poetry - both as regards metre and language. One could, of course, discuss the merits of Free Verse - in verse.

Seriously.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I be prepared to co-host with you on that.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was thinking single permenant experimental board, with on it when in use - mini host, Closed Stickie OP explaining the experiment board and open stickied meta-thread. Then as many other threads on the board as it generates.

This makes sense to me. Having to go to another board for the meta discussion would be a hassle.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
ISTM, the hosting itself is problematic.
Hosting isn't merely handing a person a gavel or rusty farm implement. If I understand the procedure correctly, there is evaluation and testing. You are asking for more work from unpaid, overworked volunteers.

IngoB is suggesting that each idea has its own separate hosts, so it should not create existing work for the current set (unless they suggest an idea, in which case they have volunteered for the extra work). I am not sure what would happen if an interesting, viable idea were to be suggested by somebody that the H&A's did not trust with hostly powers, however limited.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I am not sure what would happen if an interesting, viable idea were to be suggested by somebody that the H&A's did not trust with hostly powers, however limited.

The H&As could say from the outset that they might in some cases say yes to an idea but ask the person who pitched the idea to suggest other people to be hosts. All boards need at least two hosts anyway, so H&As could make it a requirement that anyone who wants to pitch an idea must first recruit one or two other shipmates to work with them.

[Edited to add verbs. Verbs are good.]

[ 08. July 2014, 20:17: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

That would then presumably not encompass the hosting suggestion? Or can you set up permissions to allow someone to mod a single thread within a board?
You'd only be able to run one idea on a board at the same time as the software only let's you have four Hosts per board. You can't have a Host per thread.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
I am not sure what would happen if an interesting, viable idea were to be suggested by somebody that the H&A's did not trust with hostly powers, however limited.

The H&As could say from the outset that they might in some cases say yes to an idea but ask the person who pitched the idea to suggest other people to be hosts. All boards need at least two hosts anyway, so H&As could make it a requirement that anyone who wants to pitch an idea must first recruit one or two other shipmates to work with them.

[Edited to add verbs. Verbs are good.]

Having a team of people to work on an idea and do the day to day stuff once the board is up and running would have to be a given. You can't Host a board by yourself. A minimum of three people would be good.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems fairly obvious that if someone has an idea they want to try out it will only work if there are enough other people willing to give it a try. If the person proposing the idea can't find 1 or 2 others to help with the hosting then that would suggest the number of people who think it's something worth trying is probably too small.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:

That's probably a better idea than an additional meta-board. It keeps things tight.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Third, I think in terms of advertisement and visibility. A separate board is much more visible than one thread among many on a regular board. If a trial is going to be relevant, you would want a lot of participation. To a a large extent that depends on the pull of the idea itself, of course. But a bit of structural exposure would certainly help.

Just so we're clear, what I had meant was threads within this 'experimental' board, rather than threads on any of the existing boards.

Which is not dissimilar, I think, from what Doublethink has since said.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is the thrust of my post. It would require vetting. Not only would they have to consider who they think might make a viable host, but ascertain if this is true in reality.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I don't think that host selection needs to be overthought. If a trial fails due to bad hosting, then it simply fails due to bad hosting. That may be sad, but in the end its just one of many things that can go wrong when an idea is put to the test.

The important point is that hosting can be limited to the "play zone" board (which should be the case). That means any problem remains contained there. It's not like "play zone" host has access to the rest of SoF.

Perhaps there should be a due warning at the top of such a board that it is run by "amateur hosts". And if someone really messes up in that role, the nothing stops the regular H&As from ending the trial early. But that shouldn't stop other experiments by other people from being tried next.

This is really intended as what they call a "sandbox" in computing.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the idea of trying things out experimentally, as previously demonstrated.

We could set the test board up to have time-limited experiments. A queue of ideas could run, with some agreed-upon duration. First runs of an ideas could have the proposer (and up to 2 of their nominees) pantomiming in a Hostly role, with a regular Crew backing them up as required. This would let us skip over the need to fiddle with the control panel too often. If the first run of an idea was suitably interesting, it could graduate to it's own longer-term provisional board with more-carefully vetted and trained Host(s).

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really curious--what ideas do people have that we don't already have a board for? [Confused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea I asked about a few years ago was a Mummers' Play telling the Easter Story, approximately in real time. A sort of revival of the Nativity Play. There were reasons for suggesting it when I did; it was shortly after jlg and Erin's deaths. At the time I had the time to run it, which I don't now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have sometimes felt that the Ship could do with its own music discussion board, where people could discuss anything and everything musical from horrible hymns to the joys of opera and pop music, to the finer details of tonic scales and perfect pitch.

Or there could be a sports board and discuss F1, Wimbledon, the World Cup etc etc in a non-Circus, no-holds-barred sort of way.

I'm not offering to host either of those, it just seems to me that there could be enough interest to sustain separate boards for one or the other.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Pagan board ? Alternative lifestyles board ? Crusader board for petitions ? Dating board, building on the intermittent ships dating threads - threads on dating tips, satorial style advice for said date etc - in addition to main thread with lonely heart posts ?

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the concept is a good one - it gives a place that new ideas can be explored and proven (or not), without huge amounts of extra work for the existing admins.

It also gives people with ideas a way of exploring them over a reasonable time, without the long-term commitment of a full private board.

Some - most maybe - will die or prove insufficiently popular. But they have been tried, and a few will develop into full-grown boards of their own (private or public), having identified many of the issues or processes needed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Crusader board for petitions ?

Be too much like my FB page....
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I've mentioned this before: I would like to try out a "prayer / spirituality" board, distinct from Ecclesiantics as being concerned with non-liturgical, personal religious activity, and distinct from Kerygmania as not focusing on scriptural discussions.

One thing that is a real concern is that the "play hosts" need to understand the basic problem of copyright and other legal issues (e.g., certain topics like "sex with children" are problematic). Perhaps "play hosts" should be given a formal brief, a little text noting major issue that they need to say they have read and understood. That should help shift legal blame in the worst case scenario. In general I think it would be good if a regular host had an eye on things. Not in the sense of "reading every post", but the play zone should not be entirely left to its own devices. And finally I think there should be statement in the board description telling participants that if they see something untoward, and it is not taken care of by the "play hosts", then they should report to Styx. We have quite a lot of experienced Shipmates, and they should be able to spot things that would not fly on the rest of SoF.

There is a bit of risk there, but I think a mitigating factor is that the experimental board (or rather, its current experimental content) can be trashed at any point in time without a warning. That's unlike the other boards, where one would try to minimise any change and impact.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Rhymed couplets. Proper rhymed couplets, with equal syllables and actual scansion.

There's nothing like following a verse form for clarifying the mind.

In fact, that is my suggestion for the new Board content: everything to be written as poetry - both as regards metre and language. One could, of course, discuss the merits of Free Verse - in verse.

Seriously.

I love the thought of doing things like this,
But fear this Shippy crowd will up it piss.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

And since y'all asked, I bagsy the first nomination for a tentative board title.

In keeping with the Ship's general theme of Heaven, Purgatory and Hell, how about: This Mortal Coil. Subtitle: Where great ideas come to life (or shuffle off).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

orfeo

# 13878

It's very sweet of you, Yorick, to think that none of the Hosts or Admins have come up with any naming ideas while we lounge around drinking gin...

(I'm sure your suggestion can be added to the mix. But it ain't the first!)

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Hahaha. You're just miffed because mine is awesome.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to come up with something based around 1 Thessalonians 5:21, but it's not really snappy enough for a board name.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

How about Grossetesting (Gross-e-testing?), after the English pioneer of the empirical / scientific method and bishop of Lincoln, Robert Grosseteste.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

You and your gross testes.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Okay, how about this as a process:

You'd have the idea; polish it; find some other Shipmates to collaborate with you to make it even better and help with the day to day stuff and then pitch it in the Styx.

If there's sufficent interest and the Admins think it's a go-er, then you'd to use the as yet un-named board for a time. You would also get a version of the Hosts Manual, a Host's board to discuss things behind the scenes and some Adminly support.

At the end of the time, we could review ... If the board has been a roaring success, then it could - that's could btw - become a special interest board. If it doesn't, then at least you've had the opportunity to give it a go.

What's not to love?!

Tubbs

[ 09. July 2014, 11:03: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Sounds good to me. The only thing I would add is that the "find collaborators, polish the idea, raise interest" in preparation of a bid would be a lot easier if it could happen in a dedicated thread somewhere (in Styx? Circus?). Trying to do all that by PM would be difficult. I guess that same thread could be used to post a formal bid when things have progressed sufficiently.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ideas for the next (or next but one) idea to try out can probably be thrashed out in the Styx. I would think it would be possible for the proposer and co-hosts to access the "play zone" hosts board when it gets close to putting it in action where fine points of the idea and practicalities of hosting can be thrashed out.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

OR - post a Styx thread about your Idea, which then becomes the venue for notes of interest, suggested modifications, volunteering for hosting etc etc. At the end of whatever period the Admins decide, there is a summary post on each thread stating the finalised idea, plus hosts.

It would avoid the morass of cross posting on a single development thread, and make evident the level of interest in each idea, which would be a useful indicator of which to trial first.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this thread is any indication of what the actual board ( s) will look like, the colaberative energy should be exciting in and of itself.

We seem to be going through a creative spurt, collectively!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Indeed. And since IngoB has taken a lot of flak over the years for making suggestions about how the Ship should be run, flak from me among many others, I want to say I think this idea is absolutely fantastic, and I look forward to seeing how it works out. Thanks for this, IngoB.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Seconded.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What were you hoping to include in the prayer board IngoB? There are threads on vocations, the prayer thread and fairly regularly threads on being third order Dominicans or Benedictines, as there are a number on the Ship. Those threads tend to end up in All Saints, and then the Daily Offices thread is in Eccles. Would you see your prayer board being a collection of all of these and additional threads?

I wondered if a thread looking at the way the lectionary follows through the life of Jesus might be an interesting addition?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
What were you hoping to include in the prayer board IngoB? There are threads on vocations, the prayer thread and fairly regularly threads on being third order Dominicans or Benedictines, as there are a number on the Ship. Those threads tend to end up in All Saints, and then the Daily Offices thread is in Eccles. Would you see your prayer board being a collection of all of these and additional threads?

My intention is simply to talk about personal (as opposed to liturgical) prayer/spirituality, whatever form that may take. I think vocations is something else, and properly at home in All Saints. Third Order concerns as a general topic I would see in All Saints as well, as a kind of vocation. A question like "How do you live your Benedictine (third order) spirituality daily?" might however be at home in the trial board. Daily Office is kind of borderline, really. Of course, in principle that is clearly the liturgical prayer of the Church. However, most of us are lay people and I would guess that most people saying the Divine Office see that as an essential part of their personal prayer life. So I don't really know... However, this is I think a question that could be asked if the prayer / spirituality board actually becomes a permanent fixture. During the trial phase, I certainly would not intend to pull the Divine Office thread over from Ecclesiantics.

The prayer thread in All Saints I think should stay in All Saints. It really is mostly about practically intercessory prayers for other Shipmates, and that is an All Saints thing. While I would very much like threads including actual prayer, the idea is that the board is more about prayer / spirituality than a venue for specific prayers. So I could well imagine a "Your favourite praise prayers" thread, for example, which is filled with actual prayers people pray in the praise of God. Whereas I wasn't really intending a thread of the kind "Prayers for a change of government in the UK", or the like.

To give another example, I would see it more as a "how and why do you say a rosary" than a "let's start a rosary crusade about X" kind of board. Of course, there could be overlap (somebody posting "I pray the rosary because I have joined this rosary crusade"), but it's about the angle of approach. I would like people to talk about how they pray, why the pray, how they struggle with prayer, what prayers they like, (*) etc., but I don't particularly intend to organise their prayers towards some goal. I hope you get my drift.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I wondered if a thread looking at the way the lectionary follows through the life of Jesus might be an interesting addition?

Lectionary as such sounds fairly Ecclesiantics to me, to be honest. If you however wanted to start a thread how reading the lectionary with this emphasis in mind inspires you, then that would be something for this trial board. It's really intended as a kind of "what else do you do to catch the Holy Spirit, other than the 'standardised' Church bits" catch-all.

(*) Or indeed other forms of spirituality, like wearing a cross, using holy water, putting religious art in one's house etc. There is lots of spirituality to be discussed besides prayer.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Indeed. And since IngoB has taken a lot of flak over the years for making suggestions about how the Ship should be run, flak from me among many others, I want to say I think this idea is absolutely fantastic, and I look forward to seeing how it works out. Thanks for this, IngoB.

Thirded.

Tubbs

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

re: a prayer board. Actual prayer needs are well served in AS. Discussion of corporate prayer fits well in Ecclesiantics.

But, I agree with Ingo that there is no obvious space for discussion of personal prayer - whether that's praying the rosary, Daily Office, or good old evangelical quiet times. So, I think that there might be legs in a board where personal prayer and devotion could be discussed.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why discussion of personal devotions can't be taken in Ecclesiantics - it is after all a worship practice. Arguably, significant parts of the Daily Office discussions relate to personal devotions.

ETA: The Prayers that really move you thread could be seen as a current example.

[ 09. July 2014, 20:29: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

But, I agree with Ingo that there is no obvious space for discussion of personal prayer - whether that's praying the rosary, Daily Office, or good old evangelical quiet times. So, I think that there might be legs in a board where personal prayer and devotion could be discussed.

Yay! This does sound cool. [Smile] Thanks, IngoB!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016