homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Intersection between autism, feminism and abuse - and scapegoating

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Intersection between autism, feminism and abuse - and scapegoating
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi folks,

Just a short thought.

Re all the abuse and rape culture threads on the back of the Elliott Rodger thing.. I was wondering why I came under attack from some of the younger feminists..

To the extent of being called a "troll" - nto even making "human", although I believe I was being respectful.

Is there a subtext of ableism running through some feminist schools of thought? So that as a white, heterosexual, Christian, autism-spectrum male, I am, in some eyes, subhuman?

It's a horrible feeling, being deemed a scapegoat by some prominent groups...

Thoughts? Prayer support would be good...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Hi folks,

Just a short thought.

Re all the abuse and rape culture threads on the back of the Elliott Rodger thing.. I was wondering why I came under attack from some of the younger feminists..

To the extent of being called a "troll" - nto even making "human", although I believe I was being respectful.

Is there a subtext of ableism running through some feminist schools of thought? So that as a white, heterosexual, Christian, autism-spectrum male, I am, in some eyes, subhuman?

It's a horrible feeling, being deemed a scapegoat by some prominent groups...

Thoughts? Prayer support would be good...

Feminists don't call out rape culture because they're ableist. Neither do feminists think that men on the autistic spectrum are subhuman. Troll is not an ableist term but one commonly used all over the internet.

Feminism has issues with ableism in the form of not properly including disabled women within feminism, but calling a man a troll doesn't come into that category. Many, many feminists are disabled.

Seriously, is this a wind-up? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Link, anyone?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Point was I was called "misogynist" on those Hell threads when I believe I an egalitarian - most Aspies are.

I seemed to be declared "creepy", "misogynistic" etc simply for straying from an apparent party line..

It just feels as though I have a mark of Cain because of my chromosomal makeup and neurology - and it confuses me as to why I would be judged that way.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

No.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is ruminating about this helpful to you Alex ? Those threads were a while ago, what is the most positive outcome to this thread that you envisage ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Point was I was called "misogynist" on those Hell threads when I believe I an egalitarian - most Aspies are.

I seemed to be declared "creepy", "misogynistic" etc simply for straying from an apparent party line..

It just feels as though I have a mark of Cain because of my chromosomal makeup and neurology - and it confuses me as to why I would be judged that way.

It has nothing to do with your autism. People say that you're misogynistic because they think you're misogynistic - I realise you don't think so, but other people can hold those views without it being because you're autistic and they're being ableist.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So nobody wishes to provide any evidence of anything.

Is a public forum the best place for this?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

IT had been rumbling in the back of my mind for a while - and just needed to get the thoughts down...
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alex, you might find it more helpful to do that in a personal journal. Then you can share that to discuss, if you need to, with someone whom you know and trust - and are able to meet face to face.

[ 14. August 2014, 20:25: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God, is this back? Please, hosts, shut it down.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am completely and totally lost here.

[Confused]

I am not sure that that is a bad thing, however...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've read through this thread several times and really cannot see it as appropriate for All Saints but then I really can't see immediately where else it can go. I am closing it temporarily whilst we consider this backstage.

Welease Woderwick
All Saints Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alex,

We've been considering this thread backstage. I'll remind you of the earlier advice and warning issued by Spike on the Abuse of Men thread in Hell, not to post on the subjects of rape and abuse. This thread has clearly been a return to those subjects which have not been good for you to discuss, and by extension have created work for the hosts. These subjects bring out the worst in you, and I strongly advice you to refrain from further posts on them.

Needless to say, this thread will remain closed.

Alan
Ship of Fools Admin

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016