homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weird and Wonderful

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Weird and Wonderful
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...outfits we've seen at church.

This started as a tangent on another thread and got me interested. What have you seen, in glorious Technicolor spangled glory?

I give you an adult in a pair of white fluffy bunny ears, with a flashing LED light crown.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One place I visited on a rather warm summer day played host to a gentleman in a sky blue suit (a bit like this) plus grey socks and brown sandals.

Maybe not wonderful, but certainly a fashion faux pax of noteworthy proportions.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have a gentleman, well, I should maybe say 'gentle man' who came to church in a suit jacket and bermuda shorts. And loafers on his feet. He was a nice man. Just dressed a bit differently!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that's how the guys at the seminary used to dress on picture day--clerical shirt and suit jacket above, shorts and hairy legs below.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... plus grey socks and brown sandals ...

That's a whole faux pas in itself ... [Big Grin]

I can't take issue with JJ's Bermuda-shorts bloke - after all, she does live somewhere rather hot. Much hotter than here, and I wear crop-trousers under my cassock all summer.

Then again, the fact that they're under my cassock may be part of the point.

edited for spleling

[ 28. October 2014, 01:18: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or he could be a-wearin'...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The younger members of our congregation supply rich materials for this thread. The lo-rider pants, with the grin of tighty-whities visible above the waistband. The startlingly sheer and decollete blouses of certain teen girls. The soccer shorts and knee socks -- clearly services are being taken in on the way to the afternoon game.

The most startling garment I personally wear to church is this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/86553624064073831/
I knit it myself, from the pattern by Kaffe Fassett. It stops traffic.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

The most startling garment I personally wear to church is this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/86553624064073831/

Truly a coat of many colours. Love it!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most interesting attire? hmmm...

We had a very sweet and well, shapely, young woman who had led a very... um... adventurous life in the recent past, who had a religious conversion and became active in our church. She asked to be baptized as a sign of her newfound faith. On the Sunday in question, her boyfriend gave her a ride to church on the back of his Harley. When they arrived at the church he kissed her soundly and then sent her off with a soft smack on the bum. When she came forward to baptism we could not help but notice that her cute short mini-skirt was now adorned with two greasy but clear handprints to the derriere.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is quite gorgeous and I would wear it too.
Mind you, I've often turned up to church in a homemade 1970's maxi dress, boots and bright green dreads so maybe I'm not representative of what is suitable attire [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's gorgeous, Brenda.

A young woman wears shorts and bare feet to my husband's church, which would be a little odd in the pews, but she's the song leader and always stands at the front of the congo. Last week she was eating a bowl of oatmeal during the first few minutes.

On the other extreme, my church has a new young bride from the Ukraine who believes in Dressing Up for church. The first time I saw her she was in a bright red, tight, satin evening gown with a very low top. She's a bit plump which makes her even more scrumptious looking. Each week is another spectacular dress fit for the red carpet. I look forward to seeing her.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Ooh, we have the most lovely African outfits on some of our fellow immigrants--gorgeous dyed cloth to die for, gold and spangled headdresses, baby slings of many colored stripes, and guys in maroon zoot suits. Every time I see these people I want to go out and rob a fabric store.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[tangent]I never darken a church door but I have a few handmade woollies get compliments in the street. Exclusively from women though, and usually of my generation, since they are a) not shy of addressing a stranger and b) recognise the skill involved. [/tangent]
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Ooh, we have the most lovely African outfits on some of our fellow immigrants--gorgeous dyed cloth to die for, gold and spangled headdresses, baby slings of many colored stripes, and guys in maroon zoot suits. Every time I see these people I want to go out and rob a fabric store.

A lovely friend from Sierra Leone who said the prayers at our wedding wore a stunning traditional dress and head dress in gold fabric, she was quite dazzling. And her name meant 'heavenly' so very fitting too [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BC, that knitted leaf-coat is gorgeous - will you make one for me? [Big Grin]

On the woollen coat/compliment tangent, I have a "boiled-wool" coat with an embroidered floral pattern on it that I've been wearing for the last 10 winters; there's never been a season when I haven't had compliments about it, and not exclusively from women.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, the joke is that there is a knitters' secret handshake. Meet person, grab forearm, lean in to peer at it. Exclaim, "Is that an Aran cable, or a slip stitch pattern?" It is appropriate to fondle the sweater only to judge the fiber content.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016