homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New Year's Day London-ish Walk?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: New Year's Day London-ish Walk?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year, New Year's Day is a Thursday and there are no TfL works planned. Does anyone fancy a New Year's Day walk?

Any suggestions on where to go?

Having started this, I'm promptly going to be away for the next few days and not taking a laptop, although I will have a phone.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds a good idea (assuming that I haven't been sill on the 31st). Any ideas for walks? There are some ncie places over this wasy (Richmond Park, Thames path etc) but happy to go anywhere people facny.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might come along depending on location and start time. I am doing a double parkrun, Bushy Park at 9 and Crane Park at 10.30 but free after that.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the walks that comes recommended is West Byfleet to Hampton Court which is 10 miles, or there are sections of the Thames Path. We have so far walked Tower Bridge to Waterloo, Putney to Hampton Court (and Mr cattyish, Curious Kitten and I have walked Greenwich to Woolwich, past the Thames Barrier). That leaves Hampton to Staines (12 miles), Thames Eye to Putney (8 miles) or Staines to Windsor (8 miles) which goes past Runnymede an the Magna Carta memorial if we want to keep walking this one.

The other alternative is to see if we can complete the London LOOP walk - I've done bits with different people over the years, most recently the section from Ewell to Kingston Bridge (well, we fell off into the pub and met Uncle Pete, but we did most of it). That would eventually find its way out to me, so at some point my travel would reduce. The next section there would be Kingston Bridge to Hatton Cross (8½ miles).

To be honest, the way I'm coughing I suspect that a 5½ mile circular walk around Barnes, Chiswick and Hammersmith is more within my limits.

Does anyone have any preferences?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Barnes-Chiswick walk looks nice; I have no idea what state I would be in after walking 12 miles but 5-ish I can do.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Barnes walk sounds ideal. When shall we meet up. It might just be me, though I'll try to persuade my son to come along, my husband isn't feeling too good.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd also like to come and walk this Thursday - where it is when decided.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

What time is moonlitdoor finished? if he wants to come on something so pedestrian?

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anything is entitled to be pedestrian, I suppose it is a walk. If you are starting at Barnes Bridge station, then I could be there at 11.50 but don't worry about me if you want to go earlier.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Being lazy I was wondering about starting from Hammersmith and ending up in the Dove - cos I can do that one from the tube and not have to tube to a mainline station and then catch an overground train, which I'll have to do for Chiswick or Barnes.

Shall we say Hammersmith Bridge at midday? Then we could end up in The Dove if we fancied it later on.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sounds good to me.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So exactly on tomorrow ? At what time and how to get there ? Where exactly ?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Hammersmith Bridge at 12 noon, the north bank, left hand side of the bridge

(It's going to be easier finding people there than at the tube station)

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

I'll say no. I was amazed that I thought you'd chosen somewhere as convenient for me as Barnes Bridge given how inconvenient it would have been for the rest of you. Hammersmith would take me quite a bit longer and I couldn't get there by midday, so I'll say enjoy your walk and I'll join another time.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

That's a shame - we'll be in Barnes shortly afterwards - it's the next stop around on the walk. We cross Hammersmith Bridge to join you in Barnes about half an hour later.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

I'm very sorry but I won't be able to come either. Apparently I have other plans for tomorrow...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK - as I'm still barking like a sea lion, do we abandon this?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Maybe, perhaps re-arrange for later in January?

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Yes, maybe another day, and the fact that it is going to be wet this afternoon...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016