homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Spiritual Reading

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Spiritual Reading
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What sort of spiritual reading do you do? Is it just the scriptures or is it something else? Do you have any favorite authors or favorite works? Do you set some time aside every day or is it only once in a while?

I'm following one of those plans to read the Bible (and the Catholic Catechism) in a year and I try to read the day's readings from mass. I'm also finishing St. Francis de Sales' "Introduction to the Devout Life". I'd read most of it before but I hadn't finished the last quarter of the book.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting question. Because I've been rethinking a number of things over the last few years I've found the Bible very difficult - when reading it my mind fell back into its old unhelpful patterns. Even the way the text is arranged in most Bibles, with those double columns to a page, currently makes my brain scramble. So I bought myself a Message study Bible, which has the text like a conventional book, and read the whole thing cover to cover. Not sure I'd call that "spiritual reading" though - I felt more driven by the need to be able to say I'd read the whole thing than gaining any spiritual insights from it. [Roll Eyes]

I currently don't really read the Bible in an organised way at all. I read authors like Richard Rohr, and Martin Laird, and am currently partway through a book by Peter Enns called "The Bible Tells Me So... Why defending Scripture has made us unable to read it" which I'm quite enjoying although it's a tad repetitive.

Nen - looking forward to reading other contributions to this discussion.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do a lot of spiritual reading. I confess that little of it is the Bible except for the Gospels. Every so often I try to use a lectionary but usually that falls by the wayside.

Some of my favorite spiritual books are:

In the spirit of happiness / the Monks of New Skete
The ladder of the beatitudes / Jim Forest
Story of a soul / Therese of Lisieux
Dorothy Day's letters and journals
When things fall apart / Pema Chodron
Toward holy ground / Margaret Guenther
Autobiography of a yogi / Paramahansa Yogananda
Etty: the letters and diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fond of C.S. Lewis's apologetics.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016