homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » re Christmas in the New Forest

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: re Christmas in the New Forest
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi

I am dropping a line to see whether anyone is interested in meeting up in Brockenhurst, possibly doing some carol singing and having a spot of lunch. There are some nice cafes in the village which can do a decent lunch for under £10, also with options suitable for small people. We are also on a main line between London and the West Country which is handy.

I am thinking of lunchtime on Sat 20th, our village church usually does carol singing in the biggest road with shops just before lunchtime (every year since we've been here) though they haven't published their Xmas schedule yet.

It is possible that we may supply some cake [grin].

I realise this is the last shopping Saturday before Xmas but really, this would be much more fun!

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hesitate to respond first being the non-believer around here!!! However, It would be delightful to say hello to you and the others I have had the pleasure of meeting before. The past two years have been just a tad busy:) - symptoms leading to open-heart surgery last year, then serious injuries following being knocked down by a car, and finishing off with an endarterectomy in August this year! Fortunately, I've bounced back and am only just a smidgin off being fully fit and repaired now.

[ 15. November 2014, 17:02: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow what a time you have had!! We have been not very frequently in circulation with various health issues and the demands of 2 small children, I don't think you've met the smallest. It would be lovely to see you again
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking that it's bren such a long time since a local meet.

Put me down as a tentative....

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

It would be lovely to see as many of you as can make it [Smile]
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in! And susandoris, it would be lovely to see you again - you could stay inside in the warm and we'll join you.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in as well! Brockenhurst isn't far from here on the A35 and I'd love to come and meet up.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

We are wondering re venue [[http://www.thebuttery.org/pdf/TheButteryBrockenhurst.pdf Brock and Bruin]] and [[http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190805-d2460502-Reviews-Rosie_Lea_Tea_House_Bakery-Brockenhurst_New_Forest_ National_Park_Hampshire_Englan.html Rosie Leas]] - not sure what they will do for Xmas specials
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Rosie Lea Brock n Bruin
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a lovely venue with good food.
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

which one [Smile]
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Oh, I got confused [Razz] - actually, both are good, although I prefer the Brock & Bruin simply for all the bears.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good food and bears - what more could one ask? [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reckon you could join us Piglet? [Biased]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to, but it's a long swim for a small piglet, and somewhat cold at this time of year.

Maybe one day ... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

tiddely pom
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me]

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Brock and Bruin Xmas menu

Parsnip and apple soup, sage croutons
Fried crumbed Somerset brie, redcurrant sauce, leaves
Smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill, melba toast

Roast turkey, trimmings
Maple glazed salmon fillet, ratatouille, new potatoes
Lamb navarin, rosemary, mash
Spinach and ricotta plait, tomato basil sauce, vegetables

Xmas pud, brandy sauce
Sticky toffee pud, butterscotch sauce, cream
Profiteroles, chocolate sauce (homemade)

2 courses 9.99, 3 courses 12.99

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Dave is looking very enthusiastic about this meet up.
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

It would be good to have some more discussion of numbers and then I could book, last time (some years back) they wanted menu choices.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Yum - my choice is lamb & Christmas pud
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

Its looking suspiciously likely that I'm going to have to work that weekend, so I don't want to commit to a meal I might not be able to eat or pay for! If I can make it, I will..
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

We wouldn't want you to be in that situation Ferijen, do pop along if you have the time.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm salivating, for the puds I'll have everything!

Sorry I can't join you.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a lovely meal there on our way from Southampton to Weymouth in 2011, but as we're 12000 miles away we can only vicariously enjoy the experience. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That menu looks good! I'll have a proper look later today and choose.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like the turkey and the sticky toffee pudding, please.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I would like Soup and then Salmon, please.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Welsh Dragon

Just wondering whether tomorrow's lunch is going to take place?! I'd be grateful if you could post something today. Thank you.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I was wondering to, although to be honest I've assumed it's not going ahead and begun to think about plans for the day.
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I was wondering to, although to be honest I've assumed it's not going ahead and begun to think about plans for the day.

Ah, yes; same here.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

Me too, unfortunately. Maybe Christmas is a bit too busy and we should try again in the New Year?

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Apologies, I had in fact booked a table for everyone here who said they would like a meal. I can speak to the Brock n Bruin and explain 3 people can't come but that we are likely to be rebooking in the New Year, we will be carolling and lunching anyway.
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Shall I start a new thread? (And remember to update it more frequently! [Smile] ) If anyone is in the area and fancies coming along for some carol singing, theywould be very welcome!
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Carol singing is 11am next to the Xmas tree opposite Tesco's in Brookley Road in Brockenhurst village incidentally...
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

And no probs re cancelling 3 places at the restaurant, though we'll be having lunch as a family of 4 at the Brock n Bruin at 12.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Shall I start a new thread? (And remember to update it more frequently! [Smile] ) If anyone is in the area and fancies coming along for some carol singing, they would be very welcome!

Yes, please.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016