homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise and Thanksgiving 2014 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving 2014
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the thread for the giving of thanks not just to God but to those people and organizations that have influenced our lives for good whether momentarily or over the longer term.

All that we have comes from God, may we all be faithful in giving thanks.

-- WW

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May we always be thankful for all those whom GOD surrounds us with. Those, who while not being our blood, are more than family in many ways. We thank those for the coming year who will help us get through.
God bless us, everyone.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank You, Lord, for good friends. As a popular fridge magnet says, 'Friends are the family you make yourself'.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I give thanks for a lovely Christmas season, which--so far-- has included the engagement, and very soon afterwards, the wedding, of one of my children! And much good time spent with all my nearest and dearest.
I feel very blessed.

--------------------
Pondering.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to the Shipmates. Your wit and inight, your kindness and comeradery have sustained me in ways you will never know.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] I have been brave and started a (long overdue) Very Good Thing [Yipee]

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... your kindness and comeradery have sustained me in ways you will never know.

Isn't that what we're here for? [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I moved this week.

After far too long a period of instability, I've been able to move into an apartment. (Shared, but asking for more would be pushing it...)

My life is starting to turn around, and I'm grateful for everybody that helped make it possible.

[Angel] [Cool]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just received the news that a young friend with stage 3B cancer has been negative for cancer in the last 2 tests. I can not begin to express the thankful joy I am feeling for him and all who love him.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something is different on my "compline" (Mac) and I had problems about getting into my e-mail. I prayed all day and now God has got me onto the e-mails! Thank you, God. You are a loving one! [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a 'God works all things for good' sort of a way; following her husband's unexpected death last week (posted on prayer thread), the parents of V entered her house for the first time in over 20 years. We don't think they've ever met the younger two grandchildren. Praying for further reconciliation.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank God for the good health and happy, active life of my 89 year old father. May it long continue. [Axe murder] [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news and good appointment with one of the docs today. It's been such an odyssey that I have to share the success. Maybe things are on the upswing.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am giving thanks for knowing the signs of drowning, and for the speed with which the lifeguards at the pool responded.

Today could've had a very different outcome otherwise.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

For Scotland's Equal Marriage bill going through. Mostly relief, but that's a form of thanksgiving, right?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son-in-law had his interview to get his permanent residency status today, and all went well and he was approved.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday was a bad day for my partner because of a crazy decision made by her manager that was really hurtful (and plain mean, I think).

In the evening, after mopping up buckets of tears, we were sitting reading and the phone rang. It was a lovely guy from the church we used to attend. He and his wife are people we have been acquainted with for years and its always a pleasant experience, but we hadn't seen him for at least 18 months.

He rang to tell us that our names had been mentioned in Sunday's sermon, in regard to how welcoming we had made the church choir, and how our attitude to inclusivity had made all the difference to the preacher. You could have knocked us over with a feather!

My thanks for people like Brian, who want to pass on good news.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the lashing of rain and wind, grateful thanks for a moment of warm sunshine
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My aunt who was in a coma, on life support and not expected to last through the night over a week ago has made a very rapid recovery and was released from hospital today. Praise God!

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gave a talk about my trade union work to one of our church clubs last night. I was extremely nervous, but prayed about it and it turned out wonderfully. I relaxed and enjoyed the whole thing. Thank You, Lord! [Yipee]

[ 20. February 2014, 05:46: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crocuses!!!!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another nephew!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Uncle Wodders!

I'm here to say that my job's been guaranteed until June, when another funding application is going in, and my boss is going to do everything she can to keep me on.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been ten years since my first mini shipmeet.

Giving thanks for this place.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very thankful that Miss M has had ten days at home without a recurrence of the side effects of the second round of chemo. That put her back in hospital with a temperature of 41°C and pronounced heart arrhythmia.

[ 27. February 2014, 22:11: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I am grateful for the life of Joan, and all the people she made happy.

I'm thankful for Camp Sloane YMCA, which I suddenly missed massively this evening. My experience of working there was amazing, and helps me to be a better teacher now, even after all these years.

[ 02. March 2014, 19:11: Message edited by: Mad Cat ]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving thanks for some people who changed their minds. My parents were looking to move home, but the couple they are buying off threatened to derail the whole chain, which would have made another couple (first time buyers) homeless.

Am grateful it all got sorted and the contract exchange took place last night.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doctors are very happy with Miss M's response overall to the chemo since the beginning of they year. She is making progress. Chemo will continue for another four months continuously and then less often for several years. While numbers may be good, it is known that the extra sessions are needed to prevent relapse.

We are especially happy as the chemo induced diabetes and pancreatitis are fading as chemo type changes.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter bought her first car!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A year or so ago I asked for prayers for a young couple who had just had a stillborn baby - yesterday the husband, a neighbour, stopped me to say that his wife had, just the previous day, been delivered of healthy, bouncy twin girls!

The size of his smile was amazing!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For thanks to those who prayed for me.

[Votive] Thanks and praise to you Lord for the embrace of the Holy Spirit, which has strengthened me; for the reminder that it's as important to care for our spiritual health as it is to care for our physical and mental health; and for the metaphorical touch of coal on my lips (which has the appearance of having physically had my lips burned!) and which has already helped me to say the right thing, and to refrain from saying the wrong thing.

[minor coding tweak - WW]

[ 06. March 2014, 13:12: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

THANK YOU LORD that i can finally understand this pile of papers before me [Smile]
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother is coming home for a visit! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

We haven't seen him for fourteen years. Daughter-Unit and I were just speaking of him Tuesday, trying to remember how long it's been since we saw him. We figured twelve to thirteen years.

So today, he answered that question as he asked if it would be OK to come for about two weeks. Please!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Out of the blue and after nearly four years without paid employment, the Least likely person at a place where I volunteer has offered specific help to get me back into paid work. (Quite a lot of specific help actually)

I am surprised/ happy/ grateful/ shocked/ humbled/ happy/ alarmed/ excited....and all at once. Thank you Lord.

maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Middlemost Child returned from college Saturday night, safe and sound. She will be home for three months, working and doing a couple of online classes (this is a regular part of her college's program - students go and work every third term, and the school year is year-round).
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praise God that a close family member is settled in her new home after so many upsets and disappointments.

Thanks especially for a Shippie's prayers as well.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have had a lovely letter from the schoolteacher who was the biggest influence on my fledgling Christian life. I give thanks for her regularly. However, she was evangelical and, I thought, disapproved of my steady progress towards liberalism. And so I thought she no longer wanted contact; it's been several years since we were last in contact. She said she was clearing out old paperwork and came across some old letters and wants to get back in touch.

Perhaps she's going to try to get me back on the path of righteousness!

I'm overjoyed to hear from her.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving thanks for my mother's move into a retirement flat today. Four years after my father's death, she is finally in a place where she can relax and not have too many worries about the upkeep of a big house and garden. Thank You God for her lovely estate agent who even fixed her telly for her (yes, I know!)

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have so much to be thankful for. Among the more surprising things is -- a new house! Dear husband and I had been looking to relocate to a town closer to family. Last September we came thiiiissss close to closing a deal on a unique home; heartbreak. But lo and behold, half a year later, it's ours!
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given how often I moan about and ask prayers for my work situation on the Ship, I should really also give praise when praise is due. Departmental shuffling meant that a few weeks ago I had a change of manager from Shite-Manager-2.0 to a new manager about whom there were promising signs from the off. A few weeks in, I continue to like my new manager's management style and consider her to be quite fab. Hooray!

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the evening of April 5-6 1969, I walked from my residence at University across the street to St Michael and All Angels Roman Catholic Church where, during the Easter Vigil, I was received into the Church.

45 years have passed, and at this point in time, it is a decision I have never regretted.

There have been bumpy times but now, in my increasing age, I feel that my ship has come into a safe harbour.

[Votive] and [Smile]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(((Uncle Pete))) [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Giving thanks for the wee church up the road and their Holy Week services. This may well become my refuge.

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving special thanks for the hard work, talent and dedication of choirs, Lay Clerks, organists & other church musicians - and for golden-voiced clergy!!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving thanks for our suddenly improved (long may it continue!) internet connection which has meant we have been able to Skype family and friends just as I was feeling horrendously homesick and cut off.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Delighted that we have been able to book a long planned holiday in Victoria BC for the hotel and time that we wanted. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I had a pretty spectacular failure of my gas grill a few days ago. Many thanks to God for the thing not exploding, and that the fire generated did not ignite the rapidly escaping propane.

Also, very grateful for the firemen who took care of the situation and very emphatically told me I had handled the situation correctly.

I still have a house! [Yipee]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks be to God for all the people who put my insides back where they ought to be, and that I am going HOME!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Yay, Lamb Chopped! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016