homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Book-keeping: the book group thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Book-keeping: the book group thread
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn! I've let the book group thread sink again, sorry folks!

The programme that I have noted on a scrap of paper for this year is:

Currently - Mark Mills, The Savage Garden ; do pop over to that thread if you'd like to join in.

February - Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which is recently out in paperback in the UK. This thread will be led by Trudy.

March - P.D. James, Death Comes to Pemberley. The thread will be led by Chelley.

April - Jeet Thayil, Narcopolis. This thread has no leader assigned. Do volunteer if you've read it and would like to lead the discussion.

May - A book was suggested and accepted for the programme but I didn't note it on my scrap.
Please let me know what it was and who was going to lead it if you know or can find out. [Hot and Hormonal]

Please consider joining in our book threads - the more the merrier. We do struggle sometimes but those of us who participate enjoy reading books that we wouldn't otherwise pick up.

[ 01. January 2014, 19:45: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May book was apparently Time's Echo by Pamela Harthorne
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Late Paul. Searching Oblivion I couldn't find anything recent.
So, after this month the programme so far is:

February - Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which is recently out in paperback in the UK. This thread will be led by Trudy.

March - P.D. James, Death Comes to Pemberley. The thread will be led by Chelley.

April - Jeet Thayil, Narcopolis. This thread has no leader assigned. Do volunteer if you've read it and would like to lead the discussion.

May - Pamela Harthorne, Time's Echo, possibly led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to join in with February's. [Smile]

Nen - who has been to Amazon and Bought Now With One Click.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Excellent. Good choice, Nenya.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God willing, sometime next year my novel will be on Kindle or Nook and might be worthy of discussion. All I have to do is finish it, have it copy-edited by my wife and analyzed for salability by my brother-in-law who could introduce me to his agent: Pat is a published author and is published on Kindle as well as in older paperbacks. It is all plotted, but I'm only about 2600 words in out of 50,000 required for NaNoWriMo...

[Big Grin]

Three Men on a Bummel, a sort of sequel to Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome, is published as an e-book: I read it on Nook and would be happy to lead the discussion in June, July or August of this year.

For my money, Three Men in a Boat, is the funniest work of fiction written in the nineteenth century. My hardback copy is well over a hundred years old; The sequel may well be available in a modern paperback - contact your local booksellers.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Let us know, Sir K!

Please join in the book group in February when we will be reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
The thread will start at the beginning of the month.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I agrreed to lead May's choice Time's Echo.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
I think I agrreed to lead May's choice Time's Echo.

Thank you! [Smile]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

It's a new month, so here's a refresher listing the forthcoming books up for discussion.
January's thread struggled somewhat so I hope there will be more takers for the wonderful book we have lined up (IMO) for
February - Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry . This thread will be led by Trudy.

May - Pamela Harthorne, Time's Echo, led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Bumping up.
Please join in the current thread if you are reading about Harold Fry and his unlikely pilgrimage.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three Men on a Bummel - June?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

If it is on Kindle, I shall get my lovely bride of nearly 35 years to access it on her iMac app. when she gets home from school...

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Treble post: I'll be happy to lead it, as I led Three Men in a Boat. It is available on e-books: that's where I read it and where I shall re-read it!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Thanks for the suggestion Sir K.
Could I have some idea of who would be interested in reading Three Men on the Bummel please?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Thanks for the suggestion Sir K.
Could I have some idea of who would be interested in reading Three Men on the Bummel please?

Looks like no one is interested, sorry Sir K.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

If you'd like to join in the book group next month - tomorrow -get yourself a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James.
Chelley will lead the discussion.

The next two months are as follows:

May - Pamela Harthorne, Time's Echo, led by Gussie.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Not long till April when the book up for discussion is Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil.
There's no leader for this one so please volunteer if you can.
I won't be reading this so a little thread watching help would be appreciated.

Also we could do with some more suggestions as the programme is about to run out.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Intrigued by this article in The Independent I downloaded this book to my kindle. I must say it's making a nice change from Les Miserables which I've been ploughing through on and off for the last few months.
Is anyone else up to discussing Amish romantic fiction?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Intrigued by this article in The Independent I downloaded this book to my kindle. I must say it's making a nice change from Les Miserables which I've been ploughing through on and off for the last few months.
Is anyone else up to discussing Amish romantic fiction?

I'm intrigued enough to consider adding Plain Perfect to the programme.
My library service doesn't stock it so it would have to be a purchase.
What does anyone else think?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've just finished Plain Perfect . A light romance, but it did have some potentially interesting discussion points about faith, trust and (for want of a better way of describing it) different life-style choices. Might be worth discussing, but not if it's difficult for people to get hold off.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Darn! I've let the book group thread sink again, sorry folks!

The programme that I have noted on a scrap of paper for this year is:

March - P.D. James, Death Comes to Pemberley. The thread will be led by Chelley...

Please consider joining in our book threads - the more the merrier. We do struggle sometimes but those of us who participate enjoy reading books that we wouldn't otherwise pick up.

Still enjoying that on the Nook appp on our iMac: more than halfway through as life grinds along while the prisoner awaits his trial. Had yesterday off, so I wrote a thousand words and then I wrote a bit: wish I had the real Nook - at school today I get to teach art and likely will have two prep periods.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If "Plain Perfect" is definitely going to be discussed I'd consider joining in, although I'd need to buy it and it does seem rather expensive, even on Kindle. Would it be June's book?

Nen - saving her pennies in case she needs to Buy With One Click. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

For my money, Three Men in a Boat is the funniest work of fiction written in the nineteenth century.

Agree! [Biased]
Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Okey doke,

June's book will be Plain Perfect by Beth Wiseman

Preceded by Pamela Harthorne, Time's Echo, led by Gussie in May.

Not ignoring the comments about Three Men in a Boat btw. It's just that we read and discussed it here a few years ago.
So many books, so little time.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Time to get your orders in for Pamela Harthorne's book Time's Echo if you'd like to join in the book group in May.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Apologies, the author's surname is in fact Hartshorne.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Is that on Nook or Kindle? We've no need for non-electronic books!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Hi Kevin,

Yep Time's Echo is available on Kindle. Hope you'll give it a whirl.

[ 27. April 2013, 20:21: Message edited by: Gussie ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Is that on Nook or Kindle? We've no need for non-electronic books!

I think, if you want to join the discussion, it's up to you to find a copy of the book - whether buying hard copy, borrowing from a library or downloading to an electronic reader.

As a regular participant, you should know how to check out the various options.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

June's book is Plain Perfect by Beth Wiseman.
Get hold of a copy and join in if you can.
This one is a new genre for me!
Gussie, are you up for leading again or shall we have a free for all? [Big Grin]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm happy to lead this, but it's the sort of book where I think anyone can join in. There are lots of 'Bonnet Rippers' so if you can't get hold of this particular title I think we could discuss the genre in general.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got my hands on Plain Perfect. If you don't mind me over-analyzing a book again, I'll try to join [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I"ll really enjoy your comments LeRoc.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaargh! Page 77.

Must. Finish.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Suggestions required for future reads please.
Preferably something that shipmates would like to read, doesn't have to be fiction.
Should be widely available and in paperback.
If you're happy to lead the discussion if your suggestion is taken up please indicate.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've just finished Merivel by Rose Tremain which I very much enjoyed. It's a sequel to Restoration which is arguably a better book. Does anyone fancy reading either of them?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Looks interesting. Anyone else?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I'm intrigued by Simon's review of A Vicar, Crucified by Simon Parke.
It's available in paperback.
Shall I add it to the programme?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Aye to both books. I won't have much time to lead a discussion in the next couple of months, but I might want to try near the end of the year.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Count me in for 'A Vicar Crucified', I like crerical murder mysteries.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Excellent.
Therefore:
July, Merivel by Rose Tremain
August, A Vicar, Crucified by Simon Parke.

Happy to take more suggestions; look forward to your contributions in due course, LeRoc.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Is Merivel OK with everyone? As I said it's a sequel to Restoration . Merivel does have the first few chapter of the first book at the end so you can get an idea of the story, and nothing in it directly relates to what happens in the previous book. There is also a film that you could watch to get the general gist of the story. However if people prefer we could read Restoration instead.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to try reading Restoration first, but I'm not sure whether I can manage either by late July.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Count me in for 'A Vicar Crucified' mysteries.

Me, too! I like a good thriller.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would join in if it were Restoration - I don't like to read the sequel of a book that I haven't read, so I would want to read Restoration first.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I would also like to read A Vicar, Crucified.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Looks like it's Restoration in July then?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

For me, it can be either Merivel or Restoration in July. Just let me know.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Let's go with Restoration , but maybe refer to Merivel as well, if you've read it. Or is that too confusing?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016