homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Natural Law is (now) incomprehensible (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Natural Law is (now) incomprehensible
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
which is paraphrase of a statement contained in the preparatory document for the Synod of Bishops coming up in the RC Church.

This statement is part of a summary of some of the results of the Pope's questionnaire which was distributed world-wide recently.

quote:
“In a vast majority of responses and observations, the concept of natural law today turns out to be, in different cultural contexts, highly problematic, if not completely incomprehensible.”
from
from Mark Silk writing in Religion News Service

further quote:

quote:
In other words, the way to make reason more comprehensible in today’s world is through revelation. I suppose this comports with St. Anselm’s thousand-year-old notion of “faith seeking understanding.” But it doesn’t say much for natural law as a self-sufficient, universally graspable system of thought
Should be good for some discussion. Go for it. I'm not particularly aware of the concept of "natural law" in the first place, so an explanation of that might help get us started.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've struggled a lot with this. My first step was to appreciate that natural law does not mean that some things are unnatural and therefore wrong, for example, lawn sprinklers or teeth implants.

It is more to do with certain ends which bring about the flourishing of things; thus, spiders build webs, so as to catch prey.

But building webs isn't morally good, because spiders lack intellect and will.

Hurrah! I've got this far. Is it too early for a drink?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure there was a recent-ish thread on natural law, but I can't find it right now.

One thing I've never got my head round is how natural law claims to interact with the scientific method. Natural law involves observing the world and drawing inferences from what you observe. Science claims to have a method of observing the world which is, under certain conditions, better than alternatives. There are a number of issues on which (most) people who use science seem to reach different conclusions than (most) people who use natural law.

Now it could be that proponents of natural law are happy with the scientific method but go on to draw moral conclusions that are outside the scope of science. That would be fine, but it would mean that it'd be reasonable to ask what scientific beliefs (i.e. facts about nature) are the foundation of particular bits of natural law, so that we could revisit the natural law if our relevant understanding of nature changed.

It could also be that there is a distinct difference between the manner in which you need to observe the world to do natural law and the manner in which you need to observe the world in order to do science. If that was the case, it would be very helpful if proponents of natural law did a better job of explaining why their manner of observing must differ and how it differs.

As it is, it's easy to mistake natural law for science that's 700 years out of date.

[ 31. July 2014, 09:23: Message edited by: *Leon* ]

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The article defines Natural Law as (universal moral law) that is a) somehow built into the universe
b) accessible by reason.
So that it gives a standard of conduct that those who've never heard the Gospel in any form can reasonably be expected to live up to.

So for example, at risk of incurring the Wrath of Godwin, the Nuremburg trials decided that certain war crimes were such that the perpetrators should have known that they were morally wrong, despite living in a culture which approved them.

The article doesn't give much explanation as to what aspects of modern life make the idea of natural law "incomprehensible". Frankly, the Vatican doesn't have much experience of listening to people, and interpreting the results of this sort of survey may not be something they're very practiced at...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
I'm sure there was a recent-ish thread on natural law, but I can't find it right now.

One thing I've never got my head round is how natural law claims to interact with the scientific method. Natural law involves observing the world and drawing inferences from what you observe. Science claims to have a method of observing the world which is, under certain conditions, better than alternatives. There are a number of issues on which (most) people who use science seem to reach different conclusions than (most) people who use natural law.

Now it could be that proponents of natural law are happy with the scientific method but go on to draw moral conclusions that are outside the scope of science. That would be fine, but it would mean that it'd be reasonable to ask what scientific beliefs (i.e. facts about nature) are the foundation of particular bits of natural law, so that we could revisit the natural law if our relevant understanding of nature changed.

It could also be that there is a distinct difference between the manner in which you need to observe the world to do natural law and the manner in which you need to observe the world in order to do science. If that was the case, it would be very helpful if proponents of natural law did a better job of explaining why their manner of observing must differ and how it differs.

As it is, it's easy to mistake natural law for science that's 700 years out of date.

Isn't natural law a philosophical conclusion, not a scientific one?
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Isn't natural law a philosophical conclusion, not a scientific one?

It (probably) isn't a scientific conclusion, but it is based on 'nature'. So it is reasonable to ask how the observation of nature differs from other methods of observing nature that people might be more familiar with. Such as the one used by science.

(As an aside, I'm not quite sure whether the conclusion is best called 'philosophical' or 'theological'. Or even, possibly, very bad science.)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Natural Law is a philosophical conclusion. It is a philosophical position (possibly theological) that starts with an assumption that moral rights and wrongs can be determined from observation of nature. I can't see how observation of nature, no matter how careful, can result in one reaching that position, hence my conclusion that it isn't a conclusion.

There are some differences between science and natural law. First, science doesn't assume that nature has anything to say about morality. Second, though natural law may draw upon scientific findings by nature (pun intended) it can't depend upon a technical understanding of scientific discoveries - natural law has to be able to say "it's obvious that ..." for it to have any validity. To take up the Nuremburg example already cited, if the basis of saying the Nazi's should have known that what they were doing was wrong depended upon understanding technical scientific details then there's no basis for saying they "should have known", natural law has to be based on observations anyone can make without the benefit of a scientific education.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose in bald terms (apologies to the follically challenged), natural law sees nature in a teleological sense, whereas science does not. However, some natural law theorists seem to argue that there are teleological elements in science, (maybe Ed Feser). None the less, as others have stated, clearly natural law concerns the philosophy of nature.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geothean science looks at form as an embodiment/materialisation of Meaning (capital M),Relationship and Archetype, and from that pov, natural law is very clear - it's just that it requires the whole "mind" (including the felt mind) to be engaged in its exploration rather than just the rational mind. The problem is with an unnaturally excessive reliance on rationalisation.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think the basic difference is that science explicit rules out ethic and similar considerations while it's doing it. So the proponent of natural law would say that taking the world as observed by science and then drawing moral conclusions from it would be like deliberately using black and white film, and then trying to draw conclusions about the colour.

That said, some natural law philosophers, generally the more conservative ones, seem to adopt a more a priori approach than others. A conservative Catholic says, well sexual activity is obviously for reproduction; which to my mind is perhaps a bit like saying forelimb motion is obviously there for locomotion.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

I think the basic difference is that science explicit rules out ethic and similar considerations while it's doing it.

But you could build an ethical framework that relied on scientific results for its justification, even if science rules out ethical considerations. For instance, if you took science as it existed 100 years ago, you would see no ethical reason for restricting the sale of Uranium. Today, scientific advances mean that restricting the sale of uranium seems very natural.
quote:

So the proponent of natural law would say that taking the world as observed by science and then drawing moral conclusions from it would be like deliberately using black and white film, and then trying to draw conclusions about the colour.

That might well be true, but if so I'd like to understand exactly how it is like deliberately using black and white film... What is it that the scientific world ignores about nature? Are the ethics actually directly observed in nature? How are they observed? What are the rules governing if these observations are done right? (I thought they were claimed to be deduced from nature rather than being directly observed)
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always tend to wonder where "natural law" fits in with the fact that St Paul says creation is also fallen in Romans.

If creation is also "fallen", how can we discern ethics from it?

Kind of agrees with Dawkins.

[ 31. July 2014, 11:34: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong: Please explain in what sense and how creation is 'fallen'. I know Paul said it. Is he infallible?
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Vatican document linked to in the link:

quote:
The language traditionally used in explaining the term “natural law” should be improved so that the values of the Gospel can be communicated to people today in a more intelligible manner. In particular, the vast majority of responses and an even greater part of the observations request that more emphasis be placed on the role of the Word of God as a privileged instrument in the conception of married life and the family, and recommend greater reference to the Bible, its language and narratives. In this regard, respondents propose bringing the issue to public discussion and developing the idea of biblical inspiration and the “order in creation,” which could permit a re-reading of the concept of the natural law in a more meaningful manner in today’s world (cf. the idea of the law written in the human heart in Rm 1:19-21; 2:14-15). Moreover, this proposal insists on using language which is accessible to all, such as the language of symbols utilized during the liturgy. The recommendation was also made to engage young people directly in these matters.
I think the concern is with what Mrs Thatcher would have called a failure of presentation rather than a failure of policy. That is to say it is less to do with saying that natural law doesn't work or should be rejected and more to do with putting it into terms that people find intelligible.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Evensong: Please explain in what sense and how creation is 'fallen'. I know Paul said it. Is he infallible?

The people who invoke natural law to support their ethics think he is. They're the ones with the contradiction, not Evensong.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
The article defines Natural Law as (universal moral law) that is a) somehow built into the universe
b) accessible by reason.
So that it gives a standard of conduct that those who've never heard the Gospel in any form can reasonably be expected to live up to.

So for example, at risk of incurring the Wrath of Godwin, the Nuremburg trials decided that certain war crimes were such that the perpetrators
should have known that they were morally wrong, despite living in a culture which approved them. [...]

The obsessive secrecy of those who committed the Holocaust indicates that they knew it was a criminal conspiracy to commit murder. German courts have repeatably held that it was illegal under domestic German law.

All ethics and laws are, ultimately, a construct. The Vatican's in a mess because it refuses to admit this, and claims that its previous construct has some objective weight. It'll fail eventually. No one can keep obsolete values on life support indefinitely.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I don't think Natural Law is a philosophical conclusion. It is a philosophical position (possibly theological) that starts with an assumption that moral rights and wrongs can be determined from observation of nature. I can't see how observation of nature, no matter how careful, can result in one reaching that position, hence my conclusion that it isn't a conclusion.

That is not quite right. It would be more accurate to say that there are philosophical positions, famously but not exclusively Aristotelianism, which believe that all things have so called "final causes". That is to say, all things have an aim or purpose that in part determines what they are. (There are three other such fundamental classes of causes in Aristotelianism: material, formal, and efficient.) A final cause of an acorn is to grow into an oak tree. A final cause of a chair is to be sat upon. A final cause of the sun is to provide light and gravity. Etc. From this one can draw a wide range of conclusions, for example also about the meaning of "natural physical law" investigated by modern science. One of the conclusions one can draw is then about intelligent and volitional agents. If such an agent acts in accordance with its final causes, then this is called (naturally) moral, if not, then this is called (naturally) immoral. (And if it doesn't seem to matter either way it is naturally neutral.)

For example, if a dog overeats, we see that this is "unhealthy" because it is diminishes its everyday abilities and life span. If the dog has developed these bad eating habits by itself, say due to some hormonal imbalance, we consider it to be "sick" (not operating physiologically as it should be). If it has acquired these habits due to its owner, then we say that the owner is mistreating the dog. Even if the owner has good intentions, is overfeeding the dog out of love for the dog, we say that the owner is responsible for the bad state the dog is in and has a duty to stop overfeeding the dog and return it to a healthy diet. Now, exactly the same comments apply to a human overeating, except that the human is his own owner, because he is intelligent and volitional. If the overeating is due to some bodily malfunction, then this is a type of sickness. But if it is because they are indulging themselves, then there is a duty to stop this and return to a reasonable diet. This duty, this "ought", is what we call "moral". In this particular case, we have derived that gluttony is immoral. But it should be obvious that this is really nothing special, it is an entirely "natural" conclusion. The only thing special here is that human can be responsible, because they can understand what they are doing and can make choices about it.

quote:
There are some differences between science and natural law. First, science doesn't assume that nature has anything to say about morality.

This is not quite accurate either. Both in a historical and philosophical sense, modern science is based on a more or less conscious decision to study only what Aristotelianism would call material and efficient causes. That is to say, to study only the properties of matter and its interactions. It is unsurprising that many natural scientists then eventually came to the conclusion that there is in fact nothing but material and efficient causes, only matter and its interactions. But that is in fact a philosophical statement, not one that is itself part of natural science. To put it simply, one cannot design an experiment that would empirically demonstrate that there is nothing but matter and its interactions. This is rather a metaphysical proposition, perhaps motivated by the success of describing many experiments in this mode.

quote:
Second, though natural law may draw upon scientific findings by nature (pun intended) it can't depend upon a technical understanding of scientific discoveries - natural law has to be able to say "it's obvious that ..." for it to have any validity. To take up the Nuremburg example already cited, if the basis of saying the Nazi's should have known that what they were doing was wrong depended upon understanding technical scientific details then there's no basis for saying they "should have known", natural law has to be based on observations anyone can make without the benefit of a scientific education.

This is just plain false. The "natural" in question here is not a synonym for "common sense". There is no a priori reason that a natural moral law analysis should be any less difficult and sophisticated than a physical law analysis. It is entirely possible that there is natural moral law reasoning that only a genius of Einstein's level could ever come up with, and that is only truly appreciated and understand by perhaps a few thousand experts after.

It is of course true that some reasoning about natural moral law is so "common sense" that near everybody can be expected to do it. The same is true for physical law though: you don't need to understand General Relativity to predict what happens when you throw something out of the window. It will fall down. The argumentation against the Nazi was hence that their crimes were readily apparent, not that all crimes are readily apparent.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

That is not quite right. It would be more accurate to say that there are philosophical positions, famously but not exclusively Aristotelianism, which believe that all things have so called "final causes". That is to say, all things have an aim or purpose that in part determines what they are. (There are three other such fundamental classes of causes in Aristotelianism: material, formal, and efficient.) ... From this one can draw a wide range of conclusions
OK, you're right. Natural Law is a conclusion from some philosophical positions. So, probably the original statement that natural law is a philosophical rather than scientific (see below for how I would define "scientific") conclusion is correct.

quote:
quote:
There are some differences between science and natural law. First, science doesn't assume that nature has anything to say about morality.

This is not quite accurate either. Both in a historical and philosophical sense, modern science is based on a more or less conscious decision to study only what Aristotelianism would call material and efficient causes. That is to say, to study only the properties of matter and its interactions.
That is what I would define as "science", consciously self limited to the study of matter and it's interactions. Therefore, science is making no assumptions regarding other areas of intellectual study - including ethics and morality.

quote:
It is unsurprising that many natural scientists then eventually came to the conclusion that there is in fact nothing but material and efficient causes, only matter and its interactions. But that is in fact a philosophical statement, not one that is itself part of natural science.
Actually I find it surprising that anyone would come to the conclusion that having decided to limit science to the study of matter and interactions that therefore that is all there is to study. It may be that I find the proposition preposterous that I find it surprising any intelligent person could believe it. But, some people do seem to hold that (as you rightly point out) philosophical position - despite the contradiction that they believe something that isn't within the remit of natural science (it's not about matter and interactions) which states that only natural sciences can tell us anything that is genuinely true.

quote:
The "natural" in question here is not a synonym for "common sense". There is no a priori reason that a natural moral law analysis should be any less difficult and sophisticated than a physical law analysis. It is entirely possible that there is natural moral law reasoning that only a genius of Einstein's level could ever come up with, and that is only truly appreciated and understand by perhaps a few thousand experts after.
In which case you seem to be agreeing that natural law is incomprehensible, except to those very few "Einstein level" geniuses. Which makes natural law arguments regarding ethics and morality into the realm of a purely academic exercise. If you wish to convince people of a particular moral position then you need to do that in a way that they can understand, if natural law arguments can only be understood by a very small number of people then in reality you are not arguing from natural law, but for an intellectual elite to have an authority to dictate morality. Which seems to me to be fundamentally no different from appeals to Church Fathers, Tradition or a spiritual leader.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
In which case you seem to be agreeing that natural law is incomprehensible, except to those very few "Einstein level" geniuses. Which makes natural law arguments regarding ethics and morality into the realm of a purely academic exercise.
Ingo can speak for himself, as we all know. My understanding is that everybody participates in the natural law to some extent as a rational entity but, in practice, not everyone is equally rational or moral. So some questions of the natural law are accessible to any reasonably decent person who bothers to give the matter some thought and some issues require a combination of a saint and a superlative moral philosopher to do them justice. To that extent I don't think that natural law ethics are that different from any other account of moral (or, indeed, non-moral) reasoning.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong
quote:

I always tend to wonder where "natural law" fits in with the fact that St Paul says creation is also fallen in Romans.

Evensong, I think St Paul would make a distinction between knowing what is good and right and having the desire and inclination to do it. Indeed, as you know, he said of himself:
“I do not do the good I want to, but the evil I do not want to do- this I keep on doing.” (Romans 7:19).

Paul sets out his fundamental position in Romans 1: 19+

“What may be known about God is plain to them [the Gentiles], because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse..... but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened......They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator... They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity.... Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.”

In other words, for Paul, God’s natural law has been made known to the whole of humanity, whose non-Jewish members cannot, therefore, claim invincible ignorance of it and avoid God’s displeasure when they break it.

My only comment on the concept of “natural law” is that it seems better founded than the current obsession with “natural rights”, which are asserted (based on what?), rather than demonstrated.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
To that extent I don't think that natural law ethics are that different from any other account of moral (or, indeed, non-moral) reasoning.

Including "appeals to Church Fathers, Tradition or a spiritual leader", in other words I agree.

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
nice post, Kwesi

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there is quite the problem here that the RNS thinks there is. It is creating an artificial dilemma by applying a rather narrow sort of reason to something that if it is true, demonstrates its existence by evidence rather than reason.

As I understand it, natural law is the idea that there are ethics that are built into humanity as part of human nature. If you are a theist, it is difficult to argue against that. If you are a Christian, it is impossible. Even if you are not a theist, it's a respectable view. Steven Pinker explains it quite well. However, for a non-theist, it tends to be a matter of pragmatic belief, deduced from observation rather than reason. A popular reason why people reject it is because they fear where it might lead them.

St Paul, as Kwesi has impeccably just explained, clearly believed this, but then St Paul was a theist. Gamaliel (the original one, not the Shipmate) also did. But he was a theist too.

Nevertheless, as humans, we are tainted by sin. We are prone both to getting 'what's right' wrong, and not doing it anyway. So although the outlines of natural law can be deduced - there is no defence to sending 6,000,000 Jews to death camps - when trying to apply it to detailed situations one is immediately hit by its being too fuzzy for purpose.

As Christians, I don't see how anyone can have a problem saying:-
- God created the universe to function his way.
- God created humankind in his own image.
- However badly tarnished or corrupted it may have become, built into humankind is a fundamental moral understanding.
- It is therefore possible for people to work out from their surroundings and their culture, some moral compass that they should follow.
- There is therefore no excuse that lets anyone say 'I did not know any better', or 'I am let off all responsibility for taking my standards from the lowest common denominator of my neighbour'.
- However, because of the Fall, natural law and reason will not get anyone anything like far enough. We see through a glass darkly. We need revelation, i.e. scripture and if you are RC, encyclicals, the Catechism of the Catholic Church etc to have any prospect of understanding fully what that natural law is which God has embedded in our species.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

His writings have certainly been held to be very important in the Christian church from the time of the settling of the canon of Scripture. Fallen/broken things in Creation would include things like sickness and death, and--if we take the story in Genesis in which all green plants were given to humans and animals for food--apparently predation on things other than plants--and in the New Creation, no more death, no more sickness, and even the lion shall lie down with the lamb.

(I occasionally fret that I will miss steak, but I am sure God will work that out one way or another.)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But you could build an ethical framework that relied on scientific results for its justification, even if science rules out ethical considerations. For instance, if you took science as it existed 100 years ago, you would see no ethical reason for restricting the sale of Uranium. Today, scientific advances mean that restricting the sale of uranium seems very natural.

I don't think that's an example of using scientific results to build an ethical framework. You have an ethical framework that says killing large numbers of people is wrong. Science says that uranium can be used to kill large numbers of people. But it doesn't alter the framework.

On the other hand, results from say primatology could be used to cast light on human child-rearing behaviour or gender roles. The evidence is that our recent evolutionary ancestors shared childcare between the genders far more than chimpanzees do. That suggests that it's more natural for humans to share childcare than it is for them to reserve it solely to the mother. (I'm thinking of the work of the feminist primatologist Sarah Hrdy here.)

The counterargument would be to point out that whatever is the case with our evolutionary ancestors, human culture makes humans too plastic to deduce any particular ethics from. What that means for a natural law theorist is that any ethical interpretation of human behaviour or human biology is closer to trying to read off the meaning from a written text than it is to trying to interpret a set of data readings.
But certain kinds of scientific enterprise - e.g. behaviourism - want to rule that kind of interpretation out. (Which doesn't mean that they don't do it; it's just that they don't admit to what they're doing and therefore do it badly.)

I think that stuff about interpretation might make it clearer what I meant by saying that the black-and-white of some scientific methods leaves things out. It leaves out any aspect of behaviour that requires evaluation or interpretation to assess, or rather it interprets it badly.

[ 31. July 2014, 22:34: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
As I understand it, natural law is the idea that there are ethics that are built into humanity as part of human nature. If you are a theist, it is difficult to argue against that. If you are a Christian, it is impossible.

One could argue against that.
There was an important debate in the late middle ages between a largely Dominican tradition (e.g. Aquinas) and a largely Franciscan tradition (e.g. Occam) about whether or not God had built ethics into humanity. The Dominicans said yes. The Franciscans said no, that would impair God's freedom to give us commands as God pleases.
For example, if one considers infanticide, the Dominican position would be that given human nature infanticide must be wrong. On the other hand, the Franciscans would say that God can create or abolish the duty to care for children as God pleases. (I don't know whether Aquinas ever explicitly addresses the question of God commanding Abraham to kill Isaac: that's more difficult to account for on the Dominican tradition.)

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

But surely there must be a way to still detect "what God pleases" as a moral urge - otherwise free will would be useless because we would have no guidance as to how to use it.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that is so, the Franciscan position isn't optional. It's wrong. It's also inconsistent. If that were the case, Abraham would have experienced no jarring sensation about God's command. It would be either impossible or irrational for him to think, 'how could God be asking this?'

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In which case you seem to be agreeing that natural law is incomprehensible, except to those very few "Einstein level" geniuses.

I have no idea why you would conclude that from what I actually said. My point was that the "natural" in "natural moral law" does not mean what everybody "naturally" thinks (common sense). Rather it refers to the nature that things have (their essences). Just as there is a "common sense" physics, there is of course also "common sense" natural moral law. Yet just as with physics this need not be all of natural moral law, there can be sophisticated parts beyond the grasp of most people. And indeed just as with physics the common sense about natural moral law can on occasion be mistaken.

quote:
If you wish to convince people of a particular moral position then you need to do that in a way that they can understand, if natural law arguments can only be understood by a very small number of people then in reality you are not arguing from natural law, but for an intellectual elite to have an authority to dictate morality.

You misunderstood what I was saying. But anyhow, in my opinion morality de facto always gets dictated by elites shaping the culture, with most people receiving their morality implicitly from their surrounding culture with very little reflection indeed.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Evensong
quote:

Evensong, I think St Paul would make a distinction between knowing what is good and right and having the desire and inclination to do it. Indeed, as you know, he said of himself:
“I do not do the good I want to, but the evil I do not want to do- this I keep on doing.” (Romans 7:19).

Paul sets out his fundamental position in Romans 1: 19+

“What may be known about God is plain to them [the Gentiles], because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse..... but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened......They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator... They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity.... Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.”

In other words, for Paul, God’s natural law has been made known to the whole of humanity, whose non-Jewish members cannot, therefore, claim invincible ignorance of it and avoid God’s displeasure when they break it.

I have probably misunderstood what "natural law" means but I always took it to mean we can discover things of God by observing the world around us in nature. But I didn't take into account humans in this picture I was thinking more things like Tsunami's and natural disasters that David Bentley Hart speaks about theologically.

Like Paul says in Romans 8:

Romans 8:19-23 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labour pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

While its generally known in Christians circles that human nature is "fallen" its much less generally known that Paul things our natural surroundings are also fallen.

So as mousetheif says, I wonder how proponents of natural law fit this in in terms of determining God's will from the observation of nature (not us).

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding natural law....

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm sorry (and slightly disappointed); I thought you were talking about These People

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
As I understand it, natural law is the idea that there are ethics that are built into humanity as part of human nature. If you are a theist, it is difficult to argue against that. If you are a Christian, it is impossible.

One could argue against that.
There was an important debate in the late middle ages between a largely Dominican tradition (e.g. Aquinas) and a largely Franciscan tradition (e.g. Occam) about whether or not God had built ethics into humanity. The Dominicans said yes. The Franciscans said no, that would impair God's freedom to give us commands as God pleases.
For example, if one considers infanticide, the Dominican position would be that given human nature infanticide must be wrong. On the other hand, the Franciscans would say that God can create or abolish the duty to care for children as God pleases. (I don't know whether Aquinas ever explicitly addresses the question of God commanding Abraham to kill Isaac: that's more difficult to account for on the Dominican tradition.)

I think that Ockham's position is more subtle than that. He appears to have held that God had, in fact, inculcated into us a natural law which said that good was to be done and evil to be avoided but He could, equally, have inculcated a natural law which held that evil was to be done and good was to be avoided. The Dominicans seem to have held that God was effectively bound by His own goodness to inculcate right reason into humanity. The Franciscans seem to have held that God had some choice in the matter.

For example, when Ockham discusses the practice of consecrating children to the episcopate, he claims that this is not a licit action because it is a breach of natural equity, which is natural law and that, therefore, the plenitude of power possessed by the Pope does not confer upon him such a right. Ockham's position is sometimes characterised as that God arbitrarily commanded humans not to confer benefices on children but he could, equally, have commanded them to do so. But actually the element of arbitrary command in Ockham's thought appears to be a level higher, as it were. It's not that Ockham denies natural law; it's that he claims the content of natural law was a matter of God's free choice.

The Franciscan insistence on natural rights would have been pretty incoherent had they not subscribed to a natural law ethic.

Incidentally, Ockham mentions the belief that Jesus, as Son of God, had absolute power and was not bound by the constraints of morality and that he could have licitly killed innocent people following the precedent of God's command to kill Isaac but neither affirms or denies this position, contenting himself with arguing that even if this was the case it does not follow that the Pope, as Christ's Vicar had the same sort of authority. In A Dialogue Between A Master And Student Ockham explicitly states that God had the authority to dispense Abraham from the natural law but only a divine command of that nature could do so and that Abraham could not licitly deduce from that particular command a dispensation from the natural law in general. Ockham's position in that regard is no different from Augustine's in The City of God.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Sounds like an argument for God's sovereignty rather than God's ordered revelation through creation.

I believe that was the philosophical shift of Nominalism.

Tended to cater to a sense of God's capriciousness and unreliability that veered away from Scholasticism.

[ 01. August 2014, 11:58: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For example, if one considers infanticide, the Dominican position would be that given human nature infanticide must be wrong. On the other hand, the Franciscans would say that God can create or abolish the duty to care for children as God pleases.

I never realised that. So the idea of natural law is a critical part of worshipping goodness rather than power. Natural law doctrine says that we can at least partially know what is good, and thus know enough not to follow so-called revelation that leads to evil. It gives us a yardstick by which to judge ideas that claim to be from God.

Whereas if you worship power, then morality is whatever power says it is. And yes, Christian thought has not been entirely free from that particular heresy.

If only Abraham had known enough to turn around to that voice that told him to sacrifice Isaac, and say "Get thee behind me Satan, the Lord desires not the blood of the innocent" or words to that effect.

But of course, that would be anachronism, being a Christian before Christ.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by Evensong:

quote:
Sounds like an argument for God's sovereignty rather than God's ordered revelation through creation.

I believe that was the philosophical shift of Nominalism.

Tended to cater to a sense of God's capriciousness and unreliability that veered away from Scholasticism.

Most Christian theologies have something to say about both God's ordered revelation through creation and his sovereignty. Ockham had his faults but he spent most of his career objecting vociferously to theologies which stressed God's arbitrary power rather than emphasising it.

quote:
If only Abraham had known enough to turn around to that voice that told him to sacrifice Isaac, and say "Get thee behind me Satan, the Lord desires not the blood of the innocent" or words to that effect.

But of course, that would be anachronism, being a Christian before Christ.

It would also be an anachronism thinking that medieval scholastics held the same view. This is the greatest medieval Dominican on the subject, St. Thomas Aquinas on whether the natural law can be changed. Aquinas thought not but this is an objection he anticipated:

quote:
Further, the slaying of the innocent, adultery, and theft are against the natural law. But we find these things changed by God: as when God commanded Abraham to slay his innocent son (Genesis 22:2); and when he ordered the Jews to borrow and purloin the vessels of the Egyptians (Exodus 12:35); and when He commanded Osee to take to himself "a wife of fornications" (Hosea 1:2). Therefore the natural law can be changed.
And this is his response to the objection:

quote:
All men alike, both guilty and innocent, die the death of nature: which death of nature is inflicted by the power of God on account of original sin, according to 1 Samuel 2:6: "The Lord killeth and maketh alive." Consequently, by the command of God, death can be inflicted on any man, guilty or innocent, without any injustice whatever. In like manner adultery is intercourse with another's wife; who is allotted to him by the law emanating from God. Consequently intercourse with any woman, by the command of God, is neither adultery nor fornication. The same applies to theft, which is the taking of another's property. For whatever is taken by the command of God, to Whom all things belong, is not taken against the will of its owner, whereas it is in this that theft consists. Nor is it only in human things, that whatever is commanded by God is right; but also in natural things, whatever is done by God, is, in some way, natural, as stated in the I, 105, 6, ad 1.
One ought to stress that pretty much everyone thought that such exceptions were vanishingly rare and a medieval murderer, adulterer or thief claiming a direct command from the almighty was apt to find heresy added to the charge sheet rather than having all charges dismissed without a stain on his character. It's quite possible to argue that passages in scripture where God asks someone or other to violate the canons of morality as Christians understand them are figurative and that God never commands people to violate the natural law. I suspect that it would be a popular view hereabouts. But it's not what medieval Dominicans and Franciscans were arguing about.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong
quote:
While its generally known in Christians circles that human nature is "fallen" its much less generally known that Paul things our natural surroundings are also fallen.

So as mousetheif says, I wonder how proponents of natural law fit this in in terms of determining God's will from the observation of nature (not us).

It’s difficult, isn’t it, to know what Paul understood by what became labelled “the fall”, given that it doesn’t seem to figure at all in the OT literature after the early chapters of Genesis and is entirely absent from the gospels. If Paul did believe in “the fall” then, I suppose, the groaning and travailing of creation was a function of the cosmic consequences of Adam’s sin. The question that arises for this post is to what extent the corruption of "the fall” impaired the capacity of humans to exercise “right reason” to discover “natural law” and their capacity to obey it. It seems at times that in Romans 1 the gentiles are so depraved that its difficult to see how they could possibly discern the good let alone make a free decision to reject it and, therefore, be morally culpable for their actions. In that sense Evensong’s reference to the state of creation brings into question the credibility of natural law arguments. (Incidentally, it’s not clear to me whether Pauls is arguing that the corruption of the gentiles is a result of original sin or whether each gentile repeats the process of passing from knowledge to (total?)corruption).

I, personally, don’t think that Romans 1 necessarily presupposes original sin, rather that humans are existentially torn between a desire to do good but show an inclination to evil, which can have negative consequences. This is compatible with the groaning and travailing of creation: the birthpangs of a new and better creation in which humanity is inclined to obey the ways of God, or, if you will have it, the “natural law’. I suppose in terms of this discussion the problem lies less with the disutility of “natural law” than that of “original sin”.

Russ

quote:
Re Abraham and Isaac: I don’t think the story should be read literally. To my mind it is an incident, even parable, designed to indicate that human sacrifice is not part of the the Jewish (or whatever) religious script. IMO we are to read it that Abraham thinks that his God demands human sacrifice, but is disabused. If that is so, Russ, then Abraham acts as you suggest he should have done!
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:

quote:
Re Abraham and Isaac: I don’t think the story should be read literally. To my mind it is an incident, even parable, designed to indicate that human sacrifice is not part of the the Jewish (or whatever) religious script. IMO we are to read it that Abraham thinks that his God demands human sacrifice, but is disabused. If that is so, Russ, then Abraham acts as you suggest he should have done!
The point of the Abraham story, as with so much of the story of Israel, is that when the nation is in covenant with God the people have to be holy - i.e.e different and separate. The culture of Israel was to be different to anything in the cultures of the tribes and nations around them.

Be ye different...

In the time of Abraham it was culturally acceptable to offer human - and especially child - sacrifice: see the worship of Molech. When Abraham, a beginner when it came to the personality and purposes of the one true God, was asked to sacrifice his son he would have taken the instruction in exactly the same way as the other heathens around him at that time. It was an accepted part of many religious superstitions. Abraham was gpoing to obey because it was not an unusual request.

The faith part of the lesson lay, not in the allegedly dreadful and horrific demand for a sacrifice, but in the question 'If I sacrifice my son, the son of promise, as I might do under the other heathen religions of my day, how will God fulfil his promise of numerous descendants?'

The staying of Abraham's hand and the provision of the ram not only foreshadows Christ's substitutionary sacrifice but also, as mentioned above, shows Abraham that God is holy - i.e. different to the other gods.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Ockham had his faults but he spent most of his career objecting vociferously to theologies which stressed God's arbitrary power rather than emphasising it.

I defer to your opinion.
However, while I knew Occam objected to the arbitrary power of the Papacy, I hadn't got the impression that he thought there were any such limits upon God.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, the Franciscans would say that God can create or abolish the duty to care for children as God pleases.

[Eek!] I think I prefer St. Francis to the Franciscans in this case... [Eek!]

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
In the time of Abraham it was culturally acceptable to offer human - and especially child - sacrifice: see the worship of Molech. When Abraham, a beginner when it came to the personality and purposes of the one true God, was asked to sacrifice his son he would have taken the instruction in exactly the same way as the other heathens around him at that time. It was an accepted part of many religious superstitions. Abraham was going to obey because it was not an unusual request.

I think that's true. But that's why it's an issue on a thread about Natural Law. To say that Abraham knew no better is a reasonable position. But it's a position that denies that there is a Natural Law against human sacrifice which he should have known in spite of the culture he lived in.

Seems to me that if you believe in Natural Law then Abraham is down there with the concentration camp guards, condemned by the same reasoning.

Or else you believe that Natural Law allows "believing that one does it for God" as a valid excuse. This seems to be Aquinas' position as quoted above by Gildas. Which makes the Taliban the most moral people on earth...

You see my problem...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Seems to me that if you believe in Natural Law then Abraham is down there with the concentration camp guards, condemned by the same reasoning.

Or else you believe that Natural Law allows "believing that one does it for God" as a valid excuse. This seems to be Aquinas' position as quoted above by Gildas. Which makes the Taliban the most moral people on earth...

You see my problem...

Sure. Your problem is that you have an implicit relativist and utilitarian position concerning religion. Hence you fear the comparison with the Taliban, as their false religions will be as good as yours unless you can demonstrate the superiority of yours by some "objective" measure. Your logic is that since in your mind you behave more morally than the Taliban, your religion is true. That of course is putting the cart before the horse. It should be rather that because your religion is true, you behave more morally than the Taliban (hopefully). And your religion is true not because of how nice you are, but because it was revealed by God Himself. In the end all this does boil down to one word (that of Jesus Christ) standing against that of another (that of Abū al-Qāsim Muḥammad ibn ʿAbd Allāh ibn ʿAbd al-Muṭṭalib ibn Hāshim, purportedly).

As for Abraham, the hangups that the binding of Isaac causes are quite hilarious. But the natural moral law is just like the physical law, it concerns the regular workings of nature as willed by the Creator. God is not bound by these rules, He binds by them. God Himself however can walk on water, defying gravity and surface tension, whenever He pleases. God can ask you to walk on water as well, and you will defy gravity and surface tension, as long as you walk in His will. Otherwise you sink, and if you can't swim, drown. The real question has never been whether you can kill your children or commit genocide or indeed blast the entire universe into shreds, if God asks you to do that. The real question has always been how you can know that it is God who orders you to do these things, and not the world, the flesh or the devil.

In Abraham's case, he was asked to sacrifice a son he fathered when he was a hundred years old with a woman who was ninety years old, and explicitly post-menopausal. How did Abraham know that it was God talking to Him, not the world, the flesh or the devil? Because Isaac was a pure miracle, promised and given by God - and the world, the flesh and the devil cannot work miracles. For that matter, God did not in the end ask for Isaac to be sacrificed, He just tested Abraham's willingness. And what God did there was of course to give a spiritual lesson to us (for God writes history like a human author writes a story). Abraham was asked to kill the very promise of God to him, it was a test whether Abraham would still trust in God even if God ordered him to destroy his hope.

Anyway, natural moral law is not compromised by God's extraordinary moral commands, just as physics is not compromised by miracles. And nobody should make such extraordinary moral commands the basis of their everyday morality. That would be as silly as walking onto the water of a swimming pool without being able to swim. Just because Jesus can walk on water, and St Peter once did for a little while, does not mean that you can do this. You will sink and drown. And if you kill your children or commit genocide, you are heading towards hell. And if voices in your church or in your head tell you that you should do this, then see if they can work miracles. It's a simple test...

[ 03. August 2014, 12:50: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am surprised that natural law should be thought incomprehensible when in some ways it is very influential in views which are prevalent today.

I am reminded of Bentham's attack on Locke's writings about natural rights. Bentham said that "There are no rights without law — no rights contrary to the law — no rights anterior to the law." I am in agreement with Bentham but I think that the majority opinion by far in the west is that our human rights are not only those which the laws of our countries grant us, but are anterior to the law and derive from the nature of what it is to be human.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
The real question has always been how you can know that it is God who orders you to do these things, and not the world, the flesh or the devil.

...How did Abraham know that it was God talking to Him, not the world, the flesh or the devil? Because Isaac was a pure miracle, promised and given by God - and the world, the flesh and the devil cannot work miracles.

...And if voices in your church or in your head tell you that you should do this, then see if they can work miracles. It's a simple test...

Yes and no.

Yes that's a big question. Seems to me that Aquinas and the medievals had a God-centred philosophy that counted its ideas about God as knowledge, and thus pushed the "how do we know?" question to the periphery. "We're told that God did this; God does no wrong, therefore this was not wrong."

And no that's not quite my question, because I'm not coming at this as someone with voices in my head wanting to know if I should do what they say.

I'm coming at this as someone seeking to be a just man, seeking to understand right and wrong well enough to be able to say to my children that these acts are evil, to be shunned, and these acts are heroic, to be emulated, and these acts are well-intentioned-but-mistaken, etc.

I don't know what you'd call the philosophy that such-an-such an act is morally right when we do it, 'cos we're the good guys, but evil if anybody else does it to us. But that's the human condition; that's our "fallen" nature talking. That's what we have to avoid if we want to be moral people.

So I don't go along with the idea that religiously-motivated murder is OK so long as its our religion telling us who's for the sacrificial knife but horrendously evil when it's their religion telling them.

Natural Law theory puts morality at a level where it's not about "my religion is better than yours". If that's your bottom line then you don't believe in Natural Law.

Isaac was a person, not a treasured possession. And that's why it would have been wrong for Abraham to kill him. And that's why it was wrong for Abraham to intend to kill him.

Did Abraham know that ? Natural Law implies that he did. That moral "knowledge" is more certain than religious "knowledge", because those who have completely the wrong ideas on religion can still be held to account for the morality of their actions.

Some days it seems pretty implausible - you may make a moral relativist of me yet.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For that matter, God did not in the end ask for Isaac to be sacrificed, He just tested Abraham's willingness. And what God did there was of course to give a spiritual lesson to us (for God writes history like a human author writes a story). Abraham was asked to kill the very promise of God to him, it was a test whether Abraham would still trust in God even if God ordered him to destroy his hope.

What lesson are we to draw from Abraham's test, do you think?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
So I don't go along with the idea that religiously-motivated murder is OK so long as its our religion telling us who's for the sacrificial knife but horrendously evil when it's their religion telling them.

That of course is a complete misrepresentation of what I had just said, which is no less annoying for being so predictable...

quote:
Natural Law theory puts morality at a level where it's not about "my religion is better than yours". If that's your bottom line then you don't believe in Natural Law.

And you continue to simply ignore the argument that I have actually made. I have a PhD in theoretical physics, I am a working scientist. I also believe in miracles. If you believe that the latter compromises the former, then in my opinion you simply have not understood what physical law really is. The same is true here, for the case of natural moral law.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Abraham was asked to kill the very promise of God to him, it was a test whether Abraham would still trust in God even if God ordered him to destroy his hope.

What lesson are we to draw from Abraham's test, do you think?
I fail to see how I am speaking in riddles here... The spiritual lesson that we should draw is that we should continue to trust God even if he asks us to give up what we reasonably consider to be the very grace and hope and promise that He has granted to us previously.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

ISTM that the story of Abraham and Isaac does not help the case for natural law because the outcome is not a function of Abraham exercising “right reason”, but results from a direct command of God: revelation. Futhermore, it is not clear whether the command arises from the particular application of a general principle e.g. that human sacrifice is wrong in general or for Abraham’s ethnic group in particular, which is what one would expect in relation to the application of natural law. It leaves open the possibility that on another occasion Abraham might be justified in going ahead.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I have a PhD in theoretical physics, I am a working scientist. I also believe in miracles. If you believe that the latter compromises the former, then in my opinion you simply have not understood what physical law really is. The same is true here, for the case of natural moral law.

I think your position is not exactly that of Aquinas. (Although Aquinas was not infallible; still less are Roman Catholics obliged to believe he is.)
Aquinas is arguing that God is not abridging the natural law. The natural law says that all human beings are deserving of the death penalty at the hands of an appropriate authority. The appropriate authority is God. Under ordinary circumstances, humans do not have the authority to exercise the death penalty on God's behalf. However, on this particular occasion, God explicitly delegated his authority to Abraham.

I think Aquinas believes that the natural moral law cannot be suspended. That is because the moral law is a matter not of contingent fact, but is necessarily true given the natures of the entities in the world. Therefore, God can no more alter it than he can alter any necessary relation. (God can bring it about that instead of you having two apples and two apples you have two apples and three apples; but God cannot make it that you have five apples while still only having two and two.)

The natural good of a frog is eating flies and making tadpoles. God could turn the frog into a prince, in which case those would no longer be the natural goods of the former frog. But that would be because the frog has ceased to be a frog, not because God has altered the natural law for it.

The position that God could abrogate the natural law is a later scholastic and post-scholastic development. This is in part because Aquinas' position has the consequence that there is no such thing as a natural good for rational beings, and therefore God must be in some manner obliged to supply rational beings with their supernatural good; which was thought to be a restriction on God's freedom.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
I don't know what you'd call the philosophy that such-an-such an act is morally right when we do it, 'cos we're the good guys, but evil if anybody else does it to us. But that's the human condition; that's our "fallen" nature talking. That's what we have to avoid if we want to be moral people.

Isaac was a person, not a treasured possession. And that's why it would have been wrong for Abraham to kill him. And that's why it was wrong for Abraham to intend to kill him.

Did Abraham know that ? Natural Law implies that he did. That moral "knowledge" is more certain than religious "knowledge", because those who have completely the wrong ideas on religion can still be held to account for the morality of their actions.

I'm not sure that it's meaningful to claim that Abraham had a 'religion'. Abraham had a terrifying unmediated relationship with the divine. That's not quite the same thing. For most religions revelation is mediated through sacred texts and authorised interpreters of those sacred texts. Abraham has none of that. He has a promise that through his son he, and all nations, will be blessed, a strong conviction as to the value of human life (remember the bit where he haggles with God in an attempt to save the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah) and the implacable command to kill Isaac. Effectively, he is being asked to put everything he cares about - natural affection, posterity, his deeply held moral principles - to one side in favour of his obedience to the divine. Now there are all sorts of interesting conclusions that you can draw from that: you can agree with Ingo that even if it seems that obedience to God flies in the face of all your cherished aspirations you should hang on in there; you can read it as an anticipation of God the Father's own willingness to sacrifice His Son; you can read it as a 'just so story' explaining why Israelites don't practice human sacrifice or even as a reassurance that there are decent limits to what God demands of His children. And of course you can read it as a parable as to how faith might not be quite the virtue that people say it is. There is a reason why Doctors of the Church as diverse as Soren Kierkegaard, Wilfred Owen and Bob Dylan have been drawn to the story.

What you can't really do is to read it as a live precedent because your religious life is really not going to be like Abraham's except by analogy. Unless you have the same sort of unmediated access to the divine, the divine really isn't going to make that sort of demand of you. As a Christian or Jew (I don't know enough about Islam to discuss their understanding of Abraham, but I'm guessing much the same applies) you are going to bump up against the fairly unequivocal prohibitions against infanticide and human sacrifice. And when religions commit horrifying and barbaric acts against innocents they don't to the best of my knowledge, invoke the story of Abraham and Isaac as a precedent.

It is, unfortunately, the case that some people will do things for fifty quid in the name of religion that they would stigmatise as infamous if they were asked to do so for an Empire but, by and large, the same sort of people, if not exactly the same people, will equally invoke law, justice and rationality. There is a reason that the most formidable critic of natural law in the modern era was a dedicated opponent of National Socialism. People are always setting up double standards in these matters, to paraphrase Chesterton on polygamy, because of the obvious advantages. There is only one disadvantage - it is absolutely intolerable.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
There is a reason that the most formidable critic of natural law in the modern era was a dedicated opponent of National Socialism.

Who? [Confused]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I think your position is not exactly that of Aquinas. (Although Aquinas was not infallible; still less are Roman Catholics obliged to believe he is.) Aquinas is arguing that God is not abridging the natural law. The natural law says that all human beings are deserving of the death penalty at the hands of an appropriate authority. The appropriate authority is God. Under ordinary circumstances, humans do not have the authority to exercise the death penalty on God's behalf. However, on this particular occasion, God explicitly delegated his authority to Abraham.

There's been quite a bit of paraphrasing now of what Aquinas is supposedly saying, and no referencing and quoting of what Aquinas himself actually did say somewhere. In the case of Aquinas, many central texts are available online and hence can be brought to the table here. With all due respect, I do not necessarily believe the summaries that you or Russ provide of Aquinas' thought just on your say so. Please source your claims.

Furthermore, assuming that Aquinas did say something like that somewhere, I would say that this is actually not a natural moral law argument. Natural moral law tells us what it morally licit and what is not for a specific moral agent based on their nature, but it does not really tell us (a community of moral agents) what to do about the morally illicit behaviour of some other moral agents. It is not even clear to me that natural moral law can provide a reasonable estimate of the scale of badness. (Is doing this worse than doing that?) Much less does it tell us how to react to badness of various kinds in a practical sense. Yes, we should reject it all. But whether this means politely looking the other way, or killing the perpetrator and anybody even remotely associated to the act, or something in between, is not something that simply follows obviously from the nature of that moral agent.

At a minimum, we here need to invoke the "common good". And while we can make some statements about the proper "common good" based on human nature, the running of a human community is far too complex to be reduced to such calculus. Or in other words, there is politics and there is law, and neither will be replaced by straightforward argument from human nature. It's been a while since I read Aquinas on this, but IIRC he simply follows the idea that God simply has absolute authority over life and death and can delegate that authority in part to human rulers who then have a right to make decisions like putting someone to death over their crimes or declaring war that will result in many deaths.

However, that sort of things is not really "natural moral law" reasoning and should not be confused with it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016