homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are you a vase? I know I am...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are you a vase? I know I am...
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So - this is a thread for sharing amusing sermon illustrations.

This morning our competent but perhaps slightly pompous lay preacher (in a gown and stole!) engaged us in the somewhat unlikely story of a master potter who opened a shop which just sold vases.

Cutting a long story shorter, on the shelf languished a vase with a blemished lip and a deformity on its back. Years later (well, that's how it felt to me) someone came in, picked it up, and said 'my, what a beautiful jug'.

I thought it might end there, but it went on: 'Over time, he started to see that there was really nothing wrong with him after all; and he started to appreciate the beauty of jugs'.

[Snigger]

Shaking shoulders from me, but I was at the front so I don't know if anyone else was similarly moved.

Alas, it carried on further, as the story-teller (author? preacher?) embarked on a long aside about how in the past jugs had been considered unclean, and smashed on sight. It started to feel like a story which might appeal to a (male) storyteller who really didn't have jugs on his mind at all.

This suspicion started to solidify further as in his closing statements, the preacher invited us to consider whether, in fact, we might be a vase...or a jug...or perhaps even a teapot.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or a chamber-pot? "Fill me, O Lord". [Devil]

[ 30. November 2014, 14:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to point out to a former incumbent that not only had the "I consider it all shit..." thing been done before, but he was about to use it in a room full of farmers. He changed to his native tongue and called it all garbage instead.

Cattyish, trying to be helpful.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Or a chamber-pot? "Fill me, O Lord". [Devil]

That gets a [Overused]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
... the preacher invited us to consider whether, in fact, we might be a vase...or a jug...or perhaps even a teapot.

I have just returned from a performance of Beauty and the Beast, so I'm of course picturing Mrs. Potts.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think in my mind, he was here.

(Had to choose that definition carefully. The 'urban dictionary' has some definitions for the term based on seriously unusual sexual practice which didn't occur to me, let alone the preacher!)

[ 01. December 2014, 11:46: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it says in the Prayer Book:
quote:
... keep from us all vain and wandering thoughts ...
[Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016