homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Online or emailed pew leaflets?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Online or emailed pew leaflets?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We started at a new parish. I am enjoying getting an email of the pew leaflet, usually on Friday morning. Is this common? I am also wondering about reading it on a smart phone during the service, do people do that? Not sure I would.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least you won't have to waste paper when you delete it!

Why would reading it online by smartphone be different from reading it on paper, in the pew?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
We started at a new parish. I am enjoying getting an email of the pew leaflet, usually on Friday morning. Is this common? I am also wondering about reading it on a smart phone during the service, do people do that? Not sure I would.

Is a pew leaflet the same as a bulletin? If so, we are e-mailed a pdf of them. You can also get a printed one when you walk in.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We email ours out in pdf on Thursday afternons and have some hard copies available on Sunday.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get enough bum emails as it is.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite so. Ours are given out on Sundays with the hymnbooks, printed on proper paper. If someone really wants it online they can look at our website.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advantages of emailed bulletin: you get it even if you're not physically at church.

Advantages of paper ones: you are mote likely to read it, reaches both those folk not on email and visitors to the church.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... Advantages of paper ones: you are mote likely to read it, reaches both those folk not on email and visitors to the church.

And you can stick it on your refrigerator door.

[ 25. November 2014, 12:11: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't do one at all! Saving paper and bandwidth! [Razz]

The notices are announced at the front, posters are at the back and that's it! Some key info goes onto the website and member's meeting minutes go via email / paper.

Tubbs

[ 25. November 2014, 14:04: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pew leaflet = bulletin. We use both terms. Is one term more common one place or another?

I was wondering also about the youth angle. Being an old guy, I see young people on their thumb typing gadgets all the time, though not so far in church.

What I like about the emailed version is that even when you miss church, you get some info about it. But as noted, I haven't looked at it during a service, and haven't noticed others doing so, but maybe they are, like so many texting drivers? ?Texting while praying? I wonder.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. We put ours on the website, but emailing them out is something that would be worth us thinking about. I read a statistic somewhere* that in a typical Catholic parish, a slim majority of people in your pews on a weekend weren't there last week. If those people would sign up for an email, we could at least keep them better updated.

--
* Great footnote, right?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been producing the Cathedral's bulletin for the last 11 years and I e-mail it to those who ask for it (on Thursday afternoons), but by far the larger proportion is the printed version, which is handed out by the ushers along with the prayer-books and hymn-books.

A lady in the congregation has a list of house-bound parishioners to whom she sends paper copies by post.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Pew leaflet = bulletin. We use both terms. Is one term more common one place or another?

I was wondering also about the youth angle. Being an old guy, I see young people on their thumb typing gadgets all the time, though not so far in church.

What I like about the emailed version is that even when you miss church, you get some info about it. But as noted, I haven't looked at it during a service, and haven't noticed others doing so, but maybe they are, like so many texting drivers? ?Texting while praying? I wonder.

Our church has a well-established email list, which most members are on (even some really elderly people - who are often the most email aware after all!). We don't send the bulletins out by email, but it is an idea I quite like. We have the infrastructure already - all it requires is for the administrator to kick things off when she has sent the bulletin to the printers.

I'm going to have a think about that - we might well start to experiment along these lines.

If you DO have the bulletin before Sunday (although that seems a little strange, for some reason), I don't see any reason why you can't have it on your phone or tablet, and not use the paper version. Although, you might get weird looks at first from people who think you're surfing the net instead of worshiping.

I am very used to churches which place their bulletins on the website afterwards. It's a good idea - so often people are away from church for a while and they can keep up with what is happening.

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I get enough bum emails as it is.

So if you don't want it, just trash it. It's not costing you anything. If it bothers you that badly, set up a filter on your email program so that such emails go straight to trash.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that very few British churches routinely send out notices to everyone by email.

Perhaps the youthful churches of London and the South East do this, but in other parts of the country the average churchgoer is a lot older, and IME the clergy aren't keen on using technology in a way that will divide churchgoers. In any case, congregations here are smaller so it's easy to contact the relevant people by phone, etc., if there's a change to planned events.

[ 25. November 2014, 18:24: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We send out the announcement part of the bulletin on Thursdays, but we have the full bulletin (order of service and announcements) available in paper form to hand out at services. The monthly newsletter is sent mostly by email; a few are mailed to those without internet, and we have some printed ones available in the narthex for people to take.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our bulletin is posted to a Facebook group every Thursday.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't have pew leaflets.

Notices are given out before the Offertory and hard copy if posted on the noticeboards.

Event advertising is also in the monthly parish magazine, together with readings for services, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a weekly newsheet but it, together with the week's sermon from the parish church, is put onto our website. (Our vicar is a computer geek!)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
A lady in the congregation has a list of house-bound parishioners to whom she sends paper copies by post.

By what? [Paranoid]

(e-mail only here, but it does miss the unconnected. Our website has been "coming soon" for about 5 years now)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You kind of answered your own question, Eutychus - the lady in question is of an age* to be Not Connected, and so, I assume are the people on her list.

* Officially, no-one knows what age she is (not even her husband) as she's paranoiacally secretive about it.

However, someone in the choir found her in an on-line census ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016