homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crown Court Scottish in London

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Crown Court Scottish in London
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MW 2437

www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk

I went there today in the evening, 6.30pm and here were many people there. We all were given bread and wine - this happens not very often in Scottish kirks. He preached well and wore in blue with black and white Preaching Bands just too.

I enjoyed to go there this time. It was really nice we sang and one man did organ well.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am going to Crown Court Church (originally from Scotland, hundreds years ago) this evening at 6.30pm. My local church is not having this evening today.

It is a really lovely church (kirk is what we call in Scotland!) and has nice people and very good man teaching and leading always.

There are really lovely pictures on the right side and flowers always there.

Also we have tea and coffee after the time.

You can see some of the pictures on www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk

And I also went on Saturday just before Christmas when they performed singing in Trafalgar and they did well there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisymay you seem to think that it is uncommon for the people to recieve the elements in communion in a Church of Scotland. Maybe your post didn't mean that but referred to the frequency of communion, but I case any shipmates are in any doubt, the CofS practices an open table: any who present themselves may recieve the elements. If you happen to be there on a communion Sunday, that is, and these vary in frequency from congregation to congregation

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

The Scottish churches do not do the communion every time as do the English churches. But when they give us bread and wine it happens occasionally. It was not last Sunday.

It was a lovely time, good excellent speaking the man in charge - talking about Jesus. And an excellent man doing the music on organ. We sang well!

And really pretty red flowers there. And another little one about Jesus being a baby and those who visited Him!

And really nice tea and coffee and nice sweat to eat. And we all chapped then, nice people.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And today, at 1pm on Thursday always is a smaller time service and I went today, as I was able.
It was great and as normal - the man in charge spoke and let us to pray etc. There was a lovely woman who led us singing about God and we all sung too.
Down stairs we had tea and bits of sweet things and we could also have our own huge food as some people also have. We also had a lovely time to chat as we ate.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It does all sound very good.

[ 08. January 2015, 19:47: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am glad that you feel comfortable and enjoy going there.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It is a lovely one and was made years and years ago, when the man from Scotland was the one in charge after the woman Elizabeth died, having been told to kill his mother. In Scotland they always call our Elizabeth as 1, not 2, because they did not have the ancient one theirs.
Also in Scotland many churches are called kirk.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to open this thread out a little, are there other churches (of any denomination) offering the sort of weekday service which daisymay has described?

Those of us from the C of E and RCC traditions are used, of course, to short mid-week Eucharists, but ISTM that, in some places, there may well be a market for a non-Eucharistic time of worship and fellowship during the week.....

.....thoughts?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In London certainly there are. If you look at City Events (and this only covers the actual square mile) it lists lots of daily opprtunties for prayer - mainly morning and evening but also lunchtime contemplative services (some with and without music).

I wasn't clear whether the weekday service described above at Crown Court was simply a midday prayer service. It would be interesting to know the order of service.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are a number of URCs. The closest to me is Central URC. They give two options a monthly cafe style church and a weekly lunchtime slot.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I reckon I could go today to the Scottish one at 6.30pm as my English church does not have this evening.
It does take a long time on bus to get there !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I went on Sunday at 6.30pm and it was really excellent, good to sing, excellent organ man, and a really good woman speaking clear bits from Psalm and Luke. And the Rev. Philip Majcher was excellent speaking sermon.
And we had nice tea and coffee and nice things to eat with them. And many people were really nice to us as we all spoke to people.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds like you have a had a lovely time daisymay, and it is good to hear that a wide range of services are on offer.

However, nobody seems to have much more to add to the discussion so I think we are done here!

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016