homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
noor
Apprentice
# 16215

- Posted      Profile for noor   Email noor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running Chrome - the chat room feature doesn't seem to work with this OS. Any known work-arounds?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not here. I used to be able to chat at school: no more.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome Noor. You may wish to post on the newcomer's thread in All Saints. Can you work around Chrome?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

noor
Apprentice
# 16215

- Posted      Profile for noor   Email noor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kinda weak working with Chrome right now - I'm beta-testing the Google Cr-48 notebook. I'm not a developer, rather testing as a "typical user". The chat feature works in the Chrome browser in Ubuntu and Windows, but not in Chrome OS. Just wondering if anyone here had some tips.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noor:
I'm kinda weak working with Chrome right now - I'm beta-testing the Google Cr-48 notebook. I'm not a developer, rather testing as a "typical user". The chat feature works in the Chrome browser in Ubuntu and Windows, but not in Chrome OS. Just wondering if anyone here had some tips.

Do you have Sun Java or OpenJDK installed?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
grr, could get in earlier today - when I wasn't free to talk - now my &^(&ing pc is not letting me back in.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
noor
Apprentice
# 16215

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

I do not have java yet, apparently- working on it. I've found a walkthrough, but it involves rooting the thing and I'm a little out of my depth with that.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noor:
quote:

I do not have java yet, apparently- working on it. I've found a walkthrough, but it involves rooting the thing and I'm a little out of my depth with that.
Haven't Google packaged Java up put it in their repository?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a "how to" or a place where errors can be explained for the cafe? 20 odd pages in this thread seemed just a little too much to wade through. I just thought I would try the cafe tonight. I presumed username and password in the Java window is the same as for the boards. Or is a special registration required? Perhaps there is a max number of users/bandwidth problem? I shouldn't think that Java would care much about OS and browser etc. But for full info my OS info from $ cat /proc/version is
code:
Linux version 2.6.35-22-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro .4.4-14ubuntu4) ) 
#33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010

Using Linux Mint version of this. Firefox, Arora, Chromium all initiate Java fine the same way. The Java log window reports the stuff below, comment lines by me start with a "#".
code:
  Socket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a3033" name="reception"/>

# the id= number changes on attempts.

</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 0 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a3034" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="xxxxxx" user="no_prophet"/>

#removed password above

Round trip = 288 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

[ 07. March 2011, 12:30: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sort of error comes up when the café has crashed. It does reset every so often so that any crash is not usually permanent. However, that might be a sign in error. I don't normally get a long error message if I sign in incorrectly.

Your sign in is the same as the boards - so for me it's my real name and the password I was sent for the boards. If you did that, do you have an underscore as part of your name? Because not all the extra punctuation and other symbols were set up initially as possible in sign in names.

The café starts getting overloaded at 50 people in there, which sounds unlikely for last night.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
If you did that, do you have an underscore as part of your name? Because not all the extra punctuation and other symbols were set up initially as possible in sign in names.

Don't know about the limitations on the cafe's implementation of java. Underscores are supposed to be allowed with java since a 2006 bug fix for usernames I though. I'm afraid I picked up the underscore habit from the Unix days. I can try again later today. Thanks for the post.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Nope. I think unless the underscore goes, I probly won't be having any cafe chats. If someone is doing java prg'ing perhaps they can be asked if this is indeed the problem or if they plan to implement the fix for underscores. No knowing what I might be missing otherwise - so just don't tell me! [Biased]
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuck as a ghost. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Stuck as a ghost. [Paranoid]

Replaced ethernet cable now, using brandnew one. Now there's hoping...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the café might have crashed - not 100% sure because I've had recent internet connection updates which came with health warnings.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I fell overboard ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yep, it died

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's back again now, I've just been in and it's like the Marie Celeste.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

She's back
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

And sploosh...

Cafejust crashed me out.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And sploosh...

Cafejust crashed me out.

I'm in now - anyone welcome

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1000 posts - is that some sort of record?

I have crashed out. Anyone else?

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sat htere in solitary splendour, after some considerable period splashing around....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is this computer working?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
lunar
Shipmate
# 16251

- Posted      Profile for lunar   Email lunar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi anyone involved, I'm having a prob getting into the cafe. I download Faverolle, but then get a message asking me what program to open it with, but nothing works. I have Windows 7 starter on a Samsung N150 if that helps.

--------------------
Alone you stand without nobody near
when a trembling distant voice,unclear, startles your sleeping ears to hear
that somebody thinks they really found you. Bob Dylan

Posts: 51 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lunar:
Hi anyone involved, I'm having a prob getting into the cafe. I download Faverolle, but then get a message asking me what program to open it with, but nothing works. I have Windows 7 starter on a Samsung N150 if that helps.

A couple of us are in, but we're regular users. Try Sun Java 6 but it isn't always straightforward. I'm probably better off with XP!

That's about the limit of my tchnical expertise.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lunar
Shipmate
# 16251

- Posted      Profile for lunar   Email lunar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Sioni, I downloaded Java 6 and that sorted it.

--------------------
Alone you stand without nobody near
when a trembling distant voice,unclear, startles your sleeping ears to hear
that somebody thinks they really found you. Bob Dylan

Posts: 51 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fell out.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

So did I, it looked as if it crashed

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It is working now

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I suspect the café has crashed

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

and back now

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:waves:

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Could it be that the Cafe is now definitely broken? I've just updated java, browser is FF 26.0, Win XP SP3.

quote:
Unable to launch the application!
code:
java.lang.SecurityException: Missing required Permissions manifest attribute in main jar:
http://addressofcafeserver.net/java/Faverolle/Faverolle.jar
at com.sun.deploy.security.DeployManifestChecker.verifyMainJar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.security.DeployManifestChecker.verifyMainJar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Sadness.

[ 17. January 2014, 19:50: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

With latest Java - getting all kinds of security warnings.. certificates are all out of date - and security files aren't there...
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

So - that is it then? Goodbye, thou old and (t)rusty Cafe?

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can get in from my Linux desktop but not my Windows XP laptop. It looks like the latest official Java is more fussy about security which makes sense (they took a lot of flak over some security vulnerabilities a while back).

The "cafe" itself is fine and working as it ever was, it's just persuading java to run it without all the security i's dotted and t's crossed is a bit of a pain.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I can always get in, at home on the iMac and at school on the Windows machines, but there's never anyone there!

[Roll Eyes] [Frown]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's the security issues. I'll use the café on the spare laptop which doesn't have anything personal on it, but it's a faff to get it up and running when there's so rarely anyone there. And that laptop is on borrowed time.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

I'm on my primary laptop I use for work - not risking it.

I'm on FB and Twitter though..

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get in from my Mac under OSX, but got in using Linux Mint in VBox.

There was nobody there.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can no longer get into the Café since I changed my laptop, and the old one was not keen on letting me in.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
gave up because Java screws with my machine anyway - the bundling of ASK crap means I will never use it.

But I haven't been a café regular since I left wankydilla at the end of 2006.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently bought new computer.
Down loaded java 7 and landed straight on the
bridge.

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've just been to the Live Chat Cafe again, after having updated Java, and added a security exception to for the (unfortunately...) only http and not https securised Cafe address.

Would it be possible to upgrade the Cafe address to https, and if yes, what would this cost? Access via http Java is deemed very unsafe.

Thanks. [Smile]

(If desired, please feel free to get in touch with me via the board e-mail icon. Ta!)

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Still can't open the file at all. Does nothing. Hasn't done anything for me on two kinds of Windows and a Mac since 2012. [Frown]

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Indeed. I'm on Win 7, and relucantly had to add a Java security exception, see here on how to proceed. However, I'm hesitant to use this for more than experimental access.

Thus I'd appreciate comments on my earlier enquiry above. Ta. [Smile]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The chat functionality is not a high priority for our technical/editorial team, though options are being considered. You can reasonably expect those considerations to be pending for the foreseeable future.

Sorry.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never should have given up the Gorringe.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016